Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/1/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 98 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  LJSandwich 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

Celtics and Sox win.

Yet we’re punished with Tomase on the radio this morning.

Tom Pepper
    Participant

Has Fatty written the same post draft column every year now? Oh wow, so exciting! They wanted to draft this guy but they also wanted these other guys! Throw in some weird dialogue that I am going to assume is mostly inaccurate, and there you go.

Nick B
    Participant

I know its been said but “i’m really asking for a friend”.  He says Miniham is off, wonders if hes suspended

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I know its been said but “i’m really asking for a friend”. He says Miniham is off, wonders if hes suspended

If it’s for calling Bertrand fat, I’m going to say Entercom has a twitchy trigger.

middlebury03.5
    Participant

“Eighty-three bro hugs”

What a fuckin weirdo.

Fatty is without peer in his ability to see connections and coincidences where none really exist:

In the spring of 1979, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach/GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner. Entering the draft last week, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach and GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner.

When I pitched the inside story about the new 49ers regime’s first draft to Lynch at the NFL owners meetings in March, I explained the similarities between Bill Walsh’s start 38 years ago and the new start now. “You just gave me goose bumps,” Lynch said. And so this story was born.

The only real distinction in Fatty’s breathless litany of elements is the 30-something owner. A team coming off a 2-14 season with a new coach/GM and without a QB of the future – that’s the Browns every three years.

Of course, there is an almost mythological quality to this trade. Think of it. In 1979, Bill Walsh, with only veteran journeyman Steve DeBerg to give him a chance to win that season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, Joe Montana. In 2017, John Lynch, with only veteran journeyman Brian Hoyer to give him a chance to win this season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, C.J. Beathard.

“Oh my God,” Beathard said upon learning his link to Montana. “That is crazy. Wow. Joe Montana. Wow.”

Indeed.

Oh, for fuck’s sake. Now C.J. Beathard is Joe Montana because he was drafted in the third round? Fuck off, Fatty.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

With out looking I’m guessing that most of the media has put the Pats in the ‘draft losers’ basket because they only took 4 players in a historically deep draft while the Ravens and Steelers likely are in the ‘winners’ basket?

Kevin
    Participant

Mut and Tomase? Fuck you! :lol:

InThisTown
    Participant

The tone with with Fatty informed him of that is predictably enraging I’d imagine. No Peter, I don’t know who that quarterback was – Mitch Cumstein? Ok, sure, sounds great. 

Callahardfoul
    Participant

Isaiah Thomas’ defense is going to be a problem for the Celtics

I saw this, and have seen all sorts of folks talking about how bad Isaiah is on defense.  I agree he’s not great, primarily because just about everyone can shoot over him. But a couple of things struck me about this premise generally.

First, they’re in the final 8 of the league. Other than JR Smith, every other starting east guard left is either an all-star or all-NBA talent.  Of course they are going to make life tough for Thomas. Of those same guards, only Lowry covers Thomas even decently. I know Beal blocked a 3 yesterday – it was a nice play – but nobody else can do anything to slow him down.

The plays shown on the link are all of Thomas getting nailed by picks. It’s true that Smart and Bradley are tougher getting through picks, but Bradley is the best defensive guard in the league, and Smart is top 5. Everybody was getting crushed by Gortat’s picks yesterday.

In the end, I think Thomas stays in front of his guy one-on-one well enough. He won’t block a shot, but he won’t foul and bail out the shooter. He gets killed in the pick and roll, like about 80% of guards do. He’ll give up jumpers, but he’ll outscore his opponent. I don’t think his defense alone is a big problem.

Participant

With out looking I’m guessing that most of the media has put the Pats in the ‘draft losers’ basket because they only took 4 players in a historically deep draft while the Ravens and Steelers likely are in the ‘winners’ basket?

“They don’t particularly draft well.”  Fredgy the zookeeper said at about 615 this am – bootlicker Wallach couldn’t wait to agree.

We did hear a story about how the bald zookeeper interrupted Ken Rosenthal’s and John Smoltz’s dinner Friday to rag on Johnny Gomes.

Kevin
    Participant

How did Loyko grade out Belichick?

Beaker
    Participant

“You just gave me goose bumps”…I’m guessing Lynch will be popping up a lot in Pete’s columns.

Participant

“Journalism is a noble profession, and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. No matter how big a job that certain someone has on this planet.” Sure it is Peter, but you aren’t a journalist.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

“You just gave me goose bumps”…I’m guessing Lynch will be popping up a lot in Pete’s columns.

Isn’t that the line Namath always used, which he later admitted was complete bullshit and something he just said to shut people up?

Chuck Schick
    Participant

Journalism is a noble profession, and it just so happens that we have a forum to remind you how noble it is every fucking day.

chicowalker
    Participant

Homer Simpson’s 7 thumbs up to a piece of floor pizza was more reasoned analysis than anything Fatty offered.  Everybody did exactly the right thing and found ten year starters unless something weird!  happens, like Bridgewater shredding his knee (or the 1000 other injuries that happen in an nfl season)

This is the worst thing every written-

Beernerdness: It is a national sensation, Allagash White (Allagash Brewing, Portland, Maine). How do I know? After the first day of the draft, in a restaurant/club area of Levi’s Stadium, I was shocked to see it on the menu, and of course I took advantage of this little lost beer 3,000 miles from home

the dooshchills I got from the last 7 words realigned my spine.  He’s worse than Assad. :pk:

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Goose bumps can come from hives, an allergic reaction, or something else nasty. Maybe he meant “You make my skin crawl,” which is a more typical reaction from anyone who has ever encountered this creature:

Worth repeating the idiocy Breer said last night.  Basically,  that when it comes time to choose Garoppolo over Brady,  Kraft will overrule BB so to keep Brady.

Chuck Schick
    Participant

I was a bit confused how this small, almost-unheard-of beer that only I know about could be found some 3,000 miles away. On the other side of the country — the West Coast, if you will! Well, I put on my noble journalism hat and did a little digging. It turns out there is a vast infrastructure established throughout the United States. This network consists of trucks, trains, and airplanes and brings you everything from televisions and computers to food and (yes) beer! I mean, who knew? That’s how I found my lost little glass of Allagash pisswater in San Francisco. And now you’ve learned something too. You’re welcome.

Humphrey
    Participant

Fatty is without peer in his ability to see connections and coincidences where none really exist:

In the spring of 1979, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach/GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner. Entering the draft last week, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach and GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner. When I pitched the inside story about the new 49ers regime’s first draft to Lynch at the NFL owners meetings in March, I explained the similarities between Bill Walsh’s start 38 years ago and the new start now. “You just gave me goose bumps,” Lynch said. And so this story was born.

The only real distinction in Fatty’s breathless litany of elements is the 30-something owner. A team coming off a 2-14 season with a new coach/GM and without a QB of the future – that’s the Browns every three years.

Of course, there is an almost mythological quality to this trade. Think of it. In 1979, Bill Walsh, with only veteran journeyman Steve DeBerg to give him a chance to win that season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, Joe Montana. In 2017, John Lynch, with only veteran journeyman Brian Hoyer to give him a chance to win this season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, C.J. Beathard. “Oh my God,” Beathard said upon learning his link to Montana. “That is crazy. Wow. Joe Montana. Wow.” Indeed.

Oh, for fuck’s sake. Now C.J. Beathard is Joe Montana because he was drafted in the third round? Fuck off, Fatty.

Maybe if his Beathard’s college coach was the equivalent of Dan Devine (who shit all over Montana for the most part; his college career had a lot of ups and downs for no apparent reason) he’d have a comparison.    But I don’t see it.  At All.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Humphrey.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Humphrey.

chicowalker
    Participant

Switch “beer” to “girl” and Peter is every 70’s soft rock creep.

Kevin
    Participant

:lol:

So I took the Ally in my hand,
    Drank her down in my Under Armour van,
    And that’s alright with me!

Humphrey
    Participant

Everybody was getting crushed by Gortat’s picks yesterday

On one of them he would have been called for offensive holding in the NFL, never mind the NBA.

chicowalker
    Participant

😆 So I took the Ally in my hand, Drank her down in my Under Armour van, And that’s alright with me!

dammit! I had Sam Johns in my head but couldn’t make it work.  Nice job grumblegrumble.  If I don’t write a Peter King/Gary Puckett and the Union Gap song by the end of the day consider me Mays in 73’/ onion

Fatty’s narratives hinge on our willing suspension of disbelief. His lede today is “Newby Kid GM Is a Genius”. To support this claim, he advances the premise, “Guy we took at 31 we were considering at 3”.

If true, it would mean they stood pat while Foster dropped out of the top 10, out of the top 20, and so on. What GM sees his top three guy at say 21 and says, “Hey, let’s see if he drops another 10”?

More likely they saw all the red flags everyone else saw, and knew he’d drop appropriately. No way they were considering him at 3. Had they taken him there, they would have been skewered.

Participant

Kevin
    Participant

And Peter said Ally, you’re a fine beer,
    What a good brew you can be!
    But my life, my lover, my mennnntor,
    Is Dr. Z! (Doo doo doo doo…)

InThisTown
    Participant

Isaiah Thomas’ defense is going to be a problem for the Celtics

I saw this, and have seen all sorts of folks talking about how bad Isaiah is on defense. I agree he’s not great, primarily because just about everyone can shoot over him. But a couple of things struck me about this premise generally. First, they’re in the final 8 of the league. Other than JR Smith, every other starting east guard left is either an all-star or all-NBA talent. Of course they are going to make life tough for Thomas. Of those same guards, only Lowry covers Thomas even decently. I know Beal blocked a 3 yesterday – it was a nice play – but nobody else can do anything to slow him down. The plays shown on the link are all of Thomas getting nailed by picks. It’s true that Smart and Bradley are tougher getting through picks, but Bradley is the best defensive guard in the league, and Smart is top 5. Everybody was getting crushed by Gortat’s picks yesterday. In the end, I think Thomas stays in front of his guy one-on-one well enough. He won’t block a shot, but he won’t foul and bail out the shooter. He gets killed in the pick and roll, like about 80% of guards do. He’ll give up jumpers, but he’ll outscore his opponent. I don’t think his defense alone is a big problem.

I think the piece, while right on a lot, misses out on the fact that the Celtics are much better on the second unit than WAS, which accounts for a lot of it. Those second unit guys are like replacement level shit. It’s terrible. They basically targeted Bogdanovich all day. He’s the worst defender in the game and Brooks isn’t as smart as Brad, obviously, so he can’t hide him.

I’m way less bullish on IT’s defense than you are, but the Celtics are the better team 1-9 so it likely won’t matter all that much.

Callahardfoul
    Participant

I’m just annoyed with the premise. It’s not going to be a big problem. They may lose but it’s not because Isaiah isn’t good at defense. The ringer did a similar piece – How do they hide him??? – and as evidence they showed Wall “making Isaiah dance.” He recovered against Wall and forced a jumper.  Someone else mentioned it, but if teams hunt for him too much they lose precious seconds off the shot clock. And he’s a net positive with his absurd offensive production.*

* He was a net zero yesterday but you get the point.

A bigger takeaway from me is that Horford is an absolute no-brainer home run for the Celts.

Suzy
    Participant

In the spring of 1979, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach/GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner. Entering the draft last week, the 49ers were coming off a 2-14 season, with a new coach and GM, without a quarterback of the future, and with a 30-something owner. When I pitched the inside story about the new 49ers regime’s first draft to Lynch at the NFL owners meetings in March, I explained the similarities between Bill Walsh’s start 38 years ago and the new start now. “You just gave me goose bumps,” Lynch said. And so this story was born.

Of course, there is an almost mythological quality to this trade. Think of it. In 1979, Bill Walsh, with only veteran journeyman Steve DeBerg to give him a chance to win that season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, Joe Montana. In 2017, John Lynch, with only veteran journeyman Brian Hoyer to give him a chance to win this season, waited until the end of round three to take a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback, C.J. Beathard. “Oh my God,” Beathard said upon learning his link to Montana. “That is crazy. Wow. Joe Montana. Wow.” Indeed.

And his absolutely worthless and vapid observations elicit gasps of wonder and have people as dumb as he is rushing for the smelling salts.

Suzy
    Participant

Celtics retiring #34–cool.

Been wondering what the Pats’ actual price tag was for Garoppolo. Throughout the draft, there were Schefter stories that the Browns were still in pursuit.

Back in February,  there was a story (don’t know how reliable), “Garoppolo Bears Number One Offseason Priority”. On Thursday, they gave up the 3, two 3rds and a 4th to get Trubisky.

Any word what the Pats put as a price? Or was it just, “We need more”?

Lefty

I was tired of my latte, we´d been together too long
    Like a worn-out sourcing, who was wrong all along
    So while I was scolding housekeeping, I read the free paper in bed
    And in the classified section, there was this ad that I read

If you like Alagash Ale, and using stories that pain
    If you don’t know statistics, if you have half a brain
    If you like complaining ’bout writing at midnight, in the press box of a game
    I´m the love that you´ve dreamed of, write of me, and escape

InThisTown
    Participant

Outside of Kawhi no one has had a better playoffs than Horford.

Kevin
    Participant

Felger takes a tweet that said “the Browns were taking to Bill on Friday night” to mean that they definitely could have gotten the 12th pick for JG.

It’s fact, not opinion now, sorrrreee.

I was tired of my latte  :lol:   :lol:  

Feejis
    Participant

Felger takes a tweet that said “the Browns were taking to Bill on Friday night” to mean that they definitely could have gotten the 12th pick for JG. It’s fact, not opinion now, sorrrreee.

I’m sure he’s right, (look what KC and HOU gave up to draft less proven guys who probably will ride the bench this year) but so what?

They can franchise him and get at least a first next year out of someone.

Pats are uniquely positioned as the contender that can likely best withstand their QB getting hurt. And they have the best QB! That extra year of cheap insurance is worth something and BB likely says the delta between the return in the 2017 draft and the return in the 2018 draft is worth having that insurance around.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Been wondering what the Pats’ actual price tag was for Garoppolo. Throughout the draft, there were Schefter stories that the Browns were still in pursuit. Back in February, there was a story (don’t know how reliable), “Garoppolo Bears Number One Offseason Priority”. On Thursday, they gave up the 3, two 3rds and a 4th to get Trubisky. Any word what the Pats put as a price? Or was it just, “We need more”?

I was wondering about that too. One day Brady is going to retire and the obvious best case scenario would be a Montana to Young type transition. If they think the Garoppolo is the guy they simply will not trade him, but I imagine they like the idea of other teams twisting themselves into a knot putting together a package for something they can’t have. :lol:

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Homer Simpson’s 7 thumbs up to a piece of floor pizza was more reasoned analysis than anything Fatty offered. Everybody did exactly the right thing and found ten year starters unless something weird! happens, like Bridgewater shredding his knee (or the 1000 other injuries that happen in an nfl season) This is the worst thing every written- Beernerdness: It is a national sensation, Allagash White (Allagash Brewing, Portland, Maine). How do I know? After the first day of the draft, in a restaurant/club area of Levi’s Stadium, I was shocked to see it on the menu, and of course I took advantage of this little lost beer 3,000 miles from home the dooshchills I got from the last 7 words realigned my spine. He’s worse than Assad. :pk:

He’s an ignorant, pretentious piece of shit. You’re in Northern California, one of the best places in the country for craft beer. Try a local and fresh beer, you idiot.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

GusChiggins
    Participant

I’ve never had an Allagash White simply because King loves it so much.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

You’re in Northern California, one of the best places in the country for craft beer. Try a local and fresh beer, you idiot.

You’re trying to teach calculus to a gerbil.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

I think a.paul once let slip he was wearing a replica throwback jersey of a lightly regarded Midwestern quarterback.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Kevin
    Participant

Is it possible to be mortgaging the future by punting on this draft AND be stupid in not trading your next franchise QB?

chicowalker
    Participant

Hasn’t Felger polished Elways balls repeatedly for “going all in” when they signed Ware, Talib, etc?

Participant

Hasn’t Felger polished Elways balls repeatedly for “going all in” when they signed Ware, Talib, etc?

That’s different, those are names he recognized.

InThisTown
    Participant

Robert’s Theme

Once in your life you find him
    Someone that looks acceptab-ly brown
    And next thing you know you’re closing down Chi-town
    Wake up and he’s in the hoosegow
    Even though you left him way across town
    Wondering to yourself if he got an ass pound

If you make bail and you’re home in New York City (where I live)
    I know it’s crazy, but it’s true
    If you make bail and you’re home in New York City (where I live)
    The best that you can do
    The best that you can do
    Is Love, Klemko

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Haven’t the Pats also won 2 SuperBowls vs the Brono’s one since Elway went “all in”?

Suzy
    Participant

I’ve never had an Allagash White simply because King loves it so much.

The Fatty hate and ridicule is outstanding here today.

Gonna find my binky, gonna blow him right,
    Gonna drink some Allagash tonight,
    My motto’s always been, “Why make it right? Just write!”
    Why vet it? Stories never need to be air-tight
    Whe-en everything you write will be forgotten in a day
    A-and you know your readers never know the difference anyway.

Waggin’ fingers always makes my trousers tight,
    Looking forward to a little Allagash tonight,
    Marvin Lewis’ house is in disorder ’cause he’s not white
    and writing twenty thousand words takes no insight,
    I’m Roger’s white knight
    Allagash tonight
    Allagash tonight
    Allagash tonight 
Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar