Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/7/2018 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 56 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Callahardfoul 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Humphrey
    Participant

So which is the dominant theme today?

1.  The Bruins sucked and trade everyone

2.  The Sixers sucked and the Celtics are lucky…or you are a Green Teamer.

3.   Watch out for the Yankees who will never lose again.

Hacksaw
    Participant

You forgot the coach and QB do not get along, but we have no proof of this. This has to be the worst football dynasty of all time.

Kevin
    Participant

So which is the dominant theme today?

1. The Bruins sucked and trade everyone

2. The Sixers sucked and the Celtics are lucky…or you are a Green Teamer.

3. Watch out for the Yankees who will never lose again.

This presumes any sports will be discussed at all. Can you believe how management is screwing with Kirk again, and what the afternoon show said about him??

Participant

If you say “no complaints” after you spent a paragraph complaining does it count?

“A few weeks ago my wife, Ann, and I were on the train from New York to have dinner with friends in New Jersey. A few minutes from Montclair, I saw on my phone that Saints owner Tom Benson died. I was the only one on our staff who knew Benson even a little, so I knew it was up to me to write the deadline obit. I sat outside the restaurant thumb-typing the obit on my phone. No complaints. That’s the life.”

Kevin
    Participant

Also, Bertie’s MMQB deal is up on July 1st.

🎶🎶On the road again… 🎶🎶

Humphrey
    Participant

If you say “no complaints” after you spent a paragraph complaining does it count? “A few weeks ago my wife, Ann, and I were on the train from New York to have dinner with friends in New Jersey. A few minutes from Montclair, I saw on my phone that Saints owner Tom Benson died. I was the only one on our staff who knew Benson even a little, so I knew it was up to me to write the deadline obit. I sat outside the restaurant thumb-typing the obit on my phone. No complaints. That’s the life.”

He didn’t put “where I live” in the “on the train” sentence”.  Remarkable restraint.

chicowalker
    Participant

he mentions not being able to keep his SI twitter account.  I wonder if it would become available and WHO MIGHT SQUAT ON IT, SPEAKIN’ OF SQUATTING…

Nick B
    Participant

Sixers’ Joel Embiid on officiating after Game 3 loss to Celtics: “I don’t see how it’s possible for someone to guard me and have zero fouls. I thought a couple plays it wasn’t fair… I’m too big not to be fouled every time I go to the basket or post up.”   :lol:

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Speaking of Bertie and Fatty,

@albertbreer Albert Breer Nugget from @SI_PeterKing’s column (https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb …) I’d heard too — Pats’ interest in Rashaan Evans at 23 was mostly smoke. So why no D for NE? Bc of how it fell. I’ve heard Leighton Vander Esch would’ve been in play at 23, and Jaire Alexander at 31. Both were gone.

:weei:

Danny Duberstein
    Participant

Sixers’ Joel Embiid on officiating after Game 3 loss to Celtics: “I don’t see how it’s possible for someone to guard me and have zero fouls. I thought a couple plays it wasn’t fair… I’m too big not to be fouled every time I go to the basket or post up.” 😆

You mean the 10 year vet, who carries himself on and off the court with 0.0 attitude, might have gotten an advantage over the entitled twat in his second year who has a tude the size of Delaware?  You are not LeBron.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

So Bruins fans, can you educate this playoffs tourist on the current state of the team? It seems to me that they have a mix of exciting youth, prime and washed up veterans, and a goalie who isn’t quite what he needs to be. Is the future bright, bleak, or in the middle?

jforb
    Participant

Would 6 new subscribers have covered costs if the Bruins made it to game 6?

GusChiggins
    Participant

If you say “no complaints” after you spent a paragraph complaining does it count? “A few weeks ago my wife, Ann, and I were on the train from New York to have dinner with friends in New Jersey. A few minutes from Montclair, I saw on my phone that Saints owner Tom Benson died. I was the only one on our staff who knew Benson even a little, so I knew it was up to me to write the deadline obit. I sat outside the restaurant thumb-typing the obit on my phone. No complaints. That’s the life.”

That’s the worst humblebrag ever. I knew him a little.

jforb
    Participant

Also his death wasn’t exactly a surprise, easily could have had most of the story prewritten.

Lebron
    Participant

Why would a plucky microsite focused on football write an obituary?  And what deadline? A plucky microsite is supposed to be agile enough to post anything at any time.

Lefty

So Bruins fans, can you educate this playoffs tourist on the current state of the team? It seems to me that they have a mix of exciting youth, prime and washed up veterans, and a goalie who isn’t quite what he needs to be. Is the future bright, bleak, or in the middle?

I thought they had a damned good year and played well ahead of where I thought they were going to be, given the amount of youth they were putting into large roles.   No one likes to see them eliminated and playing so poorly at the end, but they really did well on the whole.   I think your description of youth, prime and washed up is pretty accurate.   I think they have more young talent possibly on the way.  They have about $9M in cap space, but need to sign or replace lower tier guys like Wingels, Acciari, both Nashs, Holden and Khudobin.   They should be able to do that.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see them take a step back next year because of all the youth and the need to see if they carry forward the way they played this year.   They also won a TON of one goal games and overtime/last comeback games this year.   That may not repeat next year.    On the whole, I think they are headed in the right direction but this year may have been a bit of an early accomplishment in a longer rebuild.   Still have major talent, but have work to do.

Tuukka is not going anywhere, most likely.  Makes $7M for the next three seasons and has a modified no trade.  He can list 8 teams to whom he would accept a trade.  Doesn’t seem likely.

Participant

Wouldn’t the bolt of lightning break the helmet?

Why is the bear wearing the OJ gloves?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I think the future if fairly bright for the B’s. That is assuming that the young guys they have now keep progressing and don’t suddenly fall off the map. At the time adding in Rick Nash seemed like a good idea but the guy didn’t really do much while he was here. Tukka is a solid B+ goalie but never seems to really up his game come play-off time. At this point in his career that is what he is.

Chief
    Participant

I really like where they are.  Prime vets (Marchand, Bergeron, Kreji) young stars (Pastrnak, McEvoy).  Solid young pieces  (Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, Donato, Grzelcyk and more kids in Providence).  They also have a stable of serviceable vets who can be useful if used properly — McQuaid, Miller, Schaller, Acciari.

Not sure who the “washed up vets” you are referring to.  Chara?  They have him on a 1yr, $5m contracft next season.  Good deal for what you are getting.  I’m not sure what they have in Backes.   $6m is a lot for a guy who ended the playoffs on the 4th line, but he has been a useful piece this season.

Rask was good, not great.  He’s not the problem.

They really aren’t losing anything this offseason.  I think Donato steps right in for Rick Nash, who never really got it going again after the concussion.  Which is a shame, because I think he could have been a gamechanger.  Riley Nash is also a UFA.  I think they got as much out him this past season as you could hope for from a guy making league min.  I think the hope is Karlsson can play that role next year if they can’t resign him.

Lefty

Wouldn’t the bolt of lightning break the helmet? Why is the bear wearing the OJ gloves?

So insensitive to David Backes.    :wag:

Claude45
    Participant

Speaking of Bertie and Fatty, @albertbreer Albert Breer Nugget from @SI_PeterKing’s column (https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb …) I’d heard too — Pats’ interest in Rashaan Evans at 23 was mostly smoke. So why no D for NE? Bc of how it fell. I’ve heard Leighton Vander Esch would’ve been in play at 23, and Jaire Alexander at 31. Both were gone. :weei:

I heard Bradley Chubb would’ve been in play at 23, and Saquon Barkley at 31. Both were gone.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Someone on here said it best: that fat old troll from the Attleboro Sun Chronicle has broken more wicker chairs than Breer has stories.

Lefty

I really like where they are. Prime vets (Marchand, Bergeron, Kreji) young stars (Pastrnak, McEvoy). Solid young pieces (Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, Donato, Grzelcyk and more kids in Providence).

Almost full agreeance, Chief.   Minor difference is I think more of DeBrusk than just a solid piece.  I think that kid has serious star ability and he seemed to figure it out late in the season.   I expect him to come back physically stronger next year and think he may really have a great year.

Lebron
    Participant

This is an NFL column, and I’ll get to the news of the moment in a few paragraphs.

But first, I’d like to talk about me a bit…

Suzy
    Participant

This is an NFL column, and I’ll get to the news of the moment in a few paragraphs.

But first, I’d like to talk about me a bit…

:lol:

There are no words.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar