Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/20-5/26/2019 Discussion Thread The Waiting

This topic contains 170 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 171 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

Wasn’t Ojeda part of that crew on the Indians where someone died on a boat?

Lebron
    Participant

Not sure if Freudian slip works there but one of the crew was Tim Crews, who died along with Steve Olin.  I thought that’s when Ojeda cut his finger but that was in the offseason in ’88 where he cut off his fingertip with a hedge trimmer.  He was on the boat and suffered injuries.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

It always comes back to the Red Sox, Danny.

The boating accident that killed Crews and Olin — Ojeda sustained a scalp wound and other injuries — happened in 1993 on one of the lakes in or just outside Winter Haven, Fla., and occurred during the first spring when the Indians replaced the Red Sox as tenants at Chain O’Lakes Park.  I remember reading an SI article about the crash and they interviewed Ojeda, who was understandably devastated.  It’s a tenuous connection, but apart from darkness and (perhaps) alcohol being factors in the accident, I recall that Ojeda felt that, because he had trained at The Have with the Red Sox 8-10 years earlier and knew his way around, he should have been wary of the lake, the docks, the danger, etc., and could have prevented the accident. Olin was a lights-out closer on a bad Indians team, and Crews (and Ojeda) were still very well liked by the Dodgers, for whom both had pitched in 1992.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

So Nate Burleson was part of the Love Boat crew back in 2005? I like him on Good Morning Football (although he’s no Kay Adams) but I don’t think he should have anything to say if Goodell lowers the boom on Kraft.

Lebron
    Participant

Those Raptors unis are terrible

Coma
    Participant

It always comes back to the Red Sox, Danny.

The boating accident that killed Crews and Olin — Ojeda sustained a scalp wound and other injuries — happened in 1993 on one of the lakes in or just outside Winter Haven, Fla., and occurred during the first spring when the Indians replaced the Red Sox as tenants at Chain O’Lakes Park. I remember reading an SI article about the crash and they interviewed Ojeda, who was understandably devastated. It’s a tenuous connection, but apart from darkness and (perhaps) alcohol being factors in the accident, I recall that Ojeda felt that, because he had trained at The Have with the Red Sox 8-10 years earlier and knew his way around, he should have been wary of the lake, the docks, the danger, etc., and could have prevented the accident. Olin was a lights-out closer on a bad Indians team, and Crews (and Ojeda) were still very well liked by the Dodgers, for whom both had pitched in 1992.

I think I’ve told this story before, but one of the most surreal aspects of that accident was that Francesa and Russo were able to speak with one of the local authorities (I forget if it was law enforcement or the fire department) on the air the day after it happened. I get that it’s a story, but 2 guys from NY sports talk radio being able to talk with someone directly involved in the investigation is something that would never happen now. I remember the person they spoke with saying that the throttle was pushed all the way forward, which led to Russo asking “The throttle, does that have anything to do with the speed of the boat?”

1 user thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Whoa! Raptors now up 3-2. Did not expect that. I think Milwaukee has a better shot at giving the Warriors an entertaining series, but if the Raps beat ’em, they deserve it.

Lebron
    Participant

Kawhi reminds me a lot of James Worthy around the basket namely his arm extensions when he dunks.  It’s giving me acute panic attacks circa 1985 and I have no rooting interest.

Humphrey
    Participant

Those Raptors unis are terrible

Is there a worse slogan than “we the north”?

Getting back to the game, I’d bet against Van Vleet making TWO threes, let along 7.

chicowalker
    Participant

Kawhi reminds me a lot of James Worthy around the basket namely his arm extensions when he dunks. It’s giving me acute panic attacks circa 1985 and I have no rooting interest.

Thank you, it was driving me nuts.  I don’t remember Worthy’s arm ever bending

I was reading an interview with Aaron Sorkin about how he changed up “To Kill a Mockingbird” for the stage, anguishing over tinkering with an American treasure. Anyway, he goes into detail on his thought process in his flight back from meeting with the producer:

I wondered on the flight home how did Harper Lee get away with an Atticus who doesn’t change? He was the same from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. How did Horton Foote, who won an Oscar for writing the screenplay, get away with an Atticus who was the same from the beginning until the end? The answer is that Atticus isn’t the protagonist in the book and the movies. Scout is. Scout is the one who changes. She loses some of her innocence. Her flaw is that she’s young.

It’s the next part I want you to see, as all I could think afterward was that it was Peter King who complained:

As I was thinking all this, a very kind flight attendant tapped on me on the shoulder and said, “Mr. Sorkin, you’re talking out loud, pretty loud.”

:lol:

I’m trying to picture Fatty’s travel notes complaint the following Monday.

5 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

I bet Fatty talks out loud too. And he probably gets pissed at the flight attendant.

Couldn’t be more apropos that bsj10k is a day where it’s deader than Dole’s dick could it?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Can’t most (well maybe not most but a lot) of High School Freshmen figure out that Scout the the protagonist of “To Kill a Mockingbird”?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Don’t sleep on Boo Radley as the stand-in for Harper Lee herself. :lol:

Robert Duvall’s first major film role — and he doesn’t even say a word.

I bet Fatty talks out loud too. And he probably gets pissed at the flight attendant.

It’s a scene I’d love to see, the kind of skit SCTV would do if it were around today: two lesser celebrity, self-absorbed writers on a flight together and their tics. Sorkin would be obliviously monologueing on the human condition through the entire flight, forever apologizing to the patient flight attendant. Fatty, meanwhile, would be tormented by the relentless challenges to his self-entitlement, from Sorkin’s loudness to lack of flight perks to the fact the flight attendant recognized Sorkin but not him. SCTV would write it as some sort of homage to “No Exit”.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Useless fact about ‘To Kill a Mockingbird”.  Harper Lee was a good friend of Truman Capote and many folks at the time thought that he was the real author of the book.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

If there was any doubt that Aaron Rodgers gets the Stanley Roper jpg all doubt was erased last night.  Salk holding a bear was more manly.

Suzy
    Participant

I was reading an interview with Aaron Sorkin about how he changed up “To Kill a Mockingbird” for the stage, anguishing over tinkering with an American treasure. Anyway, he goes into detail on his thought process in his flight back from meeting with the producer:

I wondered on the flight home how did Harper Lee get away with an Atticus who doesn’t change? He was the same from the beginning of the book to the end of the book. How did Horton Foote, who won an Oscar for writing the screenplay, get away with an Atticus who was the same from the beginning until the end? The answer is that Atticus isn’t the protagonist in the book and the movies. Scout is. Scout is the one who changes. She loses some of her innocence. Her flaw is that she’s young.

It’s the next part I want you to see, as all I could think afterward was that it was Peter King who complained:

As I was thinking all this, a very kind flight attendant tapped on me on the shoulder and said, “Mr. Sorkin, you’re talking out loud, pretty loud.”

:lol:<noscript>:lol:</noscript>

I’m trying to picture Fatty’s travel notes complaint the following Monday.

Right, he was talking/brilliantly musing to himself so loudly that a flight attendant felt the need to tap his shoulder and bring it to his attention. Suuuuuuure. That’s a Fatty-level fabrication.

Lebron
    Participant

I fucking hate Sorkin.  Such a god damn self absorbed douchebag.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Aaron Sorkin is a Jerk/To Kill a Mockingbird note: There’s a stipulation in the Broadway contract for TKAM that no version of TKAM can be produced within X number of miles of a large city while the Broadway production was going on.  So a lot of local productions of the previous adaptation got a cease and desist order, even some who were almost about to go live with their shows. This included Marblehead Little Theatre. This got them a lot of flack, even though blamepie wise I think more fault lies with the publisher of the previous version, who were licensing productions even though this rule was known. Eventually Sorkin’s group made the offer that theatres could switch to the Sorkin version, though I’m not sure anyone took them up on the offer. Marblehead Little Theatre moved its production to Gloucester to clear the geographic clause of that rule.

3 users thanked author for this post.

“Pat on… pat off…”

chicowalker
    Participant

Sling, or don’t sling..there is no try or is that Yoda

Suzy
    Participant

If there was any doubt that Aaron Rodgers gets the Stanley Roper jpg all doubt was erased last night. Salk holding a bear was more manly.

Finally saw that. :lol: :lol:

Lefty

Sling, or don’t sling..there is no try or is that Yoda

He had five senseis in six years!  No wonder he couldn’t win the All Valley!

7 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

“Pat on… pat off…”

“If you want to keep working here son, stay off the drugs” Cleo McDowell to Prince Hakeem.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar