Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/11/2020 – 5/17/2020 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Random Pats Bills game on ESPN from 2009 right now.

Coma
    Participant

Patriots-Bills from 2009 is on ESPN right now. Gruden has called Matt Light “Todd Lyght” about 5 times on replays. Lyght retired from the NFL in 2002.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

“That’s what separates New England! Do you double Moss? Do you double Galloway?”

Double… Galloway? Whaaaaaat?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Clank Watson with the big drop,  then two redeeming TDs. Where’s Ironhead?

Participant

Sure thing Dan.

It was announced Monday that Richard Seymour won the fan vote to gain admittance to the Patriot Hall of Fame. This means Bill Parcells is still out. Embarrassing. The Krafts circumvented the fan vote/popularity contest and inducted Billy Sullivan and Gil Santos independently. Will they ever do the right thing for Parcells?

BrianInLA
    Participant
    Humphrey
    Participant

I usually hate Boston Globe comments, but I have to give credit to the fellow/lady who posted this under the story about Kraft auctioning off his SB 51 ring:

“The high bidder? Arthur Blank!”

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Sure thing Dan.

It was announced Monday that Richard Seymour won the fan vote to gain admittance to the Patriot Hall of Fame. This means Bill Parcells is still out. Embarrassing. The Krafts circumvented the fan vote/popularity contest and inducted Billy Sullivan and Gil Santos independently. Will they ever do the right thing for Parcells?

Which action would you like to see most/least? Parcells being elected to the Pats HOF or the Red Sox retiring #25? Discuss.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    GusChiggins
    Participant

I love how people try to tear Belichick down by saying he only won with Brady. Umm it is unprecedented to have a nearly 2 decade run together. A lot of that is because Belichick’s ability to coach Brady and get him to remain at that level.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Not that it matters to their legacies, but it’d be highly amusing if both Brady and the Pats had a good season this year, like Conference Championship game good. Everyone’s waiting for one or both to fail to say “See, they weren’t that good afterall!”

Big Fat O
    Participant

I can’t blame Kraft one bit for not letting Parcells in. Instead of preparing his team for a SB he’s negotiating with the Jets. He can’t wait a few weeks?

Only reason the media liked a Parcells was he filled the notebooks.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I can’t blame Kraft one bit for not letting Parcells in. Instead of preparing his team for a SB he’s negotiating with the Jets. He can’t wait a few weeks?

Only reason the media liked a Parcells was he filled the notebooks.

Ex-Fiancee who slept with best man night before wedding not elected to Ex-Girlfriend Hall of Fame

Lebron
    Participant

The Parcells stuff is absurd.  He was here 4 years.  .500 record.  1 Soupey appearance.  Whoop dee damn do.  Tom Flores and George Seifert each won 2 Super Bowls and they don’t get NFL HOF consideration.  Parcells’s biggest impact on the team is leaving in the fashion that he did.  He was a crybaby bitch about the whole thing.  He was always a public crybaby when he didn’t get his way.  Cutting short his contract by a year and then basically addressing it each and every week.  Calling Terry Glenn ‘she’ was real class.  He’s not the guy I wanted so I’m going to refer to him as a girl! Yuck yuck yuck.  You’re too funny coach!  Never mind the Soupeys the best part of Kraft hiring Belichick was when he gave Belichick everything Parcells wanted.

Lebron
    Participant

One could shit on Fairbanks I suppose as well for negotiating a contract with another employer while still employed by the Patriots and on the verge of making a potential deep playoff run.  Likely weren’t beating those Steelers but still the team imploded with that mess.  Doors blown off in Miami to close the season without Fairbanks then he comes back for the playoff game as a lame duck where they get their doors blown off at home to the Oilers.  Sadder part was he did nothing with that Colorado program, might have actually left it in worse shape than when he took over.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Forgot some of the Fairbanks mess, granted I was 9 at the time.  I remember he was mad about the Hannah/Gray contracts, promised they would get redone then got made to look foolish by the Sullivans.  But the coup de grace was the extension for Stingley, they had it all agreed upon and ready to sign when he suffered his injury, and the Sullivans pulled it back.  Not sure I knew that.  Also it wasn’t just the negotiating a contract with Colorado, it came out in discovery when the Patriots sued him that he was also recruiting while he was the Patriots coach.  Forgot the court stuff and that the Patriots were actually successful in getting an injunction preventing him from leaving but then were swayed by a buyout from CU boosters.

7-26 at Colorado.  Three seasons.  3-8, 1-10, 3-8.  His predecessor’s worst season was 6-5. Jesus that’s bad.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Parcells is, in a way, part of the Fairbanks coaching tree.

Fairbanks gave Ray Perkins his first NFL coaching job as the Pats’ WRs coach (1973-77); after a year as OC in San Diego, Perkins goes to the Giants (1979) and gives Parcells his first NFL gig as LB coach. He quits it (of course) and IIRC goes back to the Air Force Academy. But then another member of the Fairbanks tree, Ron Erhardt, since 1979 the HC in New England, hires Parcells as the Pats’ LB coach in 1980. He spends a year here before heading down to rejoin Perkins, this time as DC.

Interestingly, yet another former Fairbanks assistant, Red Miller, had Bill Belichick on his staff in 1978 in Denver. Perkins hired him the next year for the Giants. But while BB will speak volumes about Marchibroda and Forzano, his earlier coaches, he seldom talks about either Miller or Perkins.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

One last Fairbanks-era note … when Ray Perkins was hired away by the Chargers to be their offensive coordinator, he was replaced as WR coach by Raymond Berry, who lasted into the Erhardt era, was fired by Meyer, then brought back as HC in mid-1984 by the Sullivans.

I’m sure Joe Gill remembers all this pre-Hugh-Millen stuff, too. :lol:

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

No one to blow after a big dunk in a game where your team loses by 20 makes things difficult in Bristol I guess.

“Some nights, Scott Van Pelt doesn’t know if he’ll have enough content to get through his show. Even as sports remain shuttered, “SportsCenter” carries on.”

Lefty

No one to blow after a big dunk in a game where your team loses by 20 makes things difficult in Bristol I guess.

“Some nights, Scott Van Pelt doesn’t know if he’ll have enough content to get through his show. Even as sports remain shuttered, “SportsCenter” carries on.”

“SportsCenter” hasn’t been about sports content in about 25 years.    If someone didn’t tell them there were no games going on, I am not sure ESPN would notice.

jforb
    Participant

My alarm clock crapped out so I haven’t turned on a radio in a couple weeks now, but espn radio at night was only tangentially sports related for some time before that.

Mark
    Participant

I do not understand how Steve Buckley ended up at the Athletic. He’s still churning out shitty content that fits not at all with the rest of the site’s model. He is the only thing wrong with the entire site. Today was a bullshit “they’re sticking it to Parcells” column.

They hired Sean Leahy, formerly of the Herald, as an editor at Athletic Boston. That’s how you get stuck paying for Buckley when you thought you were paying to get away from him.

Lebron
    Participant

That Berry hire was an odd one.  I think he had been out of football for all of ’82 and ’83.  And of course the circumstances where Meyer fires Rust following something like a 44-24 loss to the Dolphins, Pat Sullivan says you don’t have the authority to fire anyone and in fact you’re fired and brings in Berry to be HC and also brings back Rust.  You’d never see something like that today, hiring a guy midseason out of football for 2+ years.  And he didn’t have head coaching experience either, or even coordinator experience.  WR/QB coach.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

I cancelled my Athletic subscription after the first year was up and told them it was because they hired Buckley. He was exactly what I was trying to get away from by subscribing. Eventually I resubscribed when they sent me another 40% deal but purposefully avoid him.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I cancelled my Athletic subscription after the first year was up and told them it was because they hired Buckley. He was exactly what I was trying to get away from by subscribing. Eventually I resubscribed when they sent me another 40% deal but purposefully avoid him.

I didn’t realize it’s only $5/month. I may do it – once there’s something to read about.

jforb
    Participant

They’re giving away lots of 30 day subscriptions, message me (or probably anyone else here with a subscription) if you want a code.

I like a lot of the longer form stuff and the former athletes talking about either the real physical or mental skills, barely read the local beat writers.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar