Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/11/2020 – 5/17/2020 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Humphrey
    Participant

Shitty way to start another shitty week- Frank Costanza’s no longer with us.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Surprised that he was only in 26 episodes

Hacksaw
    Participant

I think Gary Payton died last night.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Hacksaw.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Richard Seymour in the Pats Hall of Fame. Parcells will have to wait another year.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Richard Seymour in the Pats Hall of Fame. Parcells will have to wait another year.

On a day…

Participant

“Hey Mom,” I’d have said. “I interviewed Dr. Fauci yesterday.” She’d have loved it. She never needed to be entertained. Miss you, Mom.

Mommy King was reading the right column if that’s true.

chicowalker
    Participant

Mom, the interview is right before the section where I *rerun* a story about someone farting too much on a plane! *Mom dies*

With the caveat that I don’t intend for this to ever come to pass..IF I am ever caught in flagrante by my better half, you’re damn right I’ll be deploying the Earl Thomas “this stuff happens, bro”. I will spare her a request for her prayers. I’m a moron, not a monster.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Perhaps someone could attach a ball gag to King’s COVID-19 N-95 mask (which probably was stolen from the mailbox of a vulnerable health-care worker).

I’m curious who decides the Pats Hall finalists. In other words, how many more years are we going to deal with Parcells as an option? How many waves of diminishing returns opponents will Tuna have to face before there are two Belichick-era players that Parcells can beat, and who will be those two beatable players?

Participant

I’m curious who decides the Pats Hall finalists. In other words, how many more years are we going to deal with Parcells as an option? How many waves of diminishing returns opponents will Tuna have to face before there are two Belichick-era players that Parcells can beat, and who will be those two beatable players?

I have a feeling the folks in the pressbox are going to whine that the fan vote should only count as a 1/3 or something foolish going forward.

chicowalker
    Participant

Do they release the vote totals? Whoever finishes third any given year should either be dropped from the ballot or at least pushed off for 5 years.  There are going to be so many people coming up with multiple rings that to waste a slot on Bubbledick would only go towards satisfying boomer sportswriters circle jerking

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by chicowalker.
    Lebron
    Participant

I guess the Rams are crying about the Thursday nighter as the Patriots have a game that Sunday against the Chargers and will stay there obviously and the poor Rams have a road game that Sunday and have to travel all the way from … Glendale?  We always knew the salary cap would destroy them but their overall softness tore them apart quicker than the cap.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

That no one else was interested?

As star QBs swap teams, Eli Mannings’s retirement as a career Giant means something

Lebron
    Participant

The ’88 Cup clincher was on this morning, watched a period and a half.  Of course remembered guys like Bourque and Neely but Christ some of the guys they had out there were a blast from the past.  Randy Burridge, Greg Hawgood, Allen Pederson.  Bruce Shoebottom.  Stunned that Middleton was still on the team, had zero recollection of that.  A Gord Kluzak sighting too.

Lebron
    Participant

Forgot that run of coaches in the ’80s – Cheevers to Sinden to Goring to O’Reilly to Milbury.  Goring played like what 1 season in Boston then straight to head coach?

Lebron
    Participant

O’Reilly looked miserable behind the bench, like he’d rather be getting a root canal.  He came back the following season though.  They were in Games 1 and 2 but lost both, were switching Moog to Lemelin back to Moog.  Maybe that was more common back then rather than sticking with 1 goalie unless he got shelled.  Moog played Game 1 and lost 2-1, Lemelin was in net for Games 2 and 3.

Participant

For the left hander.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I do not understand how Steve Buckley ended up at the Athletic.  He’s still churning out shitty content that fits not at all with the rest of the site’s model.  He is the only thing wrong with the entire site.  Today was a bullshit “they’re sticking it to Parcells” column.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Quota hire.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Quota hire.

Would folks have preferred Reimer?

jforb
    Participant

I occasionally think that’s interesting enough to read and start to click before seeing that it’s Buck and stop myself. I can’t see myself doing that with Reimer, so yes.

jforb
    Participant

Read the comments on his article, 4:1 sounding like us

Major Intangibles
    Participant

That year? 2063. :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Do you recommend subscribing to The Athletic overall?

Lefty

Do you recommend subscribing to The Athletic overall?

I find it to be very hit or miss.  Some really good stuff, some crap.   The hockey coverage is good and the football coverage is ok.  But, in the absence of any good local sports section,  I keep it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar