Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 5/2/2017 Daily Thread

This topic contains 151 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Feejis 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Kingasaurus
    Participant

So this could be a Fenway Sports Group creation.

:lol: I’m not the only person here who attends a lot of games. I’m curious what you guys think. You ever hear this stuff anymore?

I still hear it quite a bit out here which really does shock me. Mainly at the Staples Center for Kings/Lakers. Never at Dodger stadium however.

I guess that’s why I’m more worried about the Boston experience, because they love shitting on us with hyper-specific racism accusations. I’ve been at Foxboro for decades, and fans throwing stuff and “show us your tits!” was common and way more prevalent than any racist slurs, even back then, if you did happen to hear them. These days? I can’t remember anything, if at all. Maybe I’m in a bubble.

Lebron
    Participant

Was it last year that Gammo wrote something about racist shit being said to players at Fenway and more than a few people who were there said that didn’t happen?

Chuck Schick
    Participant
    Joe only had to fork over $550 for this gem.

I love fat bikes, but this thing is obviously a complete piece of shit. The Schwinn Biggity is a re-branded Mongoose fat bike, which you can get at Walmart for $250. So basically Joe paid a $300 premium for some queer stickers on a horrible, heavy bike that he will never ride.

InThisTown
    Participant

Kinda stole tI may have mentioned this before, but whatever. A friend told me a story about attending a minor league game in Syracuse. A player, I think Glenallen Hill, but whomever he was he was black, had just struck out for the third time in the game. My friend stood up and yelled “K-K-K.” It was a small stadium and he had good seats, so he was noticed.

I’m always suspicious of this stuff in 2017, and I’m hardly the Gerry Callahan type. Not that it’s impossible, but I’m the kind of person who likes a little more confirmation and details confirming the story before the fucking Mayor and Governor decide they need to weigh in. I’m of the opinion that’s it’s really difficult to yell stuff like that these days without other fans calling you out on your bullshit. I too like kicking the Red Sox when they’re having a PR problem for all the reasons the board is familiar with. But my bullshit detector always pings in these situations. If I actually heard these things at games myself maybe I’d be more willing to buy it. But it’s been a long time since I did, if ever.

Tried to ballpark (bwahhaha) the number of Boston sporting events I’ve been to this morning and I’ll guess it’s 500-600. I don’t EVER recall hearing racial epithets. Maybe, maybe some veiled shit. I don’t know. Nothing stands out. I do remember hearing vile shit at high school basketball games when I was 12, so I would think this would stick with me. Growing up around real racists and not this JV tweet PK Subban a banana emoji bullshit may have me desensitized.

LJSandwich
    Participant

I find it really hard to get worked up about the national media portraying Boston as a racist city.  They have zero credibility.   Likewise for the local media who twist themselves in fucking knots trying to counter the perception.  It’s all a waste of time and hot air.

BrianInLA
    Participant

When I lived in Virginia it was very common to hear that sort of racial stuff at ECHL hockey games both in Richmond and Hampton. There was a lot of veiled racism in Virginia that I wouldn’t have expected, even from highly educated folks that I was sort of friends with for a short time. I really never heard any of it when I lived in New England.

I agree with King…I think if its as bad as they try to make it out to be that other fans would call them out these days. The stuff at the Staples Center will only be a 1 liner every hour or so. Nothing like a constant barrage of the N word as was reported at Fenway.

InThisTown
    Participant

I can do the LA math on which group might be directing which slurs  :lol:

Major Intangibles
    Participant

Damn, you wake up and hear people were insulting and throwing shit at Adam Jones and it gets your hopes up!

I’m sure Globe Sully has put Hohler on the case to find out why America’s Most Beloved Ballpark has turned into a klan rally.

😆 America’s Most Behooded Ballpark

Don’t even try to order a drink using Cirroc vodka over at The Baseball Klavern.

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Hacksaw
    Participant

I can do the LA math on which group might be directing which slurs 😆

Martin Luther Doc Rivers already took care of that guy.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

When I lived in Virginia it was very common to hear that sort of racial stuff at ECHL hockey games both in Richmond and Hampton. There was a lot of veiled racism in Virginia that I wouldn’t have expected, even from highly educated folks that I was sort of friends with for a short time. I really never heard any of it when I lived in New England. I agree with King…I think if its as bad as they try to make it out to be that other fans would call them out these days. The stuff at the Staples Center will only be a 1 liner every hour or so. Nothing like a constant barrage of the N word as was reported at Fenway.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m willing to buy that there can be one drunk racist out of 10,000 who throws things and yells racist shit and gets thrown out. But I’m also suspicious that if this happens in Boston, players and media are more likely to mention it, and then it’s more likely to snowball here because of busing and someone shitting in Bill Russell’s bed 60 years ago.

It’s a feedback loop, then the nationals pile on, and every time it happens it just perpetuates a false narrative. This happens in Milwaukee or some such place, and maybe Jones or another player notices it, but he never mentions it to the media because they chalk it up to one idiot who doesn’t deserve the attention, and that city doesn’t have a racism perception problem.

LJ is right in that this is a lot of hot air. I just find the hot air really annoying and unfair.

Kevin
    Participant

The only time I’ve ever heard the N word at Gillette is when my friend next to me sometimes complains about Brady’s Jay-Z song. :lol:

But he doesn’t yell it.

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Was it last year that Gammo wrote something about racist shit being said to players at Fenway and more than a few people who were there said that didn’t happen?

At the start of spring training, Price mentioned he heard stuff in Fenway warming up before the game.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

InThisTown
    Participant

The only time I’ve ever heard the N word at Gillette is when my friend next to me sometimes complains about Brady’s Jay-Z song. 😆 But he doesn’t yell it.

Here’s a Public Service Announcement for you…    :ozzy:   :ozzy:

Kmac
    Participant

Nevermind

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Kmac.

InThisTown
    Participant

At the start of spring training, Price mentioned he heard stuff in Fenway warming up before the game.

I just don’t fucking believe that. I really don’t. I can buy Adam Jones having a random one thrown at him. But warming up in the bullpen and he’s on the Red Sox? I just don’t see it. At all.

Lefty

All the White Knights of the Keyboards think it’s a dynamite idea to give Adam Jones a Standing Ovation for every at bat for the rest of the series. Talk about phony and queer….

Isn’t that the new show on EEI with Buckley and Reimer?

Kevin
    Participant

The only time I’ve ever heard the N word at Gillette is when my friend next to me sometimes complains about Brady’s Jay-Z song. 😆 But he doesn’t yell it.

Here’s a Public Service Announcement for you… :ozzy: :ozzy:

We’ve discussed this before on Twitter. My tailgating friends have a way too narrow range of songs that can be played.

Outkast’s “Hey Ya” is too urban! :lol:

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I just don’t fucking believe that. I really don’t. I can buy Adam Jones having a random one thrown at him. But warming up in the bullpen and he’s on the Red Sox? I just don’t see it. At all.

Well, it is Florida. :lol:

Lefty

I have never heard the N word at Fenway, the only place I ever heard it was at the Garden during a Bruins /Canadiens game four or five years ago where a guy in our section yelled it at Subban.   The whole section stopped and stared and security came for him.    I don’t recall ever seeing that guy at another game.

Kmac
    Participant

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

I really wish the Patriots could adopt their coach’s trait of not caring what people think. This repeated meme of “this our draft” and showing the visual of Cooks as the 1, Ealy as the 2, etc., is just so needy.

It’s one thing if it’s Reiss or the fans making the argument, but seeing it coming from patriots.com is just sad. Don’t give Shank or Felger any ammunition.

Yeah, if the Patriots are selling it, Felger isn’t buying it, no matter what. He was shitting on the notion that Cooks was the first round draft pick yesterday. Cited that the team has only two years of control versus a possible 5 years with a draft pick. Totally ignored that you know what you have with Cooks unlike the #32 pick. I would guess the expected value of Cooks over two years is greater than the historical value of a late first round pick over the term of their rookie contract.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

I have never heard the N word at Fenway, the only place I ever heard it was at the Garden during a Bruins /Canadiens game four or five years ago where a guy in our section yelled it at Subban. The whole section stopped and stared and security came for him. I don’t recall ever seeing that guy at another game.

This is the kind of proper 2017 reaction from normal Boston sports fans that I would expect.

It’s also makes me want to snuff the life out of the “Racism in Boston? Not surprised!” social media idiots.

It’s a feedback loop, then the nationals pile on, and every time it happens it just perpetuates a false narrative. This happens in Milwaukee or some such place, and maybe Jones or another player notices it, but he never mentions it to the media because they chalk it up to one idiot who doesn’t deserve the attention, and that city doesn’t have a racism perception problem.

It’s akin to headsets going out. It happens in every stadium, but only when it happens in Foxboro does it become a story.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

It’s akin to headsets going out. It happens in every stadium, but only when it happens in Foxboro does it become a story.

Correct. Exact same phenomenon.

Kmac
    Participant

All the White Knights of the Keyboards think it’s a dynamite idea to give Adam Jones a Standing Ovation for every at bat for the rest of the series. Talk about phony and queer….

Isn’t that the new show on EEI with Buckley and Reimer?

Two guys that would not mind if someone’s nuts were coming towards them.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar