Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/29/19 – 5/5/10 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 158 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 159 total)
  • Author

Suzy
    Participant

Holy shit that last one :lol:<noscript>:lol:</noscript>

who are you? and why are you famous?

:lol: That’s so great.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I had a bad experience this past weekend at U11 soccer, it was a 1-1 game late and the other team attempts a header in front of my kid’s team’s goal. Header misses but the kid goes down, he’s on the turf. To my untrained eye I didn’t see a foul, but once the ref checks on the kid and gets him off the field he signals a foul which then means a penalty kick attempt. The parents are going bananas. Why didn’t you blow the whistle! There was no foul! I’m looking at these people thinking for chrissakes an 11 year old kid is lying on the ground can he take a minute to check on him and make sure he’s OK. And like basketball this shit happens fast and yes sometimes you see a guy/kid on the ground and deduce that a foul was committed. Late whistles happen, doesn’t mean calls are wrong. He’s human. Ensuing PK happens, and the keeper makes a nice save. Parents are then screaming at the referee again, “In Your Face!” like they’re in 4th grade. About 20 seconds later ball goes out of bounds ref signals it’s the other team’s ball. Again with the going ballistic. Ref says hey this is arbitrary stuff calling what I see, then asks one of the parents to leave, which he does thankfully. Game ends about a minute later and another parent starts yelling at the ref “did that make you feel good?” and I don’t talk much to this guy and I said leave the guy alone, he’s doing his best. We’re supposed to be enjoying the games for our kids and wanting them to win for themselves, not us, and this is outright embarrassing. The kids were a hell of a lot more resilient than the parents, they kept playing. What kind of an example are you setting, this is peanuts compared to the shit they’ll face in the future. Jobs or promotions they think they deserve that they won’t get, thinking some girl they’re going to ask out will say yes and they say no. You want them to act like a fucking baby and make fools of themselves and blame everyone else but themselves, or do you want them to realize life doesn’t work out the way you think it should and instead of standing still complaining they move on to become better people or find better opportunities? We were thinking of leaving this club anyhow, now it’s a done deal in my mind. And I know they all suck, I can only take about 3 years of any group of parents until I need at least a new set of suck.

Side note: this ref was I’m guessing in his 60s. He’s got no dog in the fight, and is doing this because he loves soccer and he wants to be a part of it. The 25 or 50 bucks a game he’s making isn’t the motivator. Why treat him like that? And you’re a special kind of asshole when you rip on the 14 or 15 year old refs doing his or her best. They’re learning on the job as well, and this ain’t the World fucking Cup.

Anyway, that combined with remembering Bill’s comments on officials makes all of this pregame consternation and complaining about referee assignments the pits. Enjoy the god damn games, the team you root for will get some calls, and so will the other team.

I’m involved in our town program. We have incidents very rarely because the league and MA Soccer enforce a zero tolerance policy. Every once in a while a ref gets berated though and they’re all kids until you get to grade 8 games basically.

Have had people refuse to leave when told by the ref and had to have higher ups intervene. One of our guys happened to be at that field and said look, ref said leave if you don’t the game is a forfeit and we’re calling the cops. People are the worst.

Los Pepes should be hired as security for all kids games. I mean it too.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m thinking Hells Angels circa Altamont.

Participant

I’m thinking Hells Angels circa Altamont.

SF Mayor Joe Alioto greenlit the concert, he later married Billy Sullivan’s daughter – it all comes back to the brutal game of football Danny.

Claude45
    Participant

Holy shit that last one :lol:

who are you? and why are you famous?

“Since 73? Wow, couldn’t find another job? That’s a shame. Anyway, are you near the shitter on 5?”

1 user thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

It was only due to boredom in the spring I started refereeing youth games a few years ago; I pretty much stuck to high school due to similar stuff to what Chico mentioned, mostly in baseball (although I figured soccer parents were equally, if not more, ignorant and nasty).

The only bad club game I’ve had involved a collision between a keeper and an attacker. Not a foul in my opinion, or the assistant’s opinion; but resulted in the keeper getting a concussion and her father threatening to sue me (which, he didn’t). I still cannot understand his logic: if the foul was called the kid wouldn’t have gotten injured? Or would he have threatened to sue the kid who committed the foul? And, no, it was not one of those games where the fouls and/or non-calls were continuous and escalated into something bad. Nothing else remotely physical happened in the game!

High school’s no day at the beach sometimes, but usually the really bad ones have been weeded out by then.

Lebron
    Participant

To make matters worse the keeper’s dad for whatever reason sets up a video camera behind the net.  We use that TeamSnap app for scheduling and communication, well apparently you can store video files and the guy put the game in there so the parents can now break down film like Bedard. :weei:

Hacksaw
    Participant

For my kids baseball team I do Game Changer and I ran into this problem this past weekend. In tourney ball when time runs and they go into extra innings they use California Tie Breaker rules. I am like WTF.

Rules
    Last three batters from the previous inning load the bases
    Two out innings
    Teams duke it out until they someone wins.

Never knew of these rules and I used to do SID(scorekeeper) in college. So for the last three innings on GameChanger was all bs plays, as I wrote them down on paper so I can recreate. I had to keep emailing/texting families updates.

Best part a another dad on the team goes, I do Gamechanger for my amusement I can help with the last three innings. So we recreate the innnings I am like, “Wow you just saved my ass.”

Then after I got what I needed him I say to myself “Who does Gamechanger for the fun of it.”

We won and I learned something new.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

Coma
    Participant

To make matters worse the keeper’s dad for whatever reason sets up a video camera behind the net. We use that TeamSnap app for scheduling and communication, well apparently you can store video files and the guy put the game in there so the parents can now break down film like Bedard. :weei:

I may have missed this part of the story, but didn’t the game end in a 1-1 tie? Are these parents getting that bent out of shape about a game their kids didn’t even lose?

Lebron
    Participant

To make matters worse the keeper’s dad for whatever reason sets up a video camera behind the net. We use that TeamSnap app for scheduling and communication, well apparently you can store video files and the guy put the game in there so the parents can now break down film like Bedard. :weei:

I may have missed this part of the story, but didn’t the game end in a 1-1 tie? Are these parents getting that bent out of shape about a game their kids didn’t even lose?

Oh no, you have it exactly right.

Lebron
    Participant

Pizutti’s kickball team down 3-0 in Champions League first leg.

jforb
    Participant

Pizutti’s kickball team down 3-0 in Champions League first leg.

That Messi free kick is beyond insanely good.

Lebron
    Participant

That keeper laid out for it too.  Not much else he could do.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

WeaponzGrade Chico? I don’t see it, AT ALL!

Feels to me like the Canes are far more vulnerable with a 2-0 series lead than CBJ is with but a 2-1 lead.

Rarely during regular season do we see hand-in-dirt games. It will determine this series.

Third period will be total hand in the dirt. Get dirty or get out.

Polite letter from Globe mailroom today, notifying me of a package that arrived in my name. Also politely asks if I would like it delivered…and….”what department are you in?” Answer: sports, beginning 1973.

Hand in the dirt — and it isn’t Gresch’s? Does no one remember Gresch here? Sic transit gloria mundi! :ohmy: :lol:  

BrianInLA
    Participant

Dark Side Of The Ring has the Von Erich one on tonight. Kevin looks to be about 150 years old.

Lebron
    Participant

Dark Side Of The Ring has the Von Erich one on tonight. Kevin looks to be about 150 years old.

And still looks better than his brothers.  Too soon?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Nope. Not too soon. Definitely looks better than ALL of his brothers.

Can confirm.

In my older age I often wonder about the plight of others. Does Kevin sit around quiet evenings pondering “How is it that I did not kill myself nor turn into a total douchebag yet every one of my brothers, as well as my father, did? Was I adopted? Am I an alien? Did I have insight no one else could explain? Am I really Arya Stark?” Honestly I’d love to have a one on one interview with that guy just to see how he’s dealt with all the death, drug use and suicide that has surrounded him his entire life and yet somehow remained somehow unscathed and shoeless.

Lebron
    Participant

The Kerry Von Erich amputated foot story is crazy.  Had no idea he performed with a prosthetic foot for a while

Hacksaw
    Participant

when It came to enabling they say Fritz Von Erich got father of the year.

chicowalker
    Participant

and shoeless :lol:

I always wondered about that as a kid. The whole family employs the same signature move, but one of the 6 or so of them decided to wrestle barefoot.  Was it his decision? Fritz’s?

speaking of…I was the entrenched Japanese soldier in the mountains still fighting WW2 re: conceding wrestling was fake, and even I called bullshit on Lance being a real Von Erich from the jump :lol:

As far as me finally admitting what was painfully obvious, it took my younger brother painstakingly showing me frame by frame from a recorded episode of Saturday Night’s Main event that Jake the Snake wasn’t even coming close to landing his punches and his opponent (Steamboat?) should not have been pinned :ph34r: :ohmy:

2 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

re: Gresh..he’s on the radio in RI, 99.7 FM/630 AM.  For the rest of the day, it’s old crank talk radio (RI version- potholes, taxes) Gresh’s show is ostensibly sports, but every so often Gresh will get a rogue call about Governor Raimondo’s budget or something, and if you think he was ill informed about, say, how to defend a pick-and-roll or set up a power play… :lol:

3 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol:

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

re: Gresh..he’s on the radio in RI, 99.7 FM/630 AM. For the rest of the day, it’s old crank talk radio (RI version- potholes, taxes) Gresh’s show is ostensibly sports, but every so often Gresh will get a rogue call about Governor Raimondo’s budget or something, and if you think he was ill informed about, say, how to defend a pick-and-roll or set up a power play… :lol:

Do they just call in not caring who the host is? I don’t get people asking questions about sports thinking the hosts know anything, can’t imagine asking them about any other subject.

chicowalker
    Participant

I think so.  In my limited exposure it seems like the callers to this station are high on the shut-in scale, even for a talk radio audience

Hacksaw
    Participant

Von Erichs were selfish ego maniacs….all their good friends and pen pals turned on them. Example Brian Adias and Chris Adams.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar