Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/27-6/2/2019 Memorial Day and Stanley Cup Final Weekly Thread

This topic contains 159 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Suzy 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 160 total)
  • Author

Doing a cursory search of all the times Shank defined Buckner by that one play. 1/23/12:

It was a spectacular 60 minutes of football, not decided until a kicker from Harlan, Iowa, missed a 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds left on the clock. Thank you, Billy (Buckner) Cundiff.

1 user thanked author for this post.

11/16/09:

INDIANAPOLIS – Ghastly.

This was as bad as anything the Red Sox ever did. Had it been a playoff game, it would be right up there with Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, Aaron Boone, and History Derailed in Glendale, Ariz.

And Bill Belichick played the part of Grady Little.

5/1/03:

“If the Celtics lose two more times, then Tuesday’s nightmare in Indianapolis goes down in infamy. It will simply never be forgotten. It will take its place in the New England Sports Museum Hall of Shame alongside Bill Buckner’s error and Too Many Men on the Ice.”

Coma
    Participant

I’m beginning to think that Shaughnessy might be a terrible person.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Thought Johansson not seeing Krejci on that shot that hit the post was going to come back to bite them, but it didn’t.

Didn’t hear one announcer comment on the pretty play Kuraly made with his skate to be able to get that shot off on the game winner. Not an easy play.

NHL network all over it, focusing on the subtlety of it.

The Bruins’ three critical goals last night came from players from New Jersey, New York and Ohio.  They’re really America’s Team.

If I remember correctly, one of the first things that North American hockey coaches learned from the NHL playing the Russians in those high-profile Summit Series, Canada Cups, etc., of the 1970s is the importance of soccer training — dribbling through traffic — in improving footwork in terms of maintaining puck control. I don’t think that type of training was in use before then.

10/27/18:

But if they somehow lose the 2018 World Series, Game 3 will stand forever as Boston’s baseball’s Buckner moment of the 21st century.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

What a brave columnist!

Iran/Iraq:

6 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Thought Johansson not seeing Krejci on that shot that hit the post was going to come back to bite them, but it didn’t.

Didn’t hear one announcer comment on the pretty play Kuraly made with his skate to be able to get that shot off on the game winner. Not an easy play.

I said on the reply shit you see how he controlled the puck with his skate?  That’s an amazing play.

NASCL
    Participant

Never heard of this Van Natta guy.  I initially thought he was one of the OJ Simpson murder investigators.

Participant

“I’ve often thought how good it is to get off the interstates and see Americana America.” The road less traveled with Pete King.

“I’ve often thought how good it is to get off the interstates and see Americana America.” The road less traveled with Pete King.

It’s that 1960 Steinbeck travelogue, “Travels With Fatty”.

RedSeat
    Participant

At first glance, those CHB quotes are damning enough. But add this tidbit. In two of those scenarios, the teams WON their series. And with relative ease.

In 2003, the Celtics had a 3-1 lead, then had the temerity to lose game 5 on the road, before winning easily in Game 6.

And of course in 2018, the Red Sox, went up 2-0, lost one, and then took the next two to win it all.

Not only is CHB defining Buckner by one-play, he’s shoehorning Buckner references in wherever he can. He doesn’t even wait for teams to lose. Just paints a scenario in which they MIGHT lose.

After the Celtics’ blowout win in Milwaukee, Jurassic Bob cautioned against overconfidence, reminding everyone of game 1 of the ’85 finals, as if there were a connection besides Boston winning an opening game blowout.

Unfortunately, the C’s stunk the rest of the series, so Bob comes away feeling vindicated in his “insight”.

The point is, this is what they all do. They aren’t clever or wise or insightful on their own, so they latch onto the easy and obvious and quickest to dispatch and absorb. The dumb masses eagerly lap up logical fallacies like post hoc ergo propter hoc, so Ryan can get away with saying what happened after  a blowout 34 years ago has some special significance on what will happen after a blowout today; and Shank can get away with summoning Buckner’s painful moment any time a Boston team suffers a tough loss, whether the comparison is relevant or not. And then get away with saying it was the fans who tied Buckner to one moment in time. He’s so despicable.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

Lebron
    Participant

You know what I really wanted to ask Starr that afternoon in Birmingham? You completed 14 of 24 throws in minus-46 wind chill in the Ice Bowl, against that great Dallas defense, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and a rating over 110. How? How’d you do it?

Pete’s terribleness knows no bounds.  The guy actually played in the game.  You don’t need to make things like stats and the weather and the Dallas defense part of the question, he was there.

5 users thanked author for this post.

I found this part particularly insensitive:

Then Nelson and Starr began to practice the lines he would say. This is what she and he agreed that he would try to say:

You are a strong leader
    Cherry and I are admiring you
    Because you are one of the finest men we have ever met.

Say that right now. How long does it take? I just said it. It took eight seconds. Starr, after 15 or so tries, just couldn’t do it.

Starr was trying desperately to not show the effects of his condition. To do something nice for Rodgers, without people seeing the indignity the affliction has cast on him. So what does Fatty do? Describe the indignity in great detail, treating Starr in a patronizing manner throughout, like he was a fucking child. And writes it posthumously to boot. All the while thinking it’s some great tribute.

RedSeat
    Participant

I found this part particularly insensitive:

Then Nelson and Starr began to practice the lines he would say. This is what she and he agreed that he would try to say:

You are a strong leader

Cherry and I are admiring you

Because you are one of the finest men we have ever met.

Say that right now. How long does it take? I just said it. It took eight seconds. Starr, after 15 or so tries, just couldn’t do it.

Starr was trying desperately to not show the effects of his condition. To do something nice for Rodgers, without people seeing the indignity the affliction has cast on him. So what does Fatty do? Describe the indignity in great detail, treating Starr in a patronizing manner throughout, like he was a fucking child. And posthumously to boot. All the while thinking it’s some great tribute.

That sound you just heard was Suzy flipping over her desk in rage. Just when you think he can’t be any more of an insensitive, self-aggrandizing asshole, he takes it up another notch.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

That sound you just heard was Suzy flipping over her desk in rage. Just when you think he can’t be any more of an insensitive, self-aggrandizing asshole, he takes it up another notch.

I already flipped the desk and set it on fire. :ozzy:

Fatty responding to a letter criticizing the OT proposal:

Respectfully disagree. I believe it’s a matter of fairness. Why is it that 2 percent of the time that the team winning the toss to start overtime chooses to kick off?

He’s repeated this a few times, but it’s an incredibly dumb and meaningless stat. 98% of coaches choosing to receive doesn’t mean they believe the receiving team wins 98 percent of the time. That stat’s more like 52 or 53 percent, which is enough of a percentage advantage for those coaches to choose collectively to receive. Add in the possibility to have one more possession than the opposition, and it’s a logical choice. But it’s not the surefire thing Pete imagines.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Fatty responding to a letter criticizing the OT proposal:

Respectfully disagree. I believe it’s a matter of fairness. Why is it that 2 percent of the time that the team winning the toss to start overtime chooses to kick off?

He’s repeated this a few times, but it’s an incredibly dumb and meaningless stat. 98% of coaches choosing to receive doesn’t mean they believe the receiving team wins 98 percent of the time. That stat’s more like 52 or 53 percent, which is enough of a percentage advantage for those coaches to choose collectively to receive. Add in the possibility to have one more possession than the opposition, and it’s a logical choice. But it’s not the surefire thing Pete imagines.

It’s also worth mentioning that coaches do many things which seem to give intuitive advantages, but don’t always in reality when you look at the numbers. Such as how often you should go for it on 4th down, etectera.

Human brains do intuitive shortcuts which sometimes give you the wrong answer. See the “Monty Hall Problem.”

Suzy
    Participant

I already flipped the desk and set it on fire. :ozzy:

Thank you, King. I’m speechless.

Tough call between Fatty and Shank. Two despicable, insensitive, vile cunts.

Shank is just pure, mean, rotten, garbage. Tormenting a man for 30+ years then finger-wagging upon the man’s death—holy fucking shit.

Nice work pulling up the quotes, BBTL! They deserve a wider audience.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

At first glance, those CHB quotes are damning enough. But add this tidbit. In two of those scenarios, the teams WON their series. And with relative ease.

In 2003, the Celtics had a 3-1 lead, then had the temerity to lose game 5 on the road, before winning easily in Game 6.

And of course in 2018, the Red Sox, went up 2-0, lost one, and then took the next two to win it all.

Not only is CHB defining Buckner by one-play, he’s shoehorning Buckner references in wherever he can. He doesn’t even wait for teams to lose. Just paints a scenario in which they MIGHT lose.

So well said! :wub:

Everyone should read this. Tweet it!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

You know what I really wanted to ask Starr that afternoon in Birmingham? You completed 14 of 24 throws in minus-46 wind chill in the Ice Bowl, against that great Dallas defense, with two touchdowns and no interceptions, and a rating over 110. How? How’d you do it?

Pete’s terribleness knows no bounds. The guy actually played in the game. You don’t need to make things like stats and the weather and the Dallas defense part of the question, he was there.

In the 52 years since the Ice Bowl, I’m sure no one noted the conditions and the opponent and ever asked Starr this question. A quick glance shows at least 3 biographies about Starr (including an autobiography), but I’m sure none of them touched on his performance against Dallas in ’67 and his thoughts on the game.

5 users thanked author for this post.

It’s also worth mentioning that coaches do many things which seem to give intuitive advantages, but don’t always in reality when you look at the numbers. Such as how often you should go for it on 4th down, etectera.

Human brains do intuitive shortcuts which sometimes give you the wrong answer. See the “Monty Hall Problem.”

4th-and-2 is a great example of that. All these coaches saying “Ya gotta go with the numbers” when in fact the numbers said Belichick’s decision was at worst a coin flip.

I was actually disappointed the OT rule didn’t change. I wanted to see Belichick exploit it and all the damn fools to cry foul again.

At the very least, I wanted to see Fatty explain why 98 percent of the time coaches were now choosing to kick off.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar