Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/2 Daily Thread: Waiting on Game 3

This topic contains 31 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  a.paul 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Chief
    Participant

The Athletic is everything that sports reporting should be.  Interesting topics, good writers, no agenda, no click bait/hot takes.  Just solid sports journalism with stories of interest from reporters you want to read.  I may never visit bostonglobe.com ever again.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Chief.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Fatty did a 32 teams, 32 off-seasons hot-take-a-rama this morning. The whole Pats paragraph – Baker Mayfield. Not one word about trades/draft.

:wall:

On a related note, why don’t people understand BB’s plan for a Mayfield visit was seeking intel and maybe fucking with people, never planning on trading up?

Lefty

To me, the two noteworthy things about the Howe article suggesting the whole Baker Mayfield/Pats thing are:

Supposedly, this really happened because the Mayfield camp told people:

“Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels told a member of Mayfield’s camp the Pats were indeed considering that type of scenario.”

Later, the idea of making a big trade to move up is described as:

“That’d be an unprecedented decision from Bill Belichick.”

That’s the only time BB is mentioned.   Was Josh out there fronting for the Pats and just spewing shit, or was there really a desire to meet?  Did BB even know Josh was having that conversation?  Who cares if they were going to meet with Mayfield or not.

What I get from it is perhaps more fodder to fuel my increasing dislike of McDaniels….the Wickersham piece which seems to point to him as a source, the need to have special assurances of some kind given so he wouldn’t go crash and burn in Indy, his name tied to this Mayfield thing pretty directly…if you want to throw in two of the offensive players he is most closely linked to – Brady and Gronk – being bitchy this offseason….

Participant

@AlbertBreer So this can be told now,  Tuesday’s mega millions numbers were 2-7-20-55-70-01 – I was told about these earlier in the process by Bootleg’s pal Bob Crane.

Participant

Don’t kill him Perk.

“I’m here in real life,” Drake, 31, said, according toToronto Star columnist Bruce Arthur. The rapper also allegedly called Perkins a “f–king p—y.”

Big Fat O
    Participant

In a few more days the Baker story will become fact and The reason it didn’t go down was BB wouldn’t give up the extra 4 th round pick the Giants wanted.

Whats another 4th round pick that he would trade away for to move back Tony

I don’t get it Mike

chicowalker
    Participant

Google “Drake LeBron” Dozens of pictures of them hanging out.  He decides to talk shit with a guy as likely to see significant (if any) time on the court this series as me.  It’s almost as if Drake is a front running cunt afraid to truly throw in with the team he allegedly supports

InThisTown
    Participant

There’s a ton of reasons why the Patriots could have wanted to talk to Mayfield isn’t there? He slides, he goes in the division and they have to play him twice a year, or they really would have moved up to take him. There’s also the possibility that this could be a Sackless Ghol situation. All I know is they weren’t giving up two ones and two twos to move up that high. I mean, it’s an agent. Accepting what he says at face value seems silly.

jforb
    Participant

Talk to the QB about 5 receivers and you save a few visits.

+5 (8214)

Lebron
    Participant

Love the idea that the Patriots were telling a player hold on it’s gonna be a wild ride.  Because that’s what they’re known for, telling people they might trade for them, overpromising/underdelivering.  Whole shebang.

Participant

Love the idea that the Patriots were telling a player hold on it’s gonna be a wild ride. Because that’s what they’re known for, telling people they might trade for them, overpromising/underdelivering. Whole shebang.

That’s because Bill’s DESPERATE Lebron!!!!!!

Coma
    Participant

@AlbertBreer So this can be told now, Tuesday’s mega millions numbers were 2-7-20-55-70-01 – I was told about these earlier in the process by Bootleg’s pal Bob Crane.

The more I think about it, the less sense Breer’s rationale about this story makes. He and GTK were told about the Patriots possibly trading up for Mayfield and setting up a meeting with him prior to the draft, but were also told they had to keep this quiet. I can accept that. It seems kind of silly that Mayfield’s agent (I’m assuming) was acting like a gossipy teen – “I’ve got a secret. I can tell you guys, but you have to swear that you won’t tell anyone else” – but I could see that happening.

Breer and Klemko are sitting on an interesting story, but can’t report it. Mayfield is drafted on April 26th. The draft is done on the 28th. Andrew Brandt’s podcast where Mayfield’s agent reveals the Patriots angle comes out on May 1st. What were PK’s ace reporters doing in the meantime? They couldn’t have broken this story on Monday or released it the same time Brandt’s podcast came out? Breer’s going to act like he was too cool for the story and complain about people “pilfering” the details when he did nothing. How could people steal from Breer and Klemko if they didn’t tell anyone? It doesn’t occur to him that the agent probably shared his “secret” with others and they actually did something with the information?

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of Breer he had some dumbass tweet yesterday saying that the Patriots drafted Garoppolo when Brady was 36, and it certainly seemed to light a fire under him.  Yeah because before that Tom used to just throw it into cruise control and take everything for granted.  Ironically he mocks people later for seemingly not ever watching Jordan play if you think James is better.  From the guy that clearly doesn’t know a fucking thing about Tom Brady.

Participant

Good news, based on ‘Toine’s ability to pick winners in the past….

“Walker — who was drafted by the Celtics with the sixth overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft and played eight seasons in Boston — said on “First Things First” Tuesday he believes the 76ers will take down the C’s in five games.”

chicowalker
    Participant

“Another thing..” he added, pausing to swallow a country ham whole, “..who cares about three point percentage? it’s all about how many you put up.  You put up twelve or thirteen, you’re bound to hit three, right?”

Joe Haggerty is lighting a candle for that top button

I take anything Lombardi says with a grain of salt. Still,  :lol:

chicowalker
    Participant

Yahtzee
    Participant

I may not have had huge success in my career but I’ll give myself credit for being able to sneak out for a 1:00 85 degree Red Sox game to watch Mookie launch 3 home runs without anyone noticing (my absence; plenty noticed the HRs).

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Lebron
    Participant

Things I enjoy saying at the office to fans of the local teams:

(Checking sports schedule on phone) Fuck!  The Celtics aren’t playing tonight?  Shit, I thought they were.  Oh well, guess I’ll be able to fully focus on the Bruins. (Turns to the group staring at me)  Oh, hey, maybe the Rockies are playing tonight?  Well, you can always go to the bar owned by the drunk GM and chat up who they’ll take with another top 10 pick next year.  Have a great day!

Lebron
    Participant

Roma almost made that comeback down 5-2 aggregate to Henry’s squad.  Real Madrid v. Liverpool, go Ronaldo!

jforb
    Participant

Roma almost made that comeback down 5-2 aggregate to Henry’s squad. Real Madrid v. Liverpool, go Ronaldo!

That’ll be quite the cunt-off.

The own goal was fantastic.

Coma
    Participant

Speaking of Breer he had some dumbass tweet yesterday saying that the Patriots drafted Garoppolo when Brady was 36, and it certainly seemed to light a fire under him. Yeah because before that Tom used to just throw it into cruise control and take everything for granted. Ironically he mocks people later for seemingly not ever watching Jordan play if you think James is better. From the guy that clearly doesn’t know a fucking thing about Tom Brady.

This isn’t the first time that Breer has played the “A good reporter knows more than he reports” card. Are there any examples of Breer breaking a story, and then, when someone points a detail he omitted or tangent he didn’t explore, Breer explains that he was aware of that, but was focused more on getting the main news out there. He’s been in the business long enough that he should be able to point to multiple situations like this, but I can’t think of one.

Lebron
    Participant

Roma almost made that comeback down 5-2 aggregate to Henry’s squad. Real Madrid v. Liverpool, go Ronaldo!

That’ll be quite the cunt-off. The own goal was fantastic.

Just saw it, that’s awesome.  Too bad it wasn’t Pizuttie’s face.

Lefty

Pedro waving the flag before Bruins game tonight!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

:-( :-(

Speaking of Breer he had some dumbass tweet yesterday saying that the Patriots drafted Garoppolo when Brady was 36, and it certainly seemed to light a fire under him. Yeah because before that Tom used to just throw it into cruise control and take everything for granted. Ironically he mocks people later for seemingly not ever watching Jordan play if you think James is better. From the guy that clearly doesn’t know a fucking thing about Tom Brady.

This isn’t the first time that Breer has played the “A good reporter knows more than he reports” card. Are there any examples of Breer breaking a story, and then, when someone points a detail he omitted or tangent he didn’t explore, Breer explains that he was aware of that, but was focused more on getting the main news out there. He’s been in the business long enough that he should be able to point to multiple situations like this, but I can’t think of one.

I can’t name a story Breer has broken.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

There’s a ton of reasons why the Patriots could have wanted to talk to Mayfield isn’t there? He slides, he goes in the division and they have to play him twice a year, or they really would have moved up to take him. There’s also the possibility that this could be a Sackless Ghol situation. All I know is they weren’t giving up two ones and two twos to move up that high. I mean, it’s an agent. Accepting what he says at face value seems silly.

Scott Boras on the line. He says Nick Cafardo will be calling  to dispute your ridiculous position.

Yahtzee
    Participant

That’ll be quite the cunt-off.

Speaking of, I flipped on EEI a bit ago to discover what appears to be the Volin and Drellich Show.  What a couple of no talent assholes.

I apparently missed the earlier part of the show where they were joined by . . . Tomase.

They also took a call from a guy with ideas on how to fix the Knicks. One guess . . . Lebron.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Big Fat O
    Participant

If Felger or Mazz wrote fiction they would have one bestseller after another.

Things we learned today was Brady isn’t going to be B.B. bitch anymore.

Down rh dial once Stale left Rick Keffe and the Fabricator (Tomase) tried to one up the competition up the dial. The “I’ll plead the 5th” was the truth and the rest of the BS was just PR. Brady hates BB but likes to be nice.

on the flip side Powders ball team wins and no one cares.

Feejis
    Participant

That game sucked. Tampa locked them down all night.

chicowalker
    Participant

Fuck the rockets and Chris Paul particularly. Such cunty basketball

a.paul
    Participant

Volin, Drellich and Tomase…where are all the suicide bombers when you need them?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar