Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/8/17 Daily Thread. C's Series Turns Ugly

This topic contains 54 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Yahtzee 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author

a.paul
    Participant

Of course the NBA couldn’t have a sweep. But is there any real way the C’s lose Game 5?

a.paul
    Participant

And this is why I still love Curran, even as he seemingly flirts with the douche-rail:

But it did end. The Shakespearean subplots to the 2004 season — the aborted trade for A-Rod, followed by his neatly fitting into the villain suit once worn by Reggie/Thurman/George/Billy, the addition of Curt Schilling, the Nomar trade — built to an ALCS climax that defies explanation. It was cleansing and catharsis and people burbling “Now I can die in peace!” so often, I really started to root for it. It’s not going to be the “same” as it was in the late ‘70s, or 14 years ago.

Humphrey
    Participant

Of course the NBA couldn’t have a sweep. But is there any real way the C’s lose Game 5?

I don’t see how they let #12 dominate the game again.   Would be surprised if that happened, although not having Larkin around hurts in that regard.
    Bad as everything went last night, the Celts still had their chances.

chicowalker
    Participant

you look at the total fouls yesterday, and it was 28-23 Celtics, not a huge difference.  Master class in the refs evening things out- 9 of the Sixers 23 fouls were called in the last 9 minutes of the game, when the celtics were generally between 10-16 points down and it made less of a difference.  That Smart got a foul called on him for having the temerity to let Ben Simmons fall on top of him chasing the loose ball… :dry:

NASCL
    Participant

Claude45
    Participant

All signs are pointing to Andy Hart getting a full time gig at WEEI replacing Death Cat. I guess he’ll work cheap but this is the best they can do? Really?

Participant

“Jersey, an English aristocrat, benefited from the lucrative English slave trade.”

Didn’t the visionary publisher’s husband know this beforehand?

RedSeat
    Participant

Was the missed offensive interference call the worst you’ve ever seen? I know that some foul calls/non-calls end up being terrible upon review, but usually there’s embellishment, or the ref was screened, or at a bad angle. Embiid touching the ball above the cylinder was obvious anywhere in the building.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Reference made to these tweets on SOSH and from this OC Register piece.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Hacksaw
    Participant

Thats great the poker announcer getting his shots in.

chicowalker
    Participant

something something his ex wife! polite chuckle something something got rivered!

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I re-read the oral history of The National and apparently Norman Chad was once highly considered by his colleagues. Mike Lupica? Not so much.

Also on Twitter, Marchand called Haggerty a fat pig pretty much.

My agenda is truth.

InThisTown
    Participant

Not to go all Jocko but Embiid is every West African I’ve ever played pickup basketball with. Without exception.

Claude45
    Participant

Not to go all Jocko but Embiid is every West African I’ve ever played pickup basketball with. Without exception.

Refreshing and fun? According to the good folks in the sports media anyway.

chicowalker
    Participant

seconded, some of the Nigerian dudes who play at the JCC… :ohmy:

Bertie  Breer can confirm.

NASCL
    Participant

Mike from Woburn also had some unsolicited shots at Peter King.

Participant

“Having been in a position myself as a head coach, a lot of things are said about an organization, the coaching staff and the owner. Some of the things are just flat-out not true. Yet they get out and they get publicized because they make good headlines. The only thing you’ve got to do is watch the product on the field. When the season starts, all this offseason stuff, it doesn’t mean anything. Nothing.’’

Claude45
    Participant

I think Mike may want to stick to football.

Fultz played in only 14 games and I will admit to not breaking down the film but I pretty sure there wasn’t a lot of high leverage minutes. So now you want a guy who’s had the yips to come in cold and play a large role in an elimination game on the road. That’s without getting into the trade aspect of Tatum/Fultz.

I hope the Sixers are listening.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

“Jersey, an English aristocrat, benefited from the lucrative English slave trade.” Didn’t the visionary publisher’s husband know this beforehand?

“Just tell me the non-racist we can rename the street after!”

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

“Jersey, an English aristocrat, benefited from the lucrative English slave trade.” Didn’t the visionary publisher’s husband know this beforehand?

“Pizzutti Pie Alley?  Bwahahahahaha – but seriously Cwaig, Winda had no idea who john was when they met.”

Hacksaw
    Participant

Sam Kennedy “Mr. Henry, I know in my last review you ask that I speak up more in all things not baseball related…that being said may  I suggest we name the street John Henry Blvd for traffic going out and  Tom Werner Ave for traffic going in. We need to move on from the past and go with the present. Now lets get even with those Yankees! Reverse the Curse!”

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Peter King is a towering figure in only one field of endeavor I can think of: Spewing out bullshit that miraculously goes unchallenged.

Never knew Norman Chad felt the same way about Fatty. Goes back a ways.

chicowalker
    Participant

Not going to bother trying to find the tech thread- any recommendations for a fitbit type thing that is good for running/basketball and isn’t a watch?

Is Brown saying Fatty plagiarized here?

“Writing up the info you got from Matthew Slater” – what does that mean?

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

Who the heck gives a rat’s ass what player wore what number and who wore it previously?

jforb
    Participant

Not going to bother trying to find the tech thread- any recommendations for a fitbit type thing that is good for running/basketball and isn’t a watch?

Good timing

Feejis
    Participant

Who the heck gives a rat’s ass what player wore what number and who wore it previously?

I only care about honorable numbers.

Feejis
    Participant

Is Brown saying Fatty plagiarized here? “Writing up the info you got from Matthew Slater” – what does that mean?

I think thats what he’s saying. Brown maybe had the quote and PK used without attribution. Makes it seem like Slater said it to PK.

Humphrey
    Participant

I only care about honorable numbers.

Didn’t Washburn, who I generally have no problem with, write something a couple years ago saying the Celts should free up some numbers because free agents won’t be able to grab their favorite digits because there’s so many retired ones here?

a.paul
    Participant

God, not Andy Hart. Then again…’God, not anyone currently talking or writing in or near Boston’.

Then again, I’ve quit listening, why do I care anymore?

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Is Brown saying Fatty plagiarized here?

“Writing up the info you got from Matthew Slater” – what does that mean?

Ask him on Twitter. It’s the only place he seems to exist.

My agenda is truth.

Lefty

I see former Bruins’ coach – and Adolph Hitler doppelganger – Dave Lewis got fired as coach of a team in the middle of the World Hockey Championship.    They still have games to play and canned him anyway.

Seems to be the story of his career.  Every step of the way it is another kampf..

Participant

You know Gerry wishes Reimer were still alive so they could have gone over the Met Gala this morning.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Maybe the suspension made WEEI management realize nobody cared for that little shit to begin with.

Speaking of little shits, I heard yesterday that Adam Jones had a kid over the weekend.

My agenda is truth.

Lebron
    Participant

Former ESPN president John Skipper, who resigned in December amid what he later said was an attempted extortion plot by a cocaine dealer, has been hired as Executive Chairman of a London-based sports media company called Perform Group

His comp package is loosely defined as “a bunch of hookers and cocaine”

Lebron
    Participant

I see former Bruins’ coach – and Adolph Hitler doppelganger – Dave Lewis got fired as coach of a team in the middle of the World Hockey Championship. They still have games to play and canned him anyway. Seems to be the story of his career. Every step of the way it is another kampf..

That sounds like a Lou Lamoriello move.

chicowalker
    Participant

First time Jones tries to cradle that poor baby those matchstick arms of his are going to Dravecky in half

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I watched the first half of the game at a bar and the tv next to the Celtics was Sportscenter. Matthew Berry had a segment on top 10 fantasy QBs. Jimmy G was number 10, Luck was 9.

Also noticed Berry has some hipster doofus sidekick with sleeve tats and that shaved sides with a big, wavy part haircut.

My agenda is truth.

Yahtzee
    Participant

All signs are pointing to Andy Hart getting a full time gig at WEEI replacing Death Cat. I guess he’ll work cheap but this is the best they can do? Really?

They don’t care enough to do better.

Yahtzee
    Participant

I actually heard Sal Pal talking 76ers on Mike & Not Mike this morning. Some weird ESPN initiative?

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

You know Gerry wishes Reimer were still alive so they could have gone over the Met Gala this morning.

This and Lefty’s post about Dave Lewis* going back-to-back had me thinking about the phrase “there’s never ‘too many men on the ice’.”

(Not that there’s anything wrong with that.)    ;-)   :smile:

*Known during his Bruins’ tenure for his team’s sloppy on-the-fly changes and frequent TMM penalties.  Hmmm, “sloppy on-the-fly changes”?   :pk:   :lol:

Hacksaw
    Participant

I see former Bruins’ coach – and Adolph Hitler doppelganger – Dave Lewis got fired as coach of a team in the middle of the World Hockey Championship. They still have games to play and canned him anyway. Seems to be the story of his career. Every step of the way it is another kampf..

The #1 Paul Jones of Hockey.

Coma
    Participant

I actually heard Sal Pal talking 76ers on Mike & Not Mike this morning. Some weird ESPN initiative?

That’s because Sal is based in Philadelphia and is, through osmosis, an expert on all the teams in that city, not just the Eagles. If you have a question about the 76ers, Phillies, Flyers, Union, Wings, Fusion, all Temple and Villanova sports or Rocky, Sal can speak authoritatively on any of them.

I wonder how the NBA guys at ESPN feel about things like this or Schefter saying he learned everything he needed to know about the sport in his spare time.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Someone should save this one:

First-round draft pick Sam Darnold will lead the New York Jets to greatness, according to CEO Christopher Johnson, who said Tuesday the addition of the former USC star will be remembered as a turning point in franchise history.

“I think people are going to look back — I honestly think they’re going to look back 20 years from now and say this is the moment the Jets shifted into a new year, that they became a great team,” Johnson told reporters at a charity event in Manhattan.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

David Price scratched from tomorrow’s start, sent back to Boston for more tests on his pitching hand.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

a.paul
    Participant

David Price scratched from tomorrow’s start, sent back to Boston for more tests on his pitching hand.

I would not be upset by an insurance buy out of that contract.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

Someone should save this one:

First-round draft pick Sam Darnold will lead the New York Jets to greatness, according to CEO Christopher Johnson, who said Tuesday the addition of the former USC star will be remembered as a turning point in franchise history. “I think people are going to look back — I honestly think they’re going to look back 20 years from now and say this is the moment the Jets shifted into a new year, that they became a great team,” Johnson told reporters at a charity event in Manhattan.

SMASH CUT TO:

Sam Darnold is on the sidelines in a comically all covering FULL BODY CAST.

Christian Hackenberg is on the field, receives the snap, and is SMOTHERED by the entire Bills’ defense.

Fans in the stands have paper bags on their heads. They BOO.

ANNOUNCER: And that seals it! A 3-13 season for the Jets. We only hope that Darnold will be able to throw again by next year.

Cut to:

Christopher Johnson in the owner’s box, dejected.

CHRIS: It was supposed to be our time.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar