Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/4/20 – 5/10/20 Weekly Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The only people who give a shit about Parcells not being in the Pats’ HoF are Shank (to spite the Krafts), HighPants (to spite Belichick, I guess), and Al from Everett. I’m sure Parcells doesn’t care, since he’s in Canton anyway. Let’s not put him in Foxborough yet, fellas.

As long as the Krafts have the LD phone records that prove conclusively how much time Parcells spent negotiating with the Jets or talking to his agent who was negotiating with the Jets during the week his team was preparing for the Super Bowl (only the second Super Bowl in its history) against Green Bay, I’m fine with them keeping him out.

Now if Parcells had proved he was Superman by still coaching his team to a victory in SB 31, well, okay. But they lost a very winnable game.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Let’s not put him in Foxborough yet, fellas.

:lol: :lol:   Can I steal that?

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Judy Blume has one of those Masterclass thingys and my first thought was to think of Ozzy. RIP, probably.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Yahtzee
    Participant

Can someone remind me what the toughest job in the world is?

Lefty

Can someone remind me what the toughest job in the world is?

Teachanursarespondamom.

chicowalker
    Participant

I love the “he’s good enough for Canton but not Foxboro(ugh)”  Is Willie Mays in the Mets HoF? Shaq’s 36 going up in the rafters at the Garden?

I love the “he’s good enough for Canton but not Foxboro(ugh)” Is Willie Mays in the Mets HoF? Shaq’s 36 going up in the rafters at the Garden?

Raymond Berry’s in Canton, too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I love that this is Earl Thomas’ version of damage control.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Kellyanne Conway must be moonlighting for him.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

I missed what he actually said when it broke. Rotoworld.

Ravens said they became aware of the Earl Thomas situation Wednesday night.

TMZ is reporting that the Ravens safety had a gun held to his head by his wife after she caught him cheating in an incident last month. Thomas released a statement on his Instagram stating, ““So my agent just hit me and said that I’m going to be on TMZ tomorrow from an altercation that happened with me and Nina … So I just wanted to get ahead of it. I mean, it’s really not anybody’s business. It’s pissing me off that it got out but it’s the world we live in today. Instead of talking about it, just keep us in y’all’s prayers. Stuff like this happens, bro. We try to live the best lives we possibly can but sometimes it don’t go as planned. Just pray for us as we go through this stuff. We’ve back talking. I’m seeing my kids so just keep us in your prayers.” It’s unclear if the league or Ravens will stick Thomas with any sort of punishment.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The MLB antibody test came back with only 0.7% having the antibodies.  There was hope it would be between 7-20%.  That cant be good news.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I watched NESN’s 1995-vintage “Road to the Stanley Cup: 1970” last night and it brought back a few memories for this (now) Old Bastard, then a callow teenager. CBS covered the Sunday games only (Dan Kelly, who was brilliant, on PBP, and the cloying/annoying Bill Mazer on color), and local television (TV38) the rest. Unfortunately, that means that Games 1 and 4 of the Finals had almost no highlights; apparently, CBS wiped the video and the local affiliate, then the “old” Channel 5, owned by the Herald-Traveler, didn’t tape it either. I think the only video of those games that survives is the overtime from Game 4. The weeknight games (Tuesday and Thursday) were on TV38, with Don Earle at the mic. He was no prize, but … compared with Jack Edwards … he wasn’t bad!  Johnny Pierson apparently was working on the WBZ radio team with Fred Cusick, and Earle had a series of color commentators, all of them old Bruins and very, very wooden. I particularly remember Pat Egan, an old defenseman from the 1940s with the thickest, back-country Ontario accent you could imagine. I think he said “eh?” after every other word.

:smile:

But Egan wasn’t doing the playoff games. And in any case it was clear that Earle wasn’t used to working with a partner. He had some gruff old guy (and Earle frequently talked over him) doing the color commentary, and only when he finally addressed him by his first name did I realize who it was: Cooney Weiland, then about 65 years old (which was fucking old then, I’ll tell ya). I think he was still the head coach at Harvard, and, of course, he had been a stalwart Bruin player and coach during the 1930s.

Anyway, it was great, although if I never hear the “Nut Cracked” Bruins’ theme song again, I’ll be a happy man. (They played it after every period summary of every game, so it was … overdone.) I don’t think I’ve watched some of those TV38 games from the Blackhawks and Blues series since they aired. My dad and I watched every minute back then.

I know it was a four-game sweep against an overmatched expansion team, but I think that’s still one of my happiest moments as a Boston sports fan.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Coma
    Participant

The MLB antibody test came back with only 0.7% having the antibodies. There was hope it would be between 7-20%. That cant be good news.

The one time you want guys to test positive and they all come back clean   :lol:

Coma
    Participant

What I love is that, when Belichick is described as the Greatest Coach in NFL History, Shula’s name doesn’t even get mentioned. Brown, Lombardi, Walsh … sometimes Landry. But never, ever Shula. So, naw, it’s not personal, Bill.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Shula was behind any innovation, like Walsh and his scripted plays. He was known for adapting his game plan to fit the talent on his roster, but that’s not groundbreaking stuff. It takes talent to recognize that and successfully implement it, but realizing that you should throw more with a great QB or run more with great backs seems like something every good coach should do.

People like to predict that the Patriots will fall apart and become non-factors once Belichick is gone. They may not realize it, but that’s what has happened to the Dolphins. It might end up happening to New England, but the Patriots non-Belichick accomplishments are still superior to what Miami has done. Without Shula, the Dolphins are 3-7 in the postseason with 2 first place finishes in the AFCE and no trips to the AFC championship game. The Patriots are 6-9 with 4 AFCE crowns and 2 trips to the Super Bowl. Even if you take away Parcells’ contributions, the Patriots still have more AFCE titles and won an AFC championship. If I was a Dolphins fan, I’d pump up Shual’s accomplishments because it takes the focus off the other 29 seasons of mediocrity.

Humphrey
    Participant

Tough call as to whether Cooney Weiland was worse as an analyst or Rick Weiland (part of the Sox 2011 disaster) was worse as a pitcher.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar