Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/29/19 – 5/5/10 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 158 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Lefty

ESPN the Magazine shutting down in September.

It was still publishing?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

It was still publishing?

That’s what makes this so difficult.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Feejis
    Participant

I had a bad experience this past weekend at U11 soccer, it was a 1-1 game late and the other team attempts a header in front of my kid’s team’s goal. Header misses but the kid goes down, he’s on the turf. To my untrained eye I didn’t see a foul, but once the ref checks on the kid and gets him off the field he signals a foul which then means a penalty kick attempt. The parents are going bananas. Why didn’t you blow the whistle! There was no foul! I’m looking at these people thinking for chrissakes an 11 year old kid is lying on the ground can he take a minute to check on him and make sure he’s OK. And like basketball this shit happens fast and yes sometimes you see a guy/kid on the ground and deduce that a foul was committed. Late whistles happen, doesn’t mean calls are wrong. He’s human. Ensuing PK happens, and the keeper makes a nice save. Parents are then screaming at the referee again, “In Your Face!” like they’re in 4th grade. About 20 seconds later ball goes out of bounds ref signals it’s the other team’s ball. Again with the going ballistic. Ref says hey this is arbitrary stuff calling what I see, then asks one of the parents to leave, which he does thankfully. Game ends about a minute later and another parent starts yelling at the ref “did that make you feel good?” and I don’t talk much to this guy and I said leave the guy alone, he’s doing his best. We’re supposed to be enjoying the games for our kids and wanting them to win for themselves, not us, and this is outright embarrassing. The kids were a hell of a lot more resilient than the parents, they kept playing. What kind of an example are you setting, this is peanuts compared to the shit they’ll face in the future. Jobs or promotions they think they deserve that they won’t get, thinking some girl they’re going to ask out will say yes and they say no. You want them to act like a fucking baby and make fools of themselves and blame everyone else but themselves, or do you want them to realize life doesn’t work out the way you think it should and instead of standing still complaining they move on to become better people or find better opportunities? We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind. And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.

Side note: this ref was I’m guessing in his 60s. He’s got no dog in the fight, and is doing this because he loves soccer and he wants to be a part of it. The 25 or 50 bucks a game he’s making isn’t the motivator. Why treat him like that? And you’re a special kind of asshole when you rip on the 14 or 15 year old refs doing his or her best. They’re learning on the job as well, and this ain’t the World fucking Cup.

Anyway, that combined with remembering Bill’s comments on officials makes all of this pregame consternation and complaining about referee assignments the pits. Enjoy the god damn games, the team you root for will get some calls, and so will the other team.

I’m involved in our town program. We have incidents very rarely because the league and MA Soccer enforce a zero tolerance policy. Every once in a while a ref gets berated though and they’re all kids until you get to grade 8 games basically.

Have had people refuse to leave when told by the ref and had to have higher ups intervene. One of our guys happened to be at that field and said look, ref said leave if you don’t the game is a forfeit and we’re calling the cops. People are the worst.

Lebron
    Participant

It was still publishing?

I think it was just the nudes at this point.

Lefty

Meant to mention, don’t sleep on Pierre Luc Dubois as a player to hate on Columbus.   Lots of after the whistle fake tough guy bullshit last game.  He could use a good whack in the face.

Turd Furguson
    Participant

Bobrovski is the main reason Columbus is competitive.   He’s pretty damn good.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I learned today from Felger and the Zones hockey writer that everyone on the Bruins suck except Rask.

After hearing how everyone sucks I was told if the Bruins don’t win the cup it’s a total choke job.

If they do win it will be by a bunch of sucky players which I guess would be good.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

The Celtics are taking a beating and the asswipe Grande is making it sound like their all done. It’s easy to see why he’s the hero of the Felger Youth. He loves misery more than success.

Good thing he wasn’t around in 84. He would have buried the Celtics after the took a beating in game 3 and went down 2-1.

Coma
    Participant

The Celtics are taking a beating and the asswipe Grande is making it sound like their all done. It’s easy to see why he’s the hero of the Felger Youth. He loves misery more than success.

Good thing he wasn’t around in 84. He would have buried the Celtics after the took a beating in game 3 and went down 2-1.

Gee, I thought the series being tied 1-1 after two games in Milwaukee was a positive development. Sure, getting blown out in game 2 was disappointing to see, but it’s the Celtics first postseason loss. If they only win their home games, they’re on their way to the ECF. If Boston loses again on Friday, I can see declaring them dead, but I guess some people just want to start complaining early.

Lebron
    Participant

They shot pretty poorly, which of course happens sometimes.  Got 1 game in Milwaukee which is what you hope for.

328 Chauncey St
    Participant

Was Nat pissed because Ellis was blocking Chet though? If I remember correctly Chet was a second stringer so I guess Nat would have a bee in her bonnet over Ellis sitting in the seat she thought her husband should be in. Then Ellis moved to Channel 7 I think.

Not sure what drove her anger, honestly. That may be it. But treating a colleague like that–on the freaking air no less!–was beyond cunty, not to mention unprofessional.

Remember my brother saying he’d see post-divorce Chet hanging out at all the Marina Bay bars, drinking and chatting with the ladies and anyone else who approached him. He had a hell of a time for himself. :lol:

We got a witness out of jail and kept him in a top floor condo on the flat part of Beacon Hill for about four months (your tax dollars at work :wall: ). Being that we were all lazy, we either never had or lost the second key, and no one could ever remember the apartment number. Naturally,  every time someone showed up for the midnight shift, they’d buzz the whole building until someone let them in (myself included). The highlight was the angry woman glaring out of the first floor window, who became the main target of the buzzer, long after people knew which apartment to buzz, because she was so angry and animated behind the glass.

Eventually, she called the Boston PD and told them there were a bunch of drug dealers living in the top floor. As we had a BPD Captain soaking up the overtime as part of the detail, her complaint fell on deaf ears. This, of course, made her even more furious. Never once saw the husband. The guys that responded night after night finally begged us to stop…not because of the nasty woman, but Because they felt bad for her beleaguered husband, Chet. Apparently Nat was berating him and telling him if he didn’t go upstairs and put a stop to things, she was going to do it herself! They split up soon after. I always kind of felt we did Chet a solid.  From the sound of The Marina Bay stories, I guess we did

7 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

from If the NBA played in my driveway I wouldn’t look out the window…

Probably safer for everyone….

Coma
    Participant

Two playoff losses for the local teams last night was a bummer, but I did hear a small, silver lining: Tim Marchman from Deadspin was fired yesterday. This was the guy who, in January, asked for people to anonymously submit evidence of Tom Brady’s PED usage. Maybe he can get a gig at ESPN the Magazine.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Columbus as a team is executing the exact same strategy they used on Tampa and its working to a T. Neutralize the other teams best players….Don’t take ANY dumb penalties….Be brutally efficient at killing EVERY Power play…Score when you do have a Power play opportunity. Its fucking amazing how consistently they have done this through the first 3 games and I’m astounded how the Jackets don’t end up committing any penalties especially when the B’s are buzzing around the net desperately trying to score for what seems like forever.

Every game has been so close that a few bounces here or there and I guess the Bruins could be up 3-0 (or down 0-3) but that’s not the way it’s gone so far.  Columbus has just been too good at making the most of  its opportunities while Boston has not. If the B’s could get a lead it would make it very difficult for Colubus to play that way but that hasn’t happened so far.

Rask has been no slouch it goal but as is often the case for him in the playoffs most of the time he’s the 2nd best goalie on the ice.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

But was there human trafficking? In Swansea?

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Columbus as a team is executing the exact same strategy they used on Tampa and its working to a T. Neutralize the other teams best players….Don’t take ANY dumb penalties….Be brutally efficient at killing EVERY Power play…Score when you do have a Power play opportunity. Its fucking amazing how consistently they have done this through the first 3 games and I’m astounded how the Jackets don’t end up committing any penalties especially when the B’s are buzzing around the net desperately trying to score for what seems like forever.

Every game has been so close that a few bounces here or there and I guess the Bruins could be up 3-0 (or down 0-3) but that’s not the way it’s gone so far. Columbus has just been too good at making the most of its opportunities while Boston has not. If the B’s could get a lead it would make it very difficult for Colubus to play that way but that hasn’t happened so far.

Rask has been no slouch it goal but as is often the case for him in the playoffs most of the time he’s the 2nd best goalie on the ice.

Game 2 the Bs were sloppy as hell but in 1&3 I thought they were the better team by far.  Bobobvsky has been amazing but also the Bs hit 3 posts yesterday.  For the most part I thought they did a good job getting more shots on net and not trying for the perfect pass every time but they have to put a couple of these rebounds away.  I’m feeling pretty good still about their chances.

Participant

Very sloppy with the puck, particularly on offense – skating themselves out of the play or into trouble – really dumb stuff – 2 posts and a crossbar last night didn’t help.

Coach Torts,  I believe did light up DouchePont in the afternoon presser yesterday which was nice.

Humphrey
    Participant

I had a bad experience this past weekend at U11 soccer, it was a 1-1 game late and the other team attempts a header in front of my kid’s team’s goal. Header misses but the kid goes down, he’s on the turf. To my untrained eye I didn’t see a foul, but once the ref checks on the kid and gets him off the field he signals a foul which then means a penalty kick attempt. The parents are going bananas. Why didn’t you blow the whistle! There was no foul! I’m looking at these people thinking for chrissakes an 11 year old kid is lying on the ground can he take a minute to check on him and make sure he’s OK. And like basketball this shit happens fast and yes sometimes you see a guy/kid on the ground and deduce that a foul was committed. Late whistles happen, doesn’t mean calls are wrong. He’s human. Ensuing PK happens, and the keeper makes a nice save. Parents are then screaming at the referee again, “In Your Face!” like they’re in 4th grade. About 20 seconds later ball goes out of bounds ref signals it’s the other team’s ball. Again with the going ballistic. Ref says hey this is arbitrary stuff calling what I see, then asks one of the parents to leave, which he does thankfully. Game ends about a minute later and another parent starts yelling at the ref “did that make you feel good?” and I don’t talk much to this guy and I said leave the guy alone, he’s doing his best. We’re supposed to be enjoying the games for our kids and wanting them to win for themselves, not us, and this is outright embarrassing. The kids were a hell of a lot more resilient than the parents, they kept playing. What kind of an example are you setting, this is peanuts compared to the shit they’ll face in the future. Jobs or promotions they think they deserve that they won’t get, thinking some girl they’re going to ask out will say yes and they say no. You want them to act like a fucking baby and make fools of themselves and blame everyone else but themselves, or do you want them to realize life doesn’t work out the way you think it should and instead of standing still complaining they move on to become better people or find better opportunities? We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind. And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.

Side note: this ref was I’m guessing in his 60s. He’s got no dog in the fight, and is doing this because he loves soccer and he wants to be a part of it. The 25 or 50 bucks a game he’s making isn’t the motivator. Why treat him like that? And you’re a special kind of asshole when you rip on the 14 or 15 year old refs doing his or her best. They’re learning on the job as well, and this ain’t the World fucking Cup.

Anyway, that combined with remembering Bill’s comments on officials makes all of this pregame consternation and complaining about referee assignments the pits. Enjoy the god damn games, the team you root for will get some calls, and so will the other team.

I’m involved in our town program. We have incidents very rarely because the league and MA Soccer enforce a zero tolerance policy. Every once in a while a ref gets berated though and they’re all kids until you get to grade 8 games basically.

Have had people refuse to leave when told by the ref and had to have higher ups intervene. One of our guys happened to be at that field and said look, ref said leave if you don’t the game is a forfeit and we’re calling the cops. People are the worst.

Soccer ref here. HS mostly, some BAYS and club in the spring to keep in shape. Curious as to the rules where you are. In Mass, and I thought most other places, there is no heading* in U12 or below.

Zero tolerance is the only way when you have kid officials; although I think you should either have an adult on the crew or one watching…hate to see a kid keep making the same mistake that could easily be corrected.

*I see more bad plays and bad habits and, yes, injuries created by this dumbass rule! You’d think that the people running the sport would have figured out a better way than outright banning all heading.

chicowalker
    Participant

Being a hockey frontrunner, my exposure to KPD is nothing like some of you guys.  Before round 2 started he was on w/ Felger and Mazz and Felger had actually dropped the shtick and was trying to have an actual sports conversation.  He asked KPD if he’d consider the Bruins the favorite of the last 8- “no, not particularly” as if he was asked if he liked 3 lumps in his Earl Grey.  Felger pressed- who do you consider the favorite? A haughty “no one” Kevin! Some one is going to win the cup this year- there are 8 teams left? Which one?  He was responding as if a random Bruins fan interrupted his dinner to pepper him with questions, not as someone sitting down for a prearranged interview.  Weapons grade douche

chicowalker
    Participant

Pretty sure I told this story before but that’s never stopped me.  My first job was as an ump- 13 years old, doing 9-10 year old games.  Pretty easy, guy in charge of the umps was a friend’s father, he basically said if the pitch can at all be touched by a bat it’s a strike- way ahead of the curve re: game length for 1987.  Season goes fine, no real issues w/parents because these are all my neighborhood parents and it was before the time where every kid was believed to be on a scholarship track.  Championship game, I’m not scheduled so I’m home.  I get a call from my best friend at the time and fellow ump- I can’t make the game today, can you fill in? Game is in like an hour but only a few blocks away, I say sure.  Crowd is about five times what there’d been for any other game I worked.  Early on I’m working 2nd base and there is a slow roller (hit by the younger brother of my friend/fellow ump) bang bang play at first, I call him out, and in an instant a cacophony of boos and yelling at me- primarily by baserunner/ ump friend’s father, a former priest who is basically a RI legend for being an advocate for the poor and disenfranchised- losing his mind.  I am at his house 3-4 times a week and I’ve never heard him raise his voice.  In the confusion, I switch the call to safe, so I start getting shit from the other side.  I am on fire with rage and embarrassment- all 13 year old boys are a bit awkward, but I’m capo de tutti cappi.  Things settle a bit, but I want to crawl in a hole and die, but there’s still 4 more innings.  My mood only turns when, between innings, I see standing next to my freind’s dad who tore me a new one earlier- my friend who couldn’t work the game.  He gave me a sheepish “whattayagonnado?” shrug, and I had the first of a lifetime of rage strokes.  As soon as the last out is recorded, I go after my friend like Brett after Tim McClelland, but he ducked off into his parents car before I could get him.  :lol: :ohmy:   I didn’t umpire another game until I was 38

Participant

WeaponzGrade Chico?  I don’t see it, AT ALL!

Feels to me like the Canes are far more vulnerable with a 2-0 series lead than CBJ is with but a 2-1 lead.

Rarely during regular season do we see hand-in-dirt games. It will determine this series.

Third period will be total hand in the dirt. Get dirty or get out.

Polite letter from Globe mailroom today, notifying me of a package that arrived in my name. Also politely asks if I would like it delivered…and….”what department are you in?” Answer: sports, beginning 1973.

3 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

Holy shit that last one :lol:

who are you? and why are you famous?

Participant

“I made my bonez polishing Sinden’s knob for 25 years prior to when you were born 21 year old mailroom intern.  I’m kind of a big deal.”

Lebron
    Participant

Humphrey in Colorado you can head at the U11 level, but I believe it’s changing again soon and might be as high as U17.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like Chico’s friend was doing the ‘bang in sick – hangover’ routine that most of us don’t start until around 18, but hey, it’s Rhode Island, they get started a little earlier there…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar