Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 4/9-4/10/2016 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 112 replies, has 35 voices, and was last updated by  Miserable Fellow 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

The game has passed Neely by. The answer isn’t getting more tough guys that are good in the corners but can’t skate. The elite teams have guys who can score, skate and grind. You don’t start with the grinders. If Neely’s calling the shots, and god forbid brings Millbury in, they’re done.

You can already see the beat guys setting up the story, talking about leadership and grit – not skill on defense or scoring ability. A Shawn Thornton type is not the answer.

Patrick Pass
    Participant

The Judge summarily rejected Carey’s request for a TRO without even having a hearing in the dumb Patriots fan suit.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

At first I laughed at the tattoos, but the Red Sox undershirt is the best.

Even money says its a Schilling tee shirt.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Patrick Pass
    Participant

Broncos trade Ryan Clady and a 7th to the Jets for a 5th rounder.

andrew
    Participant

In third place at the Masters: Bernhard Langer. I’m trying to talk myself into rooting for him, but he was never one of my favorites. Why couldn’t Craig Stadler or Nick Faldo be in the mix instead?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Broncos trade Ryan Clady and a 7th to the Jets for a 5th rounder.

Smart move all around.  Although, I don’t know how many years Clady has left in the tank.  2-3?

Chief
    Participant

The game has passed Neely by. The answer isn’t getting more tough guys that are good in the corners but can’t skate. The elite teams have guys who can score, skate and grind. You don’t start with the grinders. If Neely’s calling the shots, and god forbid brings Millbury in, they’re done. You can already see the beat guys setting up the story, talking about leadership and grit – not skill on defense or scoring ability. A Shawn Thornton type is not the answer.

Bingo on this.  I hope the game hasn’t passed Neely by, but it sure seems possible.

As for the beat guys?  You’re exactly right.  Last week they were trying to run Pastrnak out of town.   It’s like they havent watched Chicago/Wash/TB play at all.  All they can think of is LA and ANH, who are the anomalies.  They have guys who can skate and happen to be big and able to bang.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  Chief.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Bingo on this.  I hope the game hasn’t passed Neely by, but it sure seems possible. As for the beat guys?  You’re exactly right.  Last week they were trying to run Pastrnak out of town.   It’s like they havent watched Chicago/Wash/TB play at all.  All they can think of is LA and ANH, who are the anomalies.  They have guys who can skate and happen to be big and able to bang.

Spooner too, saying he’s not good enough defensively to play center, and not strong enough on the boards to play wing. Spooner, Pastrnak, Krug, Colin Miller, Senyshyn – that’s where the league is going. Last year it was Campbell, Paille, Kelly who were too slow to play in the “new” NHL. Now players like that are the answer? No.

They weren’t mediocre this year because the skill guys weren’t tough enough. They sucked because Chara and Seidenberg can’t skate with anyone anymore and Krug and McQuaid can’t carry the defense. Did they miss the character and swagger Lucic brought? Yes. But Krejci dragged him around, and when Pastrnak is older than 19 he’ll give them more than Lucic ever did.

Chief
    Participant

Exactly

Patrick Pass
    Participant

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Agnes…..AGNES….take a memo for the Twitter.

Hacksaw
    Participant

<iframe id=”twitter-widget-0″ class=”twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered” style=”position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; width: 500px; height: 897.8125px; padding: 0px; border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;” title=”Twitter Tweet” frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen=”true” data-tweet-id=”718906853317476353″></iframe><script src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” async=”” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Tell me Gronk how much tail do you get?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Gronk, was your Mormon wife ever banging her trainer on your desk?  No? Have I told you I grew up with Sandy Koufax?

Patrick Pass
    Participant

Suns up 23 with 7 minutes left. That’s going to put the Celts back at #3 in the lottery with 2 games to go for Suns, 3 for Nets.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Madeline, in Coeur d’Alene you’re on with Ron Grabowski…..

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Straight up, what do we think of James Young?

Humphrey
    Participant

Been a long time since I watched a game from Atlanta…forgot what a bush league operation that is….especially the PA announcer.

Plus the Celtics played a hideous final 15 minutes.

Patrick Pass
    Participant

Been a long time since I watched a game from Atlanta…forgot what a bush league operation that is….especially the PA announcer. Plus the Celtics played a hideous final 15 minutes.

Has to be among the worst sports major cities in the country

Yahtzee
    Participant

Been a long time since I watched a game from Atlanta…forgot what a bush league operation that is….especially the PA announcer. Plus the Celtics played a hideous final 15 minutes.

Has to be among the worst sports major cities in the country

What do you put below it? Tampa? Jacksonville? Miami? (Hmmm . . . a theme?) Houston? DC but only because it’s a Redskins town?

CornerBlitz
    Participant

Atlanta is the worst.
    Bruins have to sweep Neely along with Claude if they want to develop the young prospects. The Seguin trade just was a dagger for this team going forward, plus it showed young talented offensive players that their game wasn’t valued. Huge mistake by the organization by again not reading the tea leaves and seeing where the league is trending just like after the lockout when O’Connell misread the market and inexplicably had to scramble to keep players.
    I can’t type to explain fully but real organizational change has to
    take place.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Well, noted hockey savant Dan Shaughnessy has determined that Claude needs to go.

CornerBlitz
    Participant

Fighting Sioux makes me happy.

Quinnipiac can suck John Dennis’s shriveled manhood.

Lefty

Bingo on this. I hope the game hasn’t passed Neely by, but it sure seems possible. As for the beat guys? You’re exactly right. Last week they were trying to run Pastrnak out of town. It’s like they havent watched Chicago/Wash/TB play at all. All they can think of is LA and ANH, who are the anomalies. They have guys who can skate and happen to be big and able to bang.

Spooner too, saying he’s not good enough defensively to play center, and not strong enough on the boards to play wing. Spooner, Pastrnak, Krug, Colin Miller, Senyshyn – that’s where the league is going. Last year it was Campbell, Paille, Kelly who were too slow to play in the “new” NHL. Now players like that are the answer? No. They weren’t mediocre this year because the skill guys weren’t tough enough. They sucked because Chara and Seidenberg can’t skate with anyone anymore and Krug and McQuaid can’t carry the defense. Did they miss the character and swagger Lucic brought? Yes. But Krejci dragged him around, and when Pastrnak is older than 19 he’ll give them more than Lucic ever did.

Newsletter?

Lefty

I think it is too early to say what Sweeney is like after one draft.  He didn’t get Hanifan, but we should wait to see if the three #1’s turn into something before we conclude he’s bad.  I thought Beleskey had a decent year here.  That was a good pick up.  Hayes didn’t pan out.  But, that transaction was more about dumping Reily Smith’s contract than Hayes.   On the other hand, the stank of Zach Rinaldo runs deep.  I am not sure how much input Neely has, but my gut tells me a move like Rinaldo was a Neely move, not a Sweeney move.

This team needs speed and defense.  You should have seen the Ottawa forwards spinning the Bruins’ defense around today.  And that has happened pretty much all year.  Chara is done, Seidenberg isn’t far behind him, Kevan Miller has regressed significantly and Tory Krug I like a LOT, but he’s just not a top four defenseman in the NHL.  McQuaid is nice filler, but after his concussions and other injuries, he’s just not that rock solid “tough” D man they planned for him to be.

Anyone who is saying they need more “toughness” or anything like it is part of the same group of idiots who thought the Red Sox needed more “powah hittahs” and didn’t need to worry about pitching and defense.

Oh, and if Shaughnessy thinks Claude should be gone, that means they should give him a five year extension.  Unfortunately, if that douchebag is saying that, it is only because someone int the organization fed it to him.  Which is not a good sign.

Lefty

Lastly, Joe Haggerty is a fat engorged tick.   He couldn’t button his shirt for the awards thing today, and must have had a team of weightlifters help him button his sport coat.  That thing was audibly straining to stay shut the whole time he was out there.  When he turned around, you could clearly see four rows to tortured stress marks where the coat was straining to stay closed.

There’s nothing wrong with being a fat fuck.  But at least dress like a normal person and don’t insist on dressing two sizes too small.

“No, I really am a 46 slim!”

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar