Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/4/20 – 5/10/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Lefty

There’s a story in the Athletic today where Deitsch asks 10 -15 play by play announcers what one moment they would like to have back in all their years of broadcasting.   The list of people runs the range from people you have heard of from people you have not heard of.   They almost all have a little pomposity to them, but each has no problem coming up with a screw up or a bad call or a blown call.

Except for one.   My friends, Jim Nance throws in a cursory comment about being sure he has made lot of errors, but the only thing he can think of that he would like to have back is he doesn’t think he enjoyed the moments of being the Utah Jazz PBP guy when he was 25.   It was a magical time, you see, but he was so busy and focused, he didn’t enjoy it the way he should have.   He’d love to have that back.

Of course, it is troubling that the specific memory he links to his Utah PBP days is interviewing John Stockton and other players while they were in a hot tub.   The closet is a dark place, Jim.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Speaking of troubling specific memories, my uncle commented about Great Scott closing. Didn’t go into detail on any of the shows he saw there but did mention that Bob Gamere had what was basically a personal stool in the corner and that he fell off it all the time.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jforb
    Participant

Don Shula won’t be down to keep his restaurant white.

NASCL
    Participant

2007 Patriots popping champagne?

I was hoping he’d live to see Belichick lapping him in wins.

Participant

2007 Patriots popping champagne?

Winningest coach still breathing works in Foxboro

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by 02062.
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Speaking of troubling specific memories, my uncle commented about Great Scott closing. Didn’t go into detail on any of the shows he saw there but did mention that Bob Gamere had what was basically a personal stool in the corner and that he fell off it all the time.

These words should never be used in the same sentence. :wag: :lol:

jforb
    Participant

:lol: My bad, he said barstool.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Gee, is this the same Don Shula who went 2-4 in Super Bowls and was responsible for The Most Embarrassing Loss in NFL History?

I’ll hang up and listen.

:lol:

5 users thanked author for this post.

Patently insecure that his own legacy might not stand on its own merit, this sad SOB had to take on last shot at Belichick:

Lefty

Patently insecure that his own legacy might not stand on its own merit, this sad SOB had to take on last shot at Belichick:

Well, his reputation will remain lily white.

Participant

Is PK adding a :pk: to Florio’s :wag: considered trampolining?  I’ll hang up and listen.

I think it’s good to see the league, via Mike Florio’s reporting, emphasize that undrafted free agents cannot reach agreement with any team before the end of the draft. The only way the league will be able to enforce this and make it a real rule is to hit offending teams hard. It’s always been one of the league’s most flouted rules, agreeing to deals with undrafted guys before the draft ends and signing that night. If the league really wants it to stop, a hefty fine to a confirmed offender would go a long way toward stopping it.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Weeb Ewbank, whom Shula replaced in Baltimore and who schooled Shula’s ass in SB 3, was 2-0 in NFL Championship Games and 1-0 in Super Bowls.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Who had the Shula Steakhouse story here? Did it disappear with the Invision Board?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Coma
    Participant

It’s easy to stay within the rules when you have the authority to change them to your liking.

Edit to add: Also, can you imagine the indignation if 85+ year old Belichick is taking shots at, I don’t know, Brian Flores or Sean McDermott? The only comments I remember from Shula in the last 15 years is him taking shots at the Patriots and celebrating when the last undefeated team loses. Maybe they are out there, but I don’t recall any comments from him praising the current game.

One more edit: If you have to defend your legacy by saying things like “I did things the right way” or “I never cheated,” then there’s a good chance you were less ethical than you want people to believe.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Coma.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Coma.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

One thing that will never change is Shula’s legacy. That’s as hardened and set in stone as the expressway in Miami-Dade County bearing his name.”

Remember this Jimmy Johnson quote from January 2008 (via Reiss in the Globe):

When I went to the Dolphins and they talked about how you’re supposed to have a 15-second cutoff [in communication] to your quarterback, but here is what we do [to circumvent that],” Johnson said. “They said they’ve always done this. So I said,OK, let’s go ahead and do it.’ Then the league said, Hey, we hear you’re doing that, so don’t do it anymore.’

I wish there was more to this somewhere.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Listening to WFAN do a feature called Beningo Bracket of Pain, having Joe Beningo rate the most painful sports moments of his life as a Jets, Mets, Knicks, and Rangers fan. One event charging through the bracket was Charles Smith getting blocked five times in the closing seconds of a Game 5 of the 1993 Bulls/Knicks series. Beningo seems to rate this as the most painful moment of his life as a Knicks fan, and says that surely Charles Smith got fouled one of those five times.

I went to look at footage of the play since I haven’t seen it in ages. I can’t find anything that remotely looks like a foul. Just an epic smothering.

Pain for Joe, sweet schadenfreude for everyone else.

Lebron
    Participant

Lot of people saying they hated those Bulls teams.  Personally I loved watching their greatness and especially how they beat on those Riley Knicks teams during the first run.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

Less than a month after the John Deere incident at Sullivan Stadium (or whatever it was called in 1982), holier-than-thou Don Shula left the Orange Bowl field uncovered; desiring to play the speedier Jets in a quagmire.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Humphrey
    Participant

The only thing close to a foul is the “Stanislavsky” a Bull attempted when Ewing was drving to the hoop.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Lot of people saying they hated those Bulls teams. Personally I loved watching their greatness and especially how they beat on those Riley Knicks teams during the first run.

I liked the first part but not so much the second. The games became grinds at that point.

Lebron
    Participant

Agree that in general that ’96-’98 run was tougher to watch because the games were not as much fun to watch, ’98 especially.  Still I enjoyed the hell out of a team winning 143 regular season games over 2 seasons.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I forever root for the underdog, and I was still fine with the Bulls.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I forever root for the underdog, and I was still fine with the Bulls.

They killed the Pistons and forever stifled the Knicks. Beat back two squads full of brazen bullies. Favorite non-C’s team of the era along with Hakeem’s Rockets.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar