Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/8/19 -4/14/2019 Week Thread or Weak Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 207 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 208 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

So John Parry retired and is taking a job with ESPN, so Tripplette only lasted one year.  At least now he can sleep through the games uninterrupted.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

What if a team doesn’t have a perceived “franchise” quarterback? Is the rule “unfair” only if an Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes is on the losing end? Plus I suspect the same outrage wouldn’t be afforded to Tom Brady.

You’re goddamned right.

5 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Common factor in all 5 of those games, the defenses sucked. An 80 yard pass, a 75 yard pass, 2 35 yard passes, 3 3rd and 10 conversions, and ATL being gassed to the point where I assume the Pats would have scored every possession after that if needed.
    But it’s unfair that the offense didn’t get a chance.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

1.  I believe that Peter actually believes he’s “helping” the teams with his not-mock draft.  What he’s actually doing is regurgitating the opinions of the 4 mouthy failure NFL execs that answer his questions.

2.  At some point good teams have to play defense to win.  I have no doubt the pats d in 51 or this years AFCCG would have kept their opponent to a FG at worst.  Because they are talented, tough, conditioned and trained for situations like that.   What is the exact makeup of a team that “deserves” to win?  Isn’t the team that is best prepared for all the conditions under which they play including the actual rules?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

What’s “unfair”, is that these armchair assholes were denied some “excitement” they seem to think think they’re entitled to, and/or the wrong team won.

That’s it.

Everything else is bullshit window-dressing rationalizing. Hypocrites and frauds, the lot of them. MacCambridge is example one. “I was for this before my favorite team lost!” Oh, yeah? I don’t remember hearing a peep out of you. Maybe I was sleeping. Can you prove that?

And Fatty is the worst of all. In a just world no human being would give a tinker’s dam what that pus-load thinks about anything.

Coma
    Participant

“I understand the old-school mindset that says if you want to win the game, just stop the other team. But it’s not that simple; offense is up, touchdowns are up, yards-per-play numbers are up. And late in a playoff game, where the quarterbacks tend to be better, it’s harder to stop them.

I’m sure the “late in a playoff game, quarterbacks tend to be better” claim can be backed up by exhaustive research. Or, at least, some research.

The bigger issue, to me, though is that if offense, TDs and yards-per-play numbers are up, why did Mahomes get shut out in the first half? The KC offense, with the league MVP and brilliant offensive coach Andy Reid couldn’t generate a FG in 30 minutes of football, but, because it’s important to be fair, they should get an extra chance in OT to try and tie the game. If Pete and his ilk keep getting their way, we’re about 5 years away from crowning “Co-Super Bowl Champions.”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

The rules simply ask that you keep the opposing offense out of the endzone on ONE DRIVE.

ONE.

And that’s only on the 50-50 chance you happen to lose the toss.

If your D is so shitty you can’t even do that, get the fuck out and stay out.

chicowalker
    Participant

1289 non-defensive non-return touchdowns in the NFL last year.  5558 total offensive possessions.  23.2% of all drives ended in an offensive touchdown.  While some were short field after a turnover, some were also surely late game prevent defense not of much consequence.  Hardly critical mass

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

The rules simply ask that you keep the opposing offense out of the endzone on ONE DRIVE.

ONE.

So they’ll change the rule and next year Mahomes goes out and gets the Chiefs seven on the opening drive of OT. Brady follows up with six of his own and then Belichick goes for two and wins, then they’ll have to change the rule again.

So what’s the proposal if both teams score? Sudden death at that point? Which would then be another perceived unfair advantage for the first team that they’d need to relitigate. When you have the Chiefs challenging the unfairness of a fucking coin flip, everything is fair game.

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

So what’s the proposal if both teams score? Sudden death at that point? Which would then be another perceived unfair advantage for the first team that they’d need to relitigate. When you have the Chiefs challenging the unfairness of a fucking coin flip, everything is fair game.

But a 10 or 15 minute full period is totally off the table.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I believe that unless we’re talking atrocious (Dave Lewis) or exceptionally good (Scotty Bowman) examples, hockey coaches don’t really have a huge impact on whether their teams win or lose.

That said, the irrelevant Florida Panthers may have become more of a factor in the Bruins’ conference next season by hiring Joel Quenneville today.

Claude45
    Participant

It’s all so astronomically dumb. If everything is so unfair about OT because the rules change, then don’t change the rules. Play timed periods/quarters until there is a winner at the end. If for whatever reason you don’t want to do that, (player safety or whatever) then it’s never really going to be “fair”. There will always be something. The “great QB” doesn’t get a chance to touch the ball is mind numbing. So for the last few years, it’s ok to screw over the rest of the Jaguars players because they are saddled with Bortles? Maybe that’s the rule, first team scores a touchdown they win, unless the QB on the other sideline is top 10 in the media greatness/exciting ratings. Then they get a shot.

Maybe they have two rules – one for coin flip- losing teams with franchise quarterbacks, and one for coin- flip losing teams with non-franchise QBs. After the flip, they call an emergency meeting of the Conventional Wisdom Committee to make a determination if the second possession quarterback is good enough to deserve a possession. There would also be a New England corollary: if the Patriots win the toss, the opposing quarterback is automatically deemed worthy; if they lose the toss, the first possession team can win with a field goal.

NASCL
    Participant

Has the government declared Loyko legally dead?

Coma
    Participant

ONE.

So they’ll change the rule and next year Mahomes goes out and gets the Chiefs seven on the opening drive of OT. Brady follows up with six of his own and then Belichick goes for two and wins, then they’ll have to change the rule again.

Well, then Mahomes would get another chance to try and score a game winning FG or TD. If he succeeds, then the game will be over and everyone will agree it was fairly contested.

As BBTL mentioned, these dopes feel cheated they didn’t get to watch a “great quarterback” try and rally his team. Where do we draw the line at “great quarterbacks,” though? You have the high profile guys, but you can’t say that Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Mitch Trubisky, etc don’t qualify because they might end up being great. It’s easier to identify the teams that don’t have a great QB – Miami, Jacksonsville, Washington and maybe Tampa Bay. Of course, all of those teams could draft highly regarded rookies, who will have to be considered great until they flame out.

Edit: Clauge45 and BBTL covered it better.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.

Fleetwood Mac realizes, “Wait a minute, we’re not jazz!” two days after Stones make the same realization.

Lebron
    Participant

I believe that unless we’re talking atrocious (Dave Lewis) or exceptionally good (Scotty Bowman) examples, hockey coaches don’t really have a huge impact on whether their teams win or lose.

That said, the irrelevant Florida Panthers may have become more of a factor in the Bruins’ conference next season by hiring Joel Quenneville today.

I’m still trying to figure out why Quenneville and the Avalanche parted ways after ’08.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Maybe that’s the rule, first team scores a touchdown they win, unless the QB on the other sideline is top 10 in the media greatness/exciting ratings. Then they get a shot.

That’s literally what they’re asking for, without explicitly saying so. The noise level of the complaint increases in relation to the wow-factor of the QB who doesn’t get the ball. The fools incense me.

Lefty

Maybe that’s the rule, first team scores a touchdown they win, unless the QB on the other sideline is top 10 in the media greatness/exciting ratings. Then they get a shot.

That’s literally what they’re asking for, without explicitly saying so. The noise level of the complaint increases in relation to the wow-factor of the QB who doesn’t get the ball. The fools incense me.

The media greatness/exciting ratings will need to be updated daily, however.   What is someone lies to Bob Costas or doesn’t sit for an interview with Peter King?   That QB gets no overtime opportunity.

Lefty

I mostly agree, unless someone is changing an entire system (like when Jacques Lamaire was dragging that friggin’ trap everywhere.  Hated it, but the teams “improved.”).   Regardless, Quenneville isn’t helping Florida unless he can play net.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I have to commend Fleetwood Mac for staying on brand so much that they kicked Lindsay Buckingham out of the group again in 2019.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Orioles Chris Davis ties the major league recorded for hitless at bats with 46?

Feejis
    Participant

I know UVA was #1 for a bit and a top seed but for a guy who only half pays attention to college BB, this game has the least cache I can recall.

Hacksaw
    Participant

BILA I saw the Bruiser Brody documentary. It’s excellent. Some pretty good insight on things went down thirty years ago.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar