Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/27-6/2/2019 Memorial Day and Stanley Cup Final Weekly Thread

This topic contains 159 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Suzy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 160 total)
  • Author

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Let’s remember Peter Gammons today.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

3 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant

ESPN reporting that Bill Buckner has died.

Suzy
    Participant

ESPN reporting that Bill Buckner has died.

Saw that, wow. Had no idea he was sick. Apparently the poor guy had Lewey Body disease (like Robin Williams, did you hear?), which is just brutal. Sad news.

RIP

Lefty

Too bad about Buckner.  On of my favorites players as a kid with Dodgers, Cubs and later Sox.  They don’t get to the series in 86 without him.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

And here is Disk 2, WEEI – Boston’s New Alternative:

1. Who You Drivin’ Now? – Muthoney

2. I Believe Nothing – Alex In Chains

3. All Star – Mush Mouth

4. Runaway Train – McLean Asylum

5. Hey There Pedroia – The Pricey White Tees

6. Sweet, Sweet, Sweetness – Beetle Eat World

7. Periscope Killed the Radio Star -The Circle Kirks

8. Frank From Gloucestah – Sheet Cake

9. I’m The Nicest Person I Know – Jenny and the Krylonettes

10. don’t tell me how to fan! – lc mafia

11. Danny California – The Red Headed Chili Bastards

12. In Bill We Trust (I Guess) – Hugh Patrick Sfanbut & The Toxic Objectivity Orchestra

13. Literally Sobbing – Gabs and the Starfish

14. Interstate 95 Love Song – Futility Lou

15. Shaw’s Super Bon Bon -Soul Hiccuping

16. AIDS Beer Pose – Salkgarden (Lawnmowerfinger: Live version)

17. Dancing on the Dunes – The Gamere Fens Nesters

18. Speculate/Hyperventilate – Fictional Friction

19. Visualization Of The Space Mind Gargamel XI: Winning The Offseason – Dero Spedes

20. Low Ratings Panic Attack – Radiodotcomhead

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Major Intangibles
    Participant

WordPress! We will try and re-post Disc One.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Here’s the Memorial Day Mixtape! The theme this year is potential WEEI format changes, and the different music they would them play. It’s funny because it is true! So without further ado, (and no listening out of order)

Disc One: Country 93.7 

1. Boston – Kenny Chesney

2. I’m Alright -Jo Dee Messina

3. Chicken Fried – Zac Brown Band

4. I Hope You DIAF – Lee Ann Crespo-Womack

5. Drinking Double Shots of Crown While Sittin On the Beach How The Hell Is That A Country Song? – Joe Bob the Great

6. Save A Host (Ride A Flashboy) – Big O and Rich

7. A Boy Named Lou – Johnny Venmo

8. The Ballad of Postmaster Gerry – FlashSGT Barry Sadler

9. The Dale Went Down To Middays – Charles. Edward. Daniels.

10. Lonely ol’ Overnight (10-2 shift) – Ron Muskmelon Catamount

11. Before He Cheats (Again) – Sara Underwood

12. I’m Tellin’ You How To Fan -Sam “Ol’ Foot Locker” McBanjodick

13.,Oh Atlanta – Eddie Money with Jaromir Jagr

14. One Hour DVR Extension – Jocko Fergus & the Coonhounds

15. The Wreck of the Joey Zarbano – Gordon Lightfoot

16. I Got Ratings In Low Places – Amalgam of Suck

17. Count The Numbers (Providence) – Sheetmetal Badgers

18. Elmira – Dick Teefe and the Downward Failers

19. Havelicek Myself Back Into Rehab – Bombay John and the Spring Water Slurrerers

20. Most Messed Up – The Old 93.7’s

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

My wife heard me laughing from the other room. (I was reading the mix tape tracks.) I actually tried to explain to her about Box Score and the plovers and his Memorial Day mix tapes and his various feuds and departure from the board and then the MI parodies.

A lot was lost in the translation.

:lol:

Meanwhile, they’ve blocked off Canal Street for the pregame shows on NBCSN and NHL Network.  They look like they’re pretty far down the block, towards Haymarket.  You suppose the Bruins gave Hockey Night in Canada the prime spot, in front of Sully’s? :smile:

As for Buckner, why hardly anyone blames Schiraldi or even Bob Stanley for choking away Game 6 is a mystery to me. And shame on TomfuckingWerner and DoctorCharlesfuckingSteinberg for staging the bullshit “all is forgiven” crap on Opening Day 2008, when Buckner had already been forgiven with a Standing O when he was introduced on Opening Day 1990, during his brief, final tour with the Sox.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Though one … St. Louis capitalizes on it’s first real chance :ozzy:

chicowalker
    Participant

Wife and son convalescing at the hospital…daughter at nanas…me home alone, the most freedom I’ll have until I’m an old man. LFG Bruins!

4 users thanked author for this post.

This son of a bitch:

https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/status/1133122305696182272

Bill Buckner never should have been defined by one play https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/ via

https://twitter.com/Dan_Shaughnessy/status/791011205880115201

I can’t be the first to note that today is the 30th annniversary of Red Sox-Mets Game 6 and Bill “Behind the Bag!!!” Buckner.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

If Shank had any real feelings about Buckner he’d have written something long before Bill shuffled off this mortal coil. He’s an opportunistic POS duplicitous pond scum.

Lebron
    Participant

The Red Headed Chili Bastards is killing me.

chicowalker
    Participant

Every year, fucking amazing :lol:

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Bs got the momentum back … time to assert their will

Lebron
    Participant

I think Stanley was the closer to start the season then they brought up Schiraldi and he was pretty good.  Lost one of the ALCS games as well.

I remember being in shock and then the end of Game 7 I think it was Boggs crying in the dugout.  I felt bad for those guys.  Then there was the finger pointing I think Stanley and Gedman’s wives went at it over passed ball v wild pitch then the questioning of McNamara pulling Clemens – my guy asked out – and not having Stapleton out there because he wanted Buckner to be out there to celebrate.  Clemens held out to start ‘87 and of course Oil Can flipping out when told he wasn’t starting Game 7 didn’t exactly set a good tone for ‘87.  Ended up being sellers at the deadline moving Baylor and Henderson.  I loved that team and was glad that at least Baylor and Henderson won soon thereafter.

Flash forward 25ish years and the same thing happens to the Rangers being one strike away multiple times in a Game 6 and mentally having no chance in a Game 7.  There was never any kind of curse, it happened to different teams.  Got as close as you could get and couldn’t close it.  Mets and Cardinals didn’t give up.  Neither did the Patriots in 49 or 51 and nether did the Heat in that Spurs series.  That’s what made those comebacks great.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Save A Host (Ride A Flashboy).  Dale Went Down To Middays.  I Got Ratings In Low Places.  My god.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Nasty gash on Chara’s arm from that puck.

Feejis
    Participant

Dominated after they got their legs. Still a little too careless with the puck though.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Great win for the Bruins.

Tyler Kepner tweet:

On Sunday, the last full day of Bill Buckner’s life, 16 major leaguers struck out at least three times. Buckner played 22 seasons and never did it once

2 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

Thought Johansson not seeing Krejci on that shot that hit the post was going to come back to  bite them, but it didn’t.

Didn’t hear one announcer comment on the pretty play Kuraly made with his skate to be able to get that shot off on the game winner. Not an easy play.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Thought Johansson not seeing Krejci on that shot that hit the post was going to come back to bite them, but it didn’t.

Didn’t hear one announcer comment on the pretty play Kuraly made with his skate to be able to get that shot off on the game winner. Not an easy play.

It was so graceful.

Lefty

Thought Johansson not seeing Krejci on that shot that hit the post was going to come back to bite them, but it didn’t.

NHL network all over it, focusing on the subtlety of it.

Suzy
    Participant

If Shank had any real feelings about Buckner he’d have written something long before Bill shuffled off this mortal coil. He’s an opportunistic POS duplicitous pond scum.

Well said. Even after all these years, it’s almost shocking how Shank is completely unable to act with a semblance of dignity or class, or feel shame. He’s a complete fraud and disgusting human being.

Bruce is doing a great job calling him out on his disgraceful, hypocritical behavior regarding Buckner.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Suzy.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Suzy.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Was watching a Netflix doc yesterday about the grand-nephews of Adolf Hitler who live on Long Island. :blink:

I immediately imagined it would be worse being related to Shank. What a lowlife.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar