Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/20/2020 – 4/26/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 164 total)
  • Author

Herald reporting Gronkowski is requesting a trade to Tampa.

I’ve been trying to find the details of the Russ Francis trade to San Francisco. If the Globe is to be believed, it was this:

Finally, the Patriots traded Francis and a second round pick in the 1982 draft to the 49ers in exchange for a first round pick, two second round picks, and a fourth round pick. While Francis would go on to help Walsh and the 49ers to their second Super Bowl, the Patriots would use one of the second round picks to draft future Hall of Fame linebacker Andre Tippett.

What would Gronk be worth?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

What does Gronk actually miss about the constant injuries? I feel like everyone was happy he got out ‘healthy’.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Lots of folks out here dunking on BillTheCoach/GM receipts are in order.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

The dunkers think they’ve traded 2011 Gronk.

Lebron
    Participant

Gronk and a 7 for a 4.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

From the Pats perspective, they just received a free 4th round pick for absolutely nothing. (Well, the 7th)

What would Gronk be worth?

Well, this will give the radio stations fodder for a while. Didn’t think of the leverage Gronk would have with his cap hit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This will give Tom a chance to win the coveted 24/7 title.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Steve Burton with a breaking news tweet at 520 is about as on brand as you can get.  Never change you magnificent, goofy, likeable bastard.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Steve Burton with a breaking news tweet at 520 is about as on brand as you can get. Never change you magnificent, goofy, likeable bastard.

Burtons kid just transferred from UCLA to Purdue.

Yahtzee
    Participant

UCLA to Purdue? Sad.

BrianInLA
    Participant

This will give Tom a chance to win the coveted 24/7 title.

This fact was just posted by the WWE it appears n

jforb
    Participant

Someone want to explain all the board people arguing with idiots over this stuff on twitter? Wasn’t the point of this place to get away from them?

Yahtzee
    Participant

They’re taking their talents to South Beach Jack Dorsey.

Participant

48 hours away from Brother John going full Mortimer Duke.

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t believe they got all of that for Russ Francis and a 2.  I was happy for Gronkowski getting out and actually thought Brady leaving would put a bow on it for him in terms of wanting to come back. The Patriots got everything out of these guys that you could have hoped for and are moving forward.  Timely with all the Bulls nostalgia. Bulls barely got by Indiana in the ECF.  Rodman was full blown batshit and old, Pippen was gone, everyone was older.  How much more were they going to get out of that group?  That was realistically the last one anyhow.  Everyone is acting like they were going to win 2 more, I’m not even sure they were even going to win 1 more.  Even if Brady stays and Gronkowski comes back, are they winning it all?

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

Someone want to explain all the board people arguing with idiots over this stuff on twitter? Wasn’t the point of this place to get away from them?

The tall man is revisiting Bertie’s 2010 draft analysis over there now and it’s wonderful.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

It’s like an Away Team in Star Trek, except with no Prime Directive.

3 users thanked author for this post.

I can’t believe they got all of that for Russ Francis and a 2. I was happy for Gronkowski getting out and actually thought Brady leaving would put a bow on it for him in terms of wanting to come back. The Patriots got everything out of these guys that you could have hoped for and are moving forward. Timely with all the Bulls nostalgia. Bulls barely got by Indiana in the ECF. Rodman was full blown batshit and old, Pippen was gone, everyone was older. How much more were they going to get out of that group? That was realistically the last one anyhow. Everyone is acting like they were going to win 2 more, I’m not even sure they were even going to win 1 more. Even if Brady stays and Gronkowski comes back, are they winning it all?

1982 49ers Twitter would have torn into Bill Walsh for that deal. Francis played for a number of years afterward and put up OK numbers, but nothing to justify that kind of draft haul. Really shows how pre-cap era put so much less value on draft picks.

This trade is a blessing to the sports writers, with the multiple “Bad Belichick” narratives they can derive from it. Like Braindead Ross Tucker’s “Gronk didn’t retire from football. He retired from Belichick.” There’s no counter-argument, since Gronk did in fact un-retire to go elsewhere. When Gronk retired, I was happy for him, because his body had gotten beaten to shit. Retiring was his opportunity to avoid becoming another NFL cautionary tale. You know, like Braindead Ross Tucker.

It was just last September that Gronk said he had like 20 concussions over his career (another opportunity for the “Bad Belichick” narratives to flow, and they did). One of the talking points about the Texans acquiring Brandin Cooks is his five documented concussions. So are we supposed to just gloss over Gronk’s 20 now? That it’s perfectly alright for Tampa to put his 20 back out there, while questioning Bill O’Brien doing the same with Cooks’ five?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

“I truly believe that any injury you receive is fixable. I went through it. I had nine surgeries, probably had like 20 concussions in my life, no lie. I remember like five blackout ones.”

Gronk has playfully hinted at a return to the Patriots down the road, but unless he can guarantee avoiding further brain injury, he might be better off staying away from the game.

Lebron
    Participant

I think about Gronkowski and Bill talking about when to get his hands out when running a route to catch the ball.  Bill goes up to him and notices what he is doing, Gronkowski explains the idea, based upon what he’s learned over the years, and Bill himself is engaged, like he’s loving that a player is teaching him something and also that the player is learning/adapting to challenges he faces.  Gronkowski loved that shit as much as Bill, it was evident.  Then their chat after 53 and what they did and how they changed to prove everyone wrong. Bill knows everything Gronkowski brings to the game, both blocking and receiving, and he made some key catches at key moments in both the AFCCG and Super Bowl.  Gronkowski knows that Bill appreciates all that he does.  Does that even remotely support the idea that Gronkowski concluded, you know what, I hate Bill Belichick and he’s why I’m quitting football?

BrianInLA
    Participant

I can sort of see Gronk’s view on this. Playing for the Pats is hard. Playing for Bill is hard. You don’t want to let the guy down. Playing for entitled, whiny Pats fans has to be exhausting. Whereas playing for some random dudes in Tampa, with your pal QB, and for fans who are just happy you’re wearing their jersey and you can probably take a much more laid back approach might seem fun. I know pro athletes mostly have a work ethic that blows away the rest of us but I just can’t see Gronk going into this with a 2011 ‘win at all cost even if it means killing myself’ mentality. I may be wrong.

Coma
    Participant

If there really was animosity between the Patriots and Gronk, why would Belichick trade him? What’s Gronk going to do, refuse to play? Hold out? He has no leverage. If Belichick was the petty villain the media portrays him as, he would tell Gronk, “Convince Tampa to give up a first round pick for you. If you can’t do that, enjoy retirement.”

As for Ross Tucker, I’m sure he believes that the Patriots didn’t cut him, he cut the Patriots.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Not sure how Gronk’s contract is structured or if he even cares but if you think about the very real possibility of next to no off-season work and maybe even a shortened regular season he may end up pulling down 9 Million while putting in a fraction of the time and effort he was used to at Gillette.

Lebron
    Participant

That Dondero guy is all around Twitter saying how the Patriots screwed Gronkowski on the last contract by making it heavily incentive based.  I don’t even know if that’s true with regard to the incentives, I never bothered to look.  Gronkowski has one of the more if not the most aggressive agents in Drew Rosenhaus, I have a hard time thinking anyone got screwed here.  And as pointed out, if they wanted to screw him, they could have said nope you only play for us as long as the contract is in effect.  And to put the screws on you harder, we’ll franchise your ass next year, we’re just that spiteful.  Instead they trade him the same fucking day as the request is made public, to the destination he wanted.  Talk about a shitty employer!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar