Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/6-5/12/2019 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 157 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  Fred West Lynn 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 158 total)
  • Author

jforb
    Participant

Pretty simple, ask good questions, get good answers.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Pretty simple, ask good questions, get good answers.

Naw. That’s too hard for them. Better off trying to provoke the players and coaches. Who in the USA heard of Kyle Whatsisname from the CBC until he trolled Marchand? I’ll bet FS1 and ESPN have both contacted his agent …..

Coma
    Participant

“The media — especially local — will continue to document the journey hoping to get more answers from Marchand. It’s our job to get the best answers possible from Marchand, Patrice Bergeron, Tuukka Rask, Zdeno Chara, Bruce Cassidy, and the rest of the members inside the locker room. At times, we get great material about a given topic. Other times not so much.”

I was going to guess that was from Bedard, but then I remembered his hyper-local site doesn’t cover the Bruins. It turns out it was written by Tim Rosenthal on Boston.com. I just hope that when Tim, or some other media member, is accepting his Medal of Honor, he takes the time to remember the real heroes; those journalists who fell on the sidelines, the locker rooms, the hallways, or the conference rooms at stadiums across the country and never made it back home.

Lebron
    Participant

It’s a dumb premise anyhow, you can’t control answers to questions.   You ask people questions and they answer or don’t answer.  Maybe your question isn’t a good one, whether it be how you ask it or what words you use.  Maybe who you’re asking doesn’t understand your question or doesn’t have the answer you want.  Any way you slice it, it’s out of your hands anyway.

A few years back there was a radio show here and the hosts were new partners.  The one host mentions he is getting married soon, second marriage for him.  The other host then tries to joke with him saying why would you get married again, probably along the lines of 2 guys yucking it up and ball and chain type stuff.  The host who was the butt of the joke didn’t take kindly to the joke at all, went to management and tried to undo the partnership, then spent the next 6 or so months clearly not getting along with the guy until they finally buried it.  Reminded me of Marchand and this reporter guy, the guy tried to make a joke at Marchand’s expense that Marchand didn’t like.  He’s mad at the guy, he’s not going to pretend to like him and therefore he’s not going to act nice and engage.  He’s going to give simple short answers with a very clear “are we done here?” vibe.  It shouldn’t be unexpected.  And he’s not calling the guy an asshole or insulting his family live on the air.  No one makes my job easy, I doubt anyone here has people at their office that go out of their way to make their jobs easier.  And if you make my job harder or whatever else, I’m not going to give you much else other than the bare minimum that’s required.  Why would anyone think that they’re supposed to get handed information or whatever to make their job easier especially if they went out of their way to make that person mad?  Here’s a crazy thought, maybe the reporter should say to Marchand, off air or on air who cares, hey, sorry, I was trying to make a joke and it clearly didn’t work and I didn’t mean to make you mad.  I don’t have much doubt that Marchand would forgive him and bury it.  Even if you don’t think you did anything wrong, the point is to apologize if what you said made the guy mad.  But no, instead it’s Marchand who is supposed to apologize or ‘be better.’

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Conversely I see that Jaylen Brown apologized to fans for their season or whatever.  Fuck that.  You don’t owe fans or anyone else other than yourselves a god damned thing.

Feejis
    Participant

These guys are terrible tonight with the puck. I’m sure the ice is awful but it’s ugly so far. Not a good first 15 mins.

Big Fat O
    Participant

I don’t understand why any player or coach talks beyond we have to play better. They will never say what the media wants to hear so their works will be twisted.

Perfect example was the other night when Kyrie said Who cares. Rich Felger took it as he doesn’t care at all. When Stale played the entire clip Kyrie really said who cares in response to someone asking him about him shooting crappy in the series. A text book BB answer where he says you look forward. However Mini Felger was having none of it and said Kyrie doesn’t care and that’s it.

The beat writers don’t get ugly but the Shanks of the media and the radio guys are crawling on their bellies.

I never knew Ben Watson was a Deflategate truther.

Claude45
    Participant

So TEC is beating the Patriots/Belichick was unprepared at WR last year and he’s unprepared at WR and TE this year. If only Belichick wouldn’t be so arrogant and put together a nice string of 2 win season to get some top draft picks and get prepared at those positions.

I’m not to bother looking it up but I’m pretty sure he was a “Why waste a second round pick on Jimmy G. Get someone in here to win now” guy. So just prepare the right amount, at the right time and the right positions in a perfectly timed roster balance so TEC can be happy. After all, this player acquisition/evaluation stuff is super easy. I love the cherry picking of the “Chiefs are better at tight end than the Pats so the Pats didn’t plan well”.  Yes, the Chiefs have Kelce but they have a 5 year journey man, Blake Bell, backing him up according to the internet. If Kelce goes down, the drop off will be dramatic and the Pats TE situation would look better than KC.

So maybe, just spit balling here, there was not a Kelce like option available unless they trade a ton to move up and get one of the Iowa TEs (no guarantees on either one being great). Most likely leaving them “unprepared” at other roster spots. Instead, they stay put, take a player in the first round at a position they need (almost like roster planning) and pick up a couple experienced lesser TEs to try and protect themselves. They also pick up LaCosse who looks better than the Chiefs 2nd tight end. Lastly, a free agent signing, Beck, who looks like he could contribute. At least as well as the Chiefs 2nd string guy. If the Pats had timed it right and picked up Jared Cook, none of this TE hand wringing would be happening. I like Cook and wish he was here but if you think he’s the difference in the Pats season, I don’t think you’ve been paying attention.

Big Fat O
    Participant

For 20 years BB picks players that fit into the system he runs. I’m sure the Iowa TEs would be great but he didn’t feel they had everything he was looking for.

For some reason the media doesn’t understand this and wants BB to pick players the media likes with no understanding of the system he runs and whether the player is a good fit.

All this crap just fuels the Felgers and Coach Betards of the world.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I’m not even close to being an almost-an-almost-a-coach, but it would not surprise me if Belichick and McDaniels converted a LB or even an agile and undersized lineman to TE who can block like a bastard and created an offense that took advantage of his unique skillset. Until there was Gronk (indeed, Gronk and Hernandez), who would have described the Pats as a TE-driven offense, with guys like Wiggins, Fauria, Graham and Watson at the position?

I have no idea who Brady’s weaponzzzzzzzzz are going to ultimately be this coming season, and it’s probably true that they need more than Harry and (if he comes back) Gordon as their wideouts. But isn’t it fashionable now to say that the Pats’ offensive design and game planning are designed to fit their personnel (and attack each opponent’s unique weaknesses)? If they have a “System,” it’s Tom Brady.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

These guys are terrible tonight with the puck. I’m sure the ice is awful but it’s ugly so far. Not a good first 15 mins.

Why is the Garden ice so shitty? When was the last C’s game? Sunday?

Coma
    Participant

I never knew Ben Watson was a Deflategate truther.

Did he make comments other than his very long facebook post?

Considering Watson’s background, it’s a puzzling view. By all accounts, he’s a very bright guy, he’s been involved in the NFLPA since 2010 and is currently one of the organization’s VPs. Most importantly, he was on the receiving end of allegedly deflated footballs for 4 seasons, never noticed and, apparently, never heard anything about a football tampering scheme. He doesn’t seem like a candidate to accept the league’s version of events without skepticism, but he has.

Just the Facebook post, which came back in mid-2015, so probably a kneejerk response right after the Wells Report came out and in advance of all the science rebuttals.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Pats have not issued anything official. but per their site the assistant coaching staff has taken shape.

The coaches gave interviews today during rookie minicamp. On offense, Joe Judge, the ST coordinator, will double as the WR coach. No mention of Mick Lombardi (son of Mike) becoming assistant QB coach; he was hired in February from the Jets. On defense, Bret Bielema will be D-line coach, DeMarcus Covington will be outside LB coach (Mayo will take inside LBs), and Mike Pellegrino will be CB coach.

Brian Belichick not mentioned (Steve returns as coach of safeties) so maybe he’s moving into scouting, like his grandfather. Carmen Bricillo and Cole Popovich also not mentioned.

I love how the Pats handle this announcement. Some of the coaches made a point of saying, “It’s not about the title. It’s about the job and the opportunity.” Kind of like trying to have the media figure out who was in the Soviet Politburo by seeing who was standing with Stalin on the reviewing stand to watch the May Day parade. :lol:

We should bring in Steve Grogan to be quarterback coach!

@TonyMassarotti

If I’m the Celtics and I want Kyrie back, here’s what I do: I hire an assistant coach who has some cred and who can help keep Kyrie in line. Maybe James Posey. Maybe someone like Kendrick Perkins. Someone who can help Stevens and has some juice in the locker room.

What’s troubling are all the replies saying, “Good idea, Mazz!”

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Same old Rockets.

Humphrey
    Participant

Same old Rockets.

Houston was up 6 with the ball in the 4th quarter with the crowd in a frenzy. They had a 3 on 1 and instead of taking the layup, tried to set up a 3 point attempt; ended up taking a wild drive to the hoop. Next time down a dumbass 3 attempt. The rest of the game was all Golden State, really.

The main culprit on both trips? Why, old friend Gerald Green.

Rickkyboy
    Participant

After 3 years of unfettered access, my fookin employer blocked the site. 😡

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Same old Rockets.

Houston was up 6 with the ball in the 4th quarter with the crowd in a frenzy. They had a 3 on 1 and instead of taking the layup, tried to set up a 3 point attempt; ended up taking a wild drive to the hoop. Next time down a dumbass 3 attempt. The rest of the game was all Golden State, really.

The main culprit on both trips? Why, old friend Gerald Green.

Curry in foul trouble and scoreless in the first half and the game was tied at halftime. Guys who hadn’t played in weeks just going to the hoop and overpowering the Rockets. What a waste of a special opportunity.

Lefty

Same old Rockets.

I’ll be waiting until they produce the ACTUAL scores based on Houston’s analysis of calls made/not made by the referees and the bajillion points they would have scored had those calls been made/not made.   I don’t think should be congratulating Golden State just yet.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Attention: Dokken will be playing the Plaza at the MGM Springfield tonight.

I will be staking out the nearest Cumberland Farms waiting to collect a lost wallet with $800 inside.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

BrianInLA
    Participant

I guess the Bruins beating the Sharks would be close enough for a third straight Boston over LA/Cal so sign me up for that result please.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I guess the Bruins beating the Sharks would be close enough for a third straight Boston over LA/Cal so sign me up for that result please.

Two World Series wins over the Cardinals plus SB 36.

That has the cadence of a post from (the other) Brian. Apologies.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Yahtzee.

BrianInLA
    Participant

The rubes of St. Louis have nothing compared to the arrogance and preening of the folks of the west coast and any result that gets them close only to pull defeat from the jaws of bandwagon victory is okay in my book. If there really was a god the Dodgers would get to the next 55 World Series and lose all of them and the Lakers would always fall just short of the playoffs.

My perfect world request was that all four Boston sports teams would win four straight titals over LA franchises.  I blame the Lakers for that not happening.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar