Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/10/19 – 6/16/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 208 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  NASCL 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 209 total)
  • Author

NASCL
    Participant

The Cup.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

Great win last night. It’s strange how much better St Louis is on the road but that ends Wednesday.

Also, why is what Minihane doing career wise generating this level of interest?  He’s fine, I guess, compared to what is in this market but now I’m supposed to believe he’s a generational talent? I don’t see it. At all.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Participant

Great win last night. It’s strange how much better St Louis is on the road but that ends Wednesday.

Also, why is what Minihane doing career wise generating this level of interest? He’s fine, I guess, compared to what is in this market but now I’m supposed to believe he’s a generational talent? I don’t see it. At all.

Anytime you can hire a trustafarian with daddy issues you do it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Claude45
    Participant

I mentioned this on twitter but lost in all the excitement of a game 7, Wednesday could end up being a sizable black eye on the NHL. The Blues have been given free reign to headhunt/cheap shot if the the refs continue to call the games they way they have to date. With the headshots/cheap shots not getting called in game and no meaningful games to be suspended for, the Blues can go full Charlestown Chiefs. They already started at the end of game 6.

The Blues have every right to think the headshots won’t be called as they haven’t been. I didn’t hear one mention on the broadcast that the Blues are the first team to have 2 players suspended in the finals. They barely mentioned the guy that was suspended. The NHL gets what they ask for and there’s a very good chance they get an embarrassing night on their biggest stage and they’ll have it coming.

Humphrey
    Participant

You gotta think the first regular season game between the two teams next year will have Michael Corleone’s “today I settled all family business” written all over it.

Participant

Both Russians and Evita Perron need to be “straightened out”.

And the goalie as well.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I mentioned this on twitter but lost in all the excitement of a game 7, Wednesday could end up being a sizable black eye on the NHL. The Blues have been given free reign to headhunt/cheap shot if the the refs continue to call the games they way they have to date. With the headshots/cheap shots not getting called in game and no meaningful games to be suspended for, the Blues can go full Charlestown Chiefs. They already started at the end of game 6.

The Blues have every right to think the headshots won’t be called as they haven’t been. I didn’t hear one mention on the broadcast that the Blues are the first team to have 2 players suspended in the finals. They barely mentioned the guy that was suspended. The NHL gets what they ask for and there’s a very good chance they get an embarrassing night on their biggest stage and they’ll have it coming.

I would hope that somebody in the NHL has thought the same thing and that the teams will be informed that 5 minute majors and game misconducts will be called for that non-sense.

Coma
    Participant

It’s better than the fans at Gillette that boo the Patriots at halftime if the team didn’t play well*, but there was something kind of sad about Blues fans chanting “We want the Cup!” in the closing minutes last night. Being positive is nice, but their team just had a chance to raise the Stanley Cup and failed.

*By “didn’t play well,” I mean they might be trailing 13-3 or 17-7. Maybe they had a chance to score at the end of the half and mismanaged the clock or missed a FG. In any case, it’s not an insurmountable deficit and we’ve seen this team come back in similar situations multiple times over the last 2 decades. Still, people are going to boo.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jforb
    Participant

Moving to the right thread…
    Embedding tweets properly appears to have been a one day thing.

I thought Tuukka Rask was outstanding last night, and the final score doesn’t nearly capture his value.
    Anyone else have the feeling Jordan Binnington is going to crapy himself in Game 7? That bouncing puck goal? Come on.

What final score would capture his value? And the second is straight out of PK’s stop sucking player analysis.

Lebron
    Participant

I ended up missing most of the game last night, had a landscaping project where I had to take advantage of available hands plus had to prep kids for 2 different summer camps this week.  So I ended up watching more post game coverage than usual.  It was universally terrible both on NBCSN and on NHL Network.  By terrible I mean you would think this is just a delay in handing the Blues the Cup.  Playing on the road for a Game 7 is apparently an advantage, Blues basically missed some opportunities that they’d bury given another chance, bad bounce on the one goal then the one goal while a nice shot by the Backes replacement was one Binnington should have had.  I watched it like 7 times and each time came away with ‘that’s a nice fucking snipe.’

On another media note the beat reporters or whoever was in the Blues dressing room were terrible.  Do you think Game 7 will be tough?  Why did the Bruins win?  The idea that these games aren’t played in a vacuum and that there is zero excuse for losing a home game and that the other team you are playing against practices too and that hey this is the final series of a tournament so both teams are inherently pretty good never crosses their minds with these questions.  You could just send macaws or parrots in there, record boilerplate questions then have the birds repeat them.

Lebron
    Participant

Obviously I want them to win, but win or lose that was a hell of a performance last night on the road.  However, if they do lose, they have to figure out a way to prevent Perron from skating with the Cup.  Stick to the knee in the handshake line would do.

BrianInLA
    Participant

First finals game 7 in Boston since the ’84 Celtics? I would have to think the place will be quite loud and the intensity off the charts Wednesday night and definitely not an advantage for the Blues.

Humphrey
    Participant

I ended up missing most of the game last night, had a landscaping project where I had to take advantage of available hands plus had to prep kids for 2 different summer camps this week. So I ended up watching more post game coverage than usual. It was universally terrible both on NBCSN and on NHL Network. By terrible I mean you would think this is just a delay in handing the Blues the Cup. Playing on the road for a Game 7 is apparently an advantage, Blues basically missed some opportunities that they’d bury given another chance, bad bounce on the one goal then the one goal while a nice shot by the Backes replacement was one Binnington should have had. I watched it like 7 times and each time came away with ‘that’s a nice fucking snipe.’

On another media note the beat reporters or whoever was in the Blues dressing room were terrible. Do you think Game 7 will be tough? Why did the Bruins win? The idea that these games aren’t played in a vacuum and that there is zero excuse for losing a home game and that the other team you are playing against practices too and that hey this is the final series of a tournament so both teams are inherently pretty good never crosses their minds with these questions. You could just send macaws or parrots in there, record boilerplate questions then have the birds repeat them.

The one question that will usually result in me switching the channel from any interview is “talk about….”.

Lebron
    Participant

First finals game 7 in Boston since the ’84 Celtics? I would have to think the place will be quite loud and the intensity off the charts Wednesday night and definitely not an advantage for the Blues.

I still remember that ’84 Game 7.  I was a 14 year old shoe pisser and spent a chunk of the 3rd quarter shooting hoops in the driveway because I couldn’t stomach watching.  I think the Scorpions played the Centrum that night, I was too paralyzed for that as well.  Brother and his buddies had an extra I was like their 18th choice on the list and declined.  Pretty sure they ate the ticket.  If so, good.

Lebron
    Participant

James Worthy terrified me.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

Has CHB ever apologized to Papi for the “giant sack of you-know-what” remark that he wrote in that giant sack of actual shit that is his column?

Now is the perfect time. Correction: wait until Ortiz is out of danger. Shaughnessy is more toxic than a perforated colon.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

Has CHB ever apologized….

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Responding to something on the other thread:

Maybe Carroll gets another year. But in the end the lousy play of Bledsoe in 2000 would have sunk him.

I also kind of think that Parcells may NOT have retired from the Jets in 1999 if he was convinced Kraft wouldn’t go after Belichick. I’m 90 percent sure that Parcells quit when he did to fuck Kraft over. Carroll stays on in 2000 and maybe Tuna does, too, sniffing the chance to take the Jets deep into the playoffs. No one but Kraft was interested in Belichick anyway.

We generally abhor the concept of these things happening in a vacuum. Maybe Kraft would’ve fired Carroll anyway with a 9-7 season. Maybe a last-second winning kick would springboard the team into the second half of the season. Who knows?

I wonder about that notion with Tuna just out to screw Kraft. His decisions on what he was going to do the next year wavered with the wind. Had to be excruciating for his owners, and for his assistant coaches. He already made Belichick his pawn once before in his “consultant” facade back in ’97. I remember stories in 2000 speculating Parcells wouldn’t really stop coaching; that he’d be calling shit from the owner’s box or some other ridiculous shit. Funny how the conventional wisdom then was Belichick was a loser who couldn’t be trusted with running a team.

Kingasaurus
    Participant
    We generally abhor the concept of these things happening in a vacuum. Maybe Kraft would’ve fired Carroll anyway with a 9-7 season. Maybe a last-second winning kick would springboard the team into the second half of the season. Who knows?

I don’t think this was ever made explicit by the media (maybe it was at the time but I forgot), but my hunch is that Kraft was more willing to fire Carroll because he already had assurances that BB wanted the job. Technically if they talked directly that’s tampering, but we know how these things work – just use a wink-wink intermediary to make your wishes clear.

Lebron
    Participant

Twitter is a weird place but the ‘really?  Tom Brady waiving the flag for Game 7?  That’s the best we can do?’ sentiment making the rounds today is fucking weird.

Lebron
    Participant

According to Kraft the discussion with Belichick on the flight back from New Orleans was a convincing one, at first I think Kraft said he thought Belichick was a few years away from being a head coach but later he did concede that the Parcells stuff and their connection didn’t make him want to hire him right away.  Or maybe he said that originally and I missed it.

I got the feeling it was more about wanting to move on from Carroll.  They requested permission as soon as Belichick resigned but the Jets immediately shot them down.  I remember Stacey James’s statement something like we faxed our request to the Jets, the Jets denied the request which was perfectly within their rights, we’re moving on.  I conflate the people they talked to in ’97 with ’00 but while they wanted Belichick they were also moving in a different direction regardless.

Kingasaurus
    Participant

They requested permission as soon as Belichick resigned but the Jets immediately shot them down. I remember Stacey James’s statement something like we faxed our request to the Jets, the Jets denied the request which was perfectly within their rights, we’re moving on. I conflate the people they talked to in ’97 with ’00 but while they wanted Belichick they were also moving in a different direction regardless.

Maybe, but I’d bet there was a difference between public statements and back-channel chit chat. I just think BB and Kraft were probably talking indirectly, RK knew BB wanted out and was going to force the issue and something could still be worked out. If they had to get the Commissioner involved for compemnsation, fine. Which is what ultimately happened.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

My memory is that Saint Willie and maybe Borges were writing about Carroll’s imminent firing, with Belichick the prime candidate to replace him (and be given GM responsibilities as well as the HC job), as soon as it was clear the team was on the skids in December 1999. It was kind of an open secret. The first surprise for me (if ever a “Bill Parcells quitting his job” story can ever really be called a surprise) was Parcells’ resignation after Week 17. The second and larger surprise was, of course, BB’s presser in which he resigned as HC of the NYJ a few days later. I wonder if the Pats truly were talking with Capers, Donohoe, yada yada yada, later on and only as a hedge in case Tagliabue or a court totally ruled in favor of the Jets, or in case the return for Belichick’s release was ridiculously high.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant
    Responding to something on the other thread:

Maybe Carroll gets another year. But in the end the lousy play of Bledsoe in 2000 would have sunk him.

I also kind of think that Parcells may NOT have retired from the Jets in 1999 if he was convinced Kraft wouldn’t go after Belichick. I’m 90 percent sure that Parcells quit when he did to fuck Kraft over. Carroll stays on in 2000 and maybe Tuna does, too, sniffing the chance to take the Jets deep into the playoffs. No one but Kraft was interested in Belichick anyway.

I wonder about that notion with Tuna just out to screw Kraft. His decisions on what he was going to do the next year wavered with the wind. Had to be excruciating for his owners, and for his assistant coaches. He already made Belichick his pawn once before in his “consultant” facade back in ’97. I remember stories in 2000 speculating Parcells wouldn’t really stop coaching; that he’d be calling shit from the owner’s box or some other ridiculous shit. Funny how the conventional wisdom then was Belichick was a loser who couldn’t be trusted with running a team.

An addendum about the 1999-2001 Drew Bledsoe: from the midpoint of 1999 through the Mo Lewis game of 2001, the Patriots were 7-19 with Bledsoe as starting QB. :blink:

Lebron
    Participant

I’m guessing Felger has already said Ortiz was asking for it when getting shot.  Welched on his PED dealer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar