Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/20/2020 – 4/26/2020 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

That Dondero guy is all around Twitter saying how the Patriots screwed Gronkowski on the last contract by making it heavily incentive based. I don’t even know if that’s true with regard to the incentives, I never bothered to look. Gronkowski has one of the more if not the most aggressive agents in Drew Rosenhaus, I have a hard time thinking anyone got screwed here. And as pointed out, if they wanted to screw him, they could have said nope you only play for us as long as the contract is in effect. And to put the screws on you harder, we’ll franchise your ass next year, we’re just that spiteful. Instead they trade him the same fucking day as the request is made public, to the destination he wanted. Talk about a shitty employer!

Pats had him traded 2 years ago.   I’m not listening to sportstradio but how many times does BB have to be right about separating from guys a year early rather than a year late for fanz to stop bitching about it?  Pretty sure they don’t think he has much left.

jforb
    Participant

#hirecora

Didn’t Gronk have some leverage in that they didn’t want his contract on the cap as would happen if he unretired before being traded?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Yes and yes.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Look like the Sox are getting off light with sign stealing. JT Wakins seems to be taking the fall. Henry will probably give him a free Globe subscription for his efforts.

The sanctions:

• Video replay operator J.T. Watkins will be banned through the 2020 playoffs and taking the same position in 2021;
    • Former Mmanager Alex Cora is banned through the 2020 playoffs, but only for his conduct with Houston Astros in 2017, as bench coach, which was detailed in the Astros’ disciplinary report, not for anything he did with the Red Sox; and
    • The team will lose a second round pick in the 2020 draft.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

This has to be what the Sox were hoping for in only naming Roenicke “interim” manager. Cora has a good shot to be back in 2021.

jforb
    Participant

Instead, the league is looking at regional NHL arenas, aligned by division, where teams could potentially finish their seasons. Sources told ESPN that the current favorites are the home rinks for the Carolina Hurricanes (Metropolitan Division), Edmonton Oilers (Pacific Division) and Minnesota Wild (Central Division). A front-runner from the Atlantic Division has yet to emerge.
    The NHL’s goal remains to finish the regular season, which had 189 games remaining when it was paused due to the COVID-19 outbreak on March 12. One concept would be to play multiple games throughout the day at these sites, like one would see at international tournaments.

I’m sure the ice in Carolina will hold up well for multiple games a day in July.

Lebron
    Participant

From Curran:

Gronk says he would have considered returning to Patriots if that’s where Brady landed. “It would have def been an opportunity I would have looked at. Playing with Tom is something special.”

Hold on, that doesn’t support the “Gronk retired from Bill!” argument.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

So the NHL wants to finish out the regular season starting in June/July. Run a full 2+ month playoff and then re-start the regular season in October. Umm, OK.

From Curran:

Gronk says he would have considered returning to Patriots if that’s where Brady landed. “It would have def been an opportunity I would have looked at. Playing with Tom is something special.”

Hold on, that doesn’t support the “Gronk retired from Bill!” argument.

But it does support the “Bill should have paid Brady!” angle. From Shank’s perspective, it’s all win-win.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Just saw Pete Abraham on MLB channel when did he get the Jeff Reardon makeover.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Look like the Sox are getting off light with sign stealing. JT Wakins seems to be taking the fall. Henry will probably give him a free Globe subscription for his efforts.

The sanctions:

• Video replay operator J.T. Watkins will be banned through the 2020 playoffs and taking the same position in 2021;
    • Former Mmanager Alex Cora is banned through the 2020 playoffs, but only for his conduct with Houston Astros in 2017, as bench coach, which was detailed in the Astros’ disciplinary report, not for anything he did with the Red Sox; and
    • The team will lose a second round pick in the 2020 draft.

Poor Watkins. His father is a Sox scout who works the Deep South and J.T. was a bush-league catcher in the Red Sox farm system who, after he hung them up, had been seen as having some kind of future in baseball in a scouting, coaching or player development slot.  This may be a blackball for him in that regard. Because … need scapegoats.  Of course, baseball let Leo Durocher back in in 1948 after suspending him for the entire 1947 season. Roger Kahn wrote that it was whispered that Durocher, a huge gambler with ties to mob figures (friends of his friends were “friends of ours”, shall we say), may have thrown the best of three 1946 National League playoff against the Cardinals. The Dodgers won a coin toss to determine how the best of three series would play out.  Durocher won the toss and, saying that he wanted his club to have games 2 and 3 at Ebbets Field, “deferred” — that is, he chose to give the Cardinals home field for game 1.  Trouble was, the Cardinals kicked Leo’s team’s ass in St. Louis in game 1, the went to Brooklyn and did the same thing in game 2 for a 2-0 series sweep. (And then they went on to beat Teddy Ballgame’s 1946 Red Sox in the World Series.). Speculation was that MLB did a secret investigation during 1947 that debunked the rumor and cleared Durocher.  Now he’s in the damned Hall of Fame.

Baseball. It’s a grand game, Danny! :dry:

And Matthew Slater could have taught Durocher a thing or two about coin tosses. :lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Funny I saw something on MLB Network about ‘51 and Branca was still pissed the Dodgers won the toss and elected to play Game 1 at Ebbetts and give the 2 road games at The Polo Grounds.  Wasn’t aware that they let the team winning the flip decide but it was an odd format.  Would say I’d have taken the home games.  I remember they toyed with the idea of letting the team with the better record in the NBA Finals decide if they wanted the front and back ends of the 2-3-2 format at home or the middle 3.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Poor Branca. He and Thomson lived another 50 years after he coughed up the pennant-choking home run in game 3 of the 1951 playoff and had to have done thousands of interviews together or separately about “The Short Heard Round the World.”  He usually came off as a good sport, but he must have been seething every time. In a few interviews with him I’ve read, though, he comes off as a bitter guy.

Before the expansion of the postseason that came in the 1990s, the NL bylaws had a best of three format to break a tie. They played for 70 years without needing a tie-breaker series, then had four of them between 1946 and 1962. The Dodgers were involved in all four, and they lost three of them. (They beat the Braves in 1959.). The American League bylaws called for a one game, winner-take-all showdown, and only needed to resort to it twice, in 1948 and 1978.  The Red Sox, of course, were involved both times, had home field both times, and …

To prevent coin flips, they could have used head to head play to determine who got HFA. With a balanced schedule, it could have worked perfectly. The Cardinals went 14-8 against Brooklyn in 1946, so they would have had games 2 and 3 at St. Louis. The Giants were 9-13 against the Dodgers in 1951, so Brooklyn should have had game 3 at home (thus, no “walk-off” for Thomson and no frenzied PBP call to live on forever). The 1959 Dodgers went 12-10 against the Braves, and they did have home field, sweeping with game 1 in Milwaukee and game 2 in LA.  The 1962 Dodgers and Giants went 9-9 against each other, so that one would have need a different tie-breaker, perhaps runs for and against, if not a coin toss.  Ditto in 1948, when the Indians and Red Sox split their 22-game regular season games. In 1978, Boston and New York played 15 regular-season games (thanks to the expanded, 14-team American League) and the Yankees won eight of those 15 games before BFD and his pop-fly home run. That would have been caught easily in Yankee Stadium, of course, but I’m sure the Sox would have found a different way to lose.  (And yes, I looked this shit up because I’m procrastinating on a work project right now.)

:lol:

Another weird thing about these tie-breakers is that the statistics counted toward the regular season, not as a “postseason” stat. Thus you have guys like Maury Wills getting into 165 games for the 1962 Dodgers.

:blink:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

#Baseball #TheMick

Mickey Mantle once slipped a female reporter a cutesy greeting card during an interview — with the message “Wanna f–k?” written inside.

jforb
    Participant

The blowjob in the bleachers story is great too.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Didn’t the Dodgers and Astros play a 1 game playoff in 1980, with the Astros winning on Dodger Stadium?

BrianInLA
    Participant

95 degrees this weekend. Beaches in LA closed. Beaches in Ventura open but you have to be moving. No lying, standing, sitting and you have to stay 6 feet from everyone. 12 million people crowding the beaches in Ventura and somehow staying 6 feet apart? No chance. My civil war prediction may get moved up a week or two.

Every county here has different rules and its a nightmare. Riverside county you have to wear a mask at all times, no exception, even walking the dog. But golf courses are open (you have to wear a mask while playing and one person per cart). LA county its up to each store if they want to require masks but no golf or parks or hiking. Ventura has golf and hiking open and no mask needed. But don’t be caught lying down anywhere. Simmons main house, masks all the time. Simmons beach house, no masks needed.

Lebron
    Participant

Any outdoor activity around here is bananas.  State DOT had to close off lots on Loveland and Berthoud passes because they get too crowded with backcountry skiers.  Hiking trail parking lots are backed up onto highways, so obviously single track trails aren’t practicing distancing.  Araphaoe Basin ski area, which typically can stay open into June and aims to be open on the 4th, is still holding out that they might be able to reopen.  That won’t get too crowded..  Oh golf courses too, they are mostly open.  Salons open next week.  My wife’s person called to say she could schedule her but wife said no worries I’m fine the person responded with relief, said she’s not too happy.   Couple of friends in the restaurant industry not happy about going back either but feel there’s no choice.

Lebron
    Participant

Any outdoor activity around here is bananas.  State DOT had to close off lots on Loveland and Berthoud passes because they get too crowded with backcountry skiers.  Hiking trail parking lots are backed up onto highways, so obviously single track trails aren’t practicing distancing.  Araphaoe Basin ski area, which typically can stay open into June and aims to be open on the 4th, is still holding out that they might be able to reopen.  That won’t get too crowded..  Oh golf courses too, they are mostly open.  Salons open next week.  My wife’s person called to say she could schedule her but wife said no worries I’m fine the person responded with relief, said she’s not too happy.   Couple of friends in the restaurant industry not happy about going back either but feel there’s no choice.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m so live-sports deprived I may actually watch the draft this year. :-(

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Didn’t the Dodgers and Astros play a 1 game playoff in 1980, with the Astros winning on Dodger Stadium?

You’re right. That was a wild year for the Astros, considering the NLCS to follow.  The NL must have changed its tiebreaker bylaws to a one-game, WTA showdown a la the American League when it went to divisional play in 1969.  The 1980 Astros and the 1980 Dodgers each played 163 regular-season games.

EDIT: So the NL had five tie-breakers between 1946 and 1980, all of them involving the Dodgers, and the Bums lost four of them. :lol:

I knew the 1951 Giants were stealing signs, but didn’t know this was reported way back in ’01. Nor did I know the details of how they did it:

Desperate for an edge, Durocher assigned third base coach Herman Franks to take Schenz’s portable telescope to Durocher’s clubhouse office, then located above center field at the Polo Grounds, the Giants’ home field. Durocher then had the Polo Grounds’ electrician, Abraham Chadwick, place an electric button in the office and run wires from the button to buzzers in the Giants’ bullpen and dugout, Prager discovered.

The telescope was powerful enough that Franks could easily see the opposing catcher’s signs — one finger for a fastball, two for a curveball or change-up. (Sliders and split-finger fastballs had not yet been invented.) Protective wire mesh was cut away from the glass window to remove an obstacle for the telescope, photos of the Polo Grounds show.

In the bullpen, backup catcher Sal Yvars waited. If there was one buzz from Franks, the pitch was a fastball. Two buzzes meant a breaking pitch. Yvars told HBO in 2001 that he then relayed the pitches to the dugout with a ball. If he tossed the ball in the air, the next pitch would be a breaking ball. If he held the ball, it would be a fastball.

And apparently, Durocher started it just prior to their historic run:

Their comeback coincided with a team meeting on July 20 at which Durocher asked his players who wanted to be given the pitches. About half did. Soon, the Giants won 16 in a row to get back into the race — 13 of them at home.

Durocher “asked each person if he wanted the sign,” said Monte Irvin, now 81. “I told him no. He said, ‘You mean to tell me, if a fat fastball is coming, you don’t want to know?’ ”

Branca learned of the whole thing in ’54, when he was teammates with a former Giant in Detroit. He may have been bitter about it, but held his tongue for 50 years while appearing alongside Thomson at appearances and signing memorabilia.

George Will did a finger-wagging column the week after the sign-stealing was revealed. Check out this sanctimonious horseshit:

Sport is a moral undertaking because it requires of participants, and it schools spectators in the appreciation of, noble things — courage, grace under pressure, sportsmanship. Sport should be the triumph of character, openly tested, not of technology, surreptitiously employed. The importance of protecting the integrity of competition from the threat of advantages obtained illicitly is underscored by the sense of melancholy, of loss, that baseball fans now feel about the no longer quite so luminous season of 1951.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Also, Branca’s son in law was/is Bobby Valentine.  Imagine having that asshole married to your daughter.  Poor bastard.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Ding away but I’d call the Bucs and say fuck it you want Edelman too, give me your other 4th or a 3rd next year and we’re done.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Florio thinks he’s seeing Desperadoes under the Eaves with Brady in that Tampa Park :blink:

Tom Brady’s accidental trespass creates other potential problems

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar