Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/20/2020 – 4/26/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    jforb
    Participant

Shouldn’t guy running it for the league office be muting everyone and just unmuting the guy actively announcing the pick?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Right, like a regular everyday webinar for example.  Heck I can set up a Zoom or Teams meeting and start it with everyone in mute and select if I want to take everyone or a particular person off mute.  Then again, every exec that sets up a Zoom/Teams meeting never does that, and you spend the first 5 minutes people to put it on mute.

Coma
    Participant

I decided to check in with old friend Scott Kacsmar. He’s got a blog post up about how he was social distancing before social distancing was cool. It’s not really a humor piece as Scott reveals his personal record for not leaving the house is 9 months. He’s 33 or 34, lives at home with his mom and avoids human contact as much as possible. I’d almost feel bad for him if he wasn’t such a douchebag online.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Film podcast guy with a Goodell nugget:

Coma
    Participant

I watched a little of the Patriots-Colts MNF game from 2005. With Indy comfortably ahead in the 3rd quarter, they showed a graphic stating that Dungy coached teams were 50-0 when leading by 14+ points. That sounded like one of those data points that Patriots haters claim is impossible and is a sign of cheating.

I watched a little of the Patriots-Colts MNF game from 2005. With Indy comfortably ahead in the 3rd quarter, they showed a graphic stating that Dungy coached teams were 50-0 when leading by 14+ points. That sounded like one of those data points that Patriots haters claim is impossible and is a sign of cheating.

Three STANDARD DEVIATIONS!!!</O’Leary>

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

So Brady really does act like a typical rich guy. Shocker. Wonder if he pulled the “Do you know who I am?”

chicowalker
    Participant

I decided to check in with old friend Scott Kacsmar. He’s got a blog post up about how he was social distancing before social distancing was cool. It’s not really a humor piece as Scott reveals his personal record for not leaving the house is 9 months. He’s 33 or 34, lives at home with his mom and avoids human contact as much as possible. I’d almost feel bad for him if he wasn’t such a douchebag online.

Holy shit. That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever read.  Though I’m calling bullshit on this

How do I manage online dating? By being a good texter (read: not a creep or fuckboy), I actually get most women to meet me at my house for the first date.

“I’m 33, unemployed, and live with my mom”

“Be right over!”

Participant

“I’m 33, unemployed, and live with my mom”

Triple threat.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

“It puts the lotion on the skin, or it gets the hose again. Also, Brady is just a system quarterback.”

jforb
    Participant
    Lebron
    Participant

When Allbright was getting dragged for his service record Kacsmar jumped in saying ‘these guys did the same thing to me’ like some desperate attempt to gain a friend.  I don’t think it worked.

Lebron
    Participant

Watched Game 5 Celtics Pacers ’91 this morning.  Not sure if I’ve seen Bird that fired up in a non kill Laimbeer way.

Lebron
    Participant

WNBA draft had its highest viewership in 16 years so my draft viewing analysis appears to be wrong as usual.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Am I wrong for thinking that Vrabel runs away with this?

Coma
    Participant

Kacsmar is like Comic Book Guy come to life:

“Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, the Vulcans, breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will be much less breeding. For me, much, much more.”

Except he isn’t trying to be funny. You can’t help but feel some pity after reading that blog. He mentions how he would exercise if he had a stationary bike, but he doesn’t have one. That means he spent most of the last 12 years indoors, eating takeout and not exercising. He also fancies himself a screenwriter. How can you write about how people interact if you not only avoid meeting people in person, but avoid going out to see how people act in real life? One of these days, Kacsmar’s going to realize he’s wasted the prime of his life sitting inside.

Participant

Time for the flood of “Parcells started it all….” articles and hottakez

Yahtzee
    Participant

WNBA draft had its highest viewership in 16 years so my draft viewing analysis appears to be wrong as usual.

From 25 to 35 people?

They televise their draft? The WNBA doesn’t even televise some of their games.

Coma
    Participant

Looking at the last couple years, the WNBA has been televised on ESPN2 at 7 PM eastern. Of course, in those years, it was competing with live baseball, hockey and basketball for viewers.

What was really hard to believe was that I saw ESPN replaying some WNBA playoff games last week. I can see tuning into old NFL, MLB, NHL or NBA games, but I’ve never heard anyone say “Why don’t they replay the Phoenix Mercury-Seattle Storm game 2 from 2017? That was awesome!”

Lebron
    Participant

So Kacsmar is a racist version of the Sigourney Weaver character in that serial killer movie?

Not a surprise he’s as much of a racist as he is I guess.  Probably never met anyone on a personal level that wasn’t white.

Last night, I saw that ESPN was re-airing their 1989 NFL Draft coverage. At first, I was thinking, “Who the hell would want to watch this?”, but I was quickly compelled by curiosity: how quaint and dated the production itself would be; the 100% assurance there would be some terrible, terrible predictions; and of course, the helmet phones. It did not disappoint.

On the whole, this wasn’t a very strong draft, but it was noteworthy for having four Hall of Famers in the first five picks. Living in Minnesota, it’s especially gratifying to watch the Packers draft Tony Mandarich ahead of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.

The draft kicked off with an alleged “big story” that fizzled quickly: a possible trade of Jim McMahon to the Chargers for “two top draft choices”. ESPN went immediately to Pete Axthelm onsite in Illinois, and he was predictably unfunny:

“With my incredible instinct for news and sheer luck, I do happen to be sitting on the big story of the draft.”

Imagine thinking trading that mediocrity was “big news”. Although had the Chargers given up the eighth pick overall for him, as they were predicting, I guess that would have been a story. Instead, they stayed put and drafted Burt Grossman. They did complete the trade later that August, for a conditional pick (first, second or third-rounder in ’90) depending on how much McMahon played for the Chargers. McMahon started 11 games for them, enough to garner a second round pick in ’90. He was benched the final four games of the season. One report said he was criticized by local columnists after he blew his nose on a reporter (can you imagine that in New England?) in late October. McMahon was released in April of 1990, four days after the Bears used the second round pick they got for him.

At the tail end of Axthelm’s segment, he says Bill Tobin and Mike McCaskey were still in a meeting about the potential trade, and would join him as soon as they finalize the deal. Stay tuned.

The Cowboys quickly drafted Aikman, and they went to Chris Myers with Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones. Of note was Myers saying the Patriots had offered their first three picks, plus their first in ’90, for the pick. Johnson surely marked the Pats as chumps at that moment, setting the stage for when he fleeced them two years later.

Next up: Mandarich. “There’s no doubt about that one, certainly,” Bob Ley gushed. Apparently not having many superlatives for offensive linemen, Ley twice in 30 seconds said of Mandaraich: “The likes of which we have never seen.”

Ley turns to Mel Kiper, who says this on Aikman:

“You have to be patient, Bob, and I think the Dallas Cowboys are in a position right now to where they can develop Troy Aikman, but he’s not gonna be the savior in Dallas. Steve Pelluer is gonna open the season as their number one quarterback.

With Aikman and Steve Walsh drafted that year, Pelluer asked for a trade, which was granted that October.

Back to Berman with Tom Jackson and Joe Theismann. Theismann on Mandarich:

“Tony Mandarich has the largest arms I have seen since Hulk Hogan.”

Prior to KC drafting Thomas, Berman’s still talking like the McMahon trade’s a done deal. Ley repeats that after Tampa takes Broderick Thomas. With San Diego on the clock after the Steelers take Worley, Theismann says about the deal, “Nothing is dead, but nothing is still going.”

With the Chargers still on the clock, they go to Andrea Kremer at McMahon’s agents house. Nothing new to report, Andrea says, and shoots it to Axthelm.  He says there’s little to report in between his nervous stammers, except that McMahon’s been on local television “basically saying sayonara, he thinks he’s out of Chicago, he thinks it’s a done deal.” He goes on to editorialize:

“I have to agree with what I said on Game Day this morning. You think of Jim McMahon – the head bands, the flair, the style – and they can just brush him aside. It seems as though they raised the price of fame.”

What the everlasting fuck? What was this ridiculous fascination with McMahon? The guy never played a full 16 games throughout his entire career. He completed less than 60% of his passes throughout his time in Chicago, he threw nearly as many interceptions as touchdowns, and the most yards he ever threw for were just under 2400 in ’85. And here’s Axthelm thinking the Bears are ditching this 30-year-old underwhelmer because they couldn’t handle the headbands anymore?

As the Chargers’ clock starts winding down, they’re slowly getting the gist the McMahon trade’s not happening. They get to talking about who the Chargers might pick. Mel says Hart Lee Dykes is one possibility. After Grossman goes, Kiper raves:

“There’s no question Burt Grossman’s the best defensive lineman in this draft, and on some teams’ boards, Bob, he was the number one player in the entire draft.”

Well, if that’s the case, it’s no wonder they were unwilling to part with the pick, despite the shining specter that McMahon represents. Ley shoots it back to stammerin’ Pete to talk about McMahon still being a Bear:

“Yes, he is, um uh, it appears the deal didn’t go through. Um, there are two possibilities here, obviously: one is that the Chargers could have taken Grossman and put him in a package which will go to the Bears eventually for McMahon. I think more likely is, as I reported earlier this morning, that I think San Diego preferred the deal where they get – Steve Ortmeyer, the general manager of San Diego, really likes Stan Humphries, the backup quarterback for the Redskins – where they get Humphries, offensive tackle (Ed) Simmons, and a bunch of draft choices change hands, and Gerald Riggs goes to the Redskins. I think that’s what we’re going to see as the day goes on.”

That was hilarious to watch. Axthelm’s like a precursor to Breer, balancing on a wire without a net and with nothing but bullshit to report. Except Axthelm was risky, throwing out actual names and places that would burn him if they didn’t come to fruition. Breer at least has the good sense to always give himself a CYA way out of any speculation. Humphries did eventually go to San Diego, but like three years later. Simmons stayed put, and Riggs thing had to do with some other speculation about a three-way deal involving Atlanta. The Redskins gave up three picks for Riggs dealing directly; too bad that wasn’t Axthelm’s lede.

Still sticking with this (I gotta at least make it to the Jets pick for the Kiper Jeff Lageman commentary). Theismann speculates when they get to the Bears picks, “that’s when you might hear Jim’s name come up again.” :blink: So the logic is somebody will be looking to trade for McMahon and the Bears’ first-rounder for… what now? Berman nods his head like this makes sense.

Finally get to Jets/Lageman. Ley and Kiper are apoplectic:

LEY: This is a reach. This is like Muggsy Bogues trying to block a shot by Manute Bol. Lageman, not only is that a reach, but it’s certainly going to have a domino effect through the middle of this first round.
    KIPER: I’ll tell you what, Bob. It’s obvious to me right now that the Jets don’t know what the draft’s all about. When you buy in the draft is just as important as who you select. What they’re saying right now is that Jeff Lageman is one of the top ten players in this draft, and there’s just no way.

Mel’s right: drafting Lageman at 14 absolutely is sending the message that Lageman is one of the top ten players in this draft. He compounds this by saying Dykes is the player they should have taken. :lol:

Stuck with this ’til the Pats’ pick at 16. Universal praise from the ESPN crew for the Dykes pick. “New England just can’t believe their good fortune,” says Berman.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Good stuff.  Dykes looked to be a good pick until he broke his knee, right?    The Lageman one was great as was Kiper’s exchange with Bill Tobin of the Colts when they picked Trev Alberts.  At least Lageman hung in the league longer than Trev Alberts.

Lebron
    Participant

Herald reporting Gronkowski is requesting a trade to Tampa.

Participant

Really good – BBTL, I happened by that as they were discussing the Dykes pick – one of the positives (don’t remember who said it) was that Hart Lee wasn’t going to be anywhere near the bright lights and big city of downtown Boston.

In fairness, who among us had heard of Club Shalamar in 1989? :lol:

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar