Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/20-5/26/2019 Discussion Thread The Waiting

This topic contains 170 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 171 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Mehta

Jets won’t be hiring a search firm/consultant for GM search like they did for the previous two hires.

However, they’ve told people that TV personality & sideline reporter Peter Schrager could be contacted for assistance on prospective candidates. His name has come up internally

I don’t how the Jets don’t compete regularly with shrewd decisions such as these.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Joel Hanrahan was horrible…Eric Gagne horrible. Both those clowns ended up with World Series rings despite spectacularly shitting the bed.

My lasting memory of Hanrahan’s time with the Red Sox:

The Spring of 2014, I’m in a Bob’s clothing store. I’m looking at the clearance rack and notice that there’s a Red Sox T-shirt in there. It’s a Hanrahan shirt with the name and number on the back. I figure it might not be a bad workout or yard work shirt, but then I see the clearance price is $25. Hanrahan was only in Boston for one season, was hurt most of it, and wasn’t a national name prior to coming to the Sox. I would have picked up the shirt for $10 or $12, but no way at $25.

I don’t remember anything Hanrahan did on the mound in Boston, but I’ll never forget a store overpricing his T-shirt after he left.

Lebron
    Participant

I remember the game he was shaking his arm, not sure if he came out but it was clear something was wrong.

He was an All Star for 2 straight seasons prior to the acquisition, but he was in Pittsburgh and he was a bullpen guy.  I knew who he was though.

Lebron
    Participant

I’d also bet anything the Jets thought they were getting the other guy on that show that was on The Real World.  I hope they hire that dumbass Brit or Irishman from Pro Football Focus.

Lebron
    Participant

Looks like the ref got injured in this Blues Sharks game

Lefty

This whole idea of having Roenick doing the clown in the stands routine during the hockey game is beyond awful.

Participant

This whole idea of having Roenick doing the clown in the stands routine during the hockey game is beyond awful.

That was brutal.

Coma
    Participant

Mehta

Jets won’t be hiring a search firm/consultant for GM search like they did for the previous two hires.

However, they’ve told people that TV personality & sideline reporter Peter Schrager could be contacted for assistance on prospective candidates. His name has come up internally

I don’t how the Jets don’t compete regularly with shrewd decisions such as these.

That’s “Noted Architect of NFL dynasties Pete Schrager,” pal. I had to look that guy up to see who he is. The Jets might as well ask Mehta or Breer who their next GM should be.

The “Let’s let Adam Gase run the whole show” approach is equally puzzling. His run in Miami was mediocre and he immediately went to the Jets job, so there wasn’t much opportunity to analyze his first HC job and address any shortcomings. It’s not like the Jets brought in someone with a proven track record, like Coughlin, Shanahan or Cowher. There’s no guarantee those guys would succeed with a new team, but at least there’d be the hope of “If they can duplicate what they did in…” when they were hired. If Gase matches his success in Miami, the Jets will be slightly below .500.

Turd Furguson
    Participant

“Gloria” is the Blues song?   Bruins in 6

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

I forgot Gase hired his father in law Joe Vitt as well as hardo Gregg Williams.  Of course Vitt and Williams hate each other from Bountygate so I’m sure that will go swimmingly.

Suzy
    Participant

“Gloria” is the Blues song? Bruins in 6

Apparently, Blues fans have been requesting that Laura Branigan sing “Gloria” live for them during the playoffs. But what with being dead and all, she can’t.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Suzy.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Now, if they used the Van Morrison/Them version, they’d have something,

2 users thanked author for this post.

A couple months ago when I first heard about the “Gloria” victory song I assumed it had to be the Van Morrison version. Laura Branigan seems more fitting for baseball.

Participant

🎶Gloria, you’re husbands name is Meathead🎶

1 user thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Bruins in 5

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Apparently, Blues fans have been requesting that Laura Branigan sing “Gloria” live for them during the playoffs. But what with being dead and all, she can’t.

“Take her off the list, then.”

Buried in a Mike Tanier article about how the Vikings are trapped by Kirk Cousins’ contract:

Cousins and his backups cost the Vikings nearly $30.9 million in cap space this year. Only the Patriots and Lions are alloting more cap space to the quarterback position.

Obviously cap figures are just snapshots, obscuring the bigger picture. Brady’s always been a bargain,  accepting far less than he could command (just look at Cousins with his bullshit fully-guaranteed contract, and the predictable havoc that contract has wrought on the Vikings). But for this particular snapshot in time, Brady’s cap figure is $27 million for 2019.

Participant

“Take her off the list, then.”

Wonder if Peter King knows about this?!

Humphrey
    Participant

A couple months ago when I first heard about the “Gloria” victory song I assumed it had to be the Van Morrison version. Laura Branigan seems more fitting for baseball.

Actually, it’s even more fitting for soccer as it’s a remake of an Italian song by Umberto Tozzi.

Humphrey
    Participant

Shank: They have Gloria, we have Paree (or used to anyway). Advantage…..

OT: Has any city in the modern era (more or less after WW2) lost more pro franchises than St. Louis? One MLB team, one NBA, one ABA (didn’t get included in the merger), TWO NFL teams.

Nick B
    Participant

Shank: They have Gloria, we have Paree (or used to anyway). Advantage…..

OT: Has any city in the modern era (more or less after WW2) lost more pro franchises than St. Louis? One MLB team, one NBA, one ABA (didn’t get included in the merger), TWO NFL teams.

LJ : Hey Craig, You know what the best part of ST Louis is?

Craig : No Larry I dont.

LJ : Leaving. ba ha ha ha

LJ : Seriously Craig, can I get my sheetcake now.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Kevin Stevens should team up with Big Jim for restaraunt/ketchup and crackhouse reviews of the gateway city.

chicowalker
    Participant

The origins of Gloria becoming the Blues’ unofficial victory song come from when a few Blues players visited a bar in South Philadelphia called Jacks NYB to watch the Wild Card game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Chicago Bears.[33][34]

6 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

And Joe Buck’s a fan – so fvck them to the moon and back.

From : I felt like a Cubs fan in 2016 or a Red Sox in 2004. I was just waiting for something to go wrong, and so when they did win it, I was thinking, “Man, this is really different.” I was thinking of my dad. I was emotional. I was thinking about watching games with my dad.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Guy up the street from me is from St. Louis and has been flying a Blues flag for weeks.  Hates the Patriots and Red Sox, the latter for of course shoving it up the Cardinals ass in 2 World Series.  I’ll enjoy another victory.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar