Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/11/2020 – 5/17/2020 Weekly Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Lebron
    Participant

BREAKING: NFL owners will vote next week on a resolution that would improve a team’s draft position if it hires a person of color as head coach or general manager, per sources.

I hope to God this happens, league will self destruct quicker than I had imagined.  Can’t wait for some team to hire someone just to move up but the guy just shows up and others actually coach or make decisions.  I’m sure that wouldn’t happen in that league.

This thing is batshit

Under the plan, a team would improve its third-round pick by 10 spots for hiring a minority candidate as general manger (or equivalent-level position) and six spots for hiring a minority candidate as head coach, according to NFL.com, which first reported on the proposal. The draft boosts could stack, allowing a team to move up 16 spots altogether.

Retaining minority coaches and general managers would be rewarded as well. According to NFL.com, a team would move up five spots in the fourth round if its coach or general manager was entering their third year on the job. A quarterback coach hire would earn a fourth-round compensatory pick if they are retained for one year.

Teams would also receive draft compensation for losing minority candidates to other teams, according to the report. A minority candidate leaving to become a head coach or general manager would be worth a third-round compensatory pick, while a coordinator hire would garner a fifth-round pick for the former team.

That’s beyond insane

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

This is hella dumb. And I say that as the only known minority on the board.

Coma
    Participant

If Peter King didn’t play some role, even a small one, in the creation of that policy, I’d be shocked. It’s too ridiculous for him not to be involved.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Lebron
    Participant

You are incentivized not simply to hire people but to hold on to them even if they stink.  Figurehead some guy at GM and move up 10 spots in the 3rd round

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

If you have the right guy shopping for the groceries, you could really clean up. Ozzie Newsome might have won six Super Bowls with advantageous draft positions. On the the other hand, the rule may not have helped a GM like Bobby Grier in the draft.

Hacksaw
    Participant

The rule comes across even more racist. Why are they not getting a first round pick!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Just let people kneel if you’re that concerned about your image.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    BrianInLA
    Participant

Ya I’m not sure that’s entirely legal. Or smart.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Feejis would know better but I don’t see how you can give a competitive advantage to a team based on a persons race, color, etc. What if the guy isn’t “minority enough”?  Will DNA tests be required so that someone can prove their heritage? “Sorry Falcons. The new guy is only 3% African American. We need at least 10% to qualify”.

jforb
    Participant

So does the team with the top pick end up in the middle of the second round?

If they insist on some nonsense, wouldn’t more cap space be better than an extra pick?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Feejis would know better but I don’t see how you can give a competitive advantage to a team based on a persons race, color, etc. What if the guy isn’t “minority enough”? Will DNA tests be required so that someone can prove their heritage? “Sorry Falcons. The new guy is only 3% African American. We need at least 10% to qualify”.

Where does Ron Rivera go in the racial draft?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Would Tiger Woods be a 5 tool player? Maybe you need to be gay and female for that?

Coma
    Participant

What if a team hires a white coach or GM, but their significant other is a person of color? That’s got to be worth moving up a few spots in the 5th round, at least.

Also, how would it work with trades? Let’s say the Texans hire a black GM and their third round pick is bumped up 10 spots. They then trade that pick to Philadelphia, who does not employ a minority as head coach or GM. Why should the Eagles get to use that 10 spot bump up? They weren’t the team that earned that draft pick. It seems like the “Spirit of the Rules” crowd would have a problem with that.

Lebron
    Participant

There’s a slew of  “and Liz Warren wouldn’t?” jokes down the road

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So MLB issued guidelines last night in the event games are played in 2020.

One them, evidently, is No Spitting.

Good luck with that!

Humphrey
    Participant

Could not have told you Lawrence Tierney was in that movie. And Livia Soprano too!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

And Joe West (of course). And Doug “God” Harvey as well IIRC.

Lebron
    Participant

Finished the Bulls doc with my kids.  Jesus They could have done that in a half hour

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar