Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/4/20 – 5/10/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    GusChiggins
    Participant

Agree that in general that ’96-’98 run was tougher to watch because the games were not as much fun to watch, ’98 especially. Still I enjoyed the hell out of a team winning 143 regular season games over 2 seasons.

Normally I love the old guard trying to grind it out. The AFC championship against the Chiefs being a great example. I think the problem with 97 and 98 for me is the Jazz were just as old.

Lebron
    Participant

Loved Hakeem’s Rockets.  Mario Elie’s Kiss of Death one of my favorite shots ever.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

That’s a shame.

JACKSON, Miss. — A nonprofit group caught up in an embezzlement scheme in Mississippi used federal welfare money to pay former NFL quarterback Brett Favre $1.1 million for multiple speaking engagements but Favre did not show up for the events, the state auditor said Monday.

Lefty

That’s a shame.

JACKSON, Miss. — A nonprofit group caught up in an embezzlement scheme in Mississippi used federal welfare money to pay former NFL quarterback Brett Favre $1.1 million for multiple speaking engagements but Favre did not show up for the events, the state auditor said Monday.

Probably still the best speeches he ever gave.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Hacksaw
    Participant

Favre was speechless.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I can’t think of a bigger wast of money for a non-profit than to pay Farve to speak.

Coma
    Participant

I can’t wait for Peter King to spin the Favre story as Brett being manipulated by unscrupulous forces and unaware of any wrongdoing. He would have been like a kid out there, having fun speaking circuit, but these bad people never told him the times or locations.

Also, completely unrelated, I feel like there should be some crossover between the people who believe that the tuck rule put the Patriots in the Super Bowl (ignoring that they had to win in Pittsburgh the following week) and that Parcells built the Patriots championship teams (ignoring that Pete Carroll coached the team for 3 years after Parcells left.) There really shouldn’t be, because it should be a group of non-Patriots fans vs. Patriots fans, but both have chosen to ignore some significant facts.

Lebron
    Participant

This is where if Pete were an actual journalist/reporter he would be at least trying to contact Favre given his relationship with him over the years.  Guaranteed all we get is a bunch of speculation and ‘what I heard’ v. you know actually trying to contact the guy.

GusChiggins
    Participant

This is where if Pete were an actual journalist/reporter he would be at least trying to contact Favre given his relationship with him over the years. Guaranteed all we get is a bunch of speculation and ‘what I heard’ v. you know actually trying to contact the guy.

I think Pete will get the interview but once Favre gets his story straightened out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

There was a replay of the Seahawks-Packers “Fail Mary” game last night. Criticizing the replacement officials was obviously a big topic after that game, but I don’t remember any being directed at the Green Bay defensive back who chose to try and catch Wilson’s pass as opposed to knocking it down. If he bats the ball away, there’s no chance for Golden Tate to “catch” it and the officials to have an impact on the outcome of the game.

I rewatched the last few minutes of the Patriots-Ravens regular season game from 2012. There were 24 combined penalties called for a total of 218 yards and Michaels and Collinsworth were all over the officials. That was also the game that ended on a GW field goal for Baltimore that might have actually missed. I had forgotten that, earlier in that drive, Flacco threw a deep pass up for grabs that Kyle Arrington could have intercepted, except he slipped as he approached the ball.

Lebron
    Participant

Still remember yelling ‘he missed it!’ at the tv and being happy Belichick was just as livid so it confirmed I wasn’t totally nuts.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Tara Sullivan has a column day saying that Shula was the epitome of ethics and character. Unlike Belicheat.

Coma
    Participant

Tara Sullivan has a column day saying that Shula was the epitome of ethics and character. Unlike Belicheat.

You would think that Shula being a two time Super Bowl champion, hall of famer and the all time wins leader as a head coach would be enough superlatives to honor him. In addition to that, his supporters have decided that they also need to claim that he never thought about even bending a rule, never told a lie and never did anything wrong. It really seems like protesting too much, so I’ll admit that I’m rooting for a scandal to be unearthed that tarnishes the concept of Saint Shula.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I read Sullivan’s homage to Shula. It was written around a phone call to Old Friend Of The Board Upton Bell, who recalled his pre-Patriots career when he was a rising young exec with the Baltimore Colts, the poor little rich boy from the Main Line and–as the son of the late NFL Commissioner–the original ThanksDad before anyone ever heard of Charlie Goodell, let along Roger.

Of course, the coach was Shula and the quarterback was Johnny U and the tight end was John Mackey and the defense had all those great stars like Bubba Smith and Mike Curtis and Ted Hendricks. And what a team!!! And because it was Lombardi’s NFL of the 1960s and they were in the Western Conference for some reason they somehow ended up in only two NFL title games (they were smoked by the Browns in 1964, and then in 1968 prevailed … only to face Namath in SB 3 and throw up on their shoes).

And how, later, Shula went to Miami (breaking his contract, but we don’t have the press conference on YouTube or the Gutman-like backstab from Carroll Rosenbloom) and made a specialty of humiliating the early 1970s Patriots, even after his pal Uppie moved north to New England and took over their front office. And how, once, at the old stadium in Foxboro, the fans were hooting at Uppie Bell because the Pats were, like, 2-10, and John Mazur had quit and Phil Bengtson was coaching them, and Willie McDonough told Shula that Bell was about to lose his GM job and so Shula sought out Bell after the game and asked him: “Are you all right, Uppie?”

It’s sort of like Babe Ruth visiting the sick kid in the hospital and promising to hit a home run for him that day and the kid miraculously recovers from his mortal illness and becomes Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, or whatever. Except Bell lost his job anyway.

So when Shula consistently shits on Belichick for “cheating,” it’s not out of malice, people. He’s just speaking his mind. He’s being upfront. And as the winningest coach in NFL history, he’s got a right to do that.

What I love is that, when Belichick is described as the Greatest Coach in NFL History, Shula’s name doesn’t even get mentioned. Brown, Lombardi, Walsh … sometimes Landry. But never, ever Shula. So, naw, it’s not personal, Bill.

:lol:

Participant

9-19 lifetime for Upton, out of the nfl going on 50 years, he can go shit in his hat.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Good morning.
    Earl Thomas Was in an Orgy Involving His Brother, Then His Wife Showed Up With a Gun

Nina claims Earl, 30, left their home earlier in the day after an argument over the NFL player’s drinking. She claims Earl’s brother, Seth Thomas, picked him up.

But, a short time later, she decided to check on his whereabouts by logging into his Snapchat account — and that’s when she says she found video of Earl with another woman.

Nina says she used Earl’s Snapchat account to track his location to a nearby Airbnb rental home … and says she called up two other women to help her confront Earl at the pad. Nina also claims she grabbed Earl’s pistol, a 9mm Berreta, in the process with the intention to “scare him.”When the women arrived at the house, they “discovered Earl and Seth naked in bed with other women.”

That’s when Nina admits she pulled out the gun and put it to Earl’s head — stating “that she took out the magazine thinking that the gun could not fire.” But, cops say Nina was “unaware that the gun had a round in the chamber.”

Apparently Thomas was able to take the gun from her, but this also happened:

In an interview with Earl’s alleged mistress at the scene, she claimed Nina also threatened her and the other woman in the house — pointing the gun at them and yelling “I got something for all you hoes!”

Yahtzee
    Participant

Today, the Globe publishes a CHB column that is basically just a re-write of Tara Sullivan’s Shula shine job from yesterday. Integrity (unlike Bill)!

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Sounds like Earl talks a way better game with a gun in his face than Steve McNair

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

“I got something for all you Poes”.

Participant

Today, the Globe publishes a CHB column that is basically just a re-write of Tara Sullivan’s Shula shine job from yesterday. Integrity (unlike Bill)!

Any doubt that Dan steered Tara to Upton?

“Listen Tara, I know you don’t know who he is – but he’s been in the media for a 1000 years and is old – taking shots at Bill might cheer him up.   Plus, he was friends with Willie.”

Lebron
    Participant

I’m just here for the gang bang.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

…aren’t we all?

Coma
    Participant

Sounds like Earl talks a way better game with a gun in his face than Steve McNair

Thomas was a lot more composed in that situation than when he tried to make a solo tackle on Derrick Henry in the playoffs.

Coma
    Participant

I’m just here for the gang bang.

The Legion of Boom had nothing to do with football. Who knew?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar