Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/11/2020 – 5/17/2020 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

That Berry hire was an odd one. I think he had been out of football for all of ’82 and ’83. And of course the circumstances where Meyer fires Rust following something like a 44-24 loss to the Dolphins, Pat Sullivan says you don’t have the authority to fire anyone and in fact you’re fired and brings in Berry to be HC and also brings back Rust. You’d never see something like that today, hiring a guy midseason out of football for 2+ years. And he didn’t have head coaching experience either, or even coordinator experience. WR/QB coach.

For some reason, Berry, a Texan (and an NFL all-time great WR with the Colts) with no roots in New England, hung around here after Erhardt and he got fired in 1982. He worked in private business but it would not have surprised me if the Sullivans hadn’t reached out to him as kind of a “shadow” coach when they hired Ron Meyer out of SMU. They had dipped into the Southwest Conference for Fairbanks in 1973, but Meyer was a different kind of guy. Fairbanks was a serious, all-business kind of guy. Meyer was a brash, flashy guy who, it soon became clear, was not going to be a successful coach in the pros.

Story:

My mother was the seventh of ten girls in her family. (Long story.) One of my her oldest sisters was living in retirement in Norfolk, MA, in the 1980s and she was famous in our family for going out for every meal: not four-star restaurants, for God’s sake, but places like Mickey D’s for lunch, or to her son’s and daughter-in-law’s for dinner. But every morning she got coffee and breakfast at some roadside diner on Route 1 near “Sullivan Stadium,” and it happened to be where Berry would have breakfast with his staff. And my aunt and Berry got to be on a first-name basis. Which was a real kick for her, because of all her sisters my aunt loved sports. (She claimed to have dated Frank Crosetti of the Yankees when she was in her 20s.) But kudos to Berry, an obsessed but idiosyncratic kind of guy, for treating her with respect while he was trying to be the head coach of an NFL team. He’d sit down and engage her in conversation over their morning coffee, and made her feel ten feet tall.

8 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Actually Fairbanks came out of the Big 8.  Meyer was a prime candidate to jump to the pros at that point, was riding off the Pony Express year in ’81 and he probably knew the hammer was going to drop on the program as they had been on probation a bunch of times and were about to get nailed again and then again after that which finally resulted in the death penalty.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Reminds me of Larry Bird met some older lady in a hotel lobby early in his career, in Denver I think, and would make it a point each trip to meet with her.

Berry always reminded me of a Walpole Joe/Jimy Williams type.  I remember Grogan told a story about a Monday nighter in Miami in ’86 I think and there was a crucial 4th down play.  Patriots call time and Grogan goes to the sideline and asks Berry what he wants to do, Berry’s response was “I want to win.”  Grogan replied puzzled “um, OK” and back to the huddle.  They converted and ending up winning the game, clinching the division.

Looks like Eason started that game and Grogan finished it.  Not sure what happened there.  Eason played the following game, which was the playoff game in Denver.  Patriots took the lead, Broncos got the lead back, I think the Patriots forced a punt where Irving Fryar fair caught it inside the 5, and Eason took a safety to end it in nutcrushing fashion.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Parcells is, in a way, part of the Fairbanks coaching tree.

Fairbanks gave Ray Perkins his first NFL coaching job as the Pats’ WRs coach (1973-77); after a year as OC in San Diego, Perkins goes to the Giants (1979) and gives Parcells his first NFL gig as LB coach. He quits it (of course) and IIRC goes back to the Air Force Academy. But then another member of the Fairbanks tree, Ron Erhardt, since 1979 the HC in New England, hires Parcells as the Pats’ LB coach in 1980. He spends a year here before heading down to rejoin Perkins, this time as DC.

Interestingly, yet another former Fairbanks assistant, Red Miller, had Bill Belichick on his staff in 1978 in Denver. Perkins hired him the next year for the Giants. But while BB will speak volumes about Marchibroda and Forzano, his earlier coaches, he seldom talks about either Miller or Perkins.

Parcells was at the Air Force for one season, 1978. 3-8 record.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Can’t quote Humphrey’s post (thanks, WordPress), but Parcells’ Wiki page says he spent 1979 out of football working for a land-development company in Colorado. Which makes sense, given that Parcells likely quit as LB coach of the Giants relatively late in the off-season and pro and college staffs were probably already set.

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

Case in point re: The Athletic, there’s an article today about Brandon Browner that was well done imo.  The Athletic is the closest thing to the SI of my youth in terms of putting some of these longer form in-depth profiles together.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I had forgotten just what Browner did to get tossed in the old stony lonesome so I did a quick google search. I found  This from SI a few months ago. I’m going to assume that what ever the Althetic came up with must be better. It reads like a 7th grade biography report. I’d guess 85% is from Wikipedia and the other 15% from the 1st page of a google search.

BrianInLA
    Participant

I may have told this story back then but the season Browner was on the Pats I ran into his cousin working security at the local dispensary. I went in wearing a Pats tshirt and he started up a conversation with me and was a really cool guy. We talked every time I went in there during the season and from the stories he told about Brandon it made me really root for the guy. He was probably my favorite defensive Pats player that year in spite of the media and all of the “bad” PI calls. I think he deserves more credit for the Butler int.

Had a pretty good career for being undrafted.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

Resilient player too.  Went to Canada to play when he couldn’t play in the NFL.  And as noted, he positioned Butler and prepared him for that play.  Butler still made the play obviously but Browner had a huge role in setting it up.

jforb
    Participant

He did a pretty good job of dragging the other receiver out of the way and keeping him from picking Butler off.

I’m still bothered by the people blaming Seattle. Pats had to play it perfectly and they did.

Lebron
    Participant

Blake Snell saying he’s not interested in playing for a reduced salary, and of course the ‘we need sportz!’ people assailing him for being greedy and making baseball players/athletes look bad.  Of course the complainers are working from home, but god damn it that athlete needs to get out of the safety of his home and entertain me!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Is the NFL going to need to make some sort of proposal to the players union at some point to get the season started or is the expectation that the players will just show up when told?

James Harrison says Tomlin gave him an envelope after a hit that took out a Browns receiver.

Lebron
    Participant

My guess is Snell types for example are outliers.  These guys want to get paid something, supposedly love what they do as well.  And the large majority of these guys need the paychecks.  I’m sure the thought is business as usual in the NFL.  Only way there will be things to really negotiate is if the season gets postponed or cancelled.  Most states will be ‘open’ by the time camp comes around.  If the expected next wave happens, then shit will change I would guess.

Lebron
    Participant

Funny, nary a mention of the Harrison story on ESPN.  My guess would be if it was Belichick handed me an envelope they’d break it across all platforms.

They do however have an article from useless as tits on a bull Dan Graziano “What Happened to the Cam Newton Market?  Why He’s Still Available”  Here’s my column:  A Cam Newton Market isn’t an actual thing.  He’s still available because he sucks.  The end.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

Funny, nary a mention of the Harrison story on ESPN. My guess would be if it was Belichick handed me an envelope they’d break it across all platforms.

They do however have an article from useless as tits on a bull Dan Graziano “What Happened to the Cam Newton Market? Why He’s Still Available” Here’s my column: A Cam Newton Market isn’t an actual thing. He’s still available because he sucks. The end.

Is that the same ESPN where Scott Van Pelt was lamenting not having enough material for SportsCenter? The lack of live sports and sports news makes it tough, but ignoring some stories adds to the degree of difficulty.

As for Cam Newton, there really aren’t that many options for him, as a lot of teams are set at the QB position. Miami, Cincinnati,  and the Chargers all drafted QBs high, so Newton would be looking at being Kurt Warner on the Giants: A placeholder until the top draft pick is ready. The Patriots don’t have room for his salary unless they make some roster moves and his asking price comes down. Washington and Chicago might be his best options. Washington would be benching Dwayne Haskins and the Bears would have to move on from Trubisky. So that’s Newton’s market: a few teams where he would be a one year starter and a couple others where the teams might gamble on their current QBs or try Newton. And signing him would also be a gamble because of his injury issues.

jforb
    Participant

Reinforcing my comment about perfect play, Schatz happened to tweet this a little while ago, talking about the Butler play. Guy estimates an incomplete pass there was about a 5% swing and Seattle was still 82% to win.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Looks like Father Mara has his work cut out for him.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Looks like Father Mara has his work cut out for him.

How’s that?

GusChiggins
    Participant

Their 2019 first round pick has a warrant out for him on armed robbery charges.

I can no longer quote post. And lost a post as a result. An insightful one at that.

Yahtzee
    Participant

That’s a shame.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

TMZ reports Giants CB Deandre Baker and Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar have been “accused of armed robbery” and had warrants issued for their arrest.

The gossip site reports Baker is facing four charges of armed robbery and four charges of aggravated assault with a firearm following two alleged incidents in Miramar, Fla. It is the same for Dunbar, minus the assault charges. Baker is alleged to have “whipped out a semi-automatic firearm” before he and Dunbar “began to rob party guests, taking watches and other valuables at the direction of Baker.” Baker is also alleged to have asked a third man to shoot someone. No shooting took place, however. The duo allegedly departed with “$7,000 in cash and valuable watches including an $18,000 Rolex watch, a $25,000 Hublot and a pricey Audemars Piguet timepiece.” More details should emerge soon. The Giants have said they are aware of the situation.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/teams/nyg/new-york-giants

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

With two starting CBs taking themselves out of the player pool, the happiest person at this development has to be Logan Ryan’s agent.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

All the big name celebs eat there apparently…..

I spy Former Boston Bruin Bry Berard @TableBoston

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar