Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/20-5/26/2019 Discussion Thread The Waiting

This topic contains 170 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 171 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Cousin’s wife is from St. Louis. Fortunately, they live out there half the time now and haven’t returned for the summer as she’d be insufferable. Assuming she knows.

And if she’s representative of the area, they’re very underrated in the hayseed hick rankings.

jforb
    Participant

No more Oklahoma drills, how is Coach Hardo going to attract attention now?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I never knew this about the Blues (from deadspin)

St. Louis made three straight Cup Finals in their first three years of existence. This was a blessing and a curse. They were clearly the cream of the 1967 expansion crop, and beneficiaries of a playoff bracket that put the expansion teams on one side and the Original Six on the other. The Blues were no Golden Knights; some expansion team had to make the final. But those finals were brutal wake-up calls. In ‘68, ‘69, and ‘70, St. Louis was swept each and every time, twice by the Canadiens and once by the Bruins. To go to three Cup finals and fail to win a single game would be bad enough, but to make things worse, the Blues’ only real claim on history from that era is being on the wrong side of the greatest photo in hockey history. That’s the Blues for you: always in the background. In the summer of 1970, the NHL changed its playoff format to make it possible for two Original Six teams to make the final.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I heard or read someone somewhere (I know that’s terrible) say they wanted STL over SJC so we’d get a match up of Original Six teams.

Lebron
    Participant

No more Oklahoma drills, how is Coach Hardo going to attract attention now?

Or tough guy Bert, he loved that thing.

chicowalker
    Participant

So now that GoT is over the Ringer is going to close up shop, right?  Jesus Christ there isn’t a quarter-baked idea about that show they haven’t turned into 5000 words

Lebron
    Participant

So now that GoT is over the Ringer is going to close up shop, right? Jesus Christ there isn’t a quarter-baked idea about that show they haven’t turned into 5000 words

They still have stuff like the NBA Draft, with the standard headlines

THE DRAFT’S BEST POINT GUARD MIGHT NOT BE WHO YOU THINK

Participant

So now that GoT is over the Ringer is going to close up shop, right? Jesus Christ there isn’t a quarter-baked idea about that show they haven’t turned into 5000 words

Thanks to our crew for making proud since 2016 and especially this season (our best one). And thanks to for having us.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Kirk Minihane ‘granted his release’ by Entercom. This changes everything even more than the 1967 Impossible Dream Boston Red Sox! :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Coma
    Participant

I never knew this about the Blues (from deadspin)

St. Louis made three straight Cup Finals in their first three years of existence. This was a blessing and a curse. They were clearly the cream of the 1967 expansion crop, and beneficiaries of a playoff bracket that put the expansion teams on one side and the Original Six on the other. The Blues were no Golden Knights; some expansion team had to make the final. But those finals were brutal wake-up calls. In ‘68, ‘69, and ‘70, St. Louis was swept each and every time, twice by the Canadiens and once by the Bruins. To go to three Cup finals and fail to win a single game would be bad enough, but to make things worse, the Blues’ only real claim on history from that era is being on the wrong side of the greatest photo in hockey history. That’s the Blues for you: always in the background. In the summer of 1970, the NHL changed its playoff format to make it possible for two Original Six teams to make the final.

I wonder how that playoff format would be received today? Praised because an expansion team was guaranteed to get to the final or deemed unfair because only one of the Original Six could go while some brand new team got a shot instead?

On the topic of fairness, or the lack of it, the NFL shelved any potential changes to the OT rules until next year. We’ll have to sit through at least another year of people bemoaning that a league darling didn’t get just one more chance to try and win a game.

Brian
    Participant

I didn’t know this until today, but I guess Boston has won 11 championships against teams from St Louis.

Humphrey
    Participant

I didn’t know this until today, but I guess Boston has won 11 championships against teams from St Louis.

I think it’s 11 championship series and Boston has won 7. Although I can’t think of the fourth loss (1946 and 67, Sox; 1958 Celtics)

NASCL
    Participant

How dare you count the ’67 Red Sox as a loss.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I think it’s 11 championship series and Boston has won 7. Although I can’t think of the fourth loss (1946 and 67, Sox; 1958 Celtics)

It’s 7-3.  This will be the 11th matchup. Link.

Participant

How dare you count the ’67 Red Sox as a loss.

The “summer that changed everything” narrative has turned into, “well, Yawkey was thinking/going to move the team to the suburbs if ’67 didn’t happen” from some of the press.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I was going through the Globe’s 1960s archives about the Red Sox a few months ago — it was a slow day, I admit :rollseyes:  — but Yawkey was actually threatening to leave Boston/Greater Boston if he didn’t get a new stadium built with public funds. Fenway was a depressing shithole and it housed a lousy team. One time, when my father took us to a game sometime in the mid-1960s, he almost got into a fight with an obscenity-screaming drunk in our section — and we were in the lower boxes. (You could walk right up and buy box seat tickets.)

Yawkey actually was advocating that the state or city build one of those multipurpose horrors like the ones that Oakland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc., were building from the mid-1960s into the 1970s. And although he never appeared to have any discussions with cities dying for a baseball team, he did own the Seattle franchise of the Pacific Coast League until October of 1964 and that provided a convenient cudgel. Yawkey had earlier owned the minor league teams in San Francisco and Minneapolis and cut deals with the Giants and Senators to enable them to move there. At the time, in the mid-1960s, the Giants and Twins were both very successful and outdrawing the Red Sox. So old Tom was probably a little jealous.

But for some reason — and I doubt it was his love of Boston and his ballpark — Yawkey sat on his hands. (Can you sit on your hands if you bend your elbow like Yawkey always did? Asking for a friend …) That people started to notice when the 1967 team played .500 ball through July is kind of a mystery to me. Only about a third of the games were on TV; the team did very few promotions — “State of Maine Day” … “Nun’s Day” etc. Then they won ten in a row on the road in late July and things got serious.

EDIT: I think the big myth about 1967 is that it “changed everything forever.”  Yes, the days of sub-one-million yearly attendance numbers were gone. But fan support did diminish in the 1970s until the 1975 pennant, and then again in the early 1980s until the 1986 pennant. (Those Eddie Kasko and Ralph Houk teams were pretty bland.) Interestingly, the Red Sox’ last three-million-plus attendance numbers were reported for 2012 — maybe when they stopped reporting phony sellouts to keep their string going. They’ve been in the high twos since. And 1967 also created the Cult of Fenway. The old owners exploited that, although they stopped short of, “You haven’t lived unless you’ve pissed into a trough, or into a floor drain.” Powder and Friends have taken that to a new level.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

The Pats just put out the number assignments for new veterans for OTA’s. How long before one of the mediots is making a big deal about them not giving out the “dreaded number 17”?

Feejis
    Participant

The Pats just put out the number assignments for new veterans for OTA’s. How long before one of the mediots is making a big deal about them not giving out the “dreaded number 17”?

Huh? They already had a 17 on the roster.

jforb
    Participant

You’d think AAC would just give a couple accounts away to get over the line by now.

rclane
    Participant

Things I’ll never read, from the Athletic: Buckley: St. Louis has become a throw pillow in Boston’s championship trophy room (that’s not a link, either).

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Gay sportswriter uses interior decorating analogy

jforb
    Participant

Things I’ll never read, from the Athletic: Buckley: St. Louis has become a throw pillow in Boston’s championship trophy room (that’s not a link, either).

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Gay sportswriter uses interior decorating analogy

…and fails to pull it off. He’s a terrible writer.

chicowalker
    Participant

Thanks to our crew for making proud since 2016 and especially this season (our best one). And thanks to for having us.

One ringer hipster for every GoT cast member? Holy shit.

Lebron
    Participant

I still can’t believe I survived those Ralph Houk years.  Probably the perfect time for a kid to transition away from baseball yet I probably watched 150 games a year between tv and pushing my old man to take me to like 20 games a year (jesus he was a warrior).  The lead in to ’81 should have done it — mangling the Fisk contract and sending Lynn and Burleson to the Angels.  The return of Rick Miller!  Frank Tanana used to be good until they blew his arm to a million pieces!  Mark Clear, I guess!  Carney Lansford!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar