Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/29/19 – 5/5/10 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 158 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Suzy
    Participant

<noscript>

Did you hear about Tom Ellis?

That picture is so disturbing. :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Was Nat pissed because Ellis was blocking Chet though?  If I remember correctly Chet was a second stringer so I guess Nat would have a bee in her bonnet over Ellis sitting in the seat she thought her husband should be in.  Then Ellis moved to Channel 7 I think.

Suzy
    Participant

Was Nat pissed because Ellis was blocking Chet though? If I remember correctly Chet was a second stringer so I guess Nat would have a bee in her bonnet over Ellis sitting in the seat she thought her husband should be in. Then Ellis moved to Channel 7 I think.

Not sure what drove her anger, honestly. That may be it. But treating a colleague like that–on the freaking air no less!–was beyond cunty, not to mention unprofessional.

Remember my brother saying he’d see post-divorce Chet hanging out at all the Marina Bay bars, drinking and chatting with the ladies and anyone else who approached him. He had a hell of a time for himself. :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

The NBA is going down the shitter

The Houston Rockets believe officiating in last season’s Western Conference finals cost them an NBA championship, and in a report since sent to the league, tabulated the net result of 81 potential missed calls and non-calls in Game 7 of that series between Houston and the Golden State Warriors, according to the report and an accompanying memo, both of which have been obtained by ESPN.

“Referees likely changed the eventual NBA champion,” says the memo, addressed to Byron Spruell, the NBA’s president of league operations. “There can be no worse result for the NBA.”

Everyone spends every waking moment complaining about officiating and crying that it cost them games/series/championships.  Nothing about their play, nothing about taking in to account that the other team likely has ’81” versions of their own missed/blown calls.  The least resilient people ever.  Who the fuck audits officiating and claims that the calls likely changed the champion?  We found um, er, shit who was my favorite football player as a kid Russ Francis he wore number 81 81 potential missed calls/non calls!

Lebron
    Participant

Was Nat pissed because Ellis was blocking Chet though? If I remember correctly Chet was a second stringer so I guess Nat would have a bee in her bonnet over Ellis sitting in the seat she thought her husband should be in. Then Ellis moved to Channel 7 I think.

Not sure what drove her anger, honestly. That may be it. But treating a colleague like that–on the freaking air no less!–was beyond cunty, not to mention unprofessional.

Remember my brother saying he’d see post-divorce Chet hanging out at all the Marina Bay bars, drinking and chatting with the ladies and anyone else who approached him. He had a hell of a time for himself. :lol:

I remember this stuff because that was what my parents would talk about, stuff like Tom Ellis pissing off Nat or Chet getting him tossed and who knocked up Liz Walker.  Great memories.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ironhead
    Participant

I was working part time nights & weekends at Captain Fishbone’s in Marina Bay in ’02/’03 and can confirm that Chet was always there and more often that not with a very attractive women.

1 user thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

IH heard your podcast yesterday. Good stuff  Though the one giggly dude drove me a bit nuts.  It sounded kind of like Negan talking to a couple of twelve year old acolytes :lol:

Celtics and Bucks is the ECF as far as I’m concerned. Those other teams are trash.  James Freaking Ennis is the Sixers first guard off the bench :ohmy:   And the Raptors only won 1/2 at home with Philly shooting 39%  and Leonard averaging 40/9/4 on 62/35/89% shooting.  Let that dogshit go seven and the Celtics can curb stomp whatever husk emerges

Lebron
    Participant

I still can’t get over the Rockets pulling that bullshit yesterday with ‘we audited the calls from Game 7 last year, it likely effected the determination of the eventual NBA champion.’  Motherfucker you guys shot 7-44 from 3.

Ironhead
    Participant

I think the Raptors are a tougher matchup for the C’s than the Bucks, Chico.   Giannis is obviously incredible but he’s more limited offensively than Kawhi.   I know I forgot how great Kawhi was until recently.

Lebron
    Participant

I never really got in to the complaining about referees before the games even start but now its one of the worst features of NBA fan twitter.  Maybe it’s from going to however many youth games now and watching parents berate officials at U11 games, or maybe it’s Belichick emphasizing how the officials actually do a great job and the number of calls that they get right is incredible given the circumstances.   It’s like building in excuses before the game in case ‘your team’ loses.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

I was working part time nights & weekends at Captain Fishbone’s in Marina Bay in ’02/’03 and can confirm that Chet was always there and more often that not with a very attractive women.

Captain Fishbone’s

I remember that place, IH!! What an odd, unappetizing name.

Hey, good for Chet. He lived life to the fullest! Kind of like an upscale One-More-Beer-Gamere without the gross creepiness! :lol:

Suzy
    Participant

So apparently someone thinks playing “Convivial Host” Artie Bucco with their  guests is awesome and cool. :weei:

Another reason (as if anyone needed one) to avoid.

chicowalker
    Participant

I think the Raptors are a tougher matchup for the C’s than the Bucks, Chico. Giannis is obviously incredible but he’s more limited offensively than Kawhi. I know I forgot how great Kawhi was until recently.

maybe- but any adversity he may be gazing towards LA and hopefully there’s enough clenched b-hole institutional memory there among guys that have been there the last few years

want Philly for other than path of least resistance reasons.  I never had the animus towards them that I might (Toney/Dr J heyday was just a bit before my time, and always liked Barkley) but I fucking hate this iteration.  No problem with Toronto

Twinkletoes
    Participant

Enjoyed IH on the podcast. These “Minifans” are bit douchy with there love of Kirk. They don’t hold one opinion different that there idol Kirk., They remind me of Double A, Bobo, Marriann From Brooklyn and High Pitch Eric all in one.  It’s pathetic.

Participant

Eff Caldwell, Bobby and any other Sixers related Jones of that era.

Coma
    Participant

I still can’t get over the Rockets pulling that bullshit yesterday with ‘we audited the calls from Game 7 last year, it likely effected the determination of the eventual NBA champion.’ Motherfucker you guys shot 7-44 from 3.

I’m sure the Rockets’ review of the officiating was completely objective and unbiased. Let’s have GS review that series and see how many calls they find in Houston’s favor.

It’s like the constant “The Patriots get all the calls in the playoffs” whining. After the most recent SB win, there were a bunch of highlight videos on Youtube commemorating the six championships. I had forgotten that the Patriots had a 20 yard gain called back due to OPI on their final drive against the Panthers. That’s a pretty big call with 50 seconds left in the 4th quarter of a tied Super Bowl. No one brings it up because the Patriots overcame the 1st and 20 and won the game. You’ll hear plenty about the Panthers kicker sending the ball out of bounds to start that drive, though.

To echo what Lebron said, don’t make key mistakes or play like crap (missing 37 3 pointers) and you don’t have to worry about the officials.

4 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I still can’t get over the Rockets pulling that bullshit yesterday with ‘we audited the calls from Game 7 last year, it likely effected the determination of the eventual NBA champion.’ Motherfucker you guys shot 7-44 from 3.

I’m sure the Rockets’ review of the officiating was completely objective and unbiased. Let’s have GS review that series and see how many calls they find in Houston’s favor.

It’s like the constant “The Patriots get all the calls in the playoffs” whining. After the most recent SB win, there were a bunch of highlight videos on Youtube commemorating the six championships. I had forgotten that the Patriots had a 20 yard gain called back due to OPI on their final drive against the Panthers. That’s a pretty big call with 50 seconds left in the 4th quarter of a tied Super Bowl. No one brings it up because the Patriots overcame the 1st and 20 and won the game. You’ll hear plenty about the Panthers kicker sending the ball out of bounds to start that drive, though.

To echo what Lebron said, don’t make key mistakes or play like crap (missing 37 3 pointers) and you don’t have to worry about the officials.

Daryl Morey is a big HMSG buddy and it does not surprise me at all that an organization he leads would fully embrace excuse making.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Buddy of mine was a TV news producer back in the day. Always said that Tom Ellis and legendary swordsman Chet Curtis were the two nicest guys in the profession.

Heard pretty much the same about both guys. And also that Natalie was a c***. Edited for decorum. But she used to treat TE like crap on the air, e.g., ignored his jokes & small talk so he’d look like an idiot, etc. Couldn’t stand her.

RIP, Tom Ellis.

NECN, Never Ever Cross Natalie

It’s like building in excuses before the game in case ‘your team’ loses.

AKA, the Steelers Strategem

4 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I had a bad experience this past weekend at U11 soccer, it was a 1-1 game late and the other team attempts a header in front of my kid’s team’s goal.  Header misses but the kid goes down, he’s on the turf.  To my untrained eye I didn’t see a foul, but once the ref checks on the kid and gets him off the field he signals a foul which then means a penalty kick attempt.  The parents are going bananas.  Why didn’t you blow the whistle!  There was no foul!  I’m looking at these people thinking for chrissakes an 11 year old kid is lying on the ground can he take a minute to check on him and make sure he’s OK.  And like basketball this shit happens fast and yes sometimes you see a guy/kid on the ground and deduce that a foul was committed.  Late whistles happen, doesn’t mean calls are wrong.  He’s human.  Ensuing PK happens, and the keeper makes a nice save.  Parents are then screaming at the referee again, “In Your Face!” like they’re in 4th grade.  About 20 seconds later ball goes out of bounds ref signals it’s the other team’s ball.  Again with the going ballistic.  Ref says hey this is arbitrary stuff calling what I see, then asks one of the parents to leave, which he does thankfully.  Game ends about a minute later and another parent starts yelling at the ref “did that make you feel good?” and I don’t talk much to this guy and I said leave the guy alone, he’s doing his best.  We’re supposed to be enjoying the games for our kids and wanting them to win for themselves, not us, and this is outright embarrassing.  The kids were a hell of a lot more resilient than the parents, they kept playing.  What kind of an example are you setting, this is peanuts compared to the shit they’ll face in the future.  Jobs or promotions they think they deserve that they won’t get, thinking some girl they’re going to ask out will say yes and they say no.  You want them to act like a fucking baby and make fools of themselves and blame everyone else but themselves, or do you want them to realize life doesn’t work out the way you think it should and instead of standing still complaining they move on to become better people or find better opportunities?  We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind.  And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.

Side note: this ref was I’m guessing in his 60s.  He’s got no dog in the fight, and is doing this because he loves soccer and he wants to be a part of it.  The 25 or 50 bucks a game he’s making isn’t the motivator.  Why treat him like that?  And you’re a special kind of asshole when you rip on the 14 or 15 year old refs doing his or her best.  They’re learning on the job as well, and this ain’t the World fucking Cup.

Anyway, that combined with remembering Bill’s comments on officials makes all of this pregame consternation and complaining about referee assignments the pits.  Enjoy the god damn games, the team you root for will get some calls, and so will the other team.

Ironhead
    Participant

The Sixers were the first sports franchise I hated.  Hated.    Started watching the Celtics during the last half of Bird’s rookie year, when they lost the ’80 ECF in 5 games.  The next year was the 3-1 comeback (greatest series in NBA history, we’ve been over this) and I was hooked.   C’s lost the next year in 7 (again coming from 3-1 down) and I threw an epic tantrum that got me grounded after the Game 7 loss.  :lol:

6 users thanked author for this post.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Lebron
    regarding this quote I know what you mean.

“We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind. And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.”

I always felt a new team buys you sanity for two seasons.

Lebron
    Participant

Game 6 in the Spectrum in ’81, man that was a great.  What had they lost, like 17 or 18 in a row there?  That was my first year of really following the Celtics.

What was weird both with the ’82 ECF Game 7 and a couple months prior the game in the Garden against the Sixers where they broke the Celtics 18 or so game winning streak were the games weren’t close, Sixers won both of those handily.

I remember the Sixers owner prior to the ’82 Game 7 telling the team you win or I break you up.  Talk about a motivator, they sure as shit delivered.  Then they made the Moses trade.

Lebron
    Participant

Lebron

regarding this quote I know what you mean.

“We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind. And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.”

I always felt a new team buys you sanity for two seasons.

I’m done with most of these parents.  I get along well with 2 sets of parents but one of them is the guy that got kicked out.  I also get the sense my kid is done with that team.  He was tight with one kid but lately he’s been all set with him, tells me ‘all he wants to do is play Fortnite’ which is music to my ears.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

ESPN the Magazine shutting down in September.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar