Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/6-5/12/2019 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 157 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 158 total)
  • Author

chicowalker
    Participant

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190509/cape-cods-only-strip-club-to-close

RIP Zachary’s.  Only went to this place once but it will be (foggily) remembered fondly :blink: :ph34r:

Along the same lines, I heard “Eternal Flame” on the radio and dimly recall a BSMW spoof. Chico lampooning Fatty’s Favre love, or was that a different spoof altogether?

jforb
    Participant

One of the most embarrassing Celtics seasons ever — the only recent comparisons in this town were the Chicken-and-Beer Red Sox, and Bobby Valentine — finally concluded last night in Milwaukee with a complete no-show by the Celtics

Second round of the playoffs is one of the worst seasons ever? It gets dumber too.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

One of the most embarrassing Celtics seasons ever — the only recent comparisons in this town were the Chicken-and-Beer Red Sox, and Bobby Valentine — finally concluded last night in Milwaukee with a complete no-show by the Celtics

Second round of the playoffs is one of the worst seasons ever? It gets dumber too.

Is that CHB? The baseball crutch tends to make me think so. I vividly recall a four-game sweep — by the Bucks — of the 1982-83 Celtics (who went 56-26). That was worse, I think. It was the end for Bill Fitch and the beginning of the K.C. Jones era. I forget: was this the year Bird was playing with a broken hand?

1 user thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Is that CHB? The baseball crutch tends to make me think so. I vividly recall a four-game sweep — by the Bucks — of the 1982-83 Celtics (who went 56-26). That was worse, I think. It was the end for Bill Fitch and the beginning of the K.C. Jones era. I forget: was this the year Bird was playing with a broken hand?

Almost

Irving may have been breathtaking when he was engaged on the court, but he lacked all of the qualities needed to be an accountable leader. So that was the biggest mistake. But then, Ainge decided to leave the team intact at the trade deadline and not to either trade Irving, or make things easier on Stevens by contracting the roster.

From making Hayward an immediate starter — come on, everyone knows parents have to treat their sons the worst in front of the team — and questionable lineup choices, to his refusal to fill the leadership void by assigning roles on this team, Stevens showed he was not ready to lead a team with huge expectations and too much talent. He’s a long ways from Butler and those underdog Celtics teams.

chicowalker
    Participant

So what’s the path forward? Kyrie/try for AD or play the kids?  Latter has no chance for a championship in the next couple of years, but probably won’t make for such a foul experience

Big Fat O
    Participant

It’s safe to say Ainge would have made some moves at the deadline if he wasn’t gunning for Davis. I think he knew there were issues with chemistry and sacrificed this year for a run at Davis.

Kyrie didn’t play well but no one else did either. I don’t know how much you can blame him for the rest of the team sucking. If he stays he needs to stop talking.

If Kyrie goes forget Davis or any other big name. Just expect the 6-7 seed and hope the youngsters improve.

The media notion that Kyrie leaves and everything will be fine is a bunch of BS.

GusChiggins
    Participant

The Celtics season reminds me of the 2009 Patriots season. Let’s revisit…

4 users thanked author for this post.

Nick B
    Participant

It’s safe to say Ainge would have made some moves at the deadline if he wasn’t gunning for Davis. I think he knew there were issues with chemistry and sacrificed this year for a run at Davis.

Kyrie didn’t play well but no one else did either. I don’t know how much you can blame him for the rest of the team sucking. If he stays he needs to stop talking.

If Kyrie goes forget Davis or any other big name. Just expect the 6-7 seed and hope the youngsters improve.

The media notion that Kyrie leaves and everything will be fine is a bunch of BS.

No one has ever accused the Boston Media as being smart.

Humphrey
    Participant

I was thinking of that series last night. Don Nelson was the Bucks’ coach and it seems like he relished rubbing it in (maybe he thought Red should have hired him as coach at some point), not that the Celts didn’t deserve it. The Celts had Bird, Parish, McHale and Maxwell; sure, there were weaknesses in the backcourt (Tiny was DUN) but you shouldn’t lose 4 straight with those guys.

And, yes, the players tuned out Fitch and Red fired him.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Bird broke a knuckle in high school and said his touch/feel was never the same.  Don’t recall a broken hand that year.

That team more or less ran its course, specifically with Fitch.  You can only take guys like that in small doses then it stops working.  Tiny was getting older.  Bucks were good enough to beat them, Sixers were very good.  Plus that was the last year of the mini series where you played a best of 3 in the first round if you weren’t a division winner.  They had a tough mini series against Atlanta that year right before the Bucks series.  Promote KC, trade Robey for DJ, PTT.

Lebron
    Participant

I’m all set with Anthony Davis.  I can’t fathom having a Lebron buddy always looking longingly to the west.  Plus his whole weirdo “I love all franchises!” statements are weirder than anything Kyrie says.  Well, if you love all franchises, what’s wrong with the one you currently play with?  Or I’m supposed to think you’d be ecstatic with a trade to Minnesota or Memphis?

Humphrey
    Participant

FYI the broken hand most people remember was due to an alleged bar fight during (or right before) the playoffs in 1985 (they lost to the Lakers in 6 games)

Coma
    Participant

As long as you didn’t make “No Hottakes” one of the pillars of your business, it’s not an outlandish statement to make.

I’m far from a knowledgeable NBA fan, but I don’t think it’s crazy to believe that this Celtics team, on paper, should have performed better than they did. Still, losing to the #1 seed in the conference as #4 seed doesn’t qualify this as “one of the most embarrassing…seasons ever.”

Lebron
    Participant

Rozier sounds stable

Terry Rozier to @YahooSports: “I don’t give a f**k what nobody say, I sacrificed the most out of anybody.”

Participant

Thoughts and Prayers Magician Beard.

Zachary’s Pub has been sold and will shut down within 60 days.

EDIT:  Chico had it first, lap taken.

Hacksaw, I believe it was Kathy Lee Crosby Theismann dumped via fax.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  02062.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Considering the story, don’t take a lap. Take a lap dance.

Not that that’s a bad thing. :smile:

4 users thanked author for this post.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Biggest problem in this town is the media doesn’t like superstars unless the conform to how the media thinks they should act.

All superstars outside of Bird and Garnet (I think they were afraid of him) all take heat. We have the GOAT for a coach and QB and they get crap.

Unfortunately this feeds the fans who think these guys have to go.

Nick B
    Participant

Biggest problem in this town is the media doesn’t like superstars unless the conform to how the media thinks they should act.

All superstars outside of Bird and Garnet (I think they were afraid of him) all take heat. We have the GOAT for a coach and QB and they get crap.

as true as this statement is. the radio misfits will tell you that talking about winning is boring.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Humphrey
    Participant

as true as this statement is. the radio misfits will tell you that talking about winning is boring.

Felger said something to the effect that he wanted the next qb to not be like Matt Millen because there would be no interest in his show…but someone like Matthew Stafford, who never seems to get over the hump but would spark a lot of interest (postive and negative).

Big Fat O
    Participant

Larry Bird would probably get shit if he played today. No one is good enough for these guys other than themselves.

jforb
    Participant

Jim Fowler won’t be down for next week’s Scandals and Animals.

Participant

“You have to answer for Zdeno, Carlo”

thatsnotwhatisaid
    Participant

I agree with all of this but I’m also done with Kyrie.  If Al stays I’m in for Horford, Hayward and the young guys.

Participant

“The media — especially local — will continue to document the journey hoping to get more answers from Marchand. It’s our job to get the best answers possible from Marchand, Patrice Bergeron, Tuukka Rask, Zdeno Chara, Bruce Cassidy, and the rest of the members inside the locker room. At times, we get great material about a given topic. Other times not so much.”

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar