Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/8/19 -4/14/2019 Week Thread or Weak Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 207 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 208 total)
  • Author

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Too bad Mitch Cumstain isn’t available

BrianInLA
    Participant

That’s just awesome. Wonder what sport he confused with CFL.

Also, Lakers in disarray, that’s a shame.

The Tital talk for the Lakers out here sure died down really fast. On to the Dodgers now. I think folks are going to start to turn on Lebron from the way things are sounding which would be glorious.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Magic as an executive didn’t work? Wow if only everyone hadn’t seen that coming.

Trading Russell so he could pass on Tatum and take Ball and his dad.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

If the Lakers win the lottery this year, then ironically Magic will have done a Homer Simpson.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Some professional sports bettor won over $110k on Jeopardy tonight. Good lord. Broke the old record by over 30k. The guy has won $244k so far in 4 days.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Some professional sports bettor won over $110k on Jeopardy tonight. Good lord. Broke the old record by over 30k. The guy has won $244k so far in 4 days.

I don’t know how anyone is ever going to beat this guy. Fast on the buzzer, great breadth of knowledge, guts of, well, a professional gambler.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Magic has proven incompetent in coaching, tv hosting and nba exec’ing – quitting each time because it was too hard Bill Simmons style.   So how is it he built a business empire?  It’s got to be some trumped up media facade right?  Like either there’s some business savant behind the scenes doing all the work and making all the right decisions or he’s sitting on a house of cards and eventually the whole thing will come crashing down?

chicowalker
    Participant

I love how one of the reasons he quit is he isn’t allowed to mentor players from teams he’s not affiliated with (and, historically, are probably the second biggest rival to the team he’s been with for 4 decades :dry:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Magic has proven incompetent in coaching, tv hosting and nba exec’ing – quitting each time because it was too hard Bill Simmons style. So how is it he built a business empire? It’s got to be some trumped up media facade right? Like either there’s some business savant behind the scenes doing all the work and making all the right decisions or he’s sitting on a house of cards and eventually the whole thing will come crashing down?

Was listening to the Simmons emergency podcast this morning and the irony meter was off the charts. Kept saying how Magic always quits when things get too hard including the NBA show they were doing together. Also love how Magic had a 3 hour meeting with Jeanie Buss earlier in the day but neglected to mention he was bailing. Class act.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Magic has proven incompetent in coaching, tv hosting and nba exec’ing – quitting each time because it was too hard Bill Simmons style. So how is it he built a business empire? It’s got to be some trumped up media facade right? Like either there’s some business savant behind the scenes doing all the work and making all the right decisions or he’s sitting on a house of cards and eventually the whole thing will come crashing down?

Was listening to the Simmons emergency podcast this morning and the irony meter was off the charts. Kept saying how Magic always quits when things get too hard including the NBA show they were doing together. Also love how Magic had a 3 hour meeting with Jeanie Buss earlier in the day but neglected to mention he was bailing. Class act.

The lack of basic business courtesy and common sense that it takes to tell your boss you’re quitting by holding a press conference is staggering.

chicowalker
    Participant

At first I was worried the NBA was going to pull some lottery nonsense and get Zion to the Lakers…now I don’t think I’d mind it.  I’m picturing a Gina Gershon- Liz Berkeley vibe with LeBron and Zion

chicowalker
    Participant

I quit a busboy job that way once and felt terrible about it

3 users thanked author for this post.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Providence Journal in attendance at the big announcement?  :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

Of course Magic did offer to help with any free agent negotiations going forward because he’s a helpful guy.

The local media is saying that Buss is the happiest person on the planet right now. No one was really happy with how Magic was running the team but they could never fire the guy (it’d be like the Celtics firing Bird if he were GM).

Suzy
    Participant

I don’t know how anyone is ever going to beat this guy. Fast on the buzzer, great breadth of knowledge, guts of, well, a professional gambler.

Haven’t watched the past few episodes–I liked the slightly geeky, cute guy who was winning right before him. I’ll have to check it out tonight.

ETA: Looked him up–I *have* seen this guy. My mother keeps saying, “Wow, he’s SMART!” :lol: He is impressive.

GusChiggins
    Participant

His smile drives me nuts. He’s incredible.

Lebron
    Participant

Same here, quit a dishwashing job back in high school when I just didn’t feel like going to work after a shitty basketball loss.  I’m more embarrassed about that than how I talked, or more accurately couldn’t talk to the ladies.

chicowalker
    Participant

Providence Journal in attendance at the big announcement? :lol:

:lol: I missed the boat not calling a presser

Lebron
    Participant

Wait, that’s Bill “I wanted to, but it was too hard” Simmons saying someone quits when things get hard?  And I don’t think he quit whatever NBA show with Bill because it was too hard.  I’m going off memory but pretty sure they moved Simmons off the show, punctuated with the Sage Steele eyeroll, and then Magic was pretty much leaving anyhow.

Lebron
    Participant

Of course Magic did offer to help with any free agent negotiations going forward because he’s a helpful guy.

The local media is saying that Buss is the happiest person on the planet right now. No one was really happy with how Magic was running the team but they could never fire the guy (it’d be like the Celtics firing Bird if he were GM).

Interesting contrast with Drunken Elway as GM here, the guy who runs the Bowlen Trust has rejected a few of his proposed moves like bringing back Shanahan as HC or Kubiak as OC.  Feels like this is pretty much his last shot.

I like how Magic says he had the green light to fire Walton and staff.  That’s nice to drop that nugget on the way out the door.

Lebron
    Participant

Austin Seferian-Jenkins signed.  He’s the guy that fumbled through the end zone in the Jets game right?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Austin Seferian-Jenkins signed. He’s the guy that fumbled through the end zone in the Jets game right?

Yes! That’s him.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Same here, quit a dishwashing job back in high school when I just didn’t feel like going to work after a shitty basketball loss. I’m more embarrassed about that than how I talked, or more accurately couldn’t talk to the ladies.

Mankind “I never got the chance to show the world I could love and could BE loved! I’M A GOOD KISSER!”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

ETA: Looked him up–I *have* seen this guy. My mother keeps saying, “Wow, he’s SMART!” :lol:He is impressive.

They’re all smart, mom. :lol:

It’s all guts and a perfectly-timed thumb….

There are ways of looking stupid. Like this asshole:  :lol:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-10-at-3.39.49-PM

Attachments:

Lebron
    Participant

Guessing Jeanie Buss got invites to Magic’s sex parties.  Get busy or get out!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar