Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/27-6/2/2019 Memorial Day and Stanley Cup Final Weekly Thread

This topic contains 159 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Suzy 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 160 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Fairness.  Christ I’m so sick of everyone crying about everything needing to be fair because of course everything in life is completely fair.  And of course fair according to Pete.  You battle it out for 60 minutes and have a tied game.   Both teams know the rules of overtime, so any decision to ‘play for overtime’ has to factor that in during regulation.  You insert elements of randomness like a coin flip, then a team has to make a decision based upon variables such as weather or even how their defense is playing and what they feel the likelihood is that they can make a stop or at least a ‘hold’ to a field goal.   And of course the offense cannot merely go like 40 yards and kick a field goal, they have to score a touchdown to end it.  Anything like a 4th and short or field goal attempt requires a strategic decision.  Then if you kick the field goal or punt then you have to make a defensive stand yourself.   How is that not enough such that now you have to make it more ‘fair’?

It’ll be fair when the Patriots finally lose.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Is it fair that King is most likely the top paid football writer? Definitely not.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
    Participant

I’ll say it again – if you think a coin flip in OT is unfair, then you must also believe a coin flip to begin the game is unfair. The team that gets the ball first always has the chance for more possessions.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I won’t read Shank’s piece on Buckner. He doesn’t have the knowledge or skill to match Joe Posnanski’s:

JoePos on Buckner

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

“I’ve often thought how good it is to get off the interstates and see Americana America.” The road less traveled with Pete King.

On the other hand…One night, about 15 years ago, my wife and I were starting our drive back from a vacation in the Atlantic Beach area in North Carolina and decided to forgo the main highway back to I-95 and take an alternative route. One of the motivating factors was that she just got pinched for speeding, but that’s not important to the story :lol: . GPS suggested a different route that seemed pretty straightforward and didn’t add that much time to the trip, so we headed off to “Americana America.” At first, we were on a normal local state road, with a double yellow line and white lines on the shoulders. After about half an hour, that all went away and we were on a narrow, local road. We were going through these little towns with populations probably in the high 2 or low 3 digits. No street lights and most of the buildings near the road looked rundown. At one point, we were approaching barriers with a road closed sign and thought we might have to turn around and go back through Wrong Turn/Chainsaw Massacre territory. As we got closer, we saw there was an access road around the construction site. Eventually, we came to a larger highway that connected to 95. The strange thing was, this was a modern, well lit, 3 lane highway with almost no other cars on it. It was much nicer than Route 17, which we were planning to take.

So, yeah, getting off the interstate to see the country sounds nice, but make sure you have an idea what to expect before you do it.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

She got caught speeding and decided to go through small town Carolinas?

I tried blindly following the gps once while driving from central SC to Charlotte. Instead of the main road or even a minor road, it directed me straight up a redneck’s driveway.

Coma
    Participant

I just scrolled through FMIA. I won’t post it, but I felt bad for Bart Starr in that picture with PK. King’s got such a punchable face.

Another reason he incites physical violence it lines like this:

• This sign west of Chambersburg at a business selling home energy systems: “Solar System For Sale.” I wondered which one. Mars, perhaps?

Mars is it’s own solar system? There’s a joke there, but it was way over PK’s head.

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah, small town cops in southern towns sure do love them some northern license plates.  What a moron.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Chris Berman on Sox rain delay radio is LJ-esque (complete with Eddie Andelman talk).

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Doing a cursory search of all the times Shank defined Buckner by that one play. 1/23/12:

It was a spectacular 60 minutes of football, not decided until a kicker from Harlan, Iowa, missed a 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds left on the clock. Thank you, Billy (Buckner) Cundiff.

My first thought after reading that unsurprisingly nauseating Shank “HoF” piece, was how long would it take to scan the Globe archives (never mind ESPN air checks) before uncovering Shank doing the exact thing that he now has such great umbrage and sorrow about unspecified “others” and their uncivil transgressions.

Looks like under 10 seconds.

The man knows no shame.

Suzy
    Participant

I found this part particularly insensitive:

Then Nelson and Starr began to practice the lines he would say. This is what she and he agreed that he would try to say:

You are a strong leader

Cherry and I are admiring you

Because you are one of the finest men we have ever met.

Say that right now. How long does it take? I just said it. It took eight seconds. Starr, after 15 or so tries, just couldn’t do it.

Starr was trying desperately to not show the effects of his condition. To do something nice for Rodgers, without people seeing the indignity the affliction has cast on him. So what does Fatty do? Describe the indignity in great detail, treating Starr in a patronizing manner throughout, like he was a fucking child. And writes it posthumously to boot. All the while thinking it’s some great tribute.

You put it so well as always. There are no bounds to his lack of compassion and basic humanity.

Nick B
    Participant

I’ll say it again – if you think a coin flip in OT is unfair, then you must also believe a coin flip to begin the game is unfair. The team that gets the ball first always has the chance for more possessions.

Is it fair that the Patriots have both Tom Brady and Bill Belichick? ;-)

Participant

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I honestly don’t know why “get rid of the OT coin flip” isn’t a more prominent suggestion. Make it always go to the home team for first possession. Or the road team. Or the team who was last holding the ball. Whatever. So long as it’s known in advance it can inform the coach as to how OT will start, and affect decisions. That would seem to get a lot of the “Oh, cruel randomness!” complaints out of the way in a much simpler form than any of the proposed solutions.

Feejis
    Participant

I honestly don’t know why “get rid of the OT coin flip” isn’t a more prominent suggestion. Make it always go to the home team for first possession. Or the road team. Or the team who was last holding the ball. Whatever. So long as it’s known in advance it can inform the coach as to how OT will start, and affect decisions. That would seem to get a lot of the “Oh, cruel randomness!” complaints out of the way in a much simpler form than any of the proposed solutions.

They don’t really think it’s the thing that’s unfair though. They want it to be like baseball where each team is “guaranteed” the same number of opportunities. So giving it to the home team wouldn’t be fair either.

I’ve already forgotten what the proposal was. Was it just each team gets an offensive possession,  regardless of whatever the first team scores, right? Then sudden death after the second team’s possession if the score is still tied?

jforb
    Participant

Chris Berman on Sox rain delay radio is LJ-esque (complete with Eddie Andelman talk).

I hear tarp’s coming on and immediately click away so I missed that but is possible for him to not sound like a creep? That mentor/mentee segment with the high school girl was something. So how long have you two been together?

Participant

I hear tarp’s coming on and immediately click away so I missed that but is possible for him to not sound like a creep? That mentor/mentee segment with the high school girl was something. So how long have you two been together?

It sounded like his choppers were gonna fly out of his mouth at any moment.  Call Margie Egan over there in Brighton and see if you can borrow here poligrip.

Claude45
    Participant

The being a professional athlete = human trafficking/slave take has to be the worst take ever. It’s dumb. It’s pompous. It’s fake woke. Stupid on so many levels and so insensitive/insulting. Just an ignorant, look at me and full of itself take. Among the dozens of reasons that the analogy doesn’t hold up is the basic fact that no one is forced to be a professional athlete. They can turn it down at any time. Argument over. If you want to be a pro athlete, you deal with the rules. You get the upside and the downside of that job. Just like any other job but with much higher monetary rewards than almost all other jobs.

If you don’t, say no thank you and get a regular job. It’s your right. Just shut up with human trafficking because of the draft. Morons.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Claude45.
    6 users thanked author for this post.

Yahtzee
    Participant
    MINDY KALING

Mindy Kaling’s new book slated for summer 2020 release

Not sure I can wait that long.

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    MINDY KALING

Mindy Kaling’s new book slated for summer 2020 release

Not sure I can wait that long.

Don’t do anything drastic. There are hotlines for that.

Suzy
    Participant

You don’t need cartilage in your knee to be an unnamed clubhouse source, Dustin Pedroia.

:lol: :lol:

Yahtzee
    Participant

Came in late to that and thought they were a lesbian couple until one said she was 14 and then it just felt creepy and weird.

Suzy
    Participant

Came in late to that and thought they were a lesbian couple until one said she was 14 and then it just felt creepy and weird.

What the hell? Glad I missed that. Endured his awfulness during a five-minute drive last night and that was more than enough. :puke:

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar