Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/7/2018 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 56 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Callahardfoul 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Chief
    Participant

So Bruins fans, can you educate this playoffs tourist on the current state of the team? It seems to me that they have a mix of exciting youth, prime and washed up veterans, and a goalie who isn’t quite what he needs to be. Is the future bright, bleak, or in the middle?

I really like where they are. Prime vets (Marchand, Bergeron, Kreji) young stars (Pastrnak, McEvoy). Solid young pieces (Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, Donato, Grzelcyk and more kids in Providence).

Almost full agreeance, Chief. Minor difference is I think more of DeBrusk than just a solid piece. I think that kid has serious star ability and he seemed to figure it out late in the season. I expect him to come back physically stronger next year and think he may really have a great year.

I completely agree.  I was just trying not come off a total homer/overly optimistic.   Same with Donato.  I see huge potential in both.

Lebron
    Participant

“It’s my job in the fourth quarter to close it.”

—LeBron James, after he banked in a running shot from a difficult angle at the buzzer to beat Toronto 105-103 Saturday night.

We are not worthy.

A basketball player makes a basketball shot in a basketball game and Pete thinks we should all feel terrible about our existence and off ourselves.   What a fucking loser

I think for the first couple of weeks in the 2018 season, I’ll be sure to find the third-team CBS game. I want to hear Bruce Arians with Greg Gumbel and Trent Green.

Media mentality.  I don’t care about the game, I care about the announcing crew.  Anyone who thinks like that should do the basketball bit and off yourself.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Wouldn’t the bolt of lightning break the helmet? Why is the bear wearing the OJ gloves?

Is the bear’s skate entangled in the blue line? What is going on here?

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Since the ratings weren’t low enough on tv for the last olympics…. “I may be doing a few other things at NBC in the Olympic sphere or other places.”

I know Bertie had at least 3 mocks on the microsite.  “The 24/7-ness of the job, though, has worn on me, as has some of the silly and invented stuff that populates the football media (e.g., 2019 mock drafts 360 days before the 2019 draft).  The monster must be fed daily.  Enough.”

He’s creepy.   “I almost made it all the way through my talk to the staff Thursday afternoon without breaking, but when I got to our youngest staffer, 24-year-old Kalyn Kahler, it got tough.  She came on staff three years ago, straight out of Northwester, as my editorial assistant/office manager/fledgling writer, and she’s grown into a promising young multimedia presences.  She oversaw our Football in America series last fall, handles much of our social media, and has written some strong pieces for us.  She never has a bad day.  She never says, I’m to busy.  When I got to Kalyn, it sort of all hit me.  All these young people, all of these young women too, so many of these young people different from my generation, all ready.  It’s just cool to see.  So I choked up a bit.”

Lebron
    Participant

Memo for next year, with the Bruins out of the playoffs: Stop being bush-league, Brad Marchand. Licking opponents in the Stanley Cup playoffs? Gordie Howe’s rolling over in his grave.

As noted on Twitter, the Venn on people disgusted with Marchand but still rubbing one out to Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale ‘owning the plate’ or beaning guys that had the audacity to hit a home run is a perfect circle.

jforb
    Participant

If I stay, their development gets stunted because I’m the 225-pound gorilla.

Uh?

Major Intangibles
    Participant

This is an NFL column, and I’ll get to the news of the moment in a few paragraphs.

But first, I’d like to talk about me a bit…

Pete holds Pete in pretty high regard.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Lebron
    Participant

Nice cover with ‘oh, and women too’ like no doubt he had her fetching coffee, dry cleaning, lunch, told her to change her perfume and whatever else.  Never too busy!

Feejis
    Participant

So Bruins fans, can you educate this playoffs tourist on the current state of the team? It seems to me that they have a mix of exciting youth, prime and washed up veterans, and a goalie who isn’t quite what he needs to be. Is the future bright, bleak, or in the middle?

I really like where they are. Prime vets (Marchand, Bergeron, Kreji) young stars (Pastrnak, McEvoy). Solid young pieces (Carlo, DeBrusk, Heinen, Donato, Grzelcyk and more kids in Providence).

Almost full agreeance, Chief. Minor difference is I think more of DeBrusk than just a solid piece. I think that kid has serious star ability and he seemed to figure it out late in the season. I expect him to come back physically stronger next year and think he may really have a great year.

I completely agree. I was just trying not come off a total homer/overly optimistic. Same with Donato. I see huge potential in both.

Not to sound like an old douchey Gammons column, but consider the other young guys in the system as well (which is why I didn’t mind the pick in the Nash trade).

-Bjork started the year in Boston and then missed a lot of time.

-Senyhsyn had a full year in the AHL.

-Frederic came in and played well after the college season.

-Forsbacka-Karlsson, Cehalrik, Blidh are the 3rd/4th line type guys already.

-On defense Zboril had a good year as a 20 year old defenseman and they still have last years first round D as well. Couple other guys mixed in as well there that were higher picks the last 3-4 years.

a.paul
    Participant

Sixers’ Joel Embiid on officiating after Game 3 loss to Celtics: “I don’t see how it’s possible for someone to guard me and have zero fouls. I thought a couple plays it wasn’t fair… I’m too big not to be fouled every time I go to the basket or post up.” 😆

You mean the 10 year vet, who carries himself on and off the court with 0.0 attitude, might have gotten an advantage over the entitled twat in his second year who has a tude the size of Delaware? You are not LeBron.

:lol: :lol:    Beauty

Participant

How could the market “grow blase” when you’ve been telling us “Ozzie has a plan” for a generation?

“When I saw this pick, I said I bet this is about more than dissatisfaction with Flacco. It’s about making the team exciting again in a market that has grown blasé, and throwing some change-ups with an electric quarterback. ”

Plus, all these things do is spin around in cirlces.

Electric Football Quarterback

Coma
    Participant

Since the ratings weren’t low enough on tv for the last olympics…. “I may be doing a few other things at NBC in the Olympic sphere or other places.” I know Bertie had at least 3 mocks on the microsite. “The 24/7-ness of the job, though, has worn on me, as has some of the silly and invented stuff that populates the football media (e.g., 2019 mock drafts 360 days before the 2019 draft). The monster must be fed daily. Enough.” He’s creepy. “I almost made it all the way through my talk to the staff Thursday afternoon without breaking, but when I got to our youngest staffer, 24-year-old Kalyn Kahler, it got tough. She came on staff three years ago, straight out of Northwester, as my editorial assistant/office manager/fledgling writer, and she’s grown into a promising young multimedia presences. She oversaw our Football in America series last fall, handles much of our social media, and has written some strong pieces for us. She never has a bad day. She never says, I’m to busy. When I got to Kalyn, it sort of all hit me. All these young people, all of these young women too, so many of these young people different from my generation, all ready. It’s just cool to see. So I choked up a bit.”

“a promising young multimedia presenses”

I’m to busy

Those are all fixed now, but I would expect such a stellar editorial assistant to find stuff like that before the article goes live.

chicowalker
    Participant

So if Breer takes over do they steer the training camp fart wagon 1000 miles out of the way because Maurice Clarett is doing an in-store at a Columbus- area Lids?

Made the mistake of clicking an EEI podcast Dick Teeth does. Among his other crimes against the English language, add that he pronounces “theater” as “theerter”.

GusChiggins
    Participant

Speaking of Arians, it’s too bad the quarterback whisperer couldn’t work with Rosen. Hoo boy, it would’ve been a modern day Shula/Marino.

Lebron
    Participant

I imagine it would be the 2 of them doing competing Most Interesting Man In The World ad campaigns.

Lebron
    Participant

Speaking of interesting men I see Stan Van Gundy got shitcanned.  Again.

Humphrey
    Participant

Speaking of interesting men I see Stan Van Gundy got shitcanned. Again.

So what don’t they know about Stan Van Gundy that they didn’t know when the regular season ended?    Strange to wait like that.

Lebron
    Participant

Sounds like the standard owner wants changes including staff/front office moves and Van Gundy refused.  Because nothing says you know what you’re doing like missing the playoffs 2 straight years.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Not to sound like Tommy but the refs are going to make sure Phili has a chance if it stays close.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Not to sound like Tommy but the refs are going to make sure Phili has a chance if it stays close.

David Stern still calling in favors somehow?

Those technicals were stupid ridiculous.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Yahtzee.

Yahtzee
    Participant

ITT seems to be taking it well on Twitter.  He’s not wrong.

Feejis
    Participant

Is that McConnell guy on the spectrum?

Yahtzee
    Participant

Is that McConnell guy on the spectrum?

It’s the Wells Fargo Center now.

/Regular Brian

Yahtzee
    Participant

C’mon Caps.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar