Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/5/2018-5/6/2018 Weekend Thread

This topic contains 70 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Lefty 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

HighPants’ column today is headlined “What Makes Brad Stevens So Special” and lede includes the questions “How good is he? What makes him tick?”  You figure that The Commissioner will offer insights that actually answer those questions.

But he never does, except for a few conventional-wisdom pearls at the end of piece.

Instead, you get hundreds and hundreds of words on hiring trends since 1946, and on Doctor Jack Ramsay, Dick Motta, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Bill Fitch, Butch van Breda Kolff, and the other college coaches who went to the NBA from college gigs, along with washouts like Vitale, Calipari and Carlessimo. There’s a massive bias toward the pre-David Stern NBA.  Strangely, there does not appear to be a single mention of Rick Pitino.

I understand that Ryan writes these columns without leaving his suburban den. But … come on. 

a.paul
    Participant

I didn’t realize he was still alive. I thought rectal impactions were usually fatal.

a.paul
    Participant

A commenter in the KPD story about Marchand’s licking suggests that it’s time to make Marchand some other team’s problem as the B’s have clearly reached their ceiling.

My head hurts from the stupidity shown by ‘fans’ in this area. Sure. Trade off a 30-40 goal scorer who’s shown he can carry a team for stretches of time and who does it without the aid of the officials.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Wow. Here’s one thing about Yadier Molina that Christian Vazquez does not want to emulate: Molina Undergoes Emergency Surgery After Foul Ball Hits Him in Groin.   :blink:

jforb
    Participant

Don’t watch the video of that! :puke:

jforb
    Participant

Why isn’t he writing for an 8239 subscriber site?

When one executive recently watched Vladimir Guerrero Jr., the Blue Jays’ top third base prospect, he harkened back to watching a young Adrian Beltre. And yes, there are similarities.

The similarities are probably why he said that.

Humphrey
    Participant

I will say this about Nick’s continually pointing out how the Sox are making a mockery of poor Blake Swiharts career:   assuming the guy shows some pop in his bat, did anyone ever think of pinch hitting for either of the two catchers?   Only having two catchers used to be the reason that they didn’t want to do that.

Humphrey
    Participant

Don’t see the bruins recovering from this abortion of a period.   Hope I get to eat my words

a.paul
    Participant

Ding away, but I’m rooting against the Bruins now. I don’t think I can stand Pierre for 20 more minutes…although Jack Edwards has a couple of good tweets about band wagons and expecting an on air countdown. Also I really want to see Chara tune Stamkos up–not one of his typical “I have to fight you but I’m going to try not to hurt you because I know I’m 3 feet taller than you little person” fights but one of his fights where he’s actually really pissed and wants to injure the other guy. And if he can manage to take out a stripie or two while he’s doing it, I’d be even more pleased.

This (to quote from one of the most amazing singers of our time) shit is bananas. B A N A N A S.

Backes is motionless on the deck and the fans cheer and Pierre goes on and on about what a great hockey town it is and how respectful the fans are. Fuck him and fuck them.

Is it hurricane season yet?

Big Fat O
    Participant

Is it wrong to hope Pierre takes one right of his cue ball head?

Yahtzee
    Participant

I think the B’s pull the goalie and tie it.

a.paul
    Participant

Is it wrong to hope Pierre takes one right of his cue ball head?

Biggest problem with that is he’d get up with a story about someone from some backwater Canadian bullshit league that took one off his head once. Other than that I have nothing but hope for this occurrence.

a.paul
    Participant

In a just world McDonough would’ve ripped all the connective tissue in his knee when he tripped himself up.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I was wrong about Truman in 48 too.

Nashua Dad
    Participant

Go Vegas.

a.paul
    Participant

Go Washington. I hate the Caps but I want to see those thugs destroy Tampa.

Humphrey
    Participant

Go Washington. I hate the Caps but I want to see those thugs destroy Tampa.

As long as you didn’t say Go Penguins

a.paul
    Participant

If the Penguins charter flight crashed I’d only feel badly for the air crew and team support staff.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Just a cavalcade of horrible people in the Boston sports media right now:  Masseroti; Merloni; Tomase;  Craig; Curt; Shank; Breer; Volin.  Doing all they can to ruin enjoyment of sports in this town.  And I don’t even listen to 98.5.

a.paul
    Participant

Just a cavalcade of horrible people in the Boston sports media right now: Masseroti; Merloni; Tomase; Craig; Curt; Shank; Breer; Volin. Doing all they can to ruin enjoyment of sports in this town. And I don’t even listen to 98.5.

+ about 10 thousand.

Don’t forget Reamer and Hannable.

Lefty

This old article was bouncing around Twitter today, bringing perspective to the fraud that is Pierre

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/sports/9405210429_1_pierre-mcguire-whalers-general-manager-paul-holmgren

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar