Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/29/19 – 5/5/10 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 158 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Sit Pastrnak, give him a few days to clear his head, then let him get his groove back at home. He’s not helping

Imagine thinking *that* would be the way to get the best possible short term performance out of a young player? My god.

He’s quadrupling down today:

His goal and an assist did nothing to dissuade me from thinking Pastrnak is a net negative. He was again atrocious for about 52 minutes last night. The goal was a little lucky because he didn’t get all of it and the change of pace threw off Sergei Bobrovsky, and the assist came in a 3-1 game late when Columbus was being aggressive.

Maybe last night was the baby step Pastrnak needed to get going the other way, but holy hell it was largely a trainwreck. It was so bad Cassidy had to take him off the top power play. He should tell Pasta to never handle the puck near the blue line until further notice.

I’ve never seen an NHL player lose the handle this much, and just flat-out whiff on pucks that fell off his stick like 6 feet ago. It’s like he has zero feel anymore. Maybe it’s his thumb, maybe he’s lost feeling there or something else. It’s just not good.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Coach Betard should stick with football and keep his dumb comments there.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lefty

Yes, it is always a good idea for a team that struggles to score goals to sit their leading goal scorer and lone all-star player so he can get his head right.

even if one were to agree with AAC, your top echelon players don’t go to the bench when they struggle.  They work it out on the ice since they are the best you have and they have to perform.  Should the Bruins put Karson Kuhlman out there instead?   Please.

Stick to not knowing football, AAC.  You’re ability to not know hockey is even more embarrassing.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

In an unrelated topic, during last night’s game, someone I know posted, seriously, on FB that what the Bruins really need right now is Milan Lucic.   I rarely post on FB, but had to comment that Lucic has been among the worst players in the league for the past two years and Edmonton would give him to you for a bag of pucks if you took his contract.

one of the guy’s followers (who I don’t know) now wants to fight me.   Was messaging me late into the night last night.   I assume he has sobered up by now.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Sit Pastrnak, give him a few days to clear his head, then let him get his groove back at home. He’s not helping

Imagine thinking *that* would be the way to get the best possible short term performance out of a young player? My god.

His goal and an assist did nothing to dissuade me from thinking Pastrnak is a net negative. He was again atrocious for about 52 minutes last night. The goal was a little lucky because he didn’t get all of it and the change of pace threw off Sergei Bobrovsky, and the assist came in a 3-1 game late when Columbus was being aggressive.

Maybe last night was the baby step Pastrnak needed to get going the other way, but holy hell it was largely a trainwreck. It was so bad Cassidy had to take him off the top power play. He should tell Pasta to never handle the puck near the blue line until further notice.

I’ve never seen an NHL player lose the handle this much, and just flat-out whiff on pucks that fell off his stick like 6 feet ago. It’s like he has zero feel anymore. Maybe it’s his thumb, maybe he’s lost feeling there or something else. It’s just not good.

Such a gigantic, smug, ignorant asshole. I’m developing Fatty-level hatred for this shithead.

Claude45
    Participant

Such a gigantic, smug, ignorant asshole. I’m developing Fatty-level hatred for this shithead.

That’s a high bar for you Suzy.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

You gotta be a really messed up in the head to be pining away for Lucic on Facebook during a B’s playoff game :blink: :blink: Probably the sort that is still bent out of shape Varitek wasn’t picked to be the Sox manager.

jforb
    Participant

That’s a high bar for you Suzy.

High or not, he’s clearing it pretty easily though.

Humphrey
    Participant

Apparently one of the nicknames Lucky & The Dentist are considering for the relocated PawSox is the Worcester Wicked Worms. :lol: It’s an absurdly shitty name, but considering the continued idiocy that is minor league branding — what the fuck is a Binghamton Rumble Pony? — I am almost certain that this will be the winning choice.

Although the One-Eyed Trouser Worms would certainly be appropriate. Just imagine the merchandise!

“The moniker was bestowed upon the city by L.B. Worm, a locally famous disc jockey who coined the name in the late 1970’s when rock ‘n’ roll was in it’s punk heyday of green hair and pierced body parts. The Worcester punk scene was so lifeless that it made Mr. Worm think of death and worms–hence Wormtown. The name caught on, with its “ring” and cleverly satirical and self-effacing allusion to “Beantown”. It has been used as record titles “Wormtown ’78” and “Exile in Wormtown”, a radio show name “Radio Free Wormtown”, concert names “Wormtown Revue”, “Wormfest”, and “Wormtown Underground”. Telegram and Gazette Sports Writer John Gearan wanted the IceCats to be called the Mighty IceWorms. Further use includes big black letters painted on the old Ethan Allen Furniture Store in 1984 proclaiming “Wormtown Rocks”, the Wormtown Wiggle, a 1985 concert at Mount Wachusett, and the Wormtown Warriors, a Worcester Modified Pitch Softball Team. When the team rallies, they cry out “The Worm has turned”. Their logo is a pair of crossed bats with worms crawling out of the holes in the wood.”

Just explaining where it came from; I’d not be particularly thrilled if they made it the team’s nickname.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

I still can’t believe there are local TV sports guys. I can’t remember the last time I saw a local sports segment. I bet it’s been a decade at least. I don’t even tune in after championship like I might of years ago as so many other channels cover it deeper. I don’t have anything particular against these guys but let’s not act like they’ve made some great contribution to society.

Lynchie got a lot of points for boosting high school sports on his shows.

Then you have Dennis and Bob Gamere, who most likely liked high school sports for other reasons.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

If it comes to pass the Worcester Wicked Worms could sell beer from the Wormtown Brewery … which would be good as they make some nice beers.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Plus it enshrines the phrase Wicked Pissah into our sporting landscape.

Like I said, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that, when a minor league baseball team rebrands itself, it will choose the most idiotic nickname available if it believes that the caps, tee-shirts, and other merchandise will fly off the shelves. Plus think of the adorable worm-like mascots.

It’s a no-brainer for savants like Lucchino and the Dentist.

Now excuse me, I’ve got to chase some kids off my front lawn. :rollseyes:

chicowalker
    Participant

They dropped the ball not rechristening the current team the Pawtucket Indicted Mayors or the Pawtucket One Way Streets to nowhere I can SEE the fucking highway it’s right below me oh Jesus Christ am I in Central Falls now fuck

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Bedard’s is so self-important and insecure it’s embarrassing.   If you never admit you made a mistake how do you expect to have an ounce of credibility.  He’s always right at the time.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

They dropped the ball not rechristening the current team the Pawtucket Indicted Mayors or the Pawtucket One Way Streets to nowhere I can SEE the fucking highway it’s right below me oh Jesus Christ am I in Central Falls now fuck

:lol: :lol: That literally happened to me during my last foray into Pawtucket. :lol: :lol:

Big Fat O
    Participant

Bedard’s is so self-important and insecure it’s embarrassing. If you never admit you made a mistake how do you expect to have an ounce of credibility. He’s always right at the time.

Coach Betard is a typical media member who thinks he’s smarter than the fans, players and coaches. Since they cover a team for a paper or are on the radio they know more than you.

Keefe was arguing with a caller the other day insisting what he said Cassidy should do was right. What’s Keefes credintals? Lucky enough to get a job in radio.

the media are some of the most arrogant people in this world.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

What city is that S Curve on I 95 in? Always wondered which connected (via government, or mob, or both) guy owned the building that they bypassed in order to create that dangerous road. Puts I290 in Wormtown (where Holy Cross’ football stadium got saved by not making the highway straight) to shame.

chicowalker
    Participant

Humphrey that’s Pawtucket.  If you’re going south you’re in providence about a mile or so after that

Coma
    Participant

The added layer of stupidity/insanity/arrogance with Bedard’s opinion is that he’s talking about benching Pastrnak for a playoff game. I don’t think Almost A Coach has considered the implications of a move like benching a star player in the postseason. For one, you are essentially conceding the game Pastrnak will be benched for, but there’s also the possibility that it backfires and he’s worse when he comes back or he refuses to come back. If it plays out that way, forget about getting knocked out the playoffs, Cassidy will be out of the job.

If Edelman had a poor game in the divisional round, would anyone seriously suggest sitting him for the first half of the AFCCG or the entire game? I could see giving Benintendi or Martinez a game or two off in July if they were in a 2 for 50 slump and were terrible in the field. If the playoffs? No way! Bedard knows better, though.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Not that I care to look it up, but I imagine that Bedard roasted Belichick for benching Malcolm Butler in SB 52 for weeks on end. He doesn’t know what is really wrong with Pastrnak (I will bet he needs surgery on his hand this summer), but he doesn’t know what caused Butler’s benching either.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

If you had Grande telling you how bad the Celtics are even though their tied collect at the window.

I don’t need the local announcers to be Jack or Tommy but be a little more positive.

Grande wants to be noticed that in the same circles as Nance and “Take it like a Man” Marv so you need to shit on the locals so you look objective.

I’ll take Tommy, Jack and Jugg any day over this turd.

:lol:

7 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Yahtzee
    Participant

Larry Johnson was back on the air today.  Sounded good.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Controversy at the Derby?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar