Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/6-5/12/2019 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 157 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 158 total)
  • Author

Big Fat O
    Participant

This Marchand shit is unreal. He was mean to that reporter! Basically that reporter tried to make some kind of a joke the other night that didn’t go over well with Marchand. He’s not happy with the guy, and somehow he’s the dick in all of this. Of course on the flip side you have Almost A Coach complaining that Marchand isn’t some deep thinker and should just answer questions. Basically he can’t win.

Really a classic example of no matter what someone does the media will not be happy.

I have no idea why any player wants to talk to the media. If they do give them the BB book of quotes, “we’ll see”, “have to play better”, etc.

No matter what they say isn’t right so don’t give them anything.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Unreal shit going down in Liverpool, no Salah no Firmindino and they’ve tied it up on aggregate.

Lebron
    Participant

Jesus Christ, Henry might get some Pizutti pie tonight.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Have to keep a clean sheet. Now and later.

jforb
    Participant

Team would be really likeable if they weren’t in charge.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Unreal shit going down in Liverpool, no Salah no Firmindino and they’ve tied it up on aggregate.

Not just that . . .

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Liverpool won it with some trickeration!

Barcelona just looked outclassed and pushed around all day.

Lebron
    Participant

Team would be really likeable if they weren’t in charge.

I’ve only gotten in to soccer over the last few years, namely because of my kids.  I haven’t really developed a hatred for any team or player, I mostly just enjoy it.  Unlike the other sports that I’ve been following for 4+ decades where I’ve got long running blood feuds with franchises and players too numerous to count.  Strange.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I frequently watch “Hockey Central,” the pregame show for Hockey Night in Canada that precedes the game coverage every Saturday night at 6:30 on NHL Network. It’s well done (even given that it focuses on the Leafs, Leafs, Canadiens, Leafs, Jets, Oilers, Canucks, Leafs, Flames, Senators, Leafs and Leafs). :smile:

Kyle (Lithuanian last name I can’t spell) fills their snarky, millennial quota — not as obnoxious as a Reimer and not as grotesque as Bertrand — but he’s essentially a sneering know-all who probably watches a little too much ESPN or FS1.

Good to see Marchand tell him to pound sand. Marchand may be a sneering millennial himself, but he’s earned the right to drop the mic on turds like Kyle Whatsit.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I looked up Powder and they have a kid together. I was surprised since you never hear of the kid. Then again I don’t read the Globe or boston.com.

Lefty

I looked up Powder and they have a kid together. I was surprised since you never hear of the kid. Then again I don’t read the Globe or boston.com.

Yes, I believe their kids’ name is “Mindy Kaling.”

Lebron
    Participant

McAvoy suspended for Game 1

Humphrey
    Participant

From KPD last week (courtesy of 02062’s post)

“Feels to me like the Canes are far more vulnerable with a 2-0 series lead than CBJ is with but a 2-1 lead.”

Nice when an asshole is dead wrong. Twice, really.

There’s a logic there once you read down in the article: McVay was watching film of early season Pats games, when say the Edelman-free offense wouldn’t offer much insight into the February 2019 Patriots offense.

But still chuckled at the notion “the problem was we spent too much time preparing.” Especially when we know Belichick’s approach is leaving no stone unturned.

5 users thanked author for this post.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

But still chuckled at the notion “the problem was we spent too much time preparing.” Especially when we know Belichick’s approach is leaving no stone unturned.

Yeah, BB analyzes everything, but what makes  game-planning greatness is knowing how to distinguish what’s important from what isn’t in the sea of information at your disposal.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Two of their defenders in that piece:

“We got every look that we planned for,” Littleton says.

Except for one look early in the fourth quarter that they didn’t plan for. “Yeah, they got us with the ‘22’ and spreading out,” Robey-Coleman says. “If it weren’t for those (three plays), we could have come out with the win.”

Except for. If it weren’t for. OK, sure, except every play counts and you failed when it counted most.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Actually, the series that the Rams defense should hang their head over isn’t the TD drive. You made McDaniels draw up new plays in the dirt and Brady got you once. That happens. But the drive after when the Pats are only one score ahead and backed up, that’s the series that should bother you as the Pats just rammed the ball down your throat for a pair of long runs when you had to know they were running. If you hold them to a punt you give the offense one more chance to tie the game.

Humphrey
    Participant

Actually, the series that the Rams defense should hang their head over isn’t the TD drive. You made McDaniels draw up new plays in the dirt and Brady got you once. That happens. But the drive after when the Pats are only one score ahead and backed up, that’s the series that should bother you as the Pats just rammed the ball down your throat for a pair of long runs when you had to know they were running. If you hold them to a punt you give the offense one more chance to tie the game.

…especially in light of several Pats games from the past when, in the same situation, they failed to salt the game away and opened the door for the opponent. In a lot of them, it was just one crummy first down that was needed. Or that horrible first-and-goal vs the Porps in December.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Humphrey.

Feejis
    Participant

Two of their defenders in that piece:

“We got every look that we planned for,” Littleton says.

Except for one look early in the fourth quarter that they didn’t plan for. “Yeah, they got us with the ‘22’ and spreading out,” Robey-Coleman says. “If it weren’t for those (three plays), we could have come out with the win.”

Except for. If it weren’t for. OK, sure, except every play counts and you failed when it counted most.

Wait how did they know what plays were coming? Were they spying?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

But still chuckled at the notion “the problem was we spent too much time preparing.” Especially when we know Belichick’s approach is leaving no stone unturned.

McVay just can’t help it; he can’t STFU. Must be auditioning for Monday Night Football ca. 2024 as the next Gruden. Or he just wants to be the smartest kid in the room, which he certainly wasn’t on February 3rd.

Doug Flutie got on one of those talking head shows recently (Eisen’s, I think) and he said that what separates Belichick from other coaches he has had is that he (1) doesn’t given the media anything that might lead to a competitive (dis)advantage for a coming game, a complete stonewall, and (2) pores over (or has his staff pore over) every soundbite or statement from an opponent, and analyzes clues that might tip the Pats off to strategy or injury status or any situation that may crop up the following Sunday. Flutie said that it’s amazing how leaky pro football coaches and players are when they’re doing interviews.

Another Belichick story, related to his obsession with detail and situational football, was given by Martellus Bennett last year (I think) on another show. During Bennett’s one full year here, 2016, wet weather was expected that Sunday and the opposition punter (from Buffalo, I think) had a reputation for bad hands. On a dry day in practice, Belichick had his staff soak the football and made the punt rush/return group practice recovering fumbled snaps from center. Bennett rolled his eyes, like “Yeah, okay, coach.”  Sure enough, it rained that Sunday and the opposition punter fumbled two snaps from center. From then on, Bennett was a believer.

Last story: NFL Network ran the 2009-10 Soupey (Saints-Colts) the other night, Brees vs. Manning. CBS had the game. Nantz and Simms at one point note how meticulous Brees and Manning are about making sure the game footballs fit their individual requirements. “All the great ones are obsessed with this, Tom Brady, too.”  So nice of the QB Fraternity and those two guys to hike up their collective skirts when DeflateGate happened five years later. :ozzy:

6 users thanked author for this post.

Belichick would also never give any hints into his preparation metholodogy. He wouldn’t go any further than “I have to coach better.”

What is the virtue to broadcasting any of that information? The only thing it does is make people like you better (“Look how humble he is!”), but at the potential detriment of revealing how you go about planning. Check your ego enough to not care if people think you’re an asshole. It will better serve your team.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

McVey definitely comes across as an “I’m the smartest guy in the room” type.

As others have noted, his verbal diarrhea is meant both to show that and to ingratiate himself with the reporters/talking head types.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

Belichick would also never give any hints into his preparation metholodogy. He wouldn’t go any further than “I have to coach better.”

What is the virtue to broadcasting any of that information? The only thing it does is make people like you better (“Look how humble he is!”), but at the potential detriment of revealing how you go about planning. Check your ego enough to not care if people think you’re an asshole. It will better serve your team.

Yet the ignorant masses believe Belichick is nothing BUT ego.

They will never, ever get him.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“My greatest weakness is that I’m too detail-oriented.”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

6 users thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

“My greatest weakness is that I’m too detail-oriented.”

Exactly. What a douche.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar