Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/13 – 5/19/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 190 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)
  • Author

Feejis
    Participant

As a kid in the Bay State League having your name included in one of Frank’s previews or game stories was a big deal.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Maxi-Frank Herron

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like Pioli quit in Atlanta, might be looking to move north.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Maxi-Frank Herron

The Young CS, having endured some truly putrid Patriot teams as a boy (the Mike Taliaferro/end of the AFL era), was captivated by the 1974 Pats, Fairbanks’ second year at the helm, and energized by CFL refugee Mini-Mack Herron. OK, I have to cheat and go to Pro-Football-Ref to get it right, but they started the year like a house on fire and beat a bunch of contending teams before running out of steam and finishing 7 and 7. I remember them beating the Vikings on a last-second TD to TE Bob Windsor, who shredded his knee in the process and was lost for the year. It was Plunkett’s (and Vataha’s) fourth year; Cunningham, Hannah and Stingley’s second; and Steve Nelson’s rookie season. They finished at .500 for the first time since 1966 — so that’s seven full years of suck. Sadly it was Plunkett’s last good year as a Pat as well.

EDIT: They started the year 6-1 and beat defending Soupey champ Miami, defending NFC champ Minnesota, the LA Rams, who had made the NFC playoffs in 1973, and (of course) the Jets, who sucked at the time but refused to admit it.  Unfortunately, the Pats lost six of their last seven games and then struggled in 1975 as well. :-(

1974 New England Patriots from Pro-Football-Ref

4 users thanked author for this post.

BrianInLA
    Participant

Todd Gurley already did more in this game than he did in the super bowl. 

9 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Gurley went to high school in North Carolina, so that’s his connection to the area. I wonder if any members of the Carolina media or fans were bent out of shape that the team wasn’t using a former Hurricane (or even Whaler) to fire up the crowd pregame. Maybe that’s exclusively a Boston thing.

Yahtzee
    Participant

20 minutes

Lefty

Gurley went to high school in North Carolina, so that’s his connection to the area. I wonder if any members of the Carolina media or fans were bent out of shape that the team wasn’t using a former Hurricane (or even Whaler) to fire up the crowd pregame. Maybe that’s exclusively a Boston thing.

They probably wanted a NASCAR driver

Yahtzee
    Participant

Turn out the lights.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Dominant

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Would they have home series over Sharks?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Yup, Bruins have home ice no matter who they face.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpmv_zOa0k

Suzy
    Participant

This is so great. What a year.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

On to the Stanley Cup Finals for the Bruins. Or, as Greg Bedard likes to think of it, at least 4 more opportunities to bench Pastrnak.

Humphrey
    Participant

As a kid in the Bay State League having your name included in one of Frank’s previews or game stories was a big deal.

Which school?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Could be the first city since 1935/36 Detroit* to win 3 chamioahips in a year. They also did baseball, football and hockey.

*1969/70 New York has the jets, Mets and knicks but F’ them.

Feejis
    Participant

Which school?

The capital of the old board of course.

Feejis
    Participant

Dominant

5-1, 3-0, 4-0 scores in clinching games.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Could be the first city since 1935/36 Detroit* to win 3 chamioahips in a year. They also did baseball, football and hockey.

*1969/70 New York has the jets, Mets and knicks but F’ them.

Except I don’t think the NY thing counts because all 3 teams weren’t title-holders at the same time. I think the Chiefs were SB champs when the Knicks won in ’70.

NASCL
    Participant

Eff New York.  They basically have two teams in every league, essentially doubling their chances.

On to the Stanley Cup Finals for the Bruins. Or, as Greg Bedard likes to think of it, at least 4 more opportunities to bench Pastrnak.

In fairness to Craig, if the Hurricanes played better and the Bruins played worse, they might not have won this series. Or if they swapped rosters, the Bruins might not have won this series. Hell, if the Canes scored more goals than the Bruins, the Bruins might not have won this series. You gotta admit, Craig’s got a point.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Eff New York. They basically have two teams in every league, essentially doubling their chances.

And they still haven’t done it. All those Yankee titles and they never managed a three-fer? It’s mostly because the Knicks are woefully overrated as  a historical franchise. They haven’t won shit.

The Giants, too, to some extent. They only won four championships before the Super Bowl era, which was about 45 years in duration. Only one after the 1930’s (1956). A New York franchise with all its advantages in a league with a handful of teams should be better than that.

Claude45
    Participant

:blink:

What company would trust him working from home? As someone who works from home in my house its a tight ship always clean and the kid is in school before 7:30. If the connection is down Im pretty much letting everyone know contact me via cellphone. You can get me for going to Chipotle 10 minutes longer than I should or going to the gym other than that work has to get done.

Also currently we have a member of our staff that has can work from home a couple days a week, we gave them something new to their workload. They pushed back and said “Its tough to prioritize the new task…. (then some political backtalk)” our boss replies, “Ok you will have to work in the office until you can prioritize this item in your workload.”

The staff member figured it out quick.

I had a job where it was a mix of working from home and part of the job was supporting the finance team.  I was more responsive working from home. If you emailed me an issue, the response was instant. I didn’t want the impression of slacking at home or look like the lazy knucklehead. Email me when I was in my cube at the office and didn’t want to deal with the person or issue? Well, a nice walk around the office or going out to grab coffee was in order.

4 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

Bruins poised to win the Cup.  Kraft hearing today canceled.

Condolences to John Henry.

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar