Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/6-5/12/2019 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 157 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 158 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Crucial week for B’s and C’s.

In a way, Chuck, you could say it was a good thing you got cancer:

Imagine, I asked Pagano, if you never got leukemia in 2012. Imagine if you hadn’t been cured, then gone on to raise almost $6 million for the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center. 

4 users thanked author for this post.

Tim Layden being very tolerant of Fatty’s stupid questions:

FMIA: Why did it take 22 minutes for the stewards to decide?

Layden:It took 22 minutes because this is the Kentucky Derby

But people on the Internet seemed bothered, Tim. What about that?

FMIA: One of the reactions, judging from what I’ve read and heard, is that this is just another example of replay run amok in sporting society. Do you think so?

Layden:I haven’t heard that. I don’t think so.

:lol: Fatty was all ready to suggest what the Derby really needs is a competition committee, but Layden shut that down right out of the gate.

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Not that there’s a subject he actually knows, but pretty much everything in the column was on something he was clueless about.

As with Bedard’s tv takes.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Imagine, I asked Pagano, if you never got leukemia in 2012. Imagine if you hadn’t been cured, then gone on to raise almost $6 million for the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center.

“Well, Peter, if I hadn’t been cured after I got leukemia, I’d be fuckin’ dead right now, so I suppose I wouldn’t be imagining anything!”

I mean, what a maroon, as Bugs Bunny used to say.

Participant

Not that there’s a subject he actually knows, but pretty much everything in the column was on something he was clueless about.

As with Bedard’s tv takes.

Coffeenerdness: Saints Rest, the cool coffee shop in downtown Grinnell, Iowa, was my writing place for three hours Saturday morning. Peaceful and friendly and full of locals. Loved it there. Thanks, Saints Rest.

Humphrey
    Participant

What King and a lot of others are clueless about is that in horse racing this has been the normal business practice forever.

When I used to go to Suffolk Downs starting in the late 70s; they had inquiries and objections all the time, watched the film/photos, and made a decision.

Only difference is that the visual media is a hell of a lot clearer than it was then. And, it’s not a 3,500 claiming race with non-winners of races since the Nixon Administration.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

He went on and on all week about his upcoming column being something different, experimental, let me know if you like it. But what he puked out was the same shit as always, and no mention in the promo tweets about differerent, experimental, let me know if you like it.

What’s up with that? The idea is to underpromise and overdeliver, not the opposite.  :pk:

Lebron
    Participant

Reminds me of when work colleagues talk about where they put things or asking where I put things “in case I/you get hit by a bus.”  If I or you get hit by a bus who fucking cares where shit is.  If it’s me you think I’m going to be lying on a slab and suddenly wake up saying my god they don’t know where this deal is at, I must live simply to inform them, then I can resume being dead!

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Tim Layden being very tolerant of Fatty’s stupid questions:

FMIA: Why did it take 22 minutes for the stewards to decide?

Layden:It took 22 minutes because this is the Kentucky Derby

But people on the Internet seemed bothered, Tim. What about that?

FMIA: One of the reactions, judging from what I’ve read and heard, is that this is just another example of replay run amok in sporting society. Do you think so?

Layden:I haven’t heard that. I don’t think so.

:lol:Fatty was all ready to suggest what the Derby really needs is a competition committee, but Layden shut that down right out of the gate.

I think Bill Polian should be the supreme arbiter of all things in all sports.   :lol:

BrianInLA
    Participant

I think its the only horse race in America that has 20 horses in it. I heard an interview with the owner of the horse that got DQ’d and he went totally off on the greed of Churchill Downs and its because they let 20 horses in when it should only be 14 and its far too dangerous, etc etc.

I’m a bit surprised there hasn’t been more outrage over all the horses that have died here at Santa Anita. I know its made a few stories here and there and especially around Derby time but 22 horses dying over a short period of time is sort of a statistical outlier and with the faux outrage over everything these days this would fit right in.

Lebron
    Participant

Outrage and whatnot has been there with horse racing for a while, seemed like Barbaro really got it going.  Didn’t HBO basically cancel Luck because of horse deaths?

Suzy
    Participant

:lol:

In addition to being the most insensitive, awkward jackass on the planet, Fatty’s mean streak is a mile wide. I look forward to his public humiliation. It has to come at some point.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Canadian Soldier
Participant

I wonder how much of a tip Fatty left after consuming latte, a table for four (he likes to spread out when he writes), and free Wi-Fi for three hours last weekend at that Iowa coffee shop.

Check that: I wonder if he left any tip at all.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Feejis
Participant

Wait Pete wants us to believe it takes at least 3 hours to write whatever he writes?

5 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
Participant

Wait Pete wants us to believe it takes at least 3 hours to write whatever he writes?

Failed humblebrag.

Lebron
Participant

The question I had for Pagano was a tough one. Cruel, really.

So he made the self determination that a question he formulated was cruel, then forged ahead anyway.  Brave.

Lebron
Participant

I think my feelings about mock drafts are pretty well known (not a fan, I do one—three days before the draft), but I find the mock drafts done 365 days before the next draft particularly reprehensible and click-pandering.

Mock Drafts are reprehensible, except for the one I do.  And mine isn’t click-pandering.  What a reprehensible click pandering douchebag.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lefty

I think my feelings about mock drafts are pretty well known (not a fan, I do one—three days before the draft), but I find the mock drafts done 365 days before the next draft particularly reprehensible and click-pandering.

Mock Drafts are reprehensible, except for the one I do. And mine isn’t click-pandering. What a reprehensible click pandering douchebag.

This is becoming his standard MO following every draft. He talks about how ridiculous the concept of Mock drafts is and how he’s forced to do one. The whole point of this telling this tale is so if anyone criticizes how inaccurate and ridiculous his draft was, he can simply say he put no effort into it because he thinks the whole thing is a waste of time. Of course if it’s accurate he can blow his own horn.    It’s all about protecting his own giant ass

Lebron
Participant

Also one would assume that he’s being forced to do one because it supposedly drives clicks so the click pandering is self inherent.  Later he complains about stuff like Tua Tangowhatshisface going first to the Dolphins because you can’t predict where the teams are players will be in a year.  That’s never stopped Pete from dumb “let’s say this happens and that happens, what this coach or GM or player should do is…” type writing in his column on a regular basis.  That’s what a mock draft is.

Coma
Participant

The question I had for Pagano was a tough one. Cruel, really.

So he made the self determination that a question he formulated was cruel, then forged ahead anyway. Brave.

At least he didn’t ask Pagano how many confirmed combat kills  he has.

Also one would assume that he’s being forced to do one because it supposedly drives clicks so the click pandering is self inherent. Later he complains about stuff like Tua Tangowhatshisface going first to the Dolphins because you can’t predict where the teams are players will be in a year. That’s never stopped Pete from dumb “let’s say this happens and that happens, what this coach or GM or player should do is…” type writing in his column on a regular basis. That’s what a mock draft is.

If “Don’t write about what you have no way of knowing” were an issue  he truly cared about, he’d be having a perpetual existential crisis.  Fortunately for Pete, he was blessed at birth with an extreme lack of self-awareness.

Lebron
Participant

Rodney gets the Patriots Hall of Fame nod.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
Participant

I’m pretty sure PK’s said in the past that it takes considerably more than 3 hours. Conservatively, I think he’s said it’s at least a 10 hour job, but probably claimed more.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar