Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/6-5/12/2019 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 157 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 158 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

Probably what helps Bill in general is that he puts the same amount of preparation/analyzing the opponent into each game.  As with most things regarding Bill, if you pay attention and listen to what he says you would know this.  He doesn’t over-analyze or under-analyze.  He doesn’t do it differently for a regular season game against pitiful teams as he does for the Soupey.  He’s said things repeatedly such as ‘each game is its own thing’ or crucifying Holley when it was suggested he was looking past a horrid Tampa team in the regular season – ‘who does that?’  McVay more than likely did spend twice as much time or whatever than he normally would, or put his nose into things that he normally doesn’t.  Part of that is inexperience.  And as Bill says when asked about experience v. inexperience in big games, you can’t predict who is going to be bothered by what or how guys will respond.  He’s seen it both ways.

Along the same lines yesterday you had the Liverpool coach without 2 of his forwards facing a seemingly insurmountable deficit saying “just try, if we win, great, if not, fail beautifully.”  I think that was pretty much his preparation/analyzing of the game.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

“My greatest weakness is that I’m too detail-oriented.”

Some might call me a “preparation Jedi.”  #brand

5 users thanked author for this post.

Jason Lisk with a nice rebuttal to Fatty:

But this whole thing where someone is compared to one person in one category, then another in a different one, and then a third in another, is a crutch of bad comparison-making. It frankly smacks of pettiness. Throwing in Kyle Orton’s name as having a higher passer rating may be there for giggles, but anyone that has been around the game for as long as King has knows that the offensive numbers have steadily escalated over the years, making such comparisons meaningless…

So when King lumps him with other one-time Super Bowl winners like Dilfer, Johnson, and Hostetler, it’s pretty unfair. Theismann won an MVP award. Those guys might have seen one at some point in their lives.

He’s way too nice about it, but he essentially is saying Pete doesn’t know what the fuck he’s talking about.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

I had not read what King’s comments on Theismann previously, but what a terrible person he is. Can you imagine him saying this about, say, Dennis Byrd:

The fact that Washington never gave Theismann’s number out for years after his gruesome injury is a nice gesture, I suppose.

“I suppose” He can’t even simply recognize it as a magnanimous decision by the team. Of course, PK will cry about how the NFL is a cut-throat business. It would be terrible is some horrible accident or awful affliction visited itself upon Peter King, I suppose.

Furthermore, if Trevor Lawrence or Tua Tagovailoa end up in Green Bay or Indianapolis and ask for #4 or #18, King would be in full “Whoa, whoa, whoa…slow down, rookie” mode. Making fun of Theismann is okay, though. I can only hope that Theismann has a low opinion of King and this is how PK pays him back.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Probably what helps Bill in general is that he puts the same amount of preparation/analyzing the opponent into each game. As with most things regarding Bill, if you pay attention and listen to what he says you would know this. He doesn’t over-analyze or under-analyze. He doesn’t do it differently for a regular season game against pitiful teams as he does for the Soupey. He’s said things repeatedly such as ‘each game is its own thing’ or crucifying Holley when it was suggested he was looking past a horrid Tampa team in the regular season – ‘who does that?’ McVay more than likely did spend twice as much time or whatever than he normally would, or put his nose into things that he normally doesn’t. Part of that is inexperience. And as Bill says when asked about experience v. inexperience in big games, you can’t predict who is going to be bothered by what or how guys will respond. He’s seen it both ways.

Along the same lines yesterday you had the Liverpool coach without 2 of his forwards facing a seemingly insurmountable deficit saying “just try, if we win, great, if not, fail beautifully.” I think that was pretty much his preparation/analyzing of the game.

I’m so glad that I’m not invested enough in soccer to care about results. If I had to pick a favorite team, it’d be Barca as Messi highlights are awesome. But that historical nutcrushing happened yesterday, and all I felt was “huh. That was odd.”

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I had not read what King’s comments on Theismann previously, but what a terrible person he is. Can you imagine him saying this about, say, Dennis Byrd:

The fact that Washington never gave Theismann’s number out for years after his gruesome injury is a nice gesture, I suppose.

“I suppose” He can’t even simply recognize it as a magnanimous decision by the team. Of course,

He’s so fucking arrogant and stupid. There are plenty of guys around the League whose numbers are unofficially retired. Meaning that the team doesn’t give them out if at all possible, but could in an “emergency” if they had to. This drooling idiot pretends not to know this  – and the fact that this is clearly the state of affairs with Theismann. Chalking it up to his irrelevant broken leg grinds my gears. He’s an MVP and Super Bowl Champ, you fucking asshole. They day PK drops dead from clogged pipes is the day I’ll throw a party.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Did they go with ‘Wayne’ for the Royal Baby name?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

1 user thanked author for this post.

Suzy
    Participant

“I suppose” He can’t even simply recognize it as a magnanimous decision by the team. Of course,

He’s so fucking arrogant and stupid. There are plenty of guys around the League whose numbers are unofficially retired. Meaning that the team doesn’t give them out if at all possible, but could in an “emergency” if they had to. This drooling idiot pretends not to know this – and the fact that this is clearly the state of affairs with Theismann. Chalking it up to his irrelevant broken leg grinds my gears. He’s an MVP and Super Bowl Champ, you fucking asshole. They day PK drops dead from clogged pipes is the day I’ll throw a party.

Thanks, King. :wub:

You said everything for me and better than I could have. Just one thing, let’s never underestimate what Fatty may not know. He’s vastly fucking ignorant.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Apparently they went with “Archie.” If he grows up and has sons named Cooper, Peyton and Eli I’m going to be pissed.  And, yeah, I guess Prince Harry’s far enough out of the line of succession that there’s not much chance his kid would end up as “King Archie I” in 2080 or something. :smile:

With all the restrictions imposed by the “number by position” rules in the NFL, it’s stupid for teams to retire numbers; or, let’s say it’s stupid to retire numbers unless you’re talking about Tom Motherf***ing Brady’s #12 or the equivalent.  Pats have forever retired 20 (Cappelletti), 40 (Haynes), 56 (Tippett), 57 (Nelson), 78 (Armstrong), 79 (Hunt) and 89 (Dee). That’s four of the 30 numbers reserved for ineligible receivers. There aren’t any O-linemen wearing numbers in the 90s, which are purely D-line and linebackers at this stage, so that does open things up a bit. Cowboys have always had a “ring of honor” for their best players but I don’t think they’ve ever permanently retired a single jersey number.

Hanlon’s Razor states “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”. Fatty’s the exception to this, in that he is both malicious and stupid.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Apparently they went with “Archie.” If he grows up and has sons named Cooper, Peyton and Eli I’m going to be pissed. And, yeah, I guess Prince Harry’s far enough out of the line of succession that there’s not much chance his kid would end up as “King Archie I” in 2080 or something. :smile:

:lol: King Ralph.

…Not to pull a Clavin, but of course they can pick whatever name they want at Coronation. Sometimes they change it, sometimes they just go with their own first name. The Queen didn’t change her name, but her father and uncle did, her grandfather didn’t, her great-grandfather did.

The Royals do some weird shit.  :lol:

Lebron
    Participant

I’ll always love Theismann for telling Shula to fuck off and signing with the CFL, then coming back a decade later to beat that asshole in a Soupey.  Theismann was pretty damn good those 2 seasons in ’81 and ’82.  The stories he told from the blowout were pretty great

“And then they kept bringing Mike Davis off the corner. They kept bringing him late, and he’d knock the crap out of me. I’d walk to the sideline. I walked up to Coach [Joe] Gibbs one time and I’ve got my helmet half on and half off, my shoulder pads are hanging out, my face is cut. I look at coach and I say, ‘Coach, who’s blocking the safety?’ He looks down at his chart and he says, ‘He’s supposed to be blocked.’

“I said, ‘Coach, look at me! Does it look like anybody’s being blocked?’ “

4 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

Apparently they went with “Archie.” If he grows up and has sons named Cooper, Peyton and Eli I’m going to be pissed. And, yeah, I guess Prince Harry’s far enough out of the line of succession that there’s not much chance his kid would end up as “King Archie I” in 2080 or something. :smile:

With all the restrictions imposed by the “number by position” rules in the NFL, it’s stupid for teams to retire numbers; or, let’s say it’s stupid to retire numbers unless you’re talking about Tom Motherf***ing Brady’s #12 or the equivalent. Pats have forever retired 20 (Cappelletti), 40 (Haynes), 56 (Tippett), 57 (Nelson), 78 (Armstrong), 79 (Hunt) and 89 (Dee). That’s four of the 30 numbers reserved for ineligible receivers. There aren’t any O-linemen wearing numbers in the 90s, which are purely D-line and linebackers at this stage, so that does open things up a bit. Cowboys have always had a “ring of honor” for their best players but I don’t think they’ve ever permanently retired a single jersey number.

Thank God the NFL doesn’t have the liberal college football rules where there is an offensive and a defensive guy with the same* number. It also seems like 0-19 are restricted to qbs, punters and kickers; otherwise you’d see a bunch of nose guards and linebackers wearing their single digit college number.

*yes, I know that there are often 100 or more on a college team; but what they used to do in those situations is give the duplicate #s to walk ons and other guys who get to play in garbage time only or never play at all.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Tottenham close to making it a pair of 3-0 comebacks.

With all the restrictions imposed by the Pats have forever retired 20 (Cappelletti), 40 (Haynes), 56 (Tippett), 57 (Nelson), 78 (Armstrong), 79 (Hunt) and 89 (Dee).

Hannah too.

Retiring Armstrong’s pisses me off.

jforb
    Participant

Tottenham close to making it a pair of 3-0 comebacks.

Jesus

Lebron
    Participant

I walked away from that game at 2-0.  Unreal.  Luckily I DVR’d the game so I can burn through it later.  Wow.  Wonder if Kane will be available for the final.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

The great thing about that Sean McVay article was that they didn’t spend one syllable talking about the Rams offense.

Lebron
    Participant

Negotiations between the Los Angeles Lakers and Ty Lue have reached an impasse without a deal to make him the franchise’s next head coach, league sources tell ESPN.

Sounds like James has the next topic for The Shop.

Big Fat O
    Participant

What I learned on the ride home is Kyrie is the cause of everything. When he’s gone everything will be fine, Tatum and Haywood will score, Rozier will be an all star, they’ll play defense.

Only person who made sense was Fraudway and when he makes sense we should be concerned.

Fred West Lynn
    Participant

That Blue Jacket player should have started bleeding when McAvoy hit him. That gets the refs attention like nothing else and always get at least 4 minutes. Same for when Bishop was lying on his back in agony the other night, if he had somehow been cut they’d have blown the play dead and St. Louis would not have scored. The Bruins should draft somebody with hemophilia to draw cheap 5 minute majors in close games.

Bring back bladeing! Appoint Dusty Rhodes the Cconditioning coach.”

chicowalker
    Participant

Gutless bullshit. Late era Pete Carroll. I’m sick

Humphrey
    Participant

What I learned on the ride home is Kyrie is the cause of everything. When he’s gone everything will be fine, Tatum and Haywood will score, Rozier will be an all star, they’ll play defense.

Only person who made sense was Fraudway and when he makes sense we should be concerned.

I want to see Rozier back less than I want another season of the Kyrie saga. Did anyone on the team have more $ on the line and perform worse?

Coma
    Participant

Gutless bullshit. Late era Pete Carroll. I’m sick

You’re missing the big picture from last night: The Red Sox are back to .500! Hope springs eternal! The grand old game is just getting started!

Hacksaw
    Participant

Did Joe Theismann break up with Kathy Lee Gifford via fax?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar