Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/3/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 52 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Danny Duberstein 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Okay, so the Bruins laid an egg.

Onward and upward tonight. Talent disparity!

Lebron
    Participant

That sucked.  Especially with Pedro in the building.

At least the Rockets lost.  Not enough that they have D’antoni/Harden/Paul but I fucking hate teams wearing their roadies at home.  Especially in the playoffs.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Hate the uniform thing too. It’s confusing and most of them are downright awful. Town for GS?

chicowalker
    Participant

I was convinced that the Rockets were going to win that game just shooting free throws the last 5 minutes.  Good on the Jazz for staying composed.  Made me think of the 2006 finals, so I looked it up. Wade alone shot 46 free throws in just games 5 and 6  :ohmy: . I remember it being bad but holy shit. Antoine was legitimately the 2nd option for that team.  They might be the worst team to win a championship of all time.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  chicowalker.

Humphrey
    Participant

Hate the uniform thing too. It’s confusing and most of them are downright awful. Town for GS?

Reminds me of the league my high school was in —starting in the mid 70s for about 10 years  they made the basketball teams wear colors at home because “that way we’ll have all the sports doing it the same way”.   Of course any time there was a non-leaguer or a tournament game it was chaos.

Isn’t “The Town” leaving that town to go back to “The City”

jforb
    Participant

Another day, another +5 (8219)

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I was convinced that the Rockets were going to win that game just shooting free throws the last 5 minutes. Good on the Jazz for staying composed. Made me think of the 2006 finals, so I looked it up. Wade alone shot 46 free throws in just games 5 and 6 :ohmy: . I remember it being bad but holy shit. Antoine was legitimately the 2nd option for that team. They might be the worst team to win a championship of all time.

Holy Shit! I completely erased from my memory that Walker was on that team and the #3 scorer. And that fossils Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton got rings too. I was happy at the time that they beat Kobe.

Participant

Reminds me of the league my high school was in —starting in the mid 70s for about 10 years they made the basketball teams wear colors at home because “that way we’ll have all the sports doing it the same way”. Of course any time there was a non-leaguer or a tournament game it was chaos. Isn’t “The Town” leaving that town to go back to “The City”

Image result for mike barnicle“The Warriors and the Raiders may be leaving, but baseball stays.”

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

2006 Holy Shit! I completely erased from my memory that Walker was on that team and the #3 scorer. And that fossils Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton got rings too. I was happy at the time that they beat Kobe.

They beat Dirk.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

2006 Holy Shit! I completely erased from my memory that Walker was on that team and the #3 scorer. And that fossils Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton got rings too. I was happy at the time that they beat Kobe.

They beat Dirk.

Oh, crap. I guess I was just happy that Shaw got a temporary lead on Kobe in terms of rings. In retrospect Dirk would have been more palatable though he eventually got one.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

They beat Dirk.

Oh, crap. I guess I was just happy that Shaw got a temporary lead on Kobe in terms of rings. In retrospect Dirk would have been more palatable though he eventually got one.

For some reason that series sticks out in my mind. Dallas went up 2-0 and lost in 6 games. Lots of ‘refs were in the tank for Wade’ talk. I think Cuban blew a gasket.

My agenda is truth.

chicowalker
    Participant

They beat Dirk.

For some reason that series sticks out in my mind. Dallas went up 2-0 and lost in 6 games. Lots of ‘refs were in the tank for Wade’ talk. I think Cuban blew a gasket.

He shot nearly 100 FT in 6 games

Big Fat O
    Participant

Doesn’t Powder realize the front page hit pieces on the Pats take the spot light off his beloved Red Sox?

Articles like this just give the talk shows more things to ignore the Sox with.

Saddest part is this is all dimwitted TBH playing arm chair shrink but will be accepted as fact over the next few days.

Participant

:lol: Of course they did. :lol:

20 hours ago

GusChiggins
    Participant

Surprised Mike Westhoff wasn’t included.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Let’s see. Kicking team having to be stationary incentivizes returns. No wedge discourages returns, but in a smaller way I think. Returning teams having to be closer to midfield is an advantage to kicking team.

The big question for me is whether This will result in more or fewer returns

If I had to guess, I’d say a few less. It’ll be interesting to see preseason games to see how successful returning deep kicks are. I actually don’t hate these changes.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I get it. There’s been a shit ton of concussions from kickoffs, and seemingly no one breaks a long one.

This seems like a decent compromise to keep the kickoff (and the special teams players that go with it) but make it safer. Eventually it will go away.  Kind of sucks for reserve linemen, who suddenly have less value.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

While doing Archivist things, came across this from May 3, 2016:

Fuck it, I’ll put this here: Wife’s friend got implants a few years ago. Over a bottle* of wine the other night, she tried to convince my wife to get them. I wasn’t there while this was happening. My wife’s are fine – not big, but totally fine. Wife’s friend’s argument in favor was I would like them “no matter what I say otherwise” and “why not? You only live once.” Whenever the topic had come up in the past, and it only had come up when someone else got them, I repeatedly told my wife not to do it so as not to make her feel uncomfortable. In all honesty, I was completely ambivalent and never thought it was even a consideration. Now it appears she is considering it to some degree, and so the question is: How do I absolutely positively convince her to do it?

* 6 bottles

(+13)

Fun was had in the Thread, but I don’t believe we were ever informed as to the outcome. Well?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Feejis
    Participant

I get it. There’s been a shit ton of concussions from kickoffs, and seemingly no one breaks a long one. This seems like a decent compromise to keep the kickoff (and the special teams players that go with it) but make it safer. Eventually it will go away. Kind of sucks for reserve linemen, who suddenly have less value.

Where are the numbers on concussions incurred during kickoffs? And who are the numbers from?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Went back to read that thread and there were some tweets from BSMW’s (former) top conservative. How did his campaign for public office go?

My agenda is truth.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I get it. There’s been a shit ton of concussions from kickoffs, and seemingly no one breaks a long one. This seems like a decent compromise to keep the kickoff (and the special teams players that go with it) but make it safer. Eventually it will go away. Kind of sucks for reserve linemen, who suddenly have less value.

Where are the numbers on concussions incurred during kickoffs? And who are the numbers from?

71 concussions (reported) over last 3 seasons per Jim Trotters article on NFL.com. I assume those are NFL internal numbers.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Surprised Mike Westhoff wasn’t included.

The Jack McCormick of the NFL.

(Old man that you want to push down)

Lefty

My bet is they allow a fair catch on kickoffs that will automatically put the ball at the 25 from wherever it is caught (behind the 25) and end this Belichickian device of intentionally kicking short to cause morons to try to return it rather than let it bounce into the end zone.   That would keep the play but cut returns down to almost none.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the idea, but it sounds like Roger’s NFL to me.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Lefty.

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

I guess my point is it seems like the big play value of the kickoff is already greatly diminished, so I don’t really care about taking that farther.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

While doing Archivist things, came across this from May 3, 2016:

Fuck it, I’ll put this here: Wife’s friend got implants a few years ago. Over a bottle* of wine the other night, she tried to convince my wife to get them. I wasn’t there while this was happening. My wife’s are fine – not big, but totally fine. Wife’s friend’s argument in favor was I would like them “no matter what I say otherwise” and “why not? You only live once.” Whenever the topic had come up in the past, and it only had come up when someone else got them, I repeatedly told my wife not to do it so as not to make her feel uncomfortable. In all honesty, I was completely ambivalent and never thought it was even a consideration. Now it appears she is considering it to some degree, and so the question is: How do I absolutely positively convince her to do it? * 6 bottles (+13)

Fun was had in the Thread, but I don’t believe we were ever informed as to the outcome. Well?

71 concussions (reported) over last two seasons — oops, wrong re-post …  :ohmy:   :rollseyes:   :lol:

jforb
    Participant

I guess my point is it seems like the big play value of the kickoff is already greatly diminished, so I don’t really care about taking that farther.

Anyone here besides you and TwoTimes likely to care what they do in another year or two?

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

They’re proposing it for this year. Who knows what the owners will do though

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Tony Mazz was comparing JD Martinez and Giancarlo Stanton’s seasons and used runs scored and RBI because those stats show “production.” Their difference in OPS+ is about .150. But in Tony’s world, they have similar “production.” Willfully ignorant or stunningly stupid?

wRC+ was mentioned and they all lost their minds. People who cite it are ruining baseball and need to have their heads dunked in toilets. :weei:

My agenda is truth.

Coma
    Participant

PK has decided to take his talents (whatever those are) to NBC Sports (link) in July. I wonder what this means for the MMQB crew. There’s no way any of them can do a credible job with the column, especially since King will still be doing it, just on a different site. Will King try to bring them with him? Will the plucky little micro-site go bye-bye?

Claude45
    Participant

My bet is they allow a fair catch on kickoffs that will automatically put the ball at the 25 from wherever it is caught (behind the 25) and end this Belichickian device of intentionally kicking short to cause morons to try to return it rather than let it bounce into the end zone. That would keep the play but cut returns down to almost none. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the idea, but it sounds like Roger’s NFL to me.

No worries. Roger said they had plenty of “creative ideas” to fix the kickoff. His management of the league has been flawless so what could go wrong?

Florio:

It’s not an easy day for Peter King, who has decided to end his 29-year run at Sports Illustrated. But it’s a pretty good day here at NBC Sports, because Peter has decided to join the effort to cover pro football.

Hey, Fatty’s going to finally make an effort in covering pro football. Good for him.

Lebron
    Participant

Yeah, that’s exactly how I’d describe Pete’s column

It’s a football tour de force, the culmination of hours and hours of phone calls and elbow grease

Lebron
    Participant

Pete called Josh’s rejection of the Colts offer despicable, right?  I’m sure his leaving SI and the staff he hired from other gigs and of course dragged to those shitty baseball games will be filed under “what’s best for me and my family.”

I’d bet the house Bert gets put in charge.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Florio:

It’s not an easy day for Peter King, who has decided to end his 29-year run at Sports Illustrated. But it’s a pretty good day here at NBC Sports, because Peter has decided to join the effort to cover pro football.

Hey, Fatty’s going to finally make an effort in covering pro football. Good for him.

I thought for sure he was leaving so that he could try and find those kidnapped Nigerian girls. He was very upset about it.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

PK has decided to take his talents (whatever those are) to NBC Sports (link) in July. I wonder what this means for the MMQB crew. There’s no way any of them can do a credible job with the column, especially since King will still be doing it, just on a different site. Will King try to bring them with him? Will the plucky little micro-site go bye-bye?

Is there going to be a ceremony for when he turns in his wings and hands over the keys to the fart van? Will be fun to see where Bert gets shit-canned to next.

Participant

Maybe Klemko and Bert will shank each other?

Coma
    Participant

If they allow comments on PK’s PFT articles, then I might need to quit my job.

jforb
    Participant

I know that’s for you, but look at your competition

electricboogalo says:
    May 3, 2018 at 4:28 pm

MMQB has been one of my favorite reads for many years. Unfortunately, the current MMQB section on the SI website became too noisy and it was hard to find Peter’s article, so for the past year or so I stopped seeking it out. I look forward to reading it again.

Coma
    Participant

I know that’s for you, but look at your competition

electricboogalo says: May 3, 2018 at 4:28 pm MMQB has been one of my favorite reads for many years. Unfortunately, the current MMQB section on the SI website became too noisy and it was hard to find Peter’s article, so for the past year or so I stopped seeking it out. I look forward to reading it again.

There’s a comment on there that this will be Bert Breers chance to shine. Might be the unintentionally funniest thing I’ve read all week.

Edit to add: My comment asking if Florio could finally get an answer why PK stole that foul ball from a child didn’t make it past the screener.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Coma.

Participant

When you in again @Jared_Carrabis ? https://twitter.com/khynes21/status/992091905864298497

That’s what she said.

Humphrey
    Participant

Maybe lj can draw a van driven by LeBron hitting a bunch of raptors…I’m sure it would be in good taste.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Maybe lj can draw a van driven by LeBron hitting a bunch of raptors…I’m sure it would be in good taste.

“Extinction Level Event”. Lebron as meteor. Draw it Larry.

jforb
    Participant

Both options PK approved.

Humphrey
    Participant

Morris stood like a statue on three defensive rebound situations in a row…has done nothing down the other end too….finally yanked.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Does Grand Theft Klemnko need to notify his probation officer he’ll be unemployed soon?

chicowalker
    Participant

Someone needs to lay that little shit McConnell out

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

No quit in this team. Brad never taught them how.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

A while back they showed Kevin Hart cheering for about 7 seconds after a Philly score and didn’t cut back to the action until the Celtics were about to shoot again.

GusChiggins
    Participant

That alley oop pass. So pretty.

InThisTown
    Participant

Someone needs to lay that little shit McConnell out

He’s like tenth on my list of 6ers who need a punch.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar