Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/24/17 Daily Thread

This topic contains 118 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  CornerBlitz 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 119 total)
  • Author

Rickkyboy
    Participant

vacation week hangover? Wth?

InThisTown
    Participant

So Pedroia is a self-preserving dbag – do I have that right?

Kevin
    Participant

Zookeepers scoffing at the idea that John Henry might slant to anti-Patriots coverage?

That’s not even a conspiracy theory.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Zookeepers scoffing at the idea that John Henry might slant to anti-Patriots coverage? That’s not even a conspiracy theory.

Didn’t Lucchino flat-out admit that they felt the Pats were their competition?

Big Fat O
    Participant

All you need to know about Werner and the Sox is during Friday nights game they had Remy and Obrien on with Jack and Brick during one of the periods.

Someone may forget about their beloved Red Sox 3 weeks into the season during a Bruins playoff run.

Coma
    Participant

Zookeepers scoffing at the idea that John Henry might slant to anti-Patriots coverage? That’s not even a conspiracy theory.

Yeah, I can remember the Globe doing a mocking fold-in for the Red Sox and their fans several times :rollseyes:

On the Brady/charity story, anyone who says/tweets/posts that “I’d want to know if my donation goes to Brady’s kid’s school” deserves to be strangled for 15 seconds or so. Someone pointed out last night that there’s an excellent chance that the people complaining about this never donated anything to Best Buddies, but they’re quick to make it sound like the money is going directly to Brady’s kids.

What is it, 7% of the donation is going to other charities? So, some portion of 7 cents on the dollar is going to a school, to benefit the entire school, not just the Brady children. Should the UN convene a crimes against humanity tribunal about this?

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Yeah, I can remember the Globe doing a mocking fold-in for the Red Sox and their fans several times :rollseyes:

On the Brady/charity story, anyone who says/tweets/posts that “I’d want to know if my donation goes to Brady’s kid’s school” deserves to be strangled for 15 seconds or so. Someone pointed out last night that there’s an excellent chance that the people complaining about this never donated anything to Best Buddies, but they’re quick to make it sound like the money is going directly to Brady’s kids.

What is it, 7% of the donation is going to other charities? So, some portion of 7 cents on the dollar is going to a school, to benefit the entire school, not just the Brady children. Should the UN convene a crimes against humanity tribunal about this?

And no charity, or at least none that I have seen, advertise the breakdown of where every dollar is going while they are promoting the charity. The information is obtainable but you are not going to see or hear it on a 30 second commercial. I see Fatty is all over the “bad optics” take. How is it bad optics if its public information? Please pull out the same magnifying glass to all there other charities and let me know how those optics are. It’s not like TB is Stern’s wife using a cat wrangling charity as employment.

Kevin
    Participant

Minihane is on that, too.

“Bad look”. By who?

If it’s not illegal, unethical, or uncommon, who cares?

Participant

But it wasn’t a bad look to have the inventors of METCO GORILLA visiting minority kids who are a sick.

Glad that’s cleared up.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Minihane is on that, too. “Bad look”. By who? If it’s not illegal, unethical, or uncommon, who cares?

The Globe SPINS it as a “bad look.”

It’s not a “bad look” until the Globe invents it. Then the parrots fall into line.

Participant

j. Lena Dunham is really good. I will follow her career and watch what she does.

Late to the party Peter is the best.

Yahtzee
    Participant

j. Lena Dunham is really good. I will follow her career and watch what she does.

Late to the party Peter is the best.

Who wants to be invited to that party?

Participant

j. Lena Dunham is really good. I will follow her career and watch what she does. Late to the party Peter is the best.

Who wants to be invited to that party?

Peter.

chicowalker
    Participant

Liquor store 1/2 between PC and Chad Brown projects (30s of Natty/40s of OE are their business) randomly has 6 or 7 six packs of Celebration still in the cooler :blink: I bought one the other night, still…good-ish :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

One gripe I do have with Brady.

“Change the World” is almost as generic as “The Human Fund”. :lol:

InThisTown
    Participant

Not as rough as the Duane Starks projects, that’s where everyone gets beat.

chicowalker
    Participant

Providence has both the Chad Brown projects and Wiggins Village :ohmy:

BSF34
    Participant

One gripe I do have with Brady. “Change the World” is almost as generic as “The Human Fund”. 😆

Money for people Apple Orchid

Wait, what?

Kevin
    Participant

:lol:

Oh no, call the fire department. Someone’s burning the Wilhite Apartments again.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Apparently Pedroia isn’t much for omerta but maybe Barnes is a huge cunt and we just don’t know about it.

While Fatty did call the Brady Best Buddies thing “bad optics” (everything’s about how something looks with this asshole), he did generally take the correct tack, which is that Best Buddies was enriched multiple times over because of Brady’s involvement, and he pocketed not one cent from their arrangement.

Still, Fatty being Fatty, he misses the opportunity to draw a comparison when he later mentions how his podcast with Brady was an outlier in terms of public interest:

d. Podcasting might be the way of the future. I love it. I love having extended conversations with smart people in and around football, and I believe this is the kind of content people who love the game are going to grow to love more and more. So far, a very large number of you have downloaded the Tom Brady podcast I did in February. That’s probably an outlier, because 76 minutes of thoughtful and real Tom Brady is going to attract a crowd.

The conclusion’s an easy one to draw: Brady’s a commodity and his involvement in anything brings clicks, eyeballs, readership and charitable donations. Moreover, should he choose not to be active in things he previously has done freely, it would be an enormous hit to those previously basking in the glow of his involvement.

He’s too nice a guy to do such a thing, but it does make you wonder sometimes why these guys even bother. There’s always some asshole out there looking to find fault with whatever you do.

InThisTown
    Participant

Apparently Pedroia isn’t much for omerta but maybe Barnes is a huge cunt and we just don’t know about it.

Guy yaps more off the record than Ray Allen. Also, “”I’ve turned the best double play in the major leagues for 11 years,”

:dry:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

There’s always some asshole out there looking to find fault with whatever you do.

It’s worse than that, because being an asshole who finds fault is what gets rewarded.  Piece of shit industry.

InThisTown
    Participant

😆 Oh no, call the fire department. Someone’s burning the Wilhite Apartments again.

The Waiver Wire

Nick Caserio and Pepper Johnson break down Gary Guyton’s route to a screen pass using only one word.

Coma
    Participant

I see Fatty is all over the “bad optics” take.

That’s quadruple caramel latte rich coming from PK. What are the optics of him hitting up his readers for money for Dr. Z? Did he ever reveal what happened to the proceeds from last summer’s fundraising efforts? I get most of my PK information from this board, but I don’t recall ever seeing anything about him delivering a check to Mrs. Dr. Z.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

What are the odds that both Butler and Garoppolo are both on the team on Friday?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Not a lot of original thought left to contribute on the point, but as usual, the masses are wrong about Horford.

How many 4’s or 5’s in the NBA can grab a contested rebound, lead the break, make the right pass for a lay-up and end up cleaning up the miss (or in last’s nights game, get the ball back and finish with an and-1)?

Here’s what I got for answers: Horford, Draymond, A. Davis, Randle, Towns, maybe Porzingis.  All the other answers are wings.

chicowalker
    Participant

Not a lot of original thought left to contribute on the point, but as usual, the masses are wrong about Horford. How many 4’s or 5’s in the NBA can grab a contested rebound, lead the break, make the right pass for a lay-up and end up cleaning up the miss (or in last’s nights game, get the ball back and finish with an and-1)? Here’s what I got for answers: Horford, Draymond, A. Davis, Randle, Towns, maybe Porzingis. All the other answers are wings.

That play (the and-1) crystallized his importance.  Anyone who criticizes Horford over counting stats probably doesn’t watch much basketball, and most certainly have never played basketball

has? my English degree, for the first time ever, is failing me :dry:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  chicowalker.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Guy yaps more off the record than Ray Allen. Also, “”I’ve turned the best double play in the major leagues for 11 years,” :dry:

Are we just now discovering the pocketJAG has a high opinion of himself?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

InThisTown
    Participant

Guy yaps more off the record than Ray Allen. Also, “”I’ve turned the best double play in the major leagues for 11 years,” :dry:

I’ve watched more episodes of Girls than I’ve watched Red Sox innings in the last five years.

chicowalker
    Participant

I freely admit to not knowing much about him, but I had no idea Andre Roberson was this awful a FT shooter.  49% for his career, 27% in the playoffs :ohmy:   Can you think of a non-center who has been this terrible?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Should be a tumultuous episode of Chad Finn’s Sports Machine this Friday.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

I remember Pedroia bitching about the condition of the infield, like too many pebbles in the dirt.  Imagine the conversation with the groundskeeper went something like this

InThisTown
    Participant

I freely admit to not knowing much about him, but I had no idea Andre Roberson was this awful a FT shooter. 49% for his career, 27% in the playoffs :ohmy: Can you think of a non-center who has been this terrible?

Doug Gottleib is the only non-big I can think of, of course that was not in the NBA.
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html

Rondo had a horrid stretch at a couple of points.

I’ve not read one pre-draft article or player profile. It’s been glorious.

InThisTown
    Participant

How much is due to overall league fatigue and how much is due to “I did this for X number of years and had nothing to show for it?” I mean, I’m in the same boat and there’s a tendency to blame Goodell and his mismanagement of the league but I find it’s just general exhaustion with all associated commentary on sports in general.

chicowalker
    Participant

I freely admit to not knowing much about him, but I had no idea Andre Roberson was this awful a FT shooter. 49% for his career, 27% in the playoffs :ohmy: Can you think of a non-center who has been this terrible?

Doug Gottleib is the only non-big I can think of, of course that was not in the NBA. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html Rondo had a horrid stretch at a couple of points.

I don’t even consider the takez of anyone under 70%.  Given his shooting  numbers, I wonder how he put up such good assist totals.  Defenders must have just been sagging in passing lanes daring him to shoot

Participant

The media never will, he’s been filling their notebooks for a decade – a honkie, so you know he’s gritty.

InThisTown
    Participant

Doug Gottleib is the only non-big I can think of, of course that was not in the NBA. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html Rondo had a horrid stretch at a couple of points.

I don’t even consider the takez of anyone under 70%. Given his shooting numbers, I wonder how he put up such good assist totals. Defenders must have just been sagging in passing lanes daring him to shoot

That’s exactly what they did. He played with Mason and Peterson who were both good players. You shoot four or five times a game, play 30 minutes, you better average that many assists as a PG.

Lebron
    Participant

For me it’s mostly because they don’t have a pick until the 3rd round and no way can I possibly have a clue what will happen by the time they pick 72nd or whatever it is.  So it’s like a bye year.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Good to know the Jimmy Fund WEEI/Red Sox Telethon is the most honest charity.

Chief
    Participant

The caterwauling among the media about Barnes throwing at Machado is intolerable.  You’d think that pitchers hadn’t been throwing at batters for, oh, a century.  Would I prefer the pitch be a little lower?  Sure.  But fuck Machado.  He has a reputation.  He’s hardly blameless.

Sadly, led by former board member SB.  And Jason LaCanfora, who called on the Os pitchers to throw at PJag every time he comes next week, then added that of Pedroia is out of the lineup, to throw at Mookie all series long.

Yahtzee
    Participant

For me it’s mostly because they don’t have a pick until the 3rd round and no way can I possibly have a clue what will happen by the time they pick 72nd or whatever it is. So it’s like a bye year.

I was away this weekend so I missed Craig and Larry. Did noted draftnik LJ have any insight for us? He loves the draft, he really does.

Suzy
    Participant

I remember Pedroia bitching about the condition of the infield, like too many pebbles in the dirt. Imagine the conversation with the groundskeeper went something like this

And the Globe’s a fucking disgrace. That’s all.

Kevin
    Participant

WEEI.com is a weird place.

When you already have Bradford and Tomase looking to take a shot at the Patriots any way possible to distract from Red Sox mediocrity, why do you need a third guy in Fuckface Reimer?

Participant

WEEI.com is a weird place. When you already have Bradford and Tomase looking to take a shot at the Patriots any way possible to distract from Red Sox mediocrity, why do you need a third guy in Fuckface Reimer?

Their audience skews twink?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  02062.

chicowalker
    Participant

For me it’s mostly because they don’t have a pick until the 3rd round and no way can I possibly have a clue what will happen by the time they pick 72nd or whatever it is. So it’s like a bye year.

I was away this weekend so I missed Craig and Larry. Did noted draftnik LJ have any insight for us? He loves the draft, he really does.

I normally hear my five minutes of Mustard and Johnson between the gym and the market around 9:15…I was roped into helping someone move saturday (toooldforthisshit.jpg) so I heard the last ten minutes of the show…LJ was in a frenzy, greeting each caller like he was a POW and they were his liberator.  Probably represented his last human contact for a week, save for the nice lady at CVS who gives him his insulin

Kevin
    Participant

Was kinda wondering if/when Chatham would mention this. His wife works for the Andruzzi foundation.

Coma
    Participant

How much is due to overall league fatigue and how much is due to “I did this for X number of years and had nothing to show for it?” I mean, I’m in the same boat and there’s a tendency to blame Goodell and his mismanagement of the league but I find it’s just general exhaustion with all associated commentary on sports in general.

For me, one led to the other. For the first time since 1990*, I didn’t buy any draft magazines last year to protest the Patriots top pick being stolen. After skipping it, I found I hadn’t really missed anything and didn’t look to buy any this year. I don’t know if I got much out of them except a little more information than from just watching college football. These days, though, no one in my house is interested to hear that the safety who just whiffed on a tackle was projected as a high pick before his final season, but ended up falling in the draft.

*You laugh, but check Overstreet for the value of a 20 year run of Sporting News draft annuals in Very Fine condition :lol:

Larry Legend
    Participant

Not a lot of original thought left to contribute on the point, but as usual, the masses are wrong about Horford. How many 4’s or 5’s in the NBA can grab a contested rebound, lead the break, make the right pass for a lay-up and end up cleaning up the miss (or in last’s nights game, get the ball back and finish with an and-1)? Here’s what I got for answers: Horford, Draymond, A. Davis, Randle, Towns, maybe Porzingis. All the other answers are wings.

Boogie should be on the list, but that’s about it.

Al Horford is really good. Maybe, just maybe, the team’s inability to rebound goes to 3/5ths of the most frequently used lineup being under 6-4.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar