Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/10/19 – 6/16/19 Weekly Thread

This topic contains 198 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  TJM 46 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 199 total)
  • Author

Lebron
    Participant

The issue will be leaving Game 6, with all its tricky bounces and pesky rolling pucks, behind. O’Reilly said the team already had, and there’s plenty of good to pick out of the detritus of the busted rager in downtown St. Louis. There were 12 power-play shots, good looks that Rask gobbled up. There was Robert Thomas’s return to the ice, Massachusetts native Zach Sanford’s punch right back at Chara. Plus, St. Louis can look forward to the return of suspended center Ivan Barbashev, who’s been +4 since May 13.

I didn’t hear anything like well the Bruins did get 37 or whatever shots in Game 5 just had some bad bounces they’ll be fine in Game 6.  Media had them mostly dead and buried.

Coma
    Participant

I’m guessing Felger has already said Ortiz was asking for it when getting shot. Welched on his PED dealer.

On a tangent from this, I think it’s safe to say that all the people who are upset about the possibility Brady waving the flag on Wednesday night (IT SHUD BEE A BROONS LEGEND!1!) are prepared to pivot to criticizing Brady if he doesn’t do it.

Lebron
    Participant

du Pont is a moron, is he really suggesting Harry Sinden or Claude Julien?  Sinden is like a gazillion years old and would die waiving that thing, and Julien is the fucking head coach of the Canadiens if I’m not mistaken.  Yeah, while you’re at it see if Joe Torre or Pat Riley are available.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

When did appointing someone in the stands to wave a flag become a thing? I don’t remember this from previous cup runs.

Lefty

When did appointing someone in the stands to wave a flag become a thing? I don’t remember this from previous cup runs.

They’ve done it in the playoffs for years.   Why it is suddenly the discussion point for the harpies and whiners, I have no idea.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Has CHB ever apologized to Papi for the “giant sack of you-know-what” remark that he wrote in that giant sack of actual shit that is his column?

Now is the perfect time. Correction: wait until Ortiz is out of danger. Shaughnessy is more toxic than a perforated colon.

Shank wouldn’t apologize for giving his wife syphilis.

Yahtzee
    Participant

Gerry will be a joy tomorrow . . . those gutter denizens of the DR are showing their true colors; I went on vacation down there and it was revolting and dirty and not like Amelia Island at all; Trump (whom I hated in the primaries but am honor-bound to defend now) is right that these scum should not be allowed on our shores; and why in the world is Ortiz living down there when he could be at the new 4S tower on Dalton Street?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Doesn’t Shaugnessy deny saying that or it was somehow misconstrued?

What a gutty win for the Warriors. Thought they were done down 6 with 2:30 or so to go.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

As usual, I give less than two shits about the opinion of KKKallahan.  On the other hand, there is Pedro, speaking in his second language, who is more articulate and honest than 99.999 percent of the talking heads out there.

3 users thanked author for this post.

NASCL
    Participant

NHL bringing back the Game 6 referees rather than sticking with the rotation and having the Game 5 crew.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Coma
    Participant

Casual hockey fan question: On the Blues goal Sunday night, it was not initially ruled a goal. After the flurry by the net, the Bruins iced the puck allowing a replay to be shown and St. Louis to challenge or there to be an official review. What would have happened if there was no icing? What if the game continued for another minute or so until there was a stoppage. Is there a mechanism to stop the game sooner in situations like that?

Nick B
    Participant

Casual hockey fan question: On the Blues goal Sunday night, it was not initially ruled a goal. After the flurry by the net, the Bruins iced the puck allowing a replay to be shown and St. Louis to challenge or there to be an official review. What would have happened if there was no icing? What if the game continued for another minute or so until there was a stoppage. Is there a mechanism to stop the game sooner in situations like that?

I’m pretty sure that the review would take place during the next stoppage.  whether it be a minute or even three. time would be return to the point when the goal was scored. if the bruins happened to score, their goal would be wiped out like it never happened.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Toronto watched the replay and called in the review. When they did that they blew the arena horn stopping play. If play had continued, the horn would’ve stopped play and the clock would be reset to the time of the goal nullifying whatever happened afterwards.

Nightmare scenario for the league’s replay system is after the missed goal the other team goes down and scores. If the missed goal is allowed and the clock is reset, the following goal never happened.

BrianInLA
    Participant

What if something happened like a fight and the guys got tossed? Would those penalties also get overturned similar to a future goal?

BrianInLA
    Participant

Just imagine that nightmare situation happening in OT of a game 7. Team A thinks they score but play continues. Team B scores and goes crazy winning the cup (imagine a Sanderson to Orr moment). They review the initial goal and overturn goal #2 and Team A wins the cup. I think the fans would burn the building to the ground if the home team was Team B.

2 users thanked author for this post.

stabbed by foulke
    Participant

Last year, Vegas had a missed goal that Toronto caught. Game continued for another 30 seconds before they blew the horn to stop play. Goal was allowed, clock reset to the time of the goal. Nothing happened in the 30 seconds though.

No idea what would happen if there were penalties, if I had to guess I’d think they would still be penalized though. Like if the goal was called correctly when it happened and there was a scrum afterwards? Don’t know.

Like the NFL, video review is a bigger deal in the playoffs. Emrick said they had 31 cameras in St. Louis for Game 6. I’d guess there’s less than ten for a regular season game.

GusChiggins
    Participant

This happened in the Switzerland – Portugal Match last week

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1T62VO

Lebron
    Participant

And of the 31 cameras, 30 were focused on Emrick or ‘Edzo’ and ‘Pierre’ screaming “Dack!  Dack!”

5 users thanked author for this post.

Lebron
    Participant

Second surgery for Ortiz.

Claude45
    Participant

And of the 31 cameras, 30 were focused on Emrick or ‘Edzo’ and ‘Pierre’ screaming “Dack! Dack!”

At least 5 on Jon Hamm and his scarf.

Florida Sox Fan
    Participant

And of the 31 cameras, 30 were focused on Emrick or ‘Edzo’ and ‘Pierre’ screaming “Dack! Dack!”

Don’t sleep on that Office person. Of course she got a whole intermission segment to herself.

Claude45
    Participant

Don’t sleep on that Office person. Of course she got a whole intermission segment to herself.

That was a painful watch.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

To be fair Hamm (and his scarf) got a whole intermission as well.

Big Fat O
    Participant

Having Pierre take one right off his bald noggin would be the icing on the Stanley cup win.

Dale might cry though.

Gimp
    Participant

Second surgery for Ortiz.

Sounds like it was something like an exploratory laparotomy-basically going in to evaluate the surgical work in the Dominican Republic, and to deal with any potential issues that were left unresolved in the first surgery.  Somewhat common when a trauma is operated on remotely and then transferred to a major center, especially with the surgical site being so fresh an incision.

Were he at all unstable he never would have been put on the plane.

My wife works in the Liver/Pancreatic/Gall Bladder practice at MGH.  Those surgeons are absolutely incredible, and all outstanding people.  It goes without saying, but he’s in excellent hands.

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar