Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/8/19 -4/14/2019 Week Thread or Weak Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 207 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 208 total)
  • Author

Hacksaw
    Participant

To start it off….Captain Lou Albano was just not a Captain he was the Guiding Light to tag team champions.

2 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

One of us?

Robert Kraft supporter (I guess) checks in. From Walter, of Franklin, Mass. “When Bob Klemko [of The MMQB] got [arrested] for playing Grand Theft Auto with a cab and cab driver did you tell him to just take the punishment? How about the time you and [Jenny] Vrentas decided you needed to use the bike lane to get to a football game on time? Had you been pulled over, would you have told Jenny just to take the fine and the insurance surcharge that goes with it? …What if the Coast Guard had decided they wanted to board your boat when you and your grandson were both not wearing life jackets? Would you have just accepted the fine?”

Also 328 Chauncey that story about Saccoccia and the wiretap was great

jforb
    Participant

I have little interest in it, and I didn’t have one email, tweet or text in the last two months asking me if I’d be covering the AAF, or criticizing my lack of attention to it.

People tweet him asking his opinion on everything else in the world, they really didn’t ask about this?

Participant

One of us?

Robert Kraft supporter (I guess) checks in. From Walter, of Franklin, Mass. “When Bob Klemko [of The MMQB] got [arrested] for playing Grand Theft Auto with a cab and cab driver did you tell him to just take the punishment? How about the time you and [Jenny] Vrentas decided you needed to use the bike lane to get to a football game on time? Had you been pulled over, would you have told Jenny just to take the fine and the insurance surcharge that goes with it? …What if the Coast Guard had decided they wanted to board your boat when you and your grandson were both not wearing life jackets? Would you have just accepted the fine?”

Thought the same thing. Of course, it falls on deaf (and dumb) ears:

Walter, this is quite an inside-baseball kind of email, but you asked, so I’ll answer. You’re referring to my note last week, when I said it made no sense for New England owner Robert Kraft to apologize for something, then to fight to prove his innocence in the same case. Klemko was involved in a he-said/he-said with a cabbie in Chicago with some extenuating circumstances; it was not an open-and-shut case. I did something stupid in the San Diego bike-lane incident, apologized for it, and would have deserved whatever punishment came of it. (There was none.) Re the life-jacket thing last summer, I had no idea wearing life jackets on board a boat was mandatory, but if there was a sanction, I’d have paid my price without complaint.

Regarding Kraft: He said, “I am truly sorry. I know I have hurt and disappointed my family, my close friends, my co-workers, our fans and many others who rightfully hold me to a higher standard.” And in the 15 days since he made that statement, he pleaded not guilty and requested a jury trial; his lawyers alleged an illegal search; his lawyers moved to suppress video evidence in the case; and he rejected an offer to take a plea deal. Well, what exactly did he publicly apologize for then? And why did he apologize if he was then going to allow his lawyers to argue for his innocence?

whatever punishment came of it. (There was none.)” – this fucking guy. Think of the traffic tickets he escaped because of “don’t you know me?” The free tickets, the gratis emergency dental surgery, the greased skids for his coddled daughters into schools and jobs. The celebrity, white privilege, VIP treatment is bad enough; it’s the complete obliviousness about said privilege that’s so maddening. 

He’s so fucking clueless about how charmed a life he lives. I’d wish ass cancer on him, but then we’d all be subjected to him writing about it.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

He’s so fucking clueless about how charmed a life he lives. I’d wish ass cancer on him, but then we’d all be subjected to him writing about it.

We’ve already been subjected to the story about him getting checked for it. One of the most disgusting things I have ever read on the internet, and that’s saying something.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

That’s a shame John and Linda.

Set those expectations for tomorrow’s festivities accordingly: Robert Kraft, Tom Brady, Bill Belichick are not expected to attend the home opener at Fenway Park. first ones on it.

Coma
    Participant

Re the life-jacket thing last summer, I had no idea wearing life jackets on board a boat was mandatory, but if there was a sanction, I’d have paid my price without complaint.

We’re expected to believe that Peter King has never been in a boat before last summer and, on his maiden voyage with his family, no one mentioned anything about safety precautions? I don’t recall the details of the story, but I assume they rented the boat. What did the boat rental place tell him? “It’s easy, it’s like driving a car. Oh, you’re from Manhattan and don’t have a car? Okay, but you’ve driven before, though, right? Great, then, you’ll be fine. Turn the key to start the motor, hit the gas to speed up, turn the wheel to turn. There’s no brake pedal, so just just ease off on the throttle to slow down. Other than that, try and keep her in the water and don’t hit any other boats or swimmers. I see you’ve got a cooler full of citrusy beer.  Have a few for me and bring the boat back in two hours.

This isn’t being unaware of societal norms and his good fortune. PK is completely full of shit if he’s claiming he had no idea about wearing life vests.

With the bike lane situation, he claims he apologized. To who? His readers? Who cares. His car didn’t get pulled over and he and Vrentas didn’t get in trouble. That’s the point he’s missing. He’s skated in these situations, but claims he would do “the right thing” if he was caught. The guy can’t stay quiet on the Quiet Car and requested a restaurant stay open late just for him and his friends, but he would never dare try to talk himself out of a ticket. :wall:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

To start it off….Captain Lou Albano was just not a Captain he was the Guiding Light to tag team champions.

When Girls Just Want to Have Fun comes on the radio, does anyone on this board not think of Captain Lou?

And in another homage to wrestling managers of the past, the Trumpster recently made a “Pencil Neck Adam Schiff” comment.

Participant

Pete hates mock drafts.

Hates them so much he’s doing two this year, but this one doesn’t count.

What follows is my attempt to help. I’ll do my annual mock draft two weeks from today, when, I hope, I’ll know a little bit more than 1. ARIZONA: KYLER MURRAY, QB, OKLAHOMA. I’m not going to predict what will happen in the first round here. Rather, with some education gleaned from calls to those who know in the last few days, I’m going to tell you what I think each team should do when the first round of the NFL’s 84th draft kicks off in Nashville on April 25.”

Participant

Didn’t I see somewhere – that the total is close to 50-50?  IT HAPPENED TO AARON ROGERS – TWICE DAMN IT!

Michael MacCambridge, the author of excellent football tomes “Chuck Noll: His Life’s Work,” and “America’s Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation,” shares my feeling about the NFL’s overtime rule. If a team wins the coin toss, elects to receive, and scores a touchdown on the first possession of OT, the game is over. New England did that in Super Bowl 51 against Atlanta, and again in this season’s AFC Championship Game in Kansas City. MacCambridge was raised mostly in Kansas City, and was in the stands at that game, and shares what he’s learned, and how he feels, about the overtime rule:

“The rule has to change eventually. It’s just going to come down to how many playoff games people want to watch in which a great quarterback never gets a chance to touch the ball. Since the rule was changed in 2011, it’s happened to Aaron Rodgers twice, to Ben Roethlisberger once, to Matt Ryan in the Super Bowl, and now to Patrick Mahomes.

“I understand the old-school mindset that says if you want to win the game, just stop the other team. But it’s not that simple; offense is up, touchdowns are up, yards-per-play numbers are up. And late in a playoff game, where the quarterbacks tend to be better, it’s harder to stop them.

“Which is why, since the rule was changed in 2011, a majority of post-season overtime games have ended on the very first drive. I don’t think that’s equitable, or the ideal way to settle a postseason game. (And I didn’t think it was equitable even before my favorite team got eliminated on the first drive of overtime.) The 2011 rule was a half-measure. Eventually the league will take the logical next step—each team is guaranteed one possession.” 

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This morning I followed a white Ram pickup truck with the license plate “GEHRIG”. I would have guessed that I was following Schilling except that there weren’t, like, 17 bumper stickers calling for Hillary Clinton to be Jailed or something.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I a just word Shilling would be driving around in a ’97 Geo and unable to afford vanity plates unless the state of RI said he could get them.

NASCL
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

If Pete is so altruistic he should contact the local authorities with regard to his bike lane and boating violations and volunteer to pay whatever fines would have been assessed.  So you only have to do these things when you get caught?  What is it they say about ethics, something like you do the right thing even when no one is watching?  I love how he says he would have gladly paid all fines without complaint, seeing as he didn’t have to do that.  I’m sure he would have bolted out of the landing boats guns blazing at Normandy as well.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

If the mail bag person used the baseball story that would seal the deal that it’s a local.  Still pretty strong evidence especially with the Grand Theft reference.

Love how Pete excuses it with ‘extenuating circumstances.’  He didn’t want to beat up the cabbie and steal his car, but he had to.

Also love how Pete refers to the mail bag person as a “Robert Kraft supporter.”  Maybe he just hates your hypocritical fat ass and is calling you on it in general.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Didn’t I see somewhere – that the total is close to 50-50? IT HAPPENED TO AARON ROGERS – TWICE DAMN IT!

Michael MacCambridge, the author of excellent football tomes “Chuck Noll: His Life’s Work,” and “America’s Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation,” shares my feeling about the NFL’s overtime rule. If a team wins the coin toss, elects to receive, and scores a touchdown on the first possession of OT, the game is over. New England did that in Super Bowl 51 against Atlanta, and again in this season’s AFC Championship Game in Kansas City. MacCambridge was raised mostly in Kansas City, and was in the stands at that game, and shares what he’s learned, and how he feels, about the overtime rule:

“The rule has to change eventually. It’s just going to come down to how many playoff games people want to watch in which a great quarterback never gets a chance to touch the ball. Since the rule was changed in 2011, it’s happened to Aaron Rodgers twice, to Ben Roethlisberger once, to Matt Ryan in the Super Bowl, and now to Patrick Mahomes.

“I understand the old-school mindset that says if you want to win the game, just stop the other team. But it’s not that simple; offense is up, touchdowns are up, yards-per-play numbers are up. And late in a playoff game, where the quarterbacks tend to be better, it’s harder to stop them.

“Which is why, since the rule was changed in 2011, a majority of post-season overtime games have ended on the very first drive. I don’t think that’s equitable, or the ideal way to settle a postseason game. (And I didn’t think it was equitable even before my favorite team got eliminated on the first drive of overtime.) The 2011 rule was a half-measure. Eventually the league will take the logical next step—each team is guaranteed one possession.”

So then when team 1 gets its second possession after team 2 ties it up, it’ll magically be fair? How does that logic come to be?

Also, is the claim that the majority of OT games have ended on the first possession true?

Which is why, since the rule was changed in 2011, a majority of post-season overtime games have ended on the very first drive.

“A majority” :lol: What a useless metric. 50.000000000001% is a majority. I think the number since 2011 was something like 53%, which is still statistically insignificant given the small number of overtime games in that span.

I didn’t care for the rule change in 2011 when they made it, but they’re making the same mistake now as they did then: changing a rule based on some subjective notion of “fairness”, not to mention the disproportionate bias toward what’s perceived as best for one position.

Also, is the claim that the majority of OT games have ended on the first possession true?

Now that you mention it,  I don’t think it is true. I think it’s more like 53% of the time, the team with the first possession wins, not that they win on that first possession.

jforb
    Participant

Having a bit of trouble with pfref’s play index but I think it’s 19 lead off touchdowns and 112 OT games since 2012, regular season only.
    ed: forgot I was searching home team only for totals and had divided in half
    ed2: thought the change was after 2011 so I used 2012 but looks like it was 2010, not redoing

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  jforb.

Feejis
    Participant

Now that you mention it, I don’t think it is true. I think it’s more like 53% of the time, the team with the first possession wins, not that they win on that first possession.

He said postseason only. I’m sure it’s a tiny sample size.

PFT had this about postseason OTs:

Since the new rules came into being, there have been eight postseason overtimes, and five of them have ended with a touchdown on the opening drive.

:lol:

Lebron
    Participant

“It’s not that simple!”  Actually, it is.

5 users thanked author for this post.

What if a team doesn’t have a perceived “franchise” quarterback? Is the rule “unfair” only if an Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes is on the losing end? Plus I suspect the same outrage wouldn’t be afforded to Tom Brady.

Participant

Pete coming out in support of Muffy the ND ladies basketball coach pays $2.20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar