Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/31/2018 Daily Thread

This topic contains 42 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Humphrey 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Just wondering if any other sports personalities quietly deleted burner accounts yesterday in the wake of the Colangelo thing.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Fuck Joe Maddon.

He probably has a few burner accounts, too.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Colangelo says the tweets aren’t his and “someone is out to get him”.

I got bad news for you, Bryan. THE CALLS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

jforb
    Participant

Any possible interest I had in listening to Clemens do a Sox game is completely negated by pairing him with Dale.

chicowalker
    Participant

Any possible interest I had in listening to Clemens do a Sox game is completely negated by pairing him with Dale.

Strike three swinging, gets him with the high heat…something you might know a little about Roger, ho ho! :weei:  

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Fuck Joe Maddon. He probably has a few burner accounts, too.

He did, but they were all AIM accounts.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Dear John Henry,

Your top sports columnist is telling me not to pickup your newspaper or click onto your website because this all means nothing until October.

Was this marketing strategy your idea or did the visionary publisher come up with it?

Sincerely,

Zip

@Dan_Shaughnessy

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Shank and Almost-A-Coach oughta get a room.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Strike three swinging, gets him with the high heat…something you might know a little about Roger, ho ho! :weei:

J.D.’s off to a decent start…don’cha think?

Now when you struck out 20 the second time, and you did it a couple times, were you on the mound thinking, I’m really going to do this again???

*Comment about hot temperature*

chicowalker
    Participant

Shank and Almost-A-Coach oughta get a room.

Dan, despite that bathrobe being loosely tied and too short, I don’t see it…at all

BrianInLA
    Participant

Lots of speculation that its Colangelo’s son who was doing the tweeting which would make sense about them coming from inside the house. At least from the west coast ESPN bozo’s.

Does anyone doubt that, since this is the NBA, it will be over and resolved in about a week whereas if it were the NFL it would be dragging on right through next years Super Bowl and somehow the Pats will lose yet one more draft pick even though it has nothing to do with them?

Participant

J.D.’s off to a decent start…don’cha think? Now when you struck out 20 the second time, and you did it a couple times, were you on the mound thinking, I’m really going to do this again??? *Comment about hot temperature*

Will he manage to work in a Barbara Bush death dedication?

While we daily go through “who’s worst?” among Fatty,  Shank, Felger, Mazz, Bertie, et al, we shouldn’t forget what a weaselly little cunt Florio is. Today’s effort:

At a time when the discontent has spread to players like quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski, maybe there really is a deeper problem in the locker room, where the core of players obsessed with winning has been overcome by a critical mass of players who are sick of being constantly criticized. The tipping point quite possibly came during Super Bowl LII, when Belichick apparently departed from the win-at-all-costs mindset to instead play some sort of mind game with cornerback Malcolm Butler, leaving him on the sideline as the defense couldn’t stop Philadelphia’s offense.

So so much projection and wish fulfillment of what Florio wishes their reality to be.

When you think Cassius Fucking Marsh being a pussy about hard practices signals “critical mass” or a “tipping point”, you need a new line of work.

And of course, he needs to pull the Butler decision in, like every other time. That’s been answered, not to anybody’s satisfaction, but as well as it’s ever going to be. Butler acknowledged illness, lack of focus and not being prepared. He’s not going to out and out cop to the stuff we think really happened, but if you have the tiniest ability to think critically,  you can read between the lines: Butler fucked up.

Florio briefly hedges, so as to give the illusion of even-handedness:

And while none of it may matter when it’s time to suit up and play in September…

This is his acknowledgement that his whole house of cards will likely collapse when it all matters. But for Florio, it’s just cover for what he writes next:

the fact that both Brady and Gronkowski are nowhere to be seen necessarily affects the overall preparation of a team that uses every phase of the calendar as a building block toward the next one.
    If they and others find themselves resenting Belichick’s ways and questioning the effectiveness of his methods and his message, coach and players could be on a collision course for a level of dysfunction that they may not be able to overcome.
    “Level of dysfunction”, lol. This team lost the best player ever for four games for no good reason whatsoever and still won the Super Bowl. They had a star tight end turn serial killer and they still went to the AFCC. They won Super Bowls despite the distractions of Terry Glenn and Lawyer Milloy. They went 16-0 (and nearly 19-0) despite the daily drumbeat of Spygate. They won a Super Bowl despite the relentless league efforts to distract them with the bullshit that was Deflategate. You really think little Cassius Marsh will be the thing that brings them down?
    I believe there’s absolutely something under the surface in Foxboro. I believe Brady being off in Monaco is his way of handling it. I believe Gronk and Belichick have always grated on each other, but he wouldn’t be renegotiating his contract if he wanted out. And I believe none of this shit will matter in September.
    I also believe if the Pats don’t win as much this year – a very real possibility – the stupid media will say, “See?”

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Lots of speculation that its Colangelo’s son who was doing the tweeting which would make sense about them coming from inside the house. At least from the west coast ESPN bozo’s.

Does anyone doubt that, since this is the NBA, it will be over and resolved in about a week whereas if it were the NFL it would be dragging on right through next years Super Bowl and somehow the Pats will lose yet one more draft pick even though it has nothing to do with them?

The best thing the writer did was ask the 76ers about only two of the burner accounts. When the other three went dark/private/off after that phone call was when Colangelo was done. All that speculation about the kid, the wife, is meaningless because not-Sam Hinkie cannot deny that he knew about the accounts and was the source of all that info.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

BSF34
    Participant

Wait, what?

Participant

While we daily go through “who’s worst?” among Fatty, Shank, Felger, Mazz, Bertie, et al, we shouldn’t forget what a weaselly little cunt Florio is. Today’s effort:

At a time when the discontent has spread to players like quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski, maybe there really is a deeper problem in the locker room, where the core of players obsessed with winning has been overcome by a critical mass of players who are sick of being constantly criticized. The tipping point quite possibly came during Super Bowl LII, when Belichick apparently departed from the win-at-all-costs mindset to instead play some sort of mind game with cornerback Malcolm Butler, leaving him on the sideline as the defense couldn’t stop Philadelphia’s offense.

So so much projection and wish fulfillment of what Florio wishes their reality to be. When you think Cassius Fucking Marsh being a pussy about hard practices signals “critical mass” or a “tipping point”, you need a new line of work. And of course, he needs to pull the Butler decision in, like every other time. That’s been answered, not to anybody’s satisfaction, but as well as it’s ever going to be. Butler acknowledged illness, lack of focus and not being prepared. He’s not going to out and out cop to the stuff we think really happened, but if you have the tiniest ability to think critically, you can read between the lines: Butler fucked up. Florio briefly hedges, so as to give the illusion of even-handedness:

And while none of it may matter when it’s time to suit up and play in September…

This is his acknowledgement that his whole house of cards will likely collapse when it all matters. But for Florio, it’s just cover for what he writes next:

the fact that both Brady and Gronkowski are nowhere to be seen necessarily affects the overall preparation of a team that uses every phase of the calendar as a building block toward the next one.
    If they and others find themselves resenting Belichick’s ways and questioning the effectiveness of his methods and his message, coach and players could be on a collision course for a level of dysfunction that they may not be able to overcome.
    “Level of dysfunction”, lol. This team lost the best player ever for four games for no good reason whatsoever and still won the Super Bowl. They had a star tight end turn serial killer and they still went to the AFCC. They won Super Bowls despite the distractions of Terry Glenn and Lawyer Milloy. They went 16-0 (and nearly 19-0) despite the daily drumbeat of Spygate. They won a Super Bowl despite the relentless league efforts to distract them with the bullshit that was Deflategate. You really think little Cassius Marsh will be the thing that brings them down?
    I believe there’s absolutely something under the surface in Foxboro. I believe Brady being off in Monaco is his way of handling it. I believe Gronk and Belichick have always grated on each other, but he wouldn’t be renegotiating his contract if he wanted out. And I believe none of this shit will matter in September.
    I also believe if the Pats don’t win as much this year – a very real possibility – the stupid media will say, “See?”

See-they are having fun, fun, fun with Mike Tomlin.

39 minutes ago

A Teddy 20 says Lane’s dead and buried within 15 years of his retirement. Eff him….

“All the media wants to talk about is rings,” Johnson said. “Rings. I’m going to get this ring and never wear it one day. I’m going to put it away in a box. The only thing you’re going to remember from your playing days, you’re not going to remember the scores. You’re going to remember the people you played with and how you felt. And that’s the truth.”

“All these guys talking about ‘I’ll take the rings.’ OK. You can have your rings. You can also have f–king 15 miserable years.”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

The Baltimore Orioles are 22 games out of first place and it’s still May,  :lol: :lol: :lol:

jforb
    Participant

The Baltimore Orioles are 22 games out of first place and it’s still May, 😆 😆 😆

Good job, good effort Buck

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Will ESPN still exist for Showalter to use it as a landing spot when his Baltimore gig ends ingloriously? He slummed in Bristol twice before after he was canned by the D-Backs and the Rangers.

Participant

Will ESPN still exist for Showalter to use it as a landing spot when his Baltimore gig ends ingloriously? He slummed in Bristol twice before after he was canned by the D-Backs and the Rangers.

“Excuse me sir, he’ll be managing exclusively for the Olde Time Baseball Game until he croaks thank you very much.” Image result for steve buckley boston herald

chicowalker
    Participant

speaking of Buckley, we are now in fill-in host season.  With it looking likely that both the Sox and Yankees will make the playoffs, we can’t be far off from one of Butch’s position by position/who’s starting game 1? discussions.  I’ll bet he thinks Cano is still on the Yankees

Participant

Dr Charles must watch those Vegas pregame thingy’s and think “That could have been me.”

Lefty

Dr Charles must watch those Vegas pregame thingy’s and think “That could have been me.”

Dramatic readings from the Wahlbergs, Mindy Kaling reading “Casey at the Bat,” Dana White introducing the teams, Jimmy Taylor singing the Anthem and an animatronic  Neil Diamond for “Sweet Caroline.”    It’s all in a box under the center field bleachers just waiting to be opened.

Lebron
    Participant

Zidane leaving Real Madrid was a stone cold stunner.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

:lol:  Instead, he’s in exile with Lucchino in Pawtucket, sweating out the RI legislature’s thumbs up/down on the Slater Mill stadium proposal.  Apparently, the project is back from the dead, although its anticipated cost has climbed from $83 million to $97 million over the past 12 months.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Zidane leaving Real Madrid was a stone cold stunner.

I don’t know how to assess club football at all. There’s the usual leagues of each country, each with it’s own ladder. Then the Champions League of across Europe. Then random tournaments and traditional rivalries that have game happens even if Team A is on the top level and Team B is two rungs below. And then the top players will be called away for the Euro and World Cup tournaments.

So Leicester was good in the English Premiere League because it had been a crappy team that wasn’t good enough to qualify for any of the extracurricular games and could just go all out for the EPL games? A team could be struggling in its home league but somehow kick ass in the Champions league at the same time and vice versa? Which is more important? How can you tell without having to check up on standings of five different leagues?

Is Zidane leaving because some other team will shell out more money, is he just tired of the work, or is there a “better” situation despite the fact that he seems to be LeBronning the Champions League? Or is Real Madrid about to fall apart personnel-wise?

jforb
    Participant

Is Zidane leaving because some other team will shell out more money, is he just tired of the work, or is there a “better” situation despite the fact that he seems to be LeBronning the Champions League? Or is Real Madrid about to fall apart personnel-wise?

Guessing the latter two. He’s still under a ton of pressure to beat Barca in La Liga and I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was let go if he didn’t even with another Champions League title next year. Ronaldo was making comments like he was ready to move on. I know Real can just buy whoever they want to replace him, but there’s still a rebuild.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I also don’t understand the mechanics of moving players around. Does Team A sell a player to Team B with the player having no say? Is there a form of free agency? Then there are loans. Are there straight up trades? If a player like Bales or Ronaldo isn’t happy what can he does? What about the scrubs? Are they moved around differently than the stars?

Lebron
    Participant

Real didn’t have a great league season by their standards although winning the Champions League is pretty great.  They have somewhat of a weird team construct, you have a guy like Gareth Bale making $30 mil a year coming off the bench for the last 10 minutes or so.  Bunch of guys under contract for a few years that might not be playing at this same level come next year or year after.

I still can’t figure out transfers, seems it becomes a situation where you inquire about a player and a fee gets set, then you have to sign him to a new contract.  That money that thrown around for Neymar is company buy out type shit.

Humphrey
    Participant

Dramatic readings from the Wahlbergs, Mindy Kaling reading “Casey at the Bat,” Dana White introducing the teams, Jimmy Taylor singing the Anthem and an animatronic Neil Diamond for “Sweet Caroline.” It’s all in a box under the center field bleachers just waiting to be opened. “

What, no Dick Flavin?  I Googled him to make sure he was still alive…and I think he is.

Participant
    May 29

Lebron
    Participant

So Leicester was good in the English Premiere League because it had been a crappy team that wasn’t good enough to qualify for any of the extracurricular games and could just go all out for the EPL games? A team could be struggling in its home league but somehow kick ass in the Champions league at the same time and vice versa? Which is more important? How can you tell without having to check up on standings of five different leagues?

I know Leicester City was nearly relegated the year before they won the EPL, but they had some crazy record finish to stave it off, which probably was an indicator that they were getting better.  I know the British bookmakers took a bath on bets that year.  As for which is more important that’s a good question, probably the league but like most things people/fans will still bitch if you don’t win both.  And also rivalry games like college football, lose those and people want your head on a spike regardless.  I’m still figuring out Champions League myself as you get the teams that qualify which are top 3 or 4 in each league across Europe, but then there’s the Europa League which is like Champions League and Champions League teams that get knocked out early then qualify into Europa.  It can make your head hurt.

Lebron
    Participant
    May 29

Hopefully this is someone Lukey Russert admired and he’s beside himself over it.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I know Leicester City was nearly relegated the year before they won the EPL, but they had some crazy record finish to stave it off, which probably was an indicator that they were getting better. I know the British bookmakers took a bath on bets that year. As for which is more important that’s a good question, probably the league but like most things people/fans will still bitch if you don’t win both. And also rivalry games like college football, lose those and people want your head on a spike regardless. I’m still figuring out Champions League myself as you get the teams that qualify which are top 3 or 4 in each league across Europe, but then there’s the Europa League which is like Champions League and Champions League teams that get knocked out early then qualify into Europa. It can make your head hurt.

Sounds like the NIT of European Football.

jforb
    Participant

Like the NIT if they took all the D2/D3 schools as their primary tournament too.

Lebron
    Participant

They drew 55k for the Europa Cup final between Atletico Madrid and Marseilles, I know Atletico has made a couple of Champions League finals.  Winner of Europa qualifies in to the next Champions League at the group stage next year, they also play the Champions League winner in the Super Cup match in August.  So they get more out of it than the NIT winner.

Lebron
    Participant

Nice ownership struggle emerging with the Broncos.  One of Bowlen’s daughters hired a PR firm and said she’s ready to take ownership of the team.  The Bowlen Trust said nice try toots but no.

Beth Bowlen had worked with the Broncos for a little more than three years with the title as director of special projects starting in 2012. The team has never stated the reasons why she stopped working for the club or whether she was fired, but The Trust did state, “she was fully informed as to why her employment with the team ended in 2015.’’

Bowlen Wallace is not the only one of Pat Bowlen’s children to express a desire to become controlling owner. The Trust meets regularly with interested children but indicated Bowlen Wallace has declined its invitations to meet over the last two years.

Apparently the Trust has been working with one of the other daughters who currently works for McKinsey and she’s the heir apparent, so this other daughter’s out of the blue proclamation was strange timing wise.  The Trust really slapped her down

“Pat was determined to ensure the Broncos would remain a premier franchise in the National Football League in the event of his absence,’’ the Trust said in a statement. “He chose to sustain the team’s success in that eventuality by appointing three non-family trustees to determine whether any of his children had become qualified at some point to step into his shoes.

“Pat did not designate Beth as a trustee or appoint her to a leadership position, nor did he instruct the trustees to specifically mentor her. He made it clear that his children were not automatically entitled to a role with the team and that they would have to earn that opportunity through their accomplishments, qualifications and character.

As trustees honoring the clear wishes of Pat, we have thoroughly evaluated whether Beth is capable of succeeding her father as controlling owner. We have determined that she is not capable or qualified at this time.

“We have communicated our decision to Beth and her lawyers on multiple occasions. She is also fully informed as to why her employment with the team ended in 2015.

“Although Beth has declined our invitations to discuss her qualifications for the last two years, we will continue to proactively engage and meet with any of the Bowlen children who express a desire to earn the right to succeed their father.

Feejis
    Participant

Surprised Bowlen didn’t give them a true Billy Madison test to see if they were mature enough yet.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

J.D.’s off to a decent start…don’cha think? Now when you struck out 20 the second time, and you did it a couple times, were you on the mound thinking, I’m really going to do this again??? *Comment about hot temperature*

Having had WAY too much exposure to Dale’s “radio show” this week, I’m galled by his relentless drive to turn every conversation with co-hosts or callers back to the Bruins. He can’t help it, but it drives me nuts. Nothing against the B’s — it’s Arnold that’s the problem.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

Dramatic readings from the Wahlbergs, Mindy Kaling reading “Casey at the Bat,” Dana White introducing the teams, Jimmy Taylor singing the Anthem and an animatronic Neil Diamond for “Sweet Caroline.” It’s all in a box under the center field bleachers just waiting to be opened. “

Was Dr Chuck ( courtesy Bootleg B.) responsible for that horrible stretch where the super guest performer for Big Games was James Taylor? God that was awful.

chicowalker
    Participant

Lebron will sign with that Lithuanian team the balls play for if it means getting away from jr smith

Participant

JR Smith well played

Humphrey
    Participant

Lebron will sign with that Lithuanian team the balls play for if it means getting away from jr smith

Nice to see Smith fuck up

Viewing 43 posts - 1 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar