Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/20-5/26/2019 Discussion Thread The Waiting

This topic contains 170 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 171 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

There were a few suburban stadium proposals in the 50s (one in Framingham where Bose has been since the late 70s), then there was this grandiose effort perhaps more directed by the Sullivans than the Yawkeys. Didn’t know there was such a thing as a retractable roof in 1964-5.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/concepts/BostonDome_R.html

1 user thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

I still can’t believe I survived those Ralph Houk years. Probably the perfect time for a kid to transition away from baseball yet I probably watched 150 games a year between tv and pushing my old man to take me to like 20 games a year (jesus he was a warrior). The lead in to ’81 should have done it — mangling the Fisk contract and sending Lynn and Burleson to the Angels. The return of Rick Miller! Frank Tanana used to be good until they blew his arm to a million pieces! Mark Clear, I guess! Carney Lansford!

Ruining that nucleus is to me the biggest tragedy in my 55 or so years as a Sox fan. The years 79-83 should have been really good ones by keeping the aforementioned guys (plus astute moves by the front office), not the constant infighting that went on after Yawkey’s death. Imagine the Red Sox nowadays trying to portray to the public an image of being a “small market team”?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

They were also cheap as hell during that period if memory serves.  I don’t remember the free agency rules then but you basically drafted guys and they were classified as Type A or B free agents.  Red Sox could only draft Type B guys, or would only draft Type B guys.   Washed up Tony Perez was a Type B guy.

They did an OK job moving Lansford to open up 3rd for Boggs and getting a few years of Tony Armas, who my friend and I started calling ‘no mas’ around ’85 or so.  He had a great ’84 albeit striking out 150 times.  Lansford was much better suited as a DH with the A’s as he wasn’t exactly a great glove man.  They actually had some decent arms on the farm with Tudor and Ojeda and of course Clemens, Hurst and Boyd.

Participant

Highlight of ’83 was Yaz day wasn’t it?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  02062.

chicowalker
    Participant

I still can’t believe I survived those Ralph Houk years. Probably the perfect time for a kid to transition away from baseball yet I probably watched 150 games a year between tv and pushing my old man to take me to like 20 games a year (jesus he was a warrior). The lead in to ’81 should have done it — mangling the Fisk contract and sending Lynn and Burleson to the Angels. The return of Rick Miller! Frank Tanana used to be good until they blew his arm to a million pieces! Mark Clear, I guess! Carney Lansford!

Not to get too maudlin, but my dad died 36 years ago, and specific memories I’ve had with him are fading/have faded over time…but for whatever reason, if I live to be 100, I will clear as day remember a particular “Goddamit Muggsy!” after Allenson failed, yet again, to get a hit :lol:

GusChiggins
    Participant

I chuckled at Chico’s story but feel weird giving it a ‘thanks’

chicowalker
    Participant

:lol: his sense of humor dovetailed nicely with the board’s

Lebron
    Participant

Gary Allenson.  Christ.  Just the thought of Glenn Hoffman gives me seizures.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Gary Allenson. Christ. Just the thought of Glenn Hoffman gives me seizures.

Not to mention Dave Stapleton. The guy kept getting worse and worse at the plate, yet there he was at first base every day. (Of course, as a defensive replacement he could still, say, competently field a dribbler up the first base line off the bat of someone like, I dunno, Mookie Wilson. :ozzy: )

Big Fat O
    Participant

Wiggie decided to go after Chara today basically telling Dale he was on the 18th. As expected Dale was not too pleased that someone was attacking a Bruin.

Funny how the Bruins are off limits but the rest of the local teams are fair game.

chicowalker
    Participant

look at this shit- Gedman/Remy/Hoffman/Allenson/Rick Miller with 2200 PA (almost 40% of the team’s) of sub .700 OPS (Stapleton made it by a CH at .703). They still managed 89 wins

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1982.shtml

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  chicowalker.

chicowalker
    Participant

You weren’t kidding about Stapes- save for a dead cat bounce (in 71 PA :lol: ) in his SLG his 2nd to last year, he went down in AVG/OBP/SLG every year of his career

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/staplda01.shtml

Participant

How many more radio stations is Jermaine gonna fail at before someone says, “maybe this isn’t for you.”

Also, why don’t ANY of these gossipy cvnts ever ask Jermaine about this?

On October 6, 2005, an alleged sex party occurred on Lake Minnetonka with seventeen key members of the Minnesota Vikings football team; including quarterback Daunte CulpepperFred SmootMewelde MoorePat WilliamsBryant McKinnieNate BurlesonRalph BrownJermaine WigginsTroy Williamson (who was then beginning his rookie season), Travis TaylorKevin WilliamsLance JohnstoneMoe Williams, and Willie Offord.[1][2] Two houseboats were rented and some, but not all, of the players performed sexual acts in front of crew members. Prostitutes from Atlanta and Florida were flown in for the party, in order to perform the sex acts. There were at least ninety people on the two boats, and Smoot later estimated that there were 100 women present.[3] An anonymous former player of the Minnesota Vikings claimed that this is not the first time that such an incident had happened.[4] The scandal has sometimes been referred to as the Love Boat scandal after the television program, or as the Smoot Boat Scandal in the news.

chicowalker
    Participant

Imagine you’re a Florida prostitute- “ooh, boat party with NFL players! Wait- where?”

Hacksaw
    Participant

If I recall correctly there was a game against the Yankees during the Houck years, where Allenson had the game winning bunt with two out bases loaded.

Lebron
    Participant

Imagine you’re a Florida prostitute- “ooh, boat party with NFL players! Wait- where?”

I love that they imported the hookers.

We need to get some hookers.

OK, I’m sure we can find some in Minneapolis that aren’t hammered on rum and cokes scarfing down sandwich loaf and 7 layer salad.

Have you seen Fargo?

Right.  Anyone have the number for Golds in Atlanta?

3 users thanked author for this post.

chicowalker
    Participant

scarfing down sandwich loaf and 7 layer salad

Jesus christ, what a visual :lol:   I’m picturing this outside, hookers at the point style, except a lot of winter coats covering up dat azz

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  chicowalker.

Humphrey
    Participant

They actually had some decent arms on the farm with Tudor and Ojeda and of course Clemens, Hurst and Boyd.

…but for some reason Houk and/or the front office didn’t like Tudor and I don’t think they were too thrilled w/Ojeda either. They got rid of both for pennies on the dollar (you don’t trade a starting pitcher that’s any good for a DH only, which Mike Easler was) and Tudor had 2 or 3 lights out years after they traded him. Part of it might have been the since-disproven conventional wisdom that you could only have one or maybe two lefty starters pitching in Fenway.

Lebron
    Participant

If I recall correctly there was a game against the Yankees during the Houck years, where Allenson had the game winning bunt with two out bases loaded.

Rick Miller won a game at Fenway against the Yankees with a 3 run bomb, had 28 total over a 14 year career.

I can’t believe Rick fucking Miller played 130+ games in ’82.  Good lord.  Forgot they had Joe Rudi too, jesus christ they took whatever washed up pieces of garbage the Angels were offering between Tanana/Rudi/Miller in those 2 deals.  Thankfully the Angels had to take Steve Renko.

Lefty

Marc Sullivan over here would LOVE to have the lowest of any of Stapleton’s stats

Humphrey
    Participant

Highlight of ’83 was Yaz day wasn’t it?

…and without the Yaz distraction, 84 was worse and over very, very quickly (the Tigers started out 35-5).

chicowalker
    Participant

I had a program from 1983  that, ignoring Clemens/Oil Can, still proclaimed that the future of the Sox staff was

Hurst

Ojeda

Tudor

:blink:

Hacksaw
    Participant

You knew when Chuck Rainey was pitching all the nonsense was going to stop.

Lebron
    Participant

They moved Tudor likely because they had Ojeda and maybe thinking about Hurst and the lefties can’t pitch at Fenway thing was pretty well accepted.  I think they wanted a left handed bat as well with regard to acquiring Easler, who they traded to the Yankees to get a right handed bat in Baylor.  Tudor had that terrific ’85, but he was pretty average for the Pirates in ’84.  Ojeda was coming out of the pen in ’85 at one point, I think Wes Gardner and Schiraldi were supposed to be top guys in the Mets system.  Mets wanted a lefthander and again the Red Sox had Hurst and the thought was one lefty was one too many.  Ojeda was great for the Mets in ’86, afterward he wasn’t that great.

“Go Bears!”

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar