Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/13 – 5/19/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 190 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 191 total)
  • Author

NASCL
    Participant

Did you hear about Doris Day?

jforb
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

Amazing what happens when the team that owned you last year (Tampa Bay), and the one that has owned you for years (Washington) get knocked out by someone else.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Participant

“My last picture for Warners was Romance on the High Seas. It was Doris Day‘s first picture; that was before she became a virgin. ” Oscar Levant 

Participant

Weird?  You don’t know the half of  it – back me up here Suzy.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Odell Beckham Jr. has spent about a day in Cleveland since being traded from the Giants to the Browns. That would be one day in Cleveland out of 61 since the trade.

Free country. Seems weird.

Participant

The one thing that always held Roger back Peter, was where he went to school…..

. It may be true that a graduate of Harvard or Williams or Cal is likely to get an interview for a job more readily than a grad of Ohio University (me) or Ball State (Jason Whitlock) or the University of Dayton (Dan Patrick) … or even Cedarville University (DeMaurice Smith) or Washington & Jefferson (Roger Goodell)

Humphrey
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

Amazing what happens when the team that owned you last year (Tampa Bay), and the one that has owned you for years (Washington) get knocked out by someone else.

Being 67 years old and of very very sound memory, I can tell you that even the biggest Bruin haters didn’t take a shit on the 70 and 72 titles because they didn’t have to face the Habs.

Participant

Ahole take of the day:

Being 67 years old and of very very sound memory, I can tell you that even the biggest Bruin haters didn’t take a shit on the 70 and 72 titles because they didn’t have to face the Habs.

Lord Douchepont thought it would be a good idea to pull Rask after 2 periods yesterday afternoon. :lol: He’s been with the Globe since ’73 Folks!

Humphrey
    Participant

Dupont also floated a playoff idea that was so off the wall that even Peter King would think it sucked.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Truer words were never spoken:

I’ve got the maturity of a 12-year-old

Guess who?

GusChiggins
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

Craig, did the Caps not knock out the Pens last year after losing to them the previous two seasons in the playoffs? It’s like he knows nothing about sports.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Guess who?

Hmmm, which inept (I’ve got the maturity…”), self-involved, cunty writer could that be? :pk:

Coma
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

Craig, did the Caps not knock out the Pens last year after losing to them the previous two seasons in the playoffs? It’s like he knows nothing about sports.

Why even write that? Is the league going to engrave “Did not play the teams that owned them” in addition to the players names on the Stanley cup?

This observation may be completely off base because I don’t listen to EEI or 98.5 now, but I remember one thing that added to 2011 Stanley Cup experience was that the hosts were into the playoff run. The fans who called were excited and the hosts played that up. They weren’t dumping on the team, saying they were lucky to have missed playing Team X or predicting doom in the future because players wouldn’t be around in the future.

I listened to WFAN for sports talk in the 90s and, even though I dislike NY teams, there were the same positive feelings from the hosts and callers (well, except for Jerome) around the Rangers win in ’94 and the Yankees in ’96. Granted, in all three of those situations, the eventual champion hadn’t won in a while, so there were “long-suffering” fans waiting to finally see a title. I can see looking for new angles if a team continues to be a championship contender, but from everything I read about Boston sports talk radio now, it’s almost a negative to have a successful team.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Guess who?

Hmmm, which inept (I’ve got the maturity…”), self-involved, cunty writer could that be? :pk:

Not him, think closer to home but not hyper-local.

chicowalker
    Participant

Do people give the 86 Celtics grief that they beat the coked up Rockets instead of the Lakers?  The 85 Bears beat the..well, coked up Patriots instead of the one team they lost to earlier in the season.

6 users thanked author for this post.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I like sports to be fun. I enjoy watching the competition and seeing what might happen next. The fact Craig runs a site dedicated to the Boston sports scene and writes that blows my mind. I mean the bruins are two wins away from the finals and it’s lucky you are playing two teams that have been eliminated. I can’t believe I haven’t signed up already.

Lebron
    Participant

So other teams do the local team a supposed favor by knocking out the teams that ‘owned’ them, and you shit on them for doing what they then should be doing?

Lebron
    Participant

Last week, I went to my first Montclair (N.J.) High School softball game since Mary Beth King played 15 years ago. I was greeted at Fortunato Field, the same field where the Mounties have played winning softball for years, with walkup music for the Montclair High batters.

Pete would be aghast at club baseball, those 10 year old kids wear eye black!?!?  And he’s such a terrible writer.  What does ‘the same field where the Mounties have played winning softball for years’ have to do with anything, namely his disdain for walkup music?

jforb
    Participant

What was the point of that story anyway, he never explained why he went to see the softball game.

Feejis
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

When was the last time they played the Caps in the postseason? 2012. The year after they won the Cup and the year before they went to the Finals again.

Definitely good to get that playoff monkey off their backs though.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

So other teams do the local team a supposed favor by knocking out the teams that ‘owned’ them, and you shit on them for doing what they then should be doing?

I’m pretty sure the Jets did the Steelers a pretty big favor by knocking out the Pats back in 2010.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Dupont also floated a playoff idea that was so off the wall that even Peter King would think it sucked.

He also led off his story with a timely Eric Heiden reference.

Suzy
    Participant

Ahole take of the day:

I don’t think he knows what amazing means.

Lebron
    Participant

What was the point of that story anyway, he never explained why he went to see the softball game.

Just Pete being the fucking weirdo creep that he is.  More than likely he needed a shot of ‘don’t you know who I am?’ that day and took the train in from Manhattan, where he lives.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Oh yes, and Dupont is in a Texas-death-match, barn-burner, down-to-the-wire who-can-use-a-phrase-more contest with Shank which I shall nickname “Forever .500s” versus “Tomato Cans”.

If only Peter May was still around to make it a three-way featuring El Jefe.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the Jets did the Steelers a pretty big favor by knocking out the Pats back in 2010.

Or the Jaguars defeating the Broncos in the divisional round in ’96.  It’s the playoffs, christ look at the NCAA tournament and how many supposed giants fall making the path supposedly easier for the eventual champion.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar