Advertisements

Forums Forums Sports Media Discussion Daily Discussion Threads 6/13/2018 Daily Discussion Thread

This topic contains 35 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Big Fat O 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Yahtzee
    Participant

The first sports day of the rest of our lives.

Participant

Day baseball – sorry it’s with the unlikable 46 win Red Sox.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

I always worry and am pessimistic about all four of Boston’s major pro sports teams until Dan Shaughnessy tells me when it’s OK not to worry and be pessimistic.

I’m a miserable SOB 365 days a year.

Participant
    Replying to XXX XXXXXX & 4 others

are you doing anything for the Pedro event? Just heard remdog say some of the best chefs in Boston so I assume you are participating

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  02062.

chicowalker
    Participant

Sox are on pace to win 109/110 games.  Team record is 105.  That’s unlikely but to win 100, all they have to do is play .574 ball the rest of the way, equivalent to a 92-70 season.  They have won 100 games 3 times in their history, most recently 1946.  Yet people complain

Hacksaw
    Participant

The first sports day of the rest of our lives.

DOMBROWSKI TRADED ALL THE LIKEABLE OVERRATED PROSPECTS!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Hacksaw.

Saw this on Twitter a couple days ago, but thought we should make fun of him here too.

This explains a lot. He was about 16 when Brady first beat his Steelers. Brady won 11 of his 13 games against Pittsburgh (the Steelers won a November 2008 game against Cassel), so Scott’s Brady/Daddy issues were fomenting long before he became a writer.

“Scott! Hurry up and get ready or you’ll miss your cousin’s wedding!”

“I can’t right now, Ma! I’ve been working on my statistics, and I’m thisclose to proving my theory that Tom Brady wins too much to be considered a good quarterback.”

Lebron
    Participant

Spain firing their head coach the day before the World Cup is starting is a bit odd.

BSF34
    Participant

Saw this on Twitter a couple days ago, but thought we should make fun of him here too. This explains a lot. He was about 16 when Brady first beat his Steelers. Brady won 11 of his 13 games against Pittsburgh (the Steelers won a November 2008 game against Cassel), so Scott’s Brady/Daddy issues were fomenting long before he became a writer. “Scott! Hurry up and get ready or you’ll miss your cousin’s wedding!” “I can’t right now, Ma! I’ve been working on my statistics, and I’m thisclose to proving my theory that Tom Brady wins too much to be considered a good quarterback.”

Image result for beavis

Wait, what?

Nick B
    Participant

So, with U.S., Canada and Mexico  hosting the  2026 World Cup. What host country gets the automatic bid? or do all three get in?

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

I bet Scotty K is very active on the incel sub-Reddit.

Lebron
    Participant

So, with U.S., Canada and Mexico hosting the 2026 World Cup. What host country gets the automatic bid? or do all three get in?

The field will expand to 48 by then, guessing they all get it.  Not sure what happened in ’98 when South Korea/Japan split hosting duties.

Nick B
    Participant

Saw this on Twitter a couple days ago, but thought we should make fun of him here too. This explains a lot. He was about 16 when Brady first beat his Steelers. Brady won 11 of his 13 games against Pittsburgh (the Steelers won a November 2008 game against Cassel), so Scott’s Brady/Daddy issues were fomenting long before he became a writer. “Scott! Hurry up and get ready or you’ll miss your cousin’s wedding!” “I can’t right now, Ma! I’ve been working on my statistics, and I’m thisclose to proving my theory that Tom Brady wins too much to be considered a good quarterback.”

Can’t attend a wedding if you’re never invited.  Spin is anyway you want Scott, but is all means one thing. “You are a pathetic loser”

chicowalker
    Participant

He’s also a “future screenwriter” :lol:

as far as the incel subreddit…

$2.10 this guy has said “m’lady” more than once

“I’m 32 and the closest I’ve come to…” could be like Scott’s catch phrase in his screenplays.

“I’m 32 and the closest I’ve come to touching a boob is…”

chicowalker
    Participant

I can think of a different scene from Deer Hunter he may want to try first

Lebron
    Participant

The white guy is the best, must be the local KGB station chief.

Canadian Soldier
    Participant

The white guy is the best, must be the local KGB station chief.

Or he’s Frank Drebin.

InThisTown
    Participant

Cocksmear is the creep of all creeps.

Coma
    Participant

Can’t attend a wedding if you’re never invited. Spin is anyway you want Scott, but is all means one thing. “You are a pathetic loser”

Between 25 and 35 should be your peak wedding attending years. All your friends are out of college, settling down with jobs, living arrangements, and partners. Kacsmar batting an 0-fer so far in that decade speaks to a lack of real world friends. It’s extremely unlikely that he’s never been invited to a wedding, but the fact that he’s never felt like “There’s no way I’m missing friend X’s wedding” or that no one’s put him in a wedding party doesn’t speak well of him.

Laszlo Panaflex
    Participant

Not just invited but I’d have imagined that by age 32 some one, perhaps a family member or close friend has asked Scott to be in a wedding as an usher or something.  He’s got to be a real prick to say ‘no, and I’m not even going to come to your wedding’. Plus when you a kid your folks will pretty much force you to attend a family wedding. His wedding claim is probably as truthful as his likely explanation that he has a girl friend in Canada that he bangs all the time.

Coma
    Participant

Going back a couple of days to that lesser Kurkjian podcast that BBTL transcribed, it’s a really nice credibility loop that the media has set up for themselves. Kurkjian can say he heard a story from sources. When the Patriots respond and deny the story, Kurkjian says “What else do you expect them to say.” If you ask about his sources, he can cite journalistic standards and say he can’t reveal them.

When Kraft, who supposedly had firsthand involvement in the story says it never happened, the implication is that he’s a liar. Kraft can call Brady, Belichick or Gronk any time he wants and have them answer. Kurkjian can’t do that, but we should believe him. Also, he doesn’t have to reveal who his sources are, but we’re supposed to accept that they’re real and were telling the truth. This comes after Borges ran with an unverified story from a regular guy and claimed to have other “sources” that confirmed it. Or that the story Kurkjian was selling was based on another regular guy making up a story about upcoming negative news for the Patriots. It’s amazing that there can be crooked cops, lawyers, doctors, investment advisers, etc, but journalists believe they are 100% honest and on the level.

Suzy
    Participant

:lol:

Is this what you want, Nick? Huh? Is this what you want?

That movie doesn’t get enough love around here. And yeah that wedding guy, what a douche.

Kevin
    Participant

🎶🎶Creep, creep, creep of the week, of the week. He or she is the creep of the week. 🎶🎶

Humphrey
    Participant

Sox are on pace to win 109/110 games. Team record is 105. That’s unlikely but to win 100, all they have to do is play .574 ball the rest of the way, equivalent to a 92-70 season. They have won 100 games 3 times in their history, most recently 1946. Yet people complain

The Globe was a tour-de-force the past 3 days in this regard.     Shank, then Nick, then Abraham all took turns bitching.      Nick and Pete Abe seemed to be having a personal “they didn’t win easily enough so I’ll write this” contest.    At least Shank complained after they lost a game.

Participant

:lol: Is this what you want, Nick? Huh? Is this what you want? That movie doesn’t get enough love around here. And yeah that wedding guy, what a douche.

Humphrey
    Participant

So, with U.S., Canada and Mexico hosting the 2026 World Cup. What host country gets the automatic bid? or do all three get in?

There are going to be 48 teams, so maybe all 3.     Maybe less CONCACF bids for that tournament only because of that.   Mexico’s usually a lock anyway

Miserable Fellow
    Participant

There are going to be 48 teams, so maybe all 3. Maybe less CONCACF bids for that tournament only because of that. Mexico’s usually a lock anyway

The US is “usually” a lock too.

Here’s Kurkjian’s tweet again:

There are a number of annoying aspects to this:

• He put out a tweet, but never wrote a story. How fucking lazy is that? This allows him to leave out any number of pertinent details under the protection of the character limitations of a tweet. He also put Stacey James’s unmitigated denial on a separate tweet, so it’s lost in the shuffle. Coward.
    • He put it out at 4:13 the day of the Reddit user’s and Portnoy’s bullshit posts. This assured tons of traffic as both “big Pats news” and “Gronk trade” were  already the buzz.
    • He had zero details, such as when the trades were negotiated, what the comp was,  when Brady made his ultimatum,  when Kraft and Belichick met, and when Kraft nixed the deal. Kraft and BB couldn’t have had a “closed door meeting” Friday, since BB was in NY.
    • As Coma said, his sources were anonymous, so who knows how legit they were,  and how much of that was based on their info and how much was assumption. TEC already confirmed they discussed trading Gronk pre-draft, so maybe that’s what Kurkjian’s sources had two months late and a dollar short. He absolutely put the tweet out when he did to make it sound like it all came down Friday. Kurkjian followed up with this cowardly tweet:

But he offers no followup of over how long s period this took place. He chastises the readers for not understanding the details, but never gives the details. It couldn’t be clearer to me he was trying to deceive people, essentially passing old news off as something breaking.

One more thing I noticed: remember Thornton citing Kurkjian’s tweet as justification for the legitimacy of the rumors he was hearing?

Second, the intel I was working on was probably on the money. At least if you want to believe this Blue Check Mark with the same last name as a respected baseball writer.

But Kurkjian’s tweet couldn’t have been one of Thornton’s sources because its time stamp came hours after Portnoy’s (It’s possible Kurkjian himself was a Thornton source, but I doubt it). I guess Thornton’s sources didn’t bear the Blue Mark of Legitimacy.

Like Coma said, a creditability loop:

PORTNOY: “I’m just going off what Thornton told my employee in confidence. Don’t blame me!”

THORNTON: “Well, I didn’t even run with what I had; won’t make THAT mistake again. Besides, what I had was seemingly justified by this other guy after the fact, because he has the same last name as Tim Kurkjian, who’s very good. Don’t blame me!”

KURKJIAN: “Witness if you will another dimension, a dimension not only of site and sound but of mind. And if there are limitless dimensions, as Hawking posits, there logically must exist this dimension wherein Tom Brady would actually quit over Gronk, Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick can be in the same room despite being in separate cities, and where people actually talk to me and give me a legitimate scoop. Anyway, don’t blame me. It was only a tweet.”

GreatWhiteDhale
    Participant

Here’s Kurkjian’s tweet again:

There are a number of annoying aspects to this:

• He put out a tweet, but never wrote a story. How fucking lazy is that? This allows him to leave out any number of pertinent details under the protection of the character limitations of a tweet. He also put Stacey James’s unmitigated denial on a separate tweet, so it’s lost in the shuffle. Coward.

He freelance. He isn’t going to publish the story unless he gets paid.

Come back, Regular Brian.

My agenda is truth.

He freelance. He isn’t going to publish the story unless he gets paid.

Then it makes even less sense. You’ve got a hot scoop nobody else in town has, one that’s sure to drive traffic, and you waste it on a free tweet rather than shop it? Maybe he did shop, but nobody bought. Or maybe the plan is to get the paying gig based on a hot story with sources you don’t have to attribute to anybody’s satisfaction.

Major Intangibles
    Participant

🎶🎶Creep, creep, creep of the week, of the week. He or she is the creep of the week. 🎶🎶

Dameshek. Another Stillers fan broken by the Patriots.  :lol:

Nothing will be saved. All will be lost. And our new onion-headed sad emoticon is unable to convey the depth of that loss. -10/22/25 (sic) Daily Thread

Participant

Fuck you Jonathan.

Lebron
    Participant

Sup Zo sounds like Bob Zupcic.

jforb
    Participant

Would love to see that photo without sunglasses

Big Fat O
    Participant

There is no one better in this town than Felger at taking a statement from a player and twisting it around to make it sound completely different.

Since Irving didn’t state he wants to stay here forever yesterday that means he wants out and now Ainge will get rid of him.

The best is when the team or player deny everything and are called a liar.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar