Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/26/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 173 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 174 total)
  • Author

Nick B
    Participant

Will tonight be the night a Home team wins a game in this series?

Nick B
    Participant

it’s official, Cassidy named Bruins Coach.

Participant

Larry Legend
    Participant

yes

Kevin
    Participant

Just once I’d like to read a Herald article without the browser completely freezing up with some adware.

Kevin
    Participant

Another day of Hernandez was gay and no one will say it but us? :lol:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Kevin.

NASCL
    Participant

Does ‘EEI think Reimer’s weekend escapades are a ratings bonanza? I’d rather hear the Jagr impression.

NASCL
    Participant

10 bands/performers I’ve seen live. Which one is a lie?

:weei: :wall:

InThisTown
    Participant

Edgy Kirk doing his Felger impression that he ripped off from us is at least enjoyable.

Participant

Edgy Kirk doing his Felger impression that he ripped off from us is at least enjoyable.

Earlier he threw in a “I’m Marc Bertrand call me Beetle and you aren’t allowed to talk about how fat I am.”   :lol:

Hacksaw
    Participant

Does ‘EEI think Reimer’s weekend escapades are a ratings bonanza? I’d rather hear the Jagr impression.

When they started using him for their show, I stopped listening. Its just a young Steve Buckley bragging about how he knows everything.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Hacksaw.

Kevin
    Participant

Should we give “Diabeetle” to Edgy Kirk?

Kevin
    Participant

Just found I’ve got tickets for tonight.

I’m a #FenwayWeather guy today!

I’d rather go to a warm game in July, too.

BSF34
    Participant

Wait, what?

Kevin
    Participant

Was just gonna going to say that ESPN layoffs seem to be happening today.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Werder’s a good start.

Claude45
    Participant

“I have no plans to retire.” You may not Ed but let’s just wait and see what the rest of the world has to say about it.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’m sure there’s a Cowboy somewhere with an unsucked dick. Werder will be fine.

Claude45
    Participant

Luckily for Ed, this just came across my twitter feed. All you need is a DVR and random number generator!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-is-looking-for-new-analysts/

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Was just gonna going to say that ESPN layoffs seem to be happening today.

It’s a gameday thread, now!

Kevin
    Participant

Wasnt Werder a Deflategate asshole?

Can’t seem to find out how.

Participant

Luckily for Ed, this just came across my twitter feed. All you need is a DVR and random number generator! https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-is-looking-for-new-analysts/

What about me Claude?

Nashua Dad
    Participant

King will hire Werder if he truly runs the show over there at his micro site.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Wasnt Werder a Deflategate asshole? Can’t seem to find out how.

Werder’s an asshole on pretty much everything.

Participant

Oh, it’s worse than originally thought, that’s a shame.

“ESPN will cut more than 100 employees today, Yahoo Finance has learned.

That number is much bigger than the 40-50 that was initially reported. ESPN aims to notify all of the people today, if it can do so.”

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Wasnt Werder a Deflategate asshole? Can’t seem to find out how.

Sure was. Defended Mortensen and repeated that if nothing happened, Kraft would have fought the team punishment.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Oh, it’s worse than originally thought, that’s a shame. “ESPN will cut more than 100 employees today, Yahoo Finance has learned.

That number is much bigger than the 40-50 that was initially reported. ESPN aims to notify all of the people today, if it can do so.”

“if it can do so?”

Give me a megaphone and one of those canes they use at the Apollo.  I’ll do it for free.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

That show is awful. 80% of it is ‘feuds’ between the hosts, with other shows, and with the other station. The other 20% percent is beating the dead horse of whatever ‘shocking’ news is out there. Kirk openly mocks talking about sports. That’s a show?

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Coma
    Participant

“I have no plans to retire.” You may not Ed but let’s just wait and see what the rest of the world has to say about it.

Hey, Deadspin’s hiring

:lol:

InThisTown
    Participant

That show is awful. 80% of it is ‘feuds’ between the hosts, with other shows, and with the other station. The other 20% percent is beating the dead horse of whatever ‘shocking’ news is out there. Kirk openly mocks talking about sports. That’s a show?

I think it’s easily the best show in the market. It’s not good, but what – I’m going to listen to people who don’t know anything about sports tell me about sports?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I didn’t think I’d be this energized by the ESPN firings, but here I am.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Can they fire Dickie V?

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Fuck it I’m not making it smaller.

Coma
    Participant

King will hire Werder if he truly runs the show over there at his micro site.

Does he, though? They had to cut Donnie Brasco loose a few months ago and sent AlmostCoach Craig to SI where he was let go. I’d be surprised if there was a soft landing spot at MMQB for Werder.

Participant

boo-hoo

Kevin
    Participant

Keep refreshing Twitter to see who’s the next layoff. A lot of Callahan-types saying they stopped watching because ESPN is too lieberal.

I don’t buy that. Like I can guess what Jemele Hill’s political bent is, but I don’t watch her because she sucks, not because she likes Kaepernick kneeling.

I’d bet Chris Berman is a conservative. I don’t know because his schtick sucks so I stopped watching his pregame show years ago.

Lebron
    Participant

I hope if SalPal gets it they have Bruschi do the notification

Laid you off early?  Laid you off early?  I’ll lay you off all day!  What’d they give you, 6 weeks severance?*

*likely getting something like a year or whatever the remainder of their contracts are

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I did some spreadsheet tinkering with the data of the 17 drafts in the Belichick New England era. I used Pro Football Reference’s Career AV and Draft AV measures as a rough measure of a player’s quality.  Career AV measures the amount of productivity a player accumulates in his career. Draft AV measures only the productivity that the player earns only for the team that drafted him, so Darius Butler looks OK using Career AV but not Draft AV.  I’m sure you can nitpick the AV stat, but it’s roughly a fair indication that a given player is playing and contributing.

This measure leaves out undrafted FAs like Malcolm Butler and Randall Gay and gives very little value for Special Team aces like Matthew Slater.  Punters and Kickers get proper value, however. Trading picks for players will not show up here, so in 2007 the Pats won’t receive any benefit for trading for Moss and Welker, and the reverse is true for years when they trade players for picks.

Anyway, I simply summed up the AV values for each draft year and ranked the Pats vs. the sums of each of the other teams for that year. (Microsoft Excel’s pivot table function is pretty great.)  I assigned an A if they ranked in the top 6, B for 7-12, C for 13-18, D for 19-24, and F for 25-32.

Anyone care to guess the distribution of grades for the 17 seasons?  It’s at least one of each grade.

chicowalker
    Participant

Fuck it I’m not making it smaller.

Nor should you, sir, nor anyone.  Many times confronted with this dilemma, with one part of my anatomy writing a proverbial check uncashable by another, I’ve declared “once more into the fray!” and dealt with, let’s say, “unfortunate overdraft penalties”

Kevin
    Participant

Someone on twitter said then they started sending Adam Schefter to cover NBA games, it was no joke. :lol:

Kevin
    Participant

Who is on your Mt. Rushmore of ESPN layoffs? :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

Someone should tell Jemele we don’t care if it’s like rooting for Hitler or Gorbachev we’re all rooting for mass bloodletting at that cesspool, and maybe a little Duracell treatment for the assholes left standing.

chicowalker
    Participant

Who is on your Mt. Rushmore of ESPN layoffs? 😆

Mortensen, Jackson, Vitale, Ditka

Lebron
    Participant

Brunell and Hoge are slam dunks.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Can they get rid of Jaworski too? Old and painful.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Someone on twitter said then they started sending Adam Schefter to cover NBA games, it was no joke. 😆

It’ll be awkward when he has to pause his report to tweet about Legarrette Blount visiting Buffalo.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

That asshole ombudsman wearing Jets footie pajamas.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Seems like a lot of the NFL beat guys are getting the boot; I fear for Reiss (OOTGG™️ for real).

Kevin
    Participant

Mortensen, Jackson, Vitale, Ditka

Mort and Jackson are locks. Don Van Natta and Kenny Mayne.

Coma
    Participant

That asshole ombudsman wearing Jets footie pajamas.

Good call. What does he produce, two articles a year and those aren’t even critical of the company? Some exec should be asking why they just don’t save some money and ignore the controversies that the ombudsman might respond to.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 174 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar