Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/14 "Oh Noes…Don't Poke LeBron" Daily Thread

This topic contains 88 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Nashua Dad 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #124034

    a.paul
    Participant

    Boston media can’t decide whether the Celtics played great and should be proud of themselves or if it’s only one game and OMIGOD LEBRON. Some are doing both, naturally.

    #124035

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    So Lebron will probably score 43 in Game 2, but clearly the C’s are capable of winning games against the Cavs.  I have so many offseason fake trades queued up.

    #124036

    InThisTown
    Participant

    So Lebron will probably score 43 in Game 2, but clearly the C’s are capable of winning games against the Cavs. I have so many offseason fake trades queued up.

    The only guy I’m up for moving at this point is Rozier I guess because he’s likely at his peak value and won’t be as good elsewhere. I could be convinced on Kyrie.

    #124037

    chicowalker
    Participant

    What’s the return for Rozier?  Non-lottery first?

    #124038

    InThisTown
    Participant

    What’s the return for Rozier? Non-lottery first?

    If that’s the case I’d just keep him.

    #124039

    chicowalker
    Participant

    I’m asking, what’s your guess?  He’s a FA next year I believe, that would mitigate it.

    #124040

    InThisTown
    Participant

    I’m asking, what’s your guess? He’s a FA next year I believe, that would mitigate it.

    He’s an RFA, but I’d expect his market to be big. I know Danny doesn’t let people walk, so maybe they hold onto him until the break depending on how Kyrie’s knee is. I’d guess a top 12ish pick potential plus a guy with a couple more years of first contract control maybe?

    #124041

    chicowalker
    Participant

    That’s a good option, though not striking when the iron’s hot.  If they feel good enough about Kyrie’s knee to trade Rozier, it probably means that Rozier is only playing 15 mpg or so.

    #124042

    RedSeat
    Participant

    Who wants to take the first stab at 2018-19 roster? I have a hard time seeing another major shake-up but you never know what Ainge will do.

    Under contract: Irving, Horford, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Rozier, Morris, Theis, Ojeleye, Yabusele, Nader

    RFA: Smart, Gibson

    UFA: Morris, Baynes, Larkin, Monroe

     

    Short of a deal for Davis, I don’t want to touch the top 5. I love watching this team and part of me wants to see them keep the top 8 or 9 under contract, re-sign Smart and Baynes, add serviceable bodies at 1 and 5, and PTT. But I’m guessing Danny has different (better) ideas.

    #124043

    chicowalker
    Participant

    Lottery is tomorrow too.  Ayton/Bomba!

    #124044

    middlebury03.5
    Participant

    Pete Schrager on NFLN annoys the shit out of me, based on appearance. Best way to describe it is constipated gay face.

    #124045

    Beaker
    Participant

    #124046

    InThisTown
    Participant

    The biggest question for me is what Jaylen’s ceiling is. No player in his 21 year old season other than Rashard Lewis (who was in his third year) has shot with such efficiency and high a volume from 3. Is it 7ish time All Star? 2nd/3rd all league guy?

    #124047

    Hacksaw
    Participant

    Boston media can’t decide whether the Celtics played great and should be proud of themselves or if it’s only one game and OMIGOD LEBRON. Some are doing both, naturally.

    No matter what Fenway Sports Management wins.

    #124048

    Feejis
    Participant

    So Lebron will probably score 43 in Game 2, but clearly the C’s are capable of winning games against the Cavs. I have so many offseason fake trades queued up.

    The only guy I’m up for moving at this point is Rozier I guess because he’s likely at his peak value and won’t be as good elsewhere. I could be convinced on Kyrie.

    Guessing everyone is out on Leonard?

    #124049

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    I think they could get a top 8 pick for Rozier. Rozier and the SAC pick (or Lakers pick if they strike gold tomorrow) gets you an all-star.

    I wouldn’t want to move Kyrie unless Ainge predicts that he’ll only play in roughly 50% of games going forward. He’s a top 10 player in the NBA.

    I would trade one of Brown or Tatum to get Anthony Davis, but I doubt N.O. trades him. Not sure there’s anyone else even remotely available, even Leonard, that I would trade those guys for. Nobody is trading Durant, Curry, Lebron, Harden or even Towns.  Brown for Porzingis would be an interesting swap, but with Porzingis’ injuries I’m not sure I would do it for Boston.

    #124050

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    The biggest question for me is what Jaylen’s ceiling is. No player in his 21 year old season other than Rashard Lewis (who was in his third year) has shot with such efficiency and high a volume from 3. Is it 7ish time All Star? 2nd/3rd all league guy?

    And he’s arguably the 5th best player on the 2018-2019 roster.

    #124051

    Feejis
    Participant

    Stupid question that came to mind while Rozier was still out there in garbage time:

    I know they have a short bench but how many players are on their active roster? Do they not have anyone else that could’ve been out there? Bird? Allen? I know Larkin is hurt.

    #124052

    chicowalker
    Participant

    Yeah, no thanks on leonard unless he can be had for Rozier/MaMo/sac pick  Brown/Tatum untouchable unless for Davis, that’s it as far as I’m concerned

    #124053

    02062
    Participant

    Will I be able to buy weed or bet a 10 team parlay first in Massachusetts?

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court acted Monday to bust Nevada’s monopoly on legal sports betting, allowing more states to get in on the action and reap the tax benefits.
    #124054

    Hacksaw
    Participant

    Will I be able to buy weed or bet a 10 team parlay first in Massachusetts?

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court acted Monday to bust Nevada’s monopoly on legal sports betting, allowing more states to get in on the action and reap the tax benefits.

    I thought Nicky Santoro was supposed to make sure this didn’t happen.

    #124055

    02062
    Participant

    Is ‘Lil Jerry now working north of the border?

    CLAREMONT, N.H. (AP) — Police are investigating the death of a man at a parking lot outside a Chinese buffet.

    #124056

    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

    Lottery is tomorrow too. Ayton/Bomba!

    Interesting lottery in terms of Philly/Boston. 96% chance of Philly getting a decent (#10 or so) pick from the Lakers, 2.9% chance the Celtics get a great pick, 1.1% chance the Sixers get the #1 pick.

    #124057

    Unrelated events, teams and eras have one thing in common! Oh no!

    #124058

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    Lottery is tomorrow too. Ayton/Bomba!

    Interesting lottery in terms of Philly/Boston. 96% chance of Philly getting a decent (#10 or so) pick from the Lakers, 2.9% chance the Celtics get a great pick, 1.1% chance the Sixers get the #1 pick.

    I count at least 11 guys in the draft who are going to be really good, and its pretty flat. Other than Ayton and Bagley, I think the next 9 are pretty equal. History will almost definitely prove me wrong as it always does, but I think this is an awesome draft.

    #124059

    chicowalker
    Participant

    Is ‘Lil Jerry now working north of the border? CLAREMONT, N.H. (AP) — Police are investigating the death of a man at a parking lot outside a Chinese buffet.

    My family insists on going to this mother’s day buffet every year, and looking around that room yesterday, I could do some Costanza/Andrea Doria math about how many bodies were found in the parking lot later :blink:

    #124060

    chicowalker
    Participant

    Lottery is tomorrow too. Ayton/Bomba!

    Interesting lottery in terms of Philly/Boston. 96% chance of Philly getting a decent (#10 or so) pick from the Lakers, 2.9% chance the Celtics get a great pick, 1.1% chance the Sixers get the #1 pick.

    I count at least 11 guys in the draft who are going to be really good, and its pretty flat. Other than Ayton and Bagley, I think the next 9 are pretty equal. History will almost definitely prove me wrong as it always does, but I think this is an awesome draft.

    As a Friar fan he drove me apeshit, and rooting for him would initially be tough, but Brunson at 27? Especially if they trade Rozier/Larkin signs elsewhere

    #124061

    So in the extremely remote chance the Pelicans would ship Davis (and why on earth would they?), what’s an actual, reasonable offer that’s still palatable to the Celtics?

    #124062

    Lebron
    Participant

    Or maybe it was more like the Celtics pulverizing the Lakers in Game 6 of the ’08 Finals.  Shut the fuck up old man.

    #124063

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    Brunson seems like a good player to me, but my guess is that Stevens would prefer someone bigger.

    On Davis, my guess is Brown / Rozier / Horford / draft pick. I don’t blame people for thinking that is too much for the C’s, but that is at least what it would take. Leaves the Cs with:

    Irving / Hayward / Tatum / Davis / (Baynes or Morris or Theis or Smart or Ojeleye ) . That team is probably the favorite to win the championship. Also, Davis is fucking 25 years old.

    #124066

    GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

    Will I be able to buy weed or bet a 10 team parlay first in Massachusetts?

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court acted Monday to bust Nevada’s monopoly on legal sports betting, allowing more states to get in on the action and reap the tax benefits.

    Hopefully, Congress will pass something so every state treasurer and AG won’t have to add their two cents making sure they have some say in things, but the pro leagues are already angling to get a ‘fee’ out of it in the name of keeping the games clean.

    Come back, Regular Brian.

    My agenda is truth.

    #124067

    Lebron
    Participant

    Pete is all class.  Does a piece on Matt Millen, who is going through heavy chemo and needs a heart transplant, makes this comment about his career move from TV to the Lions

    But he got an offer to become president and GM of the woebegone Lions in 2001 that he couldn’t refuse. Maybe he should have.

    Nice.  Not looking good for the guy making it beyond this year but let’s do a little rearview mirror fingerwag on a career choice that any person who likes a challenge likely would have accepted.  He’s also amazed at ballpark food, an Italian restaurant that serves, get this, Italian beer, and wants you to give credit where credit is due on the release of the North Korean prisoners.

    #124068

    There’s no plausible way to get Davis without it feeling like passing a kidney stone. I didn’t see before how they could do it without losing both Brown and Tatum, which to me is a nonstarter. But Rozier’s emergence made me think there could be something more palatable,  like the trade Calla suggested.

    I just really want to see Davis vs. Embiid multiple times a year.

    #124069

    Major Intangibles
    Participant

    If the Commonwealth were to actually allow betting on sports, the Board is really at a disadvantage not having a dean of sports gambling anymore.  :-(

    Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

    #124070

    a.paul
    Participant

    Just when you think he can’t get more…

     

    …he does.

     

    #124071

    InThisTown
    Participant

    I’m still not sure I want any part of Davis’ long term health. If it’s Brown and Horford I’d still probably do it. My preference is to win with their young guys even if the long term title outlook may be less. I’ve seen plenty of championships, I’m good with enjoying it at this point. (Football excepted, of course)

    #124072

    Hacksaw
    Participant

    Pete is all class. Does a piece on Matt Millen, who is going through heavy chemo and needs a heart transplant, makes this comment about his career move from TV to the Lions

    But he got an offer to become president and GM of the woebegone Lions in 2001 that he couldn’t refuse. Maybe he should have.

    Nice. Not looking good for the guy making it beyond this year but let’s do a little rearview mirror fingerwag on a career choice that any person who likes a challenge likely would have accepted. He’s also amazed at ballpark food, an Italian restaurant that serves, get this, Italian beer, and wants you to give credit where credit is due on the release of the North Korean prisoners.

    Did he mention the time Matt called John Morton a fagola.

    #124073

    Callahardfoul
    Participant

    I’m still not sure I want any part of Davis’ long term health. If it’s Brown and Horford I’d still probably do it. My preference is to win with their young guys even if the long term title outlook may be less. I’ve seen plenty of championships, I’m good with enjoying it at this point. (Football excepted, of course)

    This is a pretty good point, since I do not hate the Warriors anyway. If the Warriors continue to dominate and win while playing entertaining ball, then being patient with the C’s is more palatable. But if Lebron goes to Houston with Carmelo, I’ll be looking every 3 seconds to see who Anthony Davis is following on twitter.

    #124074

    a.paul
    Participant

    Is LeBron going to gradually be less effective or is he going to fall off a cliff fairly suddenly, anyone have thoughts (way more people here that know way more about basketball than I do).

     

     

    #124075

    NASCL
    Participant

    #124077

    And when team president Rod Wood immediately says the franchise backs Patricia “1,000 percent,” what does that say to women who would root for the team? Wood should have said the team would do an exhaustive investigation into the story…

    This story deserves to be known. Not to ruin Patricia’s career by any means, but to simply say this should be a part of the Matt Patricia story, and he deserves to be able to coach because of the disposition of the case.

    More classic Fatty. Tries to appear middle-ground and reasoned, but all the while advocating a path that’s the worst possible for Patricia and his family. Why should this be part of the Patricia story? So are you saying teabagging the trainer and getting PEDs sent to your wife should be part of Peyton’s story?

    #124078

    NASCL
    Participant

    Death, taxes and Bill Delahunt getting a MA sports gaming license.

    #124079

    chicowalker
    Participant

    You think there’s a chance Carmelo turns down his player option? It’s like 28mil.  I can’t see the Rockets giving him more than vet minimum.

    #124080

    I can’t even process Fatty’s thinking:

    Not to ruin Patricia’s career by any means, but…

    Like this is some fucking justification for what he’s about to write next. He’s so fucking free and easy with everybody else’s lives and reputation.  Just makes me wish he’d get wrongly accused of something highly embarrassing, damaging and hurtful to his family  so we blithely say, “Not to ruin your career by any means, but that really should be part of your story for now and forever.”

    #124081

    GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

    If anybody cares, Boston likely is losing its PGA Tour stop.

    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-set-to-unveil-a-drastically-altered-schedule?mbid=social_facebook

    Come back, Regular Brian.

    My agenda is truth.

    #124082

    Lebron
    Participant

    I also saw Pete gave some shout out to Phil Savage, the former Browns GM who was running the Senior Bowl or some such and got canned.  Shame on the Senior Bowl.  Savage of course was the guy that gave Pete access to the Browns draft in ’07 and of course would answer Pete’s calls thereafter no later than the second ring.  He’s so fucking superficial.

    #124083

    Danny Duberstein
    Participant

    How great would it be tomorrow night if the Lakers ended up with the 2nd or 3rd pick, Automatically sending it to Boston?  It’s under a 3% chance, but it would be amazing.

    #124084

    Big Fat O
    Participant

    I can’t even process Fatty’s thinking:

    Not to ruin Patricia’s career by any means, but…

    Like this is some fucking justification for what he’s about to write next. He’s so fucking free and easy with everybody else’s lives and reputation. Just makes me wish he’d get wrongly accused of something highly embarrassing, damaging and hurtful to his family so we blithely say, “Not to ruin your career by any means, but that really should be part of your story for now and forever.”

    It’s really him wanting to know since he is the moral compass for the nation.

    Thank god no one takes him serious.

    #124085

    middlebury03.5
    Participant

    If anybody cares, Boston likely is losing its PGA Tour stop.

    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-set-to-unveil-a-drastically-altered-schedule?mbid=social_facebook

    Think it is more likely that it turns into an every other or every few, rotating with with NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia for the three playoff events.

    #124086

    NASCL
    Participant

    Marge Kidder, one of the greats, Danny.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar