Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/8/19 -4/14/2019 Week Thread or Weak Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 207 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 208 total)
  • Author

Coma
    Participant

A couple of days ago, Bedard sent out this tweet:

Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Mike Pennel, Austin Seferian-Jenkins … I eagerly await the Randy Gregory and Johnny Manziel eras for the Patriots.

Since then, I’ve been trying to understand his thinking or motivation behind it. Greg didn’t resort to the “I was just joking” defense to hostile responses, instead writing that he was stating “facts” and that it “would be a good time to have a character coach.” I’m not sure how projecting that two players will join the Patriots in the future is a fact. Maybe he’s referring to his eagerness about it.

One of the people who responded asked Bedard to do do this for every team. He ignored that comment. Floyd played for the Vikings and Redskins after his 3 game stint with the Patriots. The Jets picked up Pennel after the Packers cut him due to his suspension. The Browns definitely didn’t part ways with Gordon at the first sign of trouble. The Jets let Sefarian-Jenkins play the rest of the season after his 2 game suspension in 2017 and Jacksonville signed him the year after. Clearly, the Patriots aren’t the only team to sign “troubled” players. This couldn’t be done in a tweet, but an interesting angle might be to see if the Patriots sign more of these type of players than the rest of the league or if these players perform better in New England than elsewhere. That might be interesting to read, but Greg seems content with his “Ha Ha, the Patriots sign a lot of screw ups!” approach.

Something else that got my attention was a response from Bedard in a respectful back and forth with another poster. Greg wrote:

What you need to understand about my point of view … Twitter and my journalism are two totally different things. I’m not a punching bag on here; nobody has that right. I’ll return the same attitude anyone brings at me on here.

Maybe it’s just be, but I don’t separate Bedard on Twitter from Bedard writing an article. If someone is a jerk on social media, I’ll be less likely to read him. If they’re informative or amusing, they’ll get my time and attention. Plus, how is Greg a punching bag when he’s interviewing someone or writing an article? No one is making snarky comments or criticizing him when he’s doing that. I guess it’s a problem when he receives immediate feedback that isn’t all positive. I can’t find it now, but, I believe, somewhere in replies to this, Bedard posted something to the effect of “If someone is an a-hole to me, I’ll be an a-hole back.” That’s a reasonable approach. The problem for Bedard is that he never realizes when he’s the asshole (which is often.) He seems to think he’s sending out these benign, middle of the road comments and people are attacking him for no reason. I wonder if the guy from Pittsburgh that Greg modeled his site after was a dick on Twitter. Maybe that guy was smart enough that, if he was going to rely on people paying to read his articles, his default approach shouldn’t be “condescending jerk.”

jforb
    Participant

Hey a guy with 9900 subscribers can do whatever he wants.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Maybe it’s just be, but I don’t separate Bedard on Twitter from Bedard writing an article. If someone is a jerk on social media, I’ll be less likely to read him. If they’re informative or amusing, they’ll get my time and attention.

The fact that he’s disingenuous about this shows what a shitbag he is. EVERYTHING you do that your potential customers may read is part of your profession, and it is related to how they see you and the willingness of them to consume your content. If he doesn’t know this he’s an ignorant asshole. If he’s pretending not to know it, he’s a malicious one.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

“My journalism”

3 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Did we ever do a Bedard/Kramer briefcase of crackers photoshop?

Lefty

Maybe it’s just be, but I don’t separate Bedard on Twitter from Bedard writing an article. If someone is a jerk on social media, I’ll be less likely to read him. If they’re informative or amusing, they’ll get my time and attention.

The fact that he’s disingenuous about this shows what a shitbag he is. EVERYTHING you do that your potential customers may read is part of your profession, and it is related to how they see you and the willingness of them to consume your content. If he doesn’t know this he’s an ignorant asshole. If he’s pretending not to know it, he’s a malicious one.

This.  The current buzz word among a bunch of these mediots is that they have a “brand.”   Like the way Durant or other athletes try to create a “brand” around themselves.    There is an illusion that a radio host or a writer can have a “brand” based on the way they write, or carry their show, or whatever.   It’s odd, but they also think they can monetize that “brand” as if it really exists beyond sycophants and mental defectives.

Fine, if you want to believe you have a “brand,” then you have to understand that alleged brand is based on YOU.   That was YOUR CHOICE.   So, if Bedard thinks his creation/presence of his local sports journal thingy gives him a “brand,” he doesn’t get to separate Bedard the “brand” as defined by his self image as visionary editor and writer from his presence on twitter or other social media.   Because of the way he chose to structure his brand, his social media presence is a MAJOR part of that brand and people’s acceptance or rejection of it.    If he wants to have a heel brand and go full antagonist, he can do that as others have to differing levels of success.   But he can’t be the “plucky start up guy who has a lot of good sports knowledge and whose opinion you want to PAY to read” and at the same time be a complete narcissistic thin skinned douchebag on the social media accounts he uses to pimp his site.    It doesn’t work that way.   I just think he is too insecure to realize it.

7 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

You know who’s big on developing a personal brand. And probably is available for consultation?

Also, when did these couple days become big for vacation? Absolutely no one around the office.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

You know who’s big on developing a personal brand. And probably is available for consultation?

Also, when did these couple days become big for vacation? Absolutely no one around the office.

Pulling the kids out of school early to commence vacation week?

Dole’s crank, deader than in this town right now.

Lebron
    Participant

I always see something new in that photo.  My god the posture, can’t even stand up straight.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Fine, if you want to believe you have a “brand,” then you have to understand that alleged brand is based on YOU. That was YOUR CHOICE. So, if Bedard thinks his creation/presence of his local sports journal thingy gives him a “brand,” he doesn’t get to separate Bedard the “brand” as defined by his self image as visionary editor and writer from his presence on twitter or other social media. ..I just think he is too insecure to realize it.

Unless “Self-centered snarky asshole who doesn’t know anything” is the “brand” he’s shooting for.

1 user thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

I’m assuming that’s Joe Gill, I just get

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead :lol:  

4 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

I’m assuming that’s Joe Gill, I just get

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead :lol:

not sure who’s less athletic, Joe Gill or the Boston Media.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The Worlds Most Interesting Man is going to be in the new Star Wars….you know the guy in the Colt 45 commercial.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Just reading up on the Mighty 1090 out of San Diego, looks like they stopped paying their broadcasting lease.

In the same article one of their competitors has been working for WEEI on the side.

Per the San Deigo Reader.

Insiders at the Mighty 1090 have said they do in fact hope that a “white knight” will emerge and get Mighty 1090 back up and running. But should that not happen, many said a talent raid by The Fan 97.3 may be on deck. The Fan morning host Dan Sileo has been promoting his recent nighttime work on Boston’s WEEI, an Entercom-owned sister station of The Fan, prompting some to suggest he could very easily segue to that East Coast station. WEEI is famous for a talent lineup populated by gruff, Trump-loving sports hacks like Sileo.

REACT!!!!!!

Coma
    Participant

I always see something new in that photo. My god the posture, can’t even stand up straight.

It’s like analyzing the Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot video – “A normal man wouldn’t slouch like that. Could it be a missing link?”

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I always see something new in that photo. My god the posture, can’t even stand up straight.

It’s like analyzing the Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot video – “A normal man wouldn’t slouch like that. Could it be a missing link?”

Check the picture bunker. I’d put it here but WordPress!

Yahtzee
    Participant

I’m not sure I’d use the word “talent” in this context.

Big Fat O
    Participant

It’s obvious Coach Betard doesn’t apply the same standards for personnel as he think BB should. Maybe Coach needs a character consultant.

Its hard to take Coach Betard serious since it’s obvious he hates BB and the way he does business. Just like Borges, TBH, Breer they take it personally and let the hatred factor into everything they think.

The other day Felger was crapping on BB for paying guys like Ebner more money than Felger thinks he should pay. On the other hand BB is cheap for not getting a high priced wide receiver.

If you had no idea about football and started to read and listen to the media around here you would think the Pats went 0-16 every year.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Tampa already down 3-0 and look awful.

jforb
    Participant

Coach Bedard right again.

Casting: they also have old friend John Wasdin in the bullpen as the coach.
    McDonough: that’s a good place for him considering the number of his pitches that ended up there. :lol:

Hacksaw
    Participant

Coach Bedard right again.

Casting: they also have old friend John Wasdin in the bullpen as the coach.

McDonough: that’s a good place for him considering the number of his pitches that ended up there. :lol:

Heard that too. McDonough has been good tonight. He seems to be cutting on Lou quite a bit and the farthest homerun hit at Fenway folklore.

Participant

Tampa already down 3-0 and look awful.

5-1 yikes

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Tampa was the team that were the presumed champions this year, right?

Big Fat O
    Participant

Watching the Masters and of course the announcers are all fawning over Tiger. Here’s a guy who treated the media like shit in his hey day and they were scared to death of crossing him for fear they’d be shut out.

Down Rt 1 you have the equivalent of Tiger where the Coach is considered the best ever and the media tries as hard as they can to cut him down at ever corner.

Participant

Tampa was the team that were the presumed champions this year, right?

‘Bolts were a wagon bro.

Haggs said the B’s couldn’t beat them in playoffs.

Could be right, but not for reasons he thought.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar