Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/30/2019 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 60 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Lebron 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Morning show kicked off with a conversation between K and C on whether they would attend the funerals of various EEI personalities.

Unfortunately, it was hypothetical.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If feels good to start working up a hatred for the Philadelphia 76ers again. Just like old times. Their “greatest team of all time” that won only one championship, 1966-67. And their “fo, fo, fo” juggernaut that also won it all only once. Too bad Dave Zinkoff isn’t still with us.

InThisTown
    Participant

Did yellow sweater from ‘76 also rush the court after Game 7 ‘81? Mind blowing. Go to about 10:30.

a.paul
    Participant

Was that chubby guy in the brown slacks that charged in onto the court from under the basket, congratulated no one then got swallowed by the oncoming rush Dale E. Arnold????

Major Intangibles
    Participant

We may need to retcon that Johnny Most’s dentures weren’t misplaced in the Season 4 Muzz & JF episode McFilthy and McNasty, but we’re stolen by Yellow Sweater Guy.

YSG could be their Moriarity, their  One-Armed Man, their Wo Fat, their Keyser Soze.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

jforb
    Participant

One ex-GM hypothesized that the Patriots got “No big win on value” from the Bears trade, but, “I think they are accumulating assets in case they need to trade up for a QB in the future.” One salary cap expert surmised, “Either they really didn’t like this year’s draft class and didn’t want to spend money on it, or didn’t like it enough to want to deal with having it in any way directly tied to Garoppolo.”

That was my thought on Friday. The Patriots know that they got a horrible return on the Garoppolo trade, and spent the weekend divesting the pick. After trades with the Lions and Bears, the Patriots gave up picks 43 and 63 and got Dawson, sixth-round linebacker Christian Sam, Chicago’s 2019 second-rounder, and Detroit’s 2019 third-rounder. Don’t be surprised if those picks are further divested.

“They have basically obscured that pick so much at this point that there is almost no way to make a direct comp [to Garoppolo] since they moved those second rounders and can just point to a later pick,” the cap expert said.

If the Patriots traded the pick so they can have more assets to find a quarterback, fine. If they did it to obscure the return on Garoppolo, that is not, as Belichick likes to say, doing what’s in the best interest of the team.

Probably didn’t do it to obscure the return then dummy.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

One ex-GM hypothesized that the Patriots got “No big win on value” from the Bears trade, but, “I think they are accumulating assets in case they need to trade up for a QB in the future.” …

Probably didn’t do it to obscure the return then dummy.

“hypothesized” = talking out of your ass with no information

j. Beernerdness: Hey, now that I’ve totally blown sober April, I did discover a good new beer at the ballyard in Cleveland the other night: the Great Lakes Brewing (Cleveland) Holy Moses White Ale, which would give Allagash White a run for its money with just a little more flavor. Perhaps a bite more coriander.

Lebron
    Participant

I love the idea that Bill is so worried about what other people think of what they got for Garoppolo that he’s actually making moves not for the betterment of the football team but because of his own ego.   We all know he quivers when Reiss brings up the ’09 draft or when he drops the coffee cup like Kujan when people mention Chad Jackson.

Lebron
    Participant

how GM John Dorsey kept the NFL guessing on the top pick.

Your old roomie Schefter reported they were taking or leaning heavily toward taking Mayfield 2 days prior to the draft.  Dorsey hasn’t found a reporter he doesn’t love holding court with, wasn’t that much of a secret.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Did any team ever come out and say what they offered the Pats for Jimmy or is this just the media GMs playing what if?

I don’t recall Cleveland saying they offered any first round pick but maybe I missed it.

I still don’t understand not getting enough. Guy played 6 quarters and the should have gotten a top 10 pick.

No wonder why BB won’t talk to them.

Did any team ever come out and say what they offered the Pats for Jimmy or is this just the media GMs playing what if? I don’t recall Cleveland saying they offered any first round pick but maybe I missed it. I still don’t understand not getting enough. Guy played 6 quarters and the should have gotten a top 10 pick. No wonder why BB won’t talk to them.

Cleveland didn’t. They’re going off Mary Kay Cabot saying the Browns would have traded the 12th pick last year.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I love the idea that Bill is so worried about what other people think of what they got for Garoppolo that he’s actually making moves not for the betterment of the football team but because of his own ego. We all know he quivers when Reiss brings up the ’09 draft or when he drops the coffee cup like Kujan when people mention Chad Jackson.

I can almost see the Larry Johnson cartoon: the squat, Magoo-looking Belichick, freehanded Patriots logo on his gray hoodie, playing a shell game/three card monte with the Garoppolo picks in front of a background of scribbled lines. No idea what the caption would be, though.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Feejis
    Participant

Did any team ever come out and say what they offered the Pats for Jimmy or is this just the media GMs playing what if? I don’t recall Cleveland saying they offered any first round pick but maybe I missed it. I still don’t understand not getting enough. Guy played 6 quarters and the should have gotten a top 10 pick. No wonder why BB won’t talk to them.

Cleveland didn’t. They’re going off Mary Kay Cabot saying the Browns would have traded the 12th pick last year.

Sometime after he was fired I believe Sashi Brown was quoted as saying he “would have” traded the #4 overall pick for Jimmy.

Apparently they don’t teach how to operate a telephone at Framingham High and Harvard Law School.

Lebron
    Participant

Four teams called Dorsey with interest in moving up. None got serious. Only one team (I’d guess Arizona) offered a 2019 first-round pick as part of the package to move, which is surprising considering that two quarterbacks were still on the board when the fourth pick came up…So for those wondering why the Browns didn’t try to pillage some team by moving down a few spots, they never had the chance.

This is with regard to the 4th pick.  First of all, why bother even venturing a guess.  You have no insight, for all you know it was the Patriots – he has a bit later where he says the Patriots were meeting with Mayfield and may have made a move for him if he slipped, and Dorsey said the only offer for a pick next year was if Mayfield was still there.  Yet he just throws out “Arizona.”  Then he’s surprised that no one else offered a first rounder next year.  Well maybe because teams aren’t as stupid as you think and while they will give up 2nds or 3rds this year teams are a lot less willing to part with a first next year as well.  Might also make you think a bit more about the Patriots return for Garoppolo and everything that teams think about with regard to trading away draft picks.  Lastly, the tell of a dummy with the idea that one team is going to ‘pillage’ another team in a trade.  The Browns could have gotten 5 first rounders for that pick, and the 5 picks they make turn out to all be failures while the original pick they had yields a generational great.  But Pete can’t wait to hail it a pillaging the second it happens.

Lebron
    Participant

Something happened that only a very observant person might notice about the kind of respect his Oklahoma teammates had for Mayfield. When he walked into the Oklahoma indoor practice facility for his workout in front of the Browns, seven teammates were there to catch balls for him, and they were stretching on the other end of the field. Mayfield cupped his hands and called out a two-syllable signal to them: “HEE HEE!”

“HEE HEE!” they called back. They came jogging over to Mayfield.

“Damndest thing I’ve seen,” Jackson said. “Exactly like Baker was the Pied Piper.”

Only a very observant person.  I see what you did there.  Although I have no idea how this little exercise demonstrates respect.  No shock that Hue Jackson was blown away by it though.

Feejis
    Participant

Can you imagine that level of mental illness?

”He traded the pick he got for Jimmy so nobody can criticize the trade.”

Like if they picked Gronk in that spot people would have stopped ripping the deal? That’s your theory?

Claude45
    Participant

Ok, so play the media game. Belichick completely bungled the Jimmy G trade. So what now? Does this tarnish his legacy? Is he not getting into the hall of fame now? Will all the other GMs snicker and point when he comes into the room? Fade under the media heat?  Even if he screwed it up, it’s of little personal consequence. It certainly doesn’t rise to the point where Bill has to sit there dreaming up ways to confuse people. The deal was for a second round pick, end of story. I thought the Pats would get more but NFL trade value is strange, especially once you get the salaries involved.

Lombardi said this on his podcast. “Before the draft, no one would trade the number 1 pick for Jimmy G. Too steep. After the draft, no one would trade Mayfield for Jimmy G. Everybody would take Jimmy G”. So what are you going to do?

Anyway, see you in the Superbowl game thread in February.

InThisTown
    Participant

I don’t understand how it was difficult to understand the Jimmy return.

1) They had to wait until the deadline in case Brady got hurt

2) This necessitated a quick deal

3) Bill doesn’t like dealing with slapdick organizations

4) Any team negotiating with Bill likely knows they have a gun to his head because of the ticking clock. IF Bill is calling you about Jimmy, Bill wants to deal Jimmy. The clock also makes protracted negotiations less possible.

5) Lynch was quick and ready to do a deal

Maybe they could have gotten a third if they were playing guys off of each other but that’s not how they work.

Claude45
    Participant

I know very little about prospects but I have a strong feeling Cleveland screwed up the top of the draft.

Sometime after he was fired I believe Sashi Brown was quoted as saying he “would have” traded the #4 overall pick for Jimmy. Apparently they don’t teach how to operate a telephone at Framingham High and Harvard Law School.

Forgot about that.

There are a handful of outlets running with the narrative that Belichick’s trying to hide the Garoppolo pick return. We need a term to define the media practice of latching onto unverified speculation that fits your desired narrative. Something between “Confirmation Bias Journalism” and “Tomaseing”.

Lebron
    Participant

Forgot how much Loughery used to say “Doc” on early ’80s NBA broadcasts.  Like Olczyk and Maguire on hockey.

Hacksaw
    Participant

I don’t understand how it was difficult to understand the Jimmy return. 1) They had to wait until the deadline in case Brady got hurt 2) This necessitated a quick deal 3) Bill doesn’t like dealing with slapdick organizations 4) Any team negotiating with Bill likely knows they have a gun to his head because of the ticking clock. IF Bill is calling you about Jimmy, Bill wants to deal Jimmy. The clock also makes protracted negotiations less possible. 5) Lynch was quick and ready to do a deal Maybe they could have gotten a third if they were playing guys off of each other but that’s not how they work.

Perfect, the reason I love this board.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Forgot about that. There are a handful of outlets running with the narrative that Belichick’s trying to hide the Garoppolo pick return. We need a term to define the media practice of latching onto unverified speculation that fits your desired narrative. Something between “Confirmation Bias Journalism” and “Tomaseing”.

They will do absolutely anything and everything to push a narrative that falsely elevates their own importance to any given situation. They incessantly bitched and moaned about Bill “not getting enough” for JG, and the idea that Bill cares absolutely nothing for what they think and say, is something they continually refuse to agree to. So whatever BB did during the draft JUST HAD to be related to imaginary heat they imagine he was feeling about the JG trade, based on criticism generated by them.

Ironhead
    Participant

I am unbelievably amped for Sixers/Celtics.    I look forward to the Celtics winning the series so the basketball groupthink intelligensia won’t be able to furiously masturbate to Simmons/Embiid/Covington highlights until next year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar