Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/6/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 67 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  Claude45 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Welcome newest Patriot WR Jordan Matthews.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Jordan Matthews: Not a needle mover.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I’ll wait for the Media GMs to tell if this Matthews guy is any good.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Jordan Matthews: Not a needle mover.

He’s no Clay Matthews.  :dry:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

I heard Minihane the other day say the Wickersham story has been “proven true”. Has there been any development, some other reporter’s followup, that lends any credence to this, or is Kirk just talking out of his ass again?

Big Fat O
    Participant

It’s all speculation but accepted as fact. I’ve learned that B.B. is purposely screwing Brady by trading Cooks and not playing the others for making him trade Jimmy.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I’m glad that Matthews is filling a niche in the WR corps of slot receiver. Previously only Edelman really was suited to that. Mitchell’s an outside guy. Dorsett and Patterson are outside speed guys. I have no idea what Britt does well. Hogan can go inside but I think he’ll be used more outside.

I kind of think that the Pats will stay more or less in place with their high picks. Maybe a few slots up, but not the huge jump to get one of the “big four” QBs unless they slide to 15 or so. Get an LB or Edge and an OL in the first, a QB and TE in the second.

I think it’d be fun if the Bills burn more resources to jump up again to get their QB, spooked by the Pats getting in range.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I can’t see them drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds unless someone they like falls. Too many needs on defense and O line for them to take a QB.

jforb
    Participant

You left off an at all. /7963 (+5)

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I can’t see them drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds unless someone they like falls. Too many needs on defense and O line for them to take a QB.

It would shock you if they took a Kyle Lauletta at the end of Round 2 after they take an OT, a DE, and an LB before that? That’s sort of what I’m expecting if they don’t trade up.

Lebron
    Participant

Love how all the news outlets all say ‘yeah, that Connor MacGregor thing was probably staged’ then proceed to breathlessly cover it for hours on end.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

OH Boy!!!!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I’m pretty sure Artie Lange is all those things too so when does he get an Ivy League commencement gig?

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Someone tell Ironhead I’m feeling generous with the Photoshop stuff this week…  :lol:

Attachments:

BSF34
    Participant

OH Boy!!!!

It will be the most interesting and unusual commencement speech ever.

Wait, what?

Hacksaw
    Participant

Someone tell Ironhead I’m feeling generous with the Photoshop stuff this week… :lol: we-win

what a bunch of cry babies. Maybe ownership should have a vote confidence contest for themselves.

Lebron
    Participant

I can’t imagine paying however much in tuition to Dartmouth and that’s what you land for a commencement speaker.  They might as well stack all of the diplomas handed out that day so she can piss on them, then have a big bonfire for the parents where they can watch their tuition money burn.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I can’t imagine paying however much in tuition to Dartmouth and that’s what you land for a commencement speaker. They might as well stack all of the diplomas handed out that day so she can piss on them, then have a big bonfire for the parents where they can watch their tuition money burn.

My commencement speaker was Bill Safire.  Like or dislike him, you can’t say the guy had no gravitas.

Imagine having to tell people years from now that your CS was Mindy (WTF) Kaling? How embarrassing. I’d rather just lie and say I missed graduation because I had the shingles.

Suzy
    Participant

I can’t imagine paying however much in tuition to Dartmouth and that’s what you land for a commencement speaker. They might as well stack all of the diplomas handed out that day so she can piss on them, then have a big bonfire for the parents where they can watch their tuition money burn.

My thoughts exactly (except as usual, you & King said it better).

All that money…all that work to earn the degree from a fine, prestigious school…and that’s their choice of speaker for you and your parents/guests. Wow.

Ironhead
    Participant

Someone tell Ironhead I’m feeling generous with the Photoshop stuff this week… :lol: we-win

Fucking perfect.  Thanks SO VERY MUCH.

Ironhead
    Participant

I want to use that Photoshop on the @AlmostACoach account for the background photo, but the cock-sured tweet about not seeing anything exceptional about Arizona TE Gronkowski.  At all.  Is perfect.

Me English good.

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    Ironhead wrote: Fucking perfect. Thanks SO VERY MUCH.

No problem.

This shit doesn’t take me long, so anyone else is free to hit me up if the mood strikes…   :lol:

Feejis
    Participant

My commencement speaker was Bill Safire. Like or dislike him, you can’t say the guy had no gravitas. Imagine having to tell people years from now that your CS was Mindy (WTF) Kaling? How embarrassing. I’d rather just lie and say I missed graduation because I had the shingles.

We had Bill Cosby.  :-(

Ironhead
    Participant
    Ironhead wrote: Fucking perfect. Thanks SO VERY MUCH.

No problem. This shit doesn’t take me long, so anyone else is free to hit me up if the mood strikes… :lol:

I have some BSJ suggestions…

Kevin
    Participant

Really? Feel totally the opposite.

If they actually end up picking four times in the first two rounds, I’d be stunned if one of the four isn’t a QB.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I heard Minihane the other day say the Wickersham story has been “proven true”. Has there been any development, some other reporter’s followup, that lends any credence to this, or is Kirk just talking out of his ass again?

I don’t know if I heard that or someone else.  The gist of it was:  well, none of the specifics have been shown to be true but the sense of it is.

Suzy
    Participant

My commencement speaker was Bill Safire. Like or dislike him, you can’t say the guy had no gravitas. Imagine having to tell people years from now that your CS was Mindy (WTF) Kaling? How embarrassing. I’d rather just lie and say I missed graduation because I had the shingles.

We had Bill Cosby. 🙁

I imagine he was a good & entertaining speaker. How the mighty have fallen.  :dry:

Hey, has Fatty ever had the honor, even at a podunk place? “I once had a waiter who…be better than that, graduates.”  :wag:   :wag:

chicowalker
    Participant

We had Bill Cosby. 🙁

I imagine he was a good & entertaining speaker. How the mighty have fallen. :dry: Hey, has Fatty ever had the honor, even at a podunk place? “I once had a waiter who…be better than that, graduates.” :wag: :wag:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/06/16/commencement

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I have no recollection of my college commencement speaker, had to look it up. Want to guess why?

Frank Neil Newman is an American banker who served as Under Secretary of the Treasury for Domestic Finance from 1993 to 1994 and as United States Deputy Secretary of the Treasury from 1994 to 1995.

At least those Dartmouth kids will have shot at remembering who spoke at their graduation.

Upon more digging the speaker may have been this Frank Newman.

Frank J. Newman (February 24, 1927 – May 29, 2004) was a US education reformer and administrator who produced the Newman Reports, two ground-breaking reports on higher education in the United States that were published in 1971 and 1974. He served as the eighth President of the University of Rhode Island (1974–1983).

Just as bad I guess.

chicowalker
    Participant

My speaker was an oceanographer.  It was like 90 degrees out, and I was brutally hungover.  When she started “..to understand today’s oceans, we need to go back millions of years..” and my response was

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Frank Bellotti. The Antonio Cromartie of Massachusetts Attorney Generals. He has 12 kids. Who knew he’s still alive, he’s 94.

It was hot and wet, just a miserable day. I was one course shy of graduating, the school let me walk anyway. My parents didn’t want anyone to know their oldest child failed art history her last semester, so they made me walk to save face. Took me two years to take the last course.

Greek Freak
    Participant

Our speaker was Tim Russert…

jforb
    Participant

My speaker was an oceanographer. It was like 90 degrees out, and I was brutally hungover. When she started “..to understand today’s oceans, we need to go back millions of years..” and my response was

My graduation was upper 90’s (year before mine had snow, not sure which was better). Speaker (Bob Metcalfe) got up, made a joke about being told he had 10 minutes and he’d just wasted one, then kept it to around 10. Meanwhile, thunderstorm starts rolling in and the priest giving the final prayer or whatever droned on as it turned pitch black. Never saw as many people glaring like that before.

Coma
    Participant

I don’t remember the name of the person who spoke at my graduation. It was the “Year of the Woman” at the university that year so, fittingly, we had a female speaker. The downside was that it wasn’t someone famous, it was a faculty member of the school. I don’t think she was notable or an award winner in her field, either. It just had a “Donna, Are you busy on Saturday? Do you mind giving a speech?” feel to it.

That PK speech that Chico posted :blink:

This was from his intro and didn’t appear in his address to the graduates:

“Thank you, Dr. King,” OU president Rod McDavis said to me when it was over. He’d given me an honorary doctorate of communications degree, and I immediately took out my stethoscope and examined his head. Dr. King? That’s for Martin Luther, not Peter.

He includes this little slice of humility early on:

For the past 19 years, I’ve written about the NFL for Sports Illustrated, the largest sports magazine in the world. For the last 11, I’ve written a column for SI.com, Monday Morning Quarterback, that 2 million people click on, usually when they want to play hooky from work or school. I talk to millions Sunday nights during the fall on NBC. But preparing a commencement speech is far more harrowing than writing for, or talking to, millions of people I can’t see.

He even subjects people to a Brett Favre story.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Coma.

jforb
    Participant

Safe to assume he couldn’t go more than 5 minutes without a Brett Favre story back then. And maybe now.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I had Bush I.

I remember less than Chico does from his.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

We had Bill Cosby. 🙁

But did Bill Cosby have any of you?

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    But did Bill Cosby have any of you?

If he doesn’t remember it?  Maybe.

Natalie Jacobson

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

We had the alumni who was a high ranking undersecretary of the Navy. I went to an extreme left wing pinko school, so he was the rare case. It was fine.

Suzy
    Participant

We had Bill Cosby. 🙁

I imagine he was a good & entertaining speaker. How the mighty have fallen. :dry: Hey, has Fatty ever had the honor, even at a podunk place? “I once had a waiter who…be better than that, graduates.” :wag: :wag:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/06/16/commencement

I had an internship with the Associated Press in The Netherlands the fall after I graduated, and in the first month on the job in Amsterdam, without being able to speak the language, I learned that they expected me to do the work of the main correspondent there.

OH NOS.

Any other young man would have had a blast on this assignment in the Netherlands and Amsterdam; Fatty bitches about it.  But he ate Chinese food & a bagel for the first time at college, those were his highlights. 

NASCL
    Participant

Bill Bulger.

During the heyday of Jim’s crime spree.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Justice Stevens

NASCL
    Participant

More tone deaf, Joe Gill or Peter King?

2. I think entitlement lasts about a week out in the world. After that, no one cares who you are. They care what you can do.

Suzy
    Participant

Bill Bulger. During the heyday of Jim’s crime spree.

Wow, that’s pretty wild. You almost forget he was once kind of admired.  :ohmy:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Wow, that’s pretty wild. You almost forget he was once kind of admired. :ohmy:

He started his speech with “Senator, I don’t recall…”    :lol:

Participant

Wow, that’s pretty wild. You almost forget he was once kind of admired. :ohmy:

See the source image“I still admire all 65″ of the little guy Suzy.”

Suzy
    Participant

:ohmy:

Zip, MY EYES! 

I was perusing Bootleg Barnicle’s tweets the other day & couldn’t stop laughing…! They nail it.

chicowalker
    Participant

the nba_anonymous instagram is a fantastic treasure trove of “holy shit, that guy!”  I had NO idea this guy existed :ohmy:   :lol:

McHale was probably afraid of hurting someone’s grandpa.  Tom McMillen, later served in congress

chicowalker
    Participant

I must have been too high to remember, whatever the fuck this is started 24 games for the Celtics in 96-97

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar